• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra |OT| - Saturday Mornings Just Got Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

Yes you can. Past Avatars decisivly altered the course the world has been taking at the time, Aang and his friends being the best and most recent example. He stopped a war that had been destroying the whole world for a hundred years and afterward he created a new era where people are able to think about stuff like benders having too much power. It's a 'luxury' that wouldn't been there without Aang the Avatar.

Hell, if Aang didn't stop Ozai, the fire nation might rule the majority of the world and a good number of other benders would be imprisoned, with the rest being hunted.

Edit: Just realized I kind of missed your point. Let me work on that for a sec.

You could argue they throw the world out of balance. Yes, in the end it is the Avatars duty to guide the world an make it go into the right direction. But because the Avatar is that powerful, he also changes the 'natural' progression of the world. Who knows what the world might be like without the Avatar. The Fire Nation might rule everyone. There might be not advanced technology like cars which likely were made possible through the exchange of minds from all nations. Its the Avatars doing that creates these things, which can be seen as throwing the world out of balance.

Another example would be Roku's failure with Sozin. His actions, or the actions he didn't take resulted in a war that lasted a whole century, tore the world apart and almost stopped the Avatar cycle. You could say that Roku threw the world out of balance because he didn't live up to his 'responsibility' in stopping the Fire lord.

If you look at it like that, it really isn't normal that one person is granted the power to change the whole world so fundamentally just because he or she was born as the Avatar.

God, I love this show and the universe.

The whole thing goes to show that there is no set balance, and that what's 'best' is relative to the time. The Fire Nation was the obvious baddy of Aangs, and needed to be put down, but with the peace that he created came in-fighting, as will Korra's peace, in likeliness.

In other words,
SEQUEL HEAVEN

CoolS

The whole thing goes to show that there is no set balance, and that what's 'best' is relative to the time. The Fire Nation was the obvious baddy of Aangs, and needed to be put down, but with the peace that he created came in-fighting, as will Korra's peace, in likeliness.

In other words,
SEQUEL HEAVEN
Oh definitely. The interesting fact is that it is for the Avatar to decide what is 'best'. I can see people not liking the thought of that. That's why I want to see Korra having to deal with her destiny while still finding a way to somehow honor the wishes of the people, benders and non-benders.

apana

No one can solve all the problems of the world. Just because a new problem arises after one is solved doesn't mean the Avatar doesn't have an overall positive effect.

The equalist movement is just bitter IMO. It's not like all or even a majority of benders oppress non-benders or that the only application of bending are violent ones. It's just a case of some people having a power other don't, and a subset of people using those powers for intimidation.

That said, having a police force made up entirely of benders is super suspicious.

The police force is not entirely comprised of benders, when Korra goes fishing illegally in the park you can see a nonbender cop chase her off. The Metalbenders seem to be like SWAT teams sent in to deal with serious threats. It makes sense, because they're the only ones who can easily restrain other benders.

I feel that the Equalists actually have a good point. As I mentioned in my edit, we already know that the governing council of Republic City centralizes power in four benders representing each of the elements. This means that nonbenders are not represented and can never hope to have one of their own ascend to power. The council was supposed to represent unity and bring the nations together, but it was also inadvertently exclusionary. The nonbenders have no current stake in government and no reason to accept its legitimacy.

Throw in some violent bending gangs and the nonbenders might ask why the council is not doing more to protect their interests, to which Amon might channel Kanye West and say, they don't care about nonbenders.

CoolS

No one can solve all the problems of the world. Just because a new problem arises after one is solved doesn't mean the Avatar doesn't have an overall positive effect.

I agree with you that the Avatar always ends up having a positive effect on the world and it's course.
But I also could see people arguing otherwise (like the anti bender movement probably will in some way). Whether its for the right reasons or not is a different question.

The police force is not entirely comprised of benders, when Korra goes fishing illegally in the park you can see a nonbender cop chase her off. The Metalbenders seem to be like SWAT teams sent in to deal with serious threats. It makes sense, because they're the only ones who can easily restrain other benders.

I feel that the Equalists actually have a good point. As I mentioned in my edit, we already know that the governing council of Republic City centralizes power in four benders representing each of the elements. This means that nonbenders are not represented and can never hope to have one of their own ascend to power. The council was supposed to represent unity and bring the nations together, but it was also inadvertently exclusionary.

I need to rewatch the episode again it seems, I didn't even catch that that guy was from the police, I thought he was just a random guard.

Same goes for the council stuff, I didn't get it was only composed of four members from each bending school (nation). It really is a product of the old way of thinking in nations then. Which is kind of ironic in it's own way, since Republic City represents a new era of sorts.

I need to rewatch the episode again it seems, I didn't even catch that that guy was from the police, I thought he was just a random guard.
He clearly has a uniform that's a sort of Chinese take on the classic British constable; back during the panels the creators talked about how they were going for that aesthetic for the police force. I think they may even have shown a sketch of a regular cop like that, not sure.

Same goes for the council stuff, I didn't get it was only composed of four members from each bending school (nation). It really is a product of the old way of thinking in nations then. Which is kind of ironic in it's own way, since Republic City represents a new era of sorts.

The council stuff was explicitly stated in one of the early panels, and yes Aang clearly intended for it to be a way of achieving harmony between the nations. National tensions were the problem of his age. If you've read The Promise you can see why it was necessary at the time. Of course he had no way of knowing that it would only lead to more problems down the line.

CoolS

He clearly has a uniform that's a sort of Chinese take on the classic British constable; back during the panels the creators talked about how they were going for that aesthetic for the police force. I think they may even have shown a sketch of a regular cop like that, not sure.

The council stuff was explicitly stated in one of the early panels.

It certainly makes sense that the police force can't be composed of only metal benders, that would be overkill.

Thanks for clearing that up about the council :)

Edit: and note to myself: read The Promise

On an unrelated note, I finally ordered the TLA Artbook and will read that tomorrow. I hope it's good.

Satch

Banned
Maybe midnight.

tumblr_m1cnkiCpGe1qln4oso1_500.jpg

Googles syndrome. Eurghh Incredibles.
I would rather it be based on Chinese mythology, than Pixar mythology

Very little, if any, of Avatar is actually based on real Chinese mythology. It's more of a general Asian aesthetic and a Western perception of pan-Asian culture. The only thing that is authentic are the martial arts movements for bending. If you were ever under the impression that Avatar is even trying to provide a legitimate representation of Asian culture, you've been sorely mistaken. That's never been the goal and it never will be.

As an aside, as a tea enthusiast the portrayal of Iroh's tea obsession has always been a pet peeve of mine. It's totally inaccurate.

apana

Avatar borrows elements from a lot of asian cultures. Obviously the Indian influence is apparent given the term Avatar and reincarnation but there are many others.

Avatar borrows elements from a lot of asian cultures. Obviously the Indian influence is apparent given the term Avatar and reincarnation but there are many others.

The idea of reincarnation is not unique to Asian religions, and the portrayal in Avatar is very very different from what you see in the actual mythology. Like I said, it's not an accurate portrayal of Asian culture and is not pretending to be. It's Asian culture viewed through the eyes of the west, and it is magnificent for what it is. Just don't pretend that it's something it's not.

apana

The idea of reincarnation is not unique to Asian religions, and the portrayal in Avatar is very very different from what you see in the actual mythology. Like I said, it's not an accurate portrayal of Asian culture and is not pretending to be. It's Asian culture viewed through the eyes of the west, and it is magnificent for what it is. Just don't pretend that it's something it's not.

Of course Avatar is its own show and a new fictional world. You can borrow elements from different Asian mythologies and religions without it having to be a cut and paste job. Also reincarnation is not only an Asian thing but lets be real here, the kind of reincarnation we see in the show and most people's modern day conception of reincarnation comes from hindu and buddhist traditions. It is a guess on my part but reincarnation probably originated in India or with Indo-European cultures. Some of the earliest writings on the topic came from India and Greece but we know according to Vedic traditions that much of what the Indians knew/believed they did not write down at first.

Jintor

I guess us overseas folk will just have to wait until it's inevitably ripped from their webpage and spread out across the interwebs.

So a matter of hours then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom