• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra |OT| - Saturday Mornings Just Got Better

Status
Not open for further replies.
HdOIF.gif

Korra is the Dragon reborn!

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I just watched The Last Airbender movie, whadafuh? It's like no one actually was bothered to watch the source material and just sorta guessed how it's supposed to be.

No one who'd seen the tv show stopped and went "Uh wait a second guys, why do you keep saying uhvatar and uhng and eeroh?"

It wasn't THAT bad considering they had to condense about 7 and a half hours of material into 1 and a half, but why skip on the easy stuff?

Demy

I just watched The Last Airbender movie, whadafuh? It's like no one actually was bothered to watch the source material and just sorta guessed how it's supposed to be.

No one who'd seen the tv show stopped and went "Uh wait a second guys, why do you keep saying uhvatar and uhng and eeroh?"

It wasn't THAT bad considering they had to condense about 7 and a half hours of material into 1 and a half, but why skip on the easy stuff?

I was ready to forgive so much given the season to movie conversion but you're right, no one bothered to stop and let M know that his pile of shit was just getting bigger. Even a descent ending would've have made a world of difference but it's like he identified what we want and purposefully left it all out.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I was ready to forgive so much given the season to movie conversion but you're right, no one bothered to stop and let M know that his pile of shit was just getting bigger. Even a descent ending would've have made a world of difference but it's like he identified what we want and purposefully left it all out.

I looked around and apparently they didn't sound asian enough, or they were pronounced wrong in the cartoon.

Let's try to give real world credence to a movie where they're moving rocks with kung-fu, and apparently make the fire nation all indian but give them feudal japan style clothes and armor. Makes perfect sense.

Another that was weird for no reason was Iroh was super scary because he was the only one who could make fire from nothing, what about being able to make lightning instead of just fire wasn't good enough?

Is this movie going to get a sequel? It's really on the precipice of being good, it needs to not be afraid of being 2+ hours long, fix the editing, and it needs to not half-ass sticking to the source material and it really wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen.

CoolS

Oh, people did let him know and critisised him for it. His answer? That he his Indian and since Avatar is connected to his culture somehow, he knows best how things are pronounced and the fans should stfu.

I'm not kidding. I can't find the interview anymore but that is basically what he was saying. That's why I'll never watch that piece of shit movie.

Is this movie going to get a sequel? It's really on the precipice of being good, it needs to not be afraid of being 2+ hours long, fix the editing, and it needs to not half-ass sticking to the source material and it really wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen.

If they were planning on it, we would have heard by now. I guess since the movie was universally hated they will let the franchise rest for a long time now IF they ever ressurect it. And if they do, they should do a reboot without M. night. schamlamasmadingdong

Anyone got a youtube link?

Violet_0

Banned
the chi-blockers design looks amazing

as for the movie, I was disappointed by how relatively medicore it was when really I was expecting a cinematic disaster. The plan was to get drunk and have a good time, but it was no fun at all :-/ (well, okay, there was one good moment).

UrbanRats

Oh ok, so i'm on par.

The Avatar movie is one of the worst i've ever seen, no joke.
EVERYTHING is bad, except maybe the special effects (which are not outstanding anyway, some of the compositions are weird).

Oh, people did let him know and critisised him for it. His answer? That he his Indian and since Avatar is connected to his culture somehow, he knows best how things are pronounced and the fans should stfu.

I'm not kidding. I can't find the interview anymore but that is basically what he was saying. That's why I'll never watch that piece of shit movie.

Eh, that was the least of the movie's problems.

Actually, in some (or perhaps many) countries' dubs of the show the pronounciation of Avatar, Aang and Iroh is exactly the same as in the movie, here's an example for Aang from Germany (at the beginning when Katara speaks): YT

The show takes a lot of inspiration from various Asian cultures and the pronounciation of some of the names or words in the show isn't true to those cultures, so i could definitely see where he was coming from with the changes, but on the other hand since the world of the show IS fictional, the creators don't really have to 100% adhere to them. It can go both ways really. One could say that the original dub in the language of the creators trumps everything, but if we look at something like Fullmetal Alchemist, where the main characters live in a country that has heavy European (or German, iirc) influences and the same goes for their names, those names are pronounced how japanese people would pronounce them. If an international live action movie was made of it, should the characters be named Ed and Al, or Edu and Aru, to stay true to the show? Personally, i wouldn't have minded the names in the TLA film if the rest wasn't so disappointing.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Oh ok, so i'm on par.

The Avatar movie is one of the worst i've ever seen, no joke.
EVERYTHING is bad, except maybe the special effects (which are not outstanding anyway, some of the compositions are weird).

There were two things I liked about the movie. I liked the guy they got to play Iroh, and to look for Aang, with a decent script and acting coach, he would have done it well I think.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Aang was awful. His face was way too round and puffy, he looked like an oversized baby.

CoolS

Eh, that was the least of the movie's problems.

Actually, in some (or perhaps many) countries' dubs the pronounciation of Avatar, Aang and Iroh in the show is exactly the same as in the movie, here's an example for Aang from Germany (at the beginning when Katara speaks): YT

I didn't watch the movie and don't plan to do it so I can't reply to most things, objectively.

As for the pronounciation of the names: If somebody is as big of a fan of the series like M. Night claims to be, just stay true to the source material. It really isn't a big deal.

As for the dub's in other countries: I can actually understand that. It's a kids show, and with your example, the German version, it makes sense that way since you would read the name Aang like that here in Germany. It would/could be confusing for kids to use the original pronounciation.

And they're making a fucking sequel...
Seriously? Please tell me it's a reboot and not an actual sequel.

but if we look at something like Fullmetal Alchemist, where the main characters live in a country that has heavy European (or German, iirc) influences and the same goes for their names, those names are pronounced how japanese people would pronounce them. If an international live action movie was made of it, should the characters be named Ed and Al, or Edu and Aru, to stay true to the show? Personally, i wouldn't have minded the names in the TLA film if the rest wasn't so disappointing.

This is a pretty terrible example considering Japanese lacks certain sounds in their language. Calling them "Edu" and "Aru" wasn't a stylistic choice on part of the creator.

English doesn't lack the phonemes for "Ah-vatar" and "Ah-ng." If the creators wanted it pronounced that way they could have easily done so.

This is a pretty terrible example considering Japanese lacks certain sounds in their language. Calling them "Edu" and "Aru" wasn't a stylistic choice on part of the creator.

English doesn't lack the phonemes for "Ah-vatar" and "Ah-ng." If the creators wanted it pronounced that way they could have easily done so.

Fair enough, i'm sure there are better examples, it was just the first thing i thought of. My point was that since the word Avatar is of Hindu origin, i could see where he was coming from with all of this and it wouldn't have bothered me if his apparent passion for the material translated into a quality film. I really hoped that it would be a return to form for him, but it was not to be. Our only solace is that his daughters probably hate him now for what he did to their favorite cartoon. :lol

Thankfully the whole debacle had no negative impact on LoK.

Looking great.
Mako and Korra getting their ass kicked by none benders (probably normal mooks) make the whole thing much more interesting than it already was.

That is probably because they were first introduced. You'll see, in future episode they will be
be able to go through 10-20 of them without a problem.

Like the
Sentinels from X-Men.

Mr. Sam

The original series never really suffered from the law of inverse ninja strength or villain degradation, I don't see why LoK would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom