• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra |OT| - Saturday Mornings Just Got Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desmond

The Promise- Part 1

As someone else said, it was too short. It was enjoyable though. However, Aang and Katara saying 'sweetie' was so stupid. Looking forward to book 2.

apana

You guys are getting a bit carried away having Amon doing world wide energy bending and having all these strange secrets. I know there will be some twist to him but I want him to be basically what he says he is, someone trying to rid the world of benders because he doesn't want regular people to be a sub-class to the benders.

I think the most obvious way to hurt bending would be to kill the Avatar while she is in the Avatar state, thereby stopping the Avatar cycle. We know it is difficult but can be done, I think Azula shot Aang while he was in that state or entering it. Roku wouldn't have mentioned the dangers of dying in the Avatar state if that state meant you were invincible. That's why Amon says he is saving her for last. He knows just killing her has no value unless she is in that state.

The Promise- Part 1

As someone else said, it was too short. It was enjoyable though. However, Aang and Katara saying 'sweetie' was so stupid. Looking forward to book 2.

Deal with it, sweetie.
It gave me the oogies.

I was thinking, what if Energy bending was the central part of the Plot this time, with Amon trying to realize a plan to take bending away from all benders?

Probably not feasible, but that would be a big "threat" that so far is still missing from the show, at least with the limited information we have.

Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing him win if his plan would rob every bender of their powers.

I mean everyone losing their superpowers kind of sucks, but it would be a more egalitarian society.

Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing him win if his plan would rob every bender of their powers.

I mean everyone losing their superpowers kind of sucks, but it would be a more egalitarian society.

It will never happen, but I hope for a bittersweet ending where Korra dies in the Avatar State and becomes the last Avatar.

CoolS

Even if it doesn't go that far, I would be so happy if it at least became a topic at some point. The Avatar universe has so many possibilities in that regard it isn't even funny anymore.

Just imagine, you are a normal guy like you are now, just in Republic City. You actually enjoy a good life, yet you can't help but be a little bit scared of these people that just happen to be able to use this kind of "magic" whith which they can use elemts to their will. they are easily able to threaten you if they are bad people. In that case, Amon's cause seems like a somehow justified one at first sight.

Of course we all know he has some ulterior motive.
or does he??

Even if it doesn't go that far, I would be so happy if it at least became a topic at some point. The Avatar universe has so many possibilities in that regard it isn't even funny anymore.

Just imagine, you are a normal guy like you are now, just in Republic City. You actually enjoy a good life, yet you can't help but be a little bit scared of these people that just happen to be able to use this kind of "magic" whith which they can use elemts to their will. they are easily able to threaten you if they are bad people. In that case, Amon's cause seems like a somehow justified one at first sight.

or does he??

It will probably be treated like the whole story in Pokemon Black/White where the evil team brings up an entirely valid point that pretty much gets ignored by the protagonist.

Actually... I have a bit of faith in the Avatar Team. Maybe Korra will actually take the valid points to heart and work for a more egalitarian society without robbing everyone of powers, or spilling blood.

And he definitely does have an ulterior motive. I'm expecting him to secretly be a bender at the very least.

It will probably be treated like the whole story in Pokemon Black/White where the evil team brings up an entirely valid point that pretty much gets ignored by the protagonist.

Actually... I have a bit of faith in the Avatar Team. Maybe Korra will actually take the valid points to heart and work for a more egalitarian society without robbing everyone of powers, or spilling blood.

And he definitely does have an ulterior motive. I'm expecting him to secretly be a bender at the very least.

I've noticed that Team Korra conspicuously lacks a nonbender in the vein of Sokka in the original series. Perhaps in Book 2 one of the Equalists will switch sides and persuade Korra to find her own solution.

CoolS

I have high hopes with Bryan and Michael heading this series. If anyone can make it work out without being cheap or anything, it is them.

But I hope Amon isn't a bender. That would be strange to say the least. Plus it would make his motives kind of pointless. Why would he want to end the era of bending then? Or he wants to rule the world with his bending.
Meh I don't know, it all doesn't sound very plausible right now. :D Maybe we can have better theories after the second episode.

I've noticed that Team Korra conspicuously lacks a nonbender in the vein of Sokka in the original series. Perhaps in Book 2 one of the Equalists will switch sides and persuade Korra to find her own solution.
Heh, you're right, didn't even think of that yet.

apana

I'm expecting to them raise some interesting ideas about bender vs regular humans and their motivations but this is not Game of Thrones.

Amom is someone we know or a descendent of someone we know.

I already broke the code.
MWsFO.png

apana

Lin Beifong: If I took that mask off would you die?

Amon: It would be very painful.

Lin: Was getting caught part of your plan?

Amon: Of course!

Blackhead

Redarse

or does he??
Some questions:
  • Are benders powerful enough to hurt 'normal' people without any training? (I recall Katara
    wasn't but perhaps that's just because she was still young...)
  • Do all benders get trained? By whom?

It's not only benders that are bullies in the avatar world of course; we saw Jet wreck havoc on 'normal people' without any special powers.

apana

I think before when the nations were at war there wasn't as much bender vs human conflict because the animosity was directed at the fire kingdom and vice versa but now normal people really have a chance to examine their place in the world relative to the benders. We can't really say how large this movement is and whether or not it is fair. Sometimes a community has legitimate concerns but extremist elements come in and blow things out of proportion.

Bit-Bit

Some questions:
  • Are benders powerful enough to hurt 'normal' people without any training? (I recall Katara
    wasn't but perhaps that's just because she was still young...)
  • Do all benders get trained? By whom?

It's not only benders that are bullies in the avatar world of course; we saw Jet wreck havoc on 'normal people' without any special powers.

Some benders are more gifted than others and they can bend the element by natural extension of their bodies. Others need a teacher to help focus their bending. And their are an abundance of bending teachers. Some are taught by their parents, while others go to school for it. You just have to remember, that bending in the world of Avatar is natural. It's as natural as someone learning to read and write.

Some benders are more gifted than others and they can bend the element by natural extension of their bodies. Others need a teacher to help focus their bending. And their are an abundance of bending teachers. Some are taught by their parents, while others go to school for it. You just have to remember, that bending in the world of Avatar is natural. It's as natural as someone learning to read and write.

Well, no.
Not exactly.
It's more akin to being gifted with higher brain functions (like the ability to remember basically every day of your life) or natural athletic talents (not everyone can run a 4:40, no matter how much they want to).
It's something a person is born with, and can not be learned by everyone.
You have to use and perfect it to get the most out of it.
Some will always be better naturally than through sheer determination.

I think before when the nations were at war there wasn't as much bender vs human conflict because the animosity was directed at the fire kingdom and vice versa but now normal people really have a chance to examine their place in the world relative to the benders. We can't really say how large this movement is and whether or not it is fair. Sometimes a community has legitimate concerns but extremist elements come in and blow things out of proportion.
The difference now is that historically the peoples were divided among the four elements. You were either a Water Tribesman, a Fire National, Air Nomad, or Earth Kingdom subject. The benders were a fundamental part of each culture and there was no reason to question them if you were a nonbender, they were on your team, so to speak. Every nation was proud of them and needed them for protection; we saw how the Fire Nation hunted down and rounded up all the Waterbenders and Earthbenders they could. The Fire Nation knew that taking away the benders was the best way to erase national identity and remove potential threats.

In Republic City the lines between the nations have been erased. In the first episode we saw the Triple Threat Triad, benders from all nations coming together to exploit and oppress the weak together. Meanwhile nonbenders from all nations are also finding their differences eroded.

The irony is that the realization of Aang's dream has created a new cleavage between the benders and nonbenders. Aang's actions have directly led to the problem that Korra now has to face. We know that Republic City is governed by a council of four people; an Airbender, Firebender, Waterbender, and Earthbender. This was obviously originally intended to create harmony and represent all the nations, but in the process it created a system in which nonbenders can never hope to ascend to leadership.

Bit-Bit

Well, no.
Not exactly.
It's more akin to being gifted with higher brain functions (like the ability to remember basically every day of your life) or natural athletic talents (not everyone can run a 4:40, no matter how much they want to).
It's something a person is born with, and can not be learned by everyone.
You have to use and perfect it to get the most out of it.
Some will always be better naturally than through sheer determination.

Maybe read and write is a wrong example. But that's because there's really no real world equivalent.

The difference now is that historically the peoples were divided among the four elements. You were either a Water Tribesman, a Fire National, Air Nomad, or Earth Kingdom subject. The benders were a fundamental part of each culture and there was no reason to question them if you were a nonbender, they were on your team, so to speak. Every nation was proud of them and needed them for protection; we saw how the Fire Nation hunted down and rounded up all the Waterbenders and Earthbenders they could. The Fire Nation knew that taking away the benders was the best way to erase national identity and remove potential threats.

In Republic City the lines between the nations have been erased. In the first episode we saw the Triple Threat Triad, benders from all nations coming together to exploit and oppress the weak together. Meanwhile nonbenders from all nations are also finding their differences eroded.

The irony is that the realization of Aang's dream has created a new cleavage between the benders and nonbenders. Aang's actions have directly led to the problem that Korra now has to face.
Christ. Well put. I hope the people behind the show are aware of this.

The irony is that the realization of Aang's dream has created a new cleavage between the benders and nonbenders. Aang's actions have directly led to the problem that Korra now has to face.

Certainly wouldn't be the first time the Avatar created problems indirectly for their successor.
Bit-Bit said:
Maybe read and write is a wrong example. But that's because there's really no real world equivalent.

Right, though people are born with natural talents that they can exploit and use. Just not quite as extreme as control over the elements.

Christ. Well put. I hope the people behind the show are aware of this.

Of course they are.

Satch

Banned

The irony is that the realization of Aang's dream has created a new cleavage between the benders and nonbenders. Aang's actions have directly led to the problem that Korra now has to face. We know that Republic City is governed by a council of four people; an Airbender, Firebender, Waterbender, and Earthbender. This was obviously originally intended to create harmony and represent all the nations, but in the process it created a system in which nonbenders can never hope to ascend to leadership.

Damn straight.

AMEN AMON

apana

Yeah that's what I was getting at. I don't really think Aang's dream had anything to do with it, it's just one of those things that had to happen unless the world was going to remain completely tribal.

iavi

Yeh, it's the reason I believe one of the major points of the show, if not the biggest one ultimately will be Korra, herself, first learning
to face issues systematically, without the brute force/bending her character has shown to first exert, then extending that to the other benders/republic city using her position as the avatar.

Wiseblade

Damn straight.

AMEN AMON

The equalist movement is just bitter IMO. It's not like all or even a majority of benders oppress non-benders or that the only application of bending are violent ones. It's just a case of some people having a power other don't, and a subset of people using those powers for intimidation.

That said, having a police force made up entirely of benders is super suspicious.

I wouldn't take that as a given. I've been a fan of plenty of shows where it was obvious in which direction the general theme should head but the showrunner(s) seemingly missed it and went down a completely nonsensical path.

But it's been a recurring theme that the current Avatar has to deal with the messes left for them by their predecessors. In fact, some people could argue that Avatars throw the world out of balance as much as they preserve it.

apana

The equalist movement is just bitter IMO. It's not like all or even a majority of benders oppress non-benders or that the only application of bending are violent ones. It's just a case of some people having a power other don't, and a subset of people using those powers for intimidation.

That said, having a police force made up entirely of benders is super suspicious.

Sometimes a subset of people can cause a lot of havoc because others are indifferent or tacitly support those sorts of activities.

But it's been a recurring theme that the current Avatar has to deal with the messes left for them by their predecessors. In fact, some people could argue that Avatars through the world out of balance as much as they preserve it.

Not really.

CoolS

Not really.

Yes you can. Past Avatars decisivly altered the course the world has been taking at the time, Aang and his friends being the best and most recent example. He stopped a war that had been destroying the whole world for a hundred years and afterward he created a new era where people are able to think about stuff like benders having too much power. It's a 'luxury' that wouldn't been there without Aang the Avatar.

Hell, if Aang didn't stop Ozai, the fire nation might rule the majority of the world and a good number of other benders would be imprisoned, with the rest being hunted.

Edit: Just realized I kind of missed your point. Let me work on that for a sec.

You could argue they throw the world out of balance. Yes, in the end it is the Avatars duty to guide the world and make it go into the right direction. But because the Avatar is that powerful, he also changes the 'natural' progression of the world. Who knows what the world might be like without the Avatar. The Fire Nation might rule everyone. There might be not advanced technology like cars which likely were made possible through the exchange of minds from all nations. Its the Avatars doing that creates these things, which can be seen as throwing the world out of balance.

Another example would be Roku's failure with Sozin. His actions, or the actions he didn't take resulted in a war that lasted a whole century, tore the world apart and almost stopped the Avatar cycle. You could say that Roku threw the world out of balance because he didn't live up to his 'responsibility' in stopping the Fire lord.

If you look at it like that, it really isn't normal that one person is granted the power to change the whole world so fundamentally just because he or she was born as the Avatar.

God, I love this show and the universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom