• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild: Possible Timeline Convergence? What I know!

RagnarokX

Sorta what I was thinking...but it seems ongoing maintenance or crafting might be the name of the game. Maybe this Master Sword grows stronger with every major dungeon or boss defeat, like Link gaining an extra heart?

Given the focus on finding weapons, I imagine the Master Sword will stay in a useless state for most of the game since it would be an unbreakable weapon. There will probably be a quest for an unbreakable shield like in Skyward Sword, as well, though I imagine perfect shielding will prevent durability loss like in Skyward Sword.

SephLuis

I still think this is a Wind Waker timeline title. Even in WW there were technology elements that were never explained.

Falcs

Banned
It amazes me how much thought people put into the Zelda timeline.
To me, each game is just it's own story (except, obviously, for the direct sequels, like Majora's Mask and the Phantom Hourglass). Sure, there's references to past games and what not, but I'm pretty sure when they make the games, they just start a new story.
It's like Final Fantasy; new, different story with each game, except with Zelda, they just keep using the same setting and characters.
When I generally play a Zelda game, I see it as if it's the only one that exists.

But it is interesting reading all of everyone's different theories.

Big One

Banned
Really the key to determining timeline placement lies primarily in the Master Sword. Let's look at the fate of the Master Sword in all three timelines.

Adult Timeline - Nearly 1000 years after the events of Ocarina of Time, the Master Sword remained sealed away in Hyrule Castle (likely extended to be combined with the Temple of Time) and is currently sealed inside of Ganon's skull on the bottom of the ocean. Even if Hyrule came back in some capacity thanks to the Koroks, it would take a considerable amount of time for the Temple of Time and/or the Master Sword to get in their rotted positions. So if Breath of the Wild takes place after Wind Waker, you could probably add another 1000 years to that timeline which is waaay into the future of the series. Not to mention how Hyrule's ancient history was not forgotten in Breath of the Wild's timespan, unlike in Wind Waker. UNLIKELY

Child Timeline - Master Sword was last seen in a decayed Temple of Time in a forest. Ganon's "spirit" still alive inside the Four Sword. Least tragic of the three timelines. POSSIBLE

Downfall Timeline - Last seen in the Lost Woods in what can be presumed to be the ancient Temple of Time. However the Temple of Time building doesn't exist anymore like it does in Breath of the Wild. Also exists in an era where Hylia's legend would likely to die off due to Ganon's extended battle after the events of Ocarina of Time. POSSIBLE BUT UNLIKELY

KHlover

Banned
To me, each game is just it's own story (except, obviously, for the direct sequels, like Majora's Mask and the Phantom Hourglass). Sure, there's references to past games and what not, but I'm pretty sure when they make the games, they just start a new story.
It's like Final Fantasy; new, different story with each game, except with Zelda, they just keep using the same setting and characters.
When I generally play a Zelda game, I see it as if it's the only one that exists.

Eh, even ignoring the official timeline we still have explicitly direct sequels like

Zelda 1 -> Zelda 2

ALTTP -> Link's Awakening -> Oracle games

Wind Waker -> Phantom Hourglass -> Spirit Tracks

OOT -> Majora's Mask

etc.

Never worked like in FF, but even that series has some direct sequels.

I'm thinking BotW will also serve as a way to commemorate the franchise history. Already we see a lot of elements from SS, OOT, WW, TP and the original Zelda in this demo alone. You can see a lot of gameplay elements, characters, building structures, and some plot related things that are taken and expanded upon from those Zelda titles. I suspect we will also see some elements from ALTTP, Zelda 2, MM and hopefully LA. Here is my theory:

Game takes place a hundred years after OOT in the Fallen Link timeline. This game is meant to parallel WW and TP. After Link fails, the Sheikah army attacks. Zelda and the sages escape and they somehow get Link to a restoration pod. The Sheikah robot army battles against Ganon and his forces. However, Ganon has the entire triforce so he is unstoppable and becomes a God like entity akin to Demise. The geography begins to change, Death Mountain becomes a Volcano, Sea levels begin to rise, etc. as we saw happen in Adult Link OoT timeline and in WW. Zelda and the seven sages seal Ganon in Hyrule Castle and Zelda enters a 1000 year slumber like Hylia and SS Zelda did to contain Ganon. Hyrule's lands and nature began to recover after Ganon was contained. OoT Zelda is the "first Zelda" that was asleep for a long time in a hidden tower in Zelda 2. The Old Man is actually Zelda's brother referred to in Zelda 2 as well. He betrayed Zelda to Ganon and felt a lot of guilt and shame for his actions that haunted him the rest of his life. Sheik does return in the game and she is Zelda as well. This Zelda is a great granddaughter of the prince. Ocarina of Time will be the musical instrument for the game. The Great Plateau is where castle town used to be. If you pay attention to the wall structure along the perimeter, the exact same temple of time, and general proximity to Hyrule Castle, I'd say signs point to this being Castle Town from OoT. The Koroks are likely related to some sidequests where you get some sort of reward from the Deku Tree for finding and sending the Koroks on their way back home. Kokiri just evolve into Koroks in response to a post-Apocalyptic Hyrule. Zora survived since they are in ALTTP and ALBW. Gorons could've moved to a different mountain range. There are 7 towns and they are named after the 7 OoT sages since those sages helped save the world and it'd be a callback to Zelda 2. While I know it doesn't 100% follow the backstory established in ALTTP or Zelda 2, the developers never perfectly follow the backstories of previous Zelda titles.

Thoughts?

RagnarokX

The problem with that is that EVERY Zelda has been a sequel or prequel. They've always been explicit about it.

• Zelda 1 - The first game. Had nothing to tie in to.
  • Zelda 2 - A direct sequel to Zelda 1 starring the same Link from Zelda 1. Reveals the existence of the triforce of courage which was absent from Zelda 1 and explains the legend of the sleeping Zelda.
  • A Link to the Past - A prequel to the first 2 games. Gives backstory on the triforce and Ganon.
  • Link's Awakening - A direct sequel to ALttP
  • Oracles - Direct sequel to ALttP
  • Ocarina of Time - Prequel to ALttP based on the backstory told in ALttP. Shows the origin of Ganondorf.
  • Majora's Mask - Direct sequel to OoT
  • Wind Waker - Sequel to OoT with very explicit references in game. In the lead up to its release is when Miyamoto and Aonuma revealed that there was a split timeline following OoT.
  • Phantom Hourglass - Direct Sequel to WW.
  • Spirit Tracks - Sequel to WW and PH with explicit references.
  • Twilight Princess - Sequel to OoT with explicit references. Understanding elements of this game's plot involving Ganon requires understanding OoT.
  • Skyward Sword - Prequel to everything made explicitly to show the origins of Hyrule, Zelda, and the Master Sword.

Minish Cap was made as a prequel to OoT, but it and the other Four Swords games have no in-game references that place them explicitly in the timeline like the games above.

The only things fans ever legitimately argued about was where in the timeline the pre-OoT games and Four Sword games took place, because prior to Hyrule Historia there were only 2 timelines split from OoT and fans weren't sure which of the two ALttP was in. MOST Zelda games are explicit about where they fall in line.

Big One

Banned
Eh, even ignoring the official timeline we still have explicitly direct sequels like

Zelda 1 -> Zelda 2

ALTTP -> Link's Awakening -> Oracle games

Wind Waker -> Phantom Hourglass -> Spirit Tracks

OOT -> Majora's Mask

etc.

Never worked like in FF, but even that series has some direct sequels.
You also have to take in account the seqeuls/prequels that do not contain the same Link as well. Such as Skyward Sword -> Ocarina of Time, Ocarina of Time -> A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time -> Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time -> Wind Waker, and etc. were all heavily implied and sometimes downright stated in-game to be directly connected with each other, even ignoring the developer interviews that confirms these things.

RagnarokX

Really the key to determining timeline placement lies primarily in the Master Sword. Let's look at the fate of the Master Sword in all three timelines.

Adult Timeline - Nearly 1000 years after the events of Ocarina of Time, the Master Sword remained sealed away in Hyrule Castle (likely extended to be combined with the Temple of Time) and is currently sealed inside of Ganon's skull on the bottom of the ocean. Even if Hyrule came back in some capacity thanks to the Koroks, it would take a considerable amount of time for the Temple of Time and/or the Master Sword to get in their rotted positions. So if Breath of the Wild takes place after Wind Waker, you could probably add another 1000 years to that timeline which is waaay into the future of the series. Not to mention how Hyrule's ancient history was not forgotten in Breath of the Wild's timespan, unlike in Wind Waker. UNLIKELY

Child Timeline - Master Sword was last seen in a decayed Temple of Time in a forest. Ganon's "spirit" still alive inside the Four Sword. Least tragic of the three timelines. POSSIBLE

Downfall Timeline - Last seen in the Lost Woods in what can be presumed to be the ancient Temple of Time. However the Temple of Time building doesn't exist anymore like it does in Breath of the Wild. Also exists in an era where Hylia's legend would likely to die off due to Ganon's extended battle after the events of Ocarina of Time. POSSIBLE BUT UNLIKELY

BotW can't be before TP and the Temple of Time is in a much worse state of decay in TP than it is in BotW.

The game likely takes place in the Downfall Timeline immediately following OoT long before ALttP. The Temple of Time is there and not that badly ruined. The last known whereabouts of the Master Sword would have been in Link's battle with Ganon, where it likely got damaged when Link was defeated. It was taken some place for safe keeping.

Aonuma hinted pretty strongly the game is 100 years after OoT.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
there isnt an abundance of tech. even those big towers arent there at the beginning of BotW according Anouma. he said that Link ''does something'' that causes them to appear early in the game. all of the enemies we have seen, aside from the guardians which also appear to have ''awoken'' from a stone like state, are living in caves, huts, etc..

i am 100 percent in the fallen timeline camp. after zelda 2 is my guess

We actually see Link activate the Towers in some of the gameplay videos.

BotW can't be before TP and the Temple of Time is in a much worse state of decay in TP than it is in BotW.

The game likely takes place in the Downfall Timeline immediately following OoT long before ALttP. The Temple of Time is there and not that badly ruined. The last known whereabouts of the Master Sword would have been in Link's battle with Ganon, where it likely got damaged when Link was defeated. It was taken some place for safe keeping.

It's either this, or before the flood in the adult timeline.
In both of these instances we have a Ganon running wild, unchecked by a Link, which could easily lead to the what we have seen in Breath of the Wild.

OnFire331

It's either this, or before the flood in the adult timeline.
In both of these instances we have a Ganon running wild, unchecked by a Link, which could easily lead to the what we have seen in Breath of the Wild.

I don't think it's before the flood, WW was pretty explicit when it said that a hero didn't rise up to defeat Ganon. I really like the idea of this being the Fallen Hero timeline, we haven't seen the events of the The Imprisoning War yet. It could also be another resurrection of Ganon story (there's been 4 already in this timeline).

Mael

Downfall timeline is when Link is defeated.
Link is defeated BEFORE encountering Ganondorf at the end of the game.
We know that Link didn't manage to get all the sages if only for Nabooru.
How? If he got the Desert Sage medallion that would mean he killed Kotake&Koume as the bosses of the Spirit Temple.
BUT they're alive and well by the time the Oracle games happen.
That means the downfall temple happens before these events.
Link was defeated but he didn't encounter Ganondorf, he just failed.

Xemnas89

Given the focus on finding weapons, I imagine the Master Sword will stay in a useless state for most of the game since it would be an unbreakable weapon. There will probably be a quest for an unbreakable shield like in Skyward Sword, as well, though I imagine perfect shielding will prevent durability loss like in Skyward Sword.
It would be a crazy twist if you get the master sword and then it breaks. Truly breaking the conventions of zelda.

RagnarokX

Downfall timeline is when Link is defeated.
Link is defeated BEFORE encountering Ganondorf at the end of the game.
We know that Link didn't manage to get all the sages if only for Nabooru.
How? If he got the Desert Sage medallion that would mean he killed Kotake&Koume as the bosses of the Spirit Temple.
BUT they're alive and well by the time the Oracle games happen.
That means the downfall temple happens before these events.
Link was defeated but he didn't encounter Ganondorf, he just failed.

None of this is official though. The Oracle games could have had a different Kotake and Koume or they could have resurrected. After all we have different Tingles across the ages and if the Hero of Time can be resurrected so can other people.

Also I had an interesting idea that I doubt Nintendo will do but it would explain why the 3rd timeline split happened:

You know how in OoT the Master Sword has an age requirement to use it that no other game has? I was thinking what if in the original timeline there was no age requirement. Link wielded the Master Sword as a child and was defeated as a child. Someone was sent back in time via the Ocarina of Time and changed the past so that Link was placed in stasis for 7 years when he pulled the Master Sword.

Fandangox

Speaking of breaking conventions, wasn't one of them "playing by yourself"? do you think maybe they dropped that idea, or they haven't revealed it yet? Maybe some background online thing?

Speaking of breaking conventions, wasn't one of them "playing by yourself"? do you think maybe they dropped that idea, or they haven't revealed it yet? Maybe some background online thing?
Wasn't that breaking conventions slide about the future of the Zelda series in general? Wouldn't Hyrule Warriors and Triforce Heroes that released a few years after, technically count?

KingBroly

Banned

I doubt online's a thing with this Zelda game. It feels very solo-oriented.

Now if they gave us Hyrule Warriors Ultimate Edition with online co-op in every mode...that'd be just swell.

Mariolee

Would laugh if this is a fourth timeline. I do like however if this details the Imprisoning War like Ocarina of Time was supposed to.

Poyunch

I don't know if it's been mentioned before but I think to draw another connection to Wind Waker, is the fact that in Wind Waker the Master Sword was also used to seal Ganon's forces in Hyrule Castle. Maybe it's a similar deal?

Mael

None of this is official though. The Oracle games could have had a different Kotake and Koume or they could have resurrected. After all we have different Tingles across the ages and if the Hero of Time can be resurrected so can other people.

We don't know if the Hero of Time was resurrected or not.
And even if he was that's really 1 special case.
On top of that, the ritual to revive Ganon is all kinds of complicated in the Downfall timeline.
There's an issue if K&K were resurrected : who brought them back, Ganondorf clearly gave way less of a shit than ever in the other timeline where they died.
That reminds me that on top of that Volvogia is also still alive by Zelda 2 (same name in Japanese and was even retranslated as such in Zelda 2 rerelease on GBA).
So this would point at Link being defeated even before the Fire temple (and would explain the distinct lack of Goron that is really just because the games were made pre OoT but still lore-wise it would be because Volvogia ate them all).
I think K&K are different from Tingle because to begin with Tingle is like a joke character so it's kinda like ascribing logic to something like Squirel girl in comics or OnePunchMan.
K&K have a narrative reason to exist and fulfill the same in all of their 2 appearances.
They're supposed to be the nurses of the Gerudo King after all, considering that this King is only coming once per century they can certainly have very long lives.
So there's no reason to expect them to die between OoT and the Oracle games.
It fits for the downfall timeline to have Link fail before the end of the OoT, it could be as early as the fire Temple though (or maybe Ganondorf killed Link on the bridge and got the triforce by looting Link's corpse and getting a good swim lol).

Also I had an interesting idea that I doubt Nintendo will do but it would explain why the 3rd timeline split happened:

You know how in OoT the Master Sword has an age requirement to use it that no other game has? I was thinking what if in the original timeline there was no age requirement. Link wielded the Master Sword as a child and was defeated as a child. Someone was sent back in time via the Ocarina of Time and changed the past so that Link was placed in stasis for 7 years when he pulled the Master Sword.

That's very cool.
I only see 1 issue with that :
who would that be?
Maybe there's someone you encounter twice as child Link and never as adult Link...

Would laugh if this is a fourth timeline. I do like however if this details the Imprisoning War like Ocarina of Time was supposed to.

I'm thinking that the Imprisoning war is Castlevania 1999 AD event.
We're NEVER going to see this.

RagnarokX

We don't know if the Hero of Time was resurrected or not.
And even if he was that's really 1 special case.
On top of that, the ritual to revive Ganon is all kinds of complicated in the Downfall timeline.
There's an issue if K&K were resurrected : who brought them back, Ganondorf clearly gave way less of a shit than ever in the other timeline where they died.
That reminds me that on top of that Volvogia is also still alive by Zelda 2 (same name in Japanese and was even retranslated as such in Zelda 2 rerelease on GBA).
So this would point at Link being defeated even before the Fire temple (and would explain the distinct lack of Goron that is really just because the games were made pre OoT but still lore-wise it would be because Volvogia ate them all).
I think K&K are different from Tingle because to begin with Tingle is like a joke character so it's kinda like ascribing logic to something like Squirel girl in comics or OnePunchMan.
K&K have a narrative reason to exist and fulfill the same in all of their 2 appearances.
They're supposed to be the nurses of the Gerudo King after all, considering that this King is only coming once per century they can certainly have very long lives.
So there's no reason to expect them to die between OoT and the Oracle games.
It fits for the downfall timeline to have Link fail before the end of the OoT, it could be as early as the fire Temple though (or maybe Ganondorf killed Link on the bridge and got the triforce by looting Link's corpse and getting a good swim lol).

That's very cool.
I only see 1 issue with that :
who would that be?
Maybe there's someone you encounter twice as child Link and never as adult Link...

I'm thinking that the Imprisoning war is Castlevania 1999 AD event.
We're NEVER going to see this.

I'm saying this game is about the Hero of Time being resurrected, so if that's the case then K&K can also be resurrected and their deaths wouldn't be an issue.

Ganon spontaneously reincarnated in FSA, so they didn't necessarily have to have someone bring them back to life.

Volvagia was dead at the beginning of OoT. Ganon brought him back to life. He doesn't need to be alive at the end of OoT to be alive again Zelda 2.

Tingle isn't the only character like that. There's also Link, Zelda, Impa, Beedle, Guru Guru, etc.

K&K could also be ghosts.

Remember how Ocarina time travel works. The person sent back in time replaces their duplicate in the past. So Link wouldn't encounter a duplicate of this person and this person would still exist after the 7 years. Best bet would be Rauru since he's the one that puts Link in stasis.

KingBroly

Banned

Surprise! Ganon's from the future where he has become an Evil Deity and has merged the timelines of future and present into one.

I think a downfall OoT sequel is possible but it's gotta be more than 100 years in the future. I mean in OoT the Sheikah are barely there but BotW's backstory has the Sheikah develop some mean tech, build structures throughout the land and have a reputation as renowned heroes and then have all that decay into history.

That would also give away that Ganon doesn't die in BotW since he'd need to be sealed away for ALttP. Kind of ruins OoT's status as the Imprisoning War since that wouldn't be the reason Ganon is sealed for ALttP, the new game would.

Fandangox

Wasn't that breaking conventions slide about the future of the Zelda series in general? Wouldn't Hyrule Warriors and Triforce Heroes that released a few years after, technically count?

Uh, maybe, but given the context I thought they were just talking about the new Zelda on that one.

Mak

In the downfall timeline, the Hero of Time is defeated when he reaches the top of Ganon's Castle and faces against Ganondorf in the boss battle. That's where the timelines diverge according to Hyrule Historia.

RagnarokX

I think a downfall OoT sequel is possible but it's gotta be more than 100 years in the future. I mean in OoT the Sheikah are barely there but BotW's backstory has the Sheikah develop some mean tech, build structures throughout the land and have a reputation as renowned heroes and then have all that decay into history.

That would also give away that Ganon doesn't die in BotW since he'd need to be sealed away for ALttP. Kind of ruins OoT's status as the Imprisoning War since that wouldn't be the reason Ganon is sealed for ALttP, the new game would.

The tech is from pre-SS civilization. All of the structures are underground. The towers rise out of the ground when Link activates them at the start of the game and all of the shrines are underground. The only tech on the surface are the guardians, but they're basically just monsters like other robot monsters that roamed past games. The only person who knows the Sheikah's reputation is the Old Man, who appears to be King Hyrule and would be privy to the secrets of the Sheikah since they serve Hylia's bloodline. He's clearly a special case whoever he is since he's the only person allowed to live on the sacred Great Plateau. The Sheikah were the guardians of land in Hylia's era.

Ganon being sealed is fine. He usually is. We knew that OoT was a prequel to ALttP and thus would not die. That didn't ruin OoT.

OoT's status as the Imprisoning War was ruined by OoT itself since none of its details match ALttP's account (ALttP says Ganon got the complete triforce and there was no Hero to use the Master Sword, OoT ends with Ganon only having the Triforce of Power and he's fought by a Hero wielding the Master Sword.

Hyrule Historia fixed this by saying that the Hero of Time got defeated by Ganon and Ganon obtained the complete Triforce. Zelda was able to seal him away and there was an age of peace. Some time later Ganon was able to send his forces through portals to Hyrule and started The Imprisoning War. The knights and sages of that era searched for a Hero but could not find one, so they sealed Ganon a second time.

What makes the most sense for BotW is it being an expanded explanation of the first sealing of Ganon between OoT and the Imprisoning War. Simply adding the details that sealing Ganon took 100 years and a ressurrected Hero of Time was involved. Adding these details changes nothing of OoT's current contribution to the Fallen Hero timeline.

Mael

I'm saying this game is about the Hero of Time being resurrected, so if that's the case then K&K can also be resurrected and their deaths wouldn't be an issue.

Narratively it would only work if HoT Link was shown resurrected before K&K.
There's not that many people/monsters that come back from the dead that way.
Usually they're explained away as different individuals (and show as such).
Here K&K appear to function identically to how they work in OoT, right down to the boss battle.

Ganon spontaneously reincarnated in FSA, so they didn't necessarily have to have someone bring them back to life.

I really need to get around to actually play FSA in non Japanese version.
Not like I went anywhere thanks to that fucking town level...

Volvagia was dead at the beginning of OoT. Ganon brought him back to life. He doesn't need to be alive at the end of OoT to be alive again Zelda 2.

True, he was killed before but OoT made it a point that this dragon was somehow special and it ties well the knot of the Goron population being nil in Hyrule post OoT in that timeline.
Happy accident or simple coincidence, it ties this particular issue well even though I'm fairly sure it's only because they never really got around showing Gorons in the games after OoT in that timeline.
Heck they could have died out for any number of reasons BUT Volvogia Goron eater finishing them off is more elegant if you ask me :p

Tingle isn't the only character like that. There's also Link, Zelda, Impa, Beedle, Guru Guru, etc.

K&K could also be ghosts.

Link, Zelda and Impa are clearly identified as the same or different when we encounter them.
Beedle is inconsequential and really just the default merchant design these days.
Guru guru only appeared in Oracle to be a throwback to OoT (like K&K actually).
The reason I'd say they're different is their importance narrative-wise, they're the instigators of the conflict in the Oracle games.
To have them be just appear without explanation and no way of telling if they're not different strikes me as particularly bad writing on their part.
The simpler explanation to me is that they're meant to be the same.

Remember how Ocarina time travel works. The person sent back in time replaces their duplicate in the past. So Link wouldn't encounter a duplicate of this person and this person would still exist after the 7 years. Best bet would be Rauru since he's the one that puts Link in stasis.

It's weird though and I don't think it work exactly like that or Adult Link would still be around and kicking otherwise.
And we do know of 2 ways to time travel in OoT :
- putting sword back in pedestal (because when child Link want to come back in the future he pulls the sword and the failsafe activate freezing child Link for 7 more years)
- Zelda's Ocarina's song which send the guy back in time.
And it could be that the 2nd way left Link lethargic so this could lead to BotW (unlikely just throwing it out there).

RagnarokX

It's weird though and I don't think it work exactly like that or Adult Link would still be around and kicking otherwise.
And we do know of 2 ways to time travel in OoT :
- putting sword back in pedestal (because when child Link want to come back in the future he pulls the sword and the failsafe activate freezing child Link for 7 more years)
- Zelda's Ocarina's song which send the guy back in time.
And it could be that the 2nd way left Link lethargic so this could lead to BotW (unlikely just throwing it out there).
When a person is sent back in time with the Ocarina they are erased from the timeline they left and appear in a new timeline. If a person was sent from an original timeline to the Ocarina timeline we experience in OoT they would be erased from the original timeline and appear in OoT's. They would not be erased from OoT's future nor appear as a double. Link gets erased from OoT's future because he gets sent to a third timeline.

First timeline:
Link fights Ganon and loses. Person is sent back in time to the second timeline and is erased from this timeline.

Second timeline:
Link fights Ganon and wins. Link is sent back in time to the third timeline and is erased from this timeline.

Third timeline:
Link tattles on Ganon before he can invade the castle. Ganon is tried by the sages.

Nosgotham

i'm guessing some background online thing like beaing able to place stamps that show where treasure is etc.. and it appears on your friends maps or something.

I still don't think Breath of the Wild could follow the downfall timeline for one simple reason: Ganon is sealed inside Hyrule Castle in Breath of the Wild--but Hyrule Castle was destroyed by the time Ganon had come to power. There is no Hyrule Castle to seal him in.

Meesh

Yeah, you're probably 100% on this which really is ok by me. Knowing you've only got so many weapons to go into battle based on scavenging adds some depth and tension, to boss battles too no doubt. It'll be interesting to finally play and discover when you can actually attain the sword...but theoretically if you can get through most of the game and head to Ganon naked perhaps there's a few "loop holes" to discover in getting the Master Sword? That way you could backtrack through skipped portions and overpower enemies that'd otherwise prove a little more challenging.
Edit: I think sequence breaking was confirmed?

oti

Banned
I don't really care about Zelda lore (I do find it fascinating though) but I really want this convergence theory to be true.

yllekz

Banned
Hate to burst all the bubbles, but the only possible timeline thread that it could possibly fit into is Wind Waker's split.

Why?

Because Koroks only existed due to WW's events. Having other WW-specific hints (such at a possibility of KoRS as the old man) signify that this can only work in the WW timeline thread.

zeldablue

Has anyone tried to rule out "The Era without a Hero?"

Link's not wearing green afterall.

...Of course, that would mean we'd be talking about the Great Flood again. It would be a downer to end the game like that. Hmmm.

sinxtanx

the post where I make the case that you are all wrong

can pick any of the timelines but let's say Adult 'cause rock salt and Koroks

end of WW -> [enough time to fit ~25 adventures and indeed Nintendo will some day] -> events 100 years prior to BotW -> BotW

this Link is not a previous Link
this ToT is not the ToT from OoT
Old Man is whoever is relevant to this story

immediate connection is boring

Marlowe89

I don't really care about Zelda lore (I do find it fascinating though) but I really want this convergence theory to be true.

Why, though? How the hell would you explain it? And how would the past be remembered?

Timeline convergence makes no sense to me. Theoretically the split timelines concept can only go in one direction which is the increasing number of splits that would happen every time an established event is altered or changed.

Forkball

I think there are definitely multiple areas in the timeline where it can take place.

Fallen hero: After OoT and before LttP is a safe bet. It is said that Ganon defeats Link at the end of OoT and obtains the Triforce. He is then sealed away by the sages. However, we know nothing of the immediacy or efficiency of the sealing. Maybe it took a hundred years to effectively seal him away ala the story of this game. Link is in the pod because he got bodied in OoT. Though I kinda wonder why the Master Sword is in the pedestal. Just put that with Link in his pod instead of some dirty pants.

Child Timeline: Possibly after Twilight Princess and before FSA. Ganon is in FSA, but he is supposedly a completely different Ganon or at least reincarnation. He is not the flesh and bone Ganon from OoT. Anyways, we see some advanced tech in TP, so perhaps the Shiekah expanded upon it over the year. Ganon came back (somehow) and started wrecking havoc. Perhaps at the end of the game he is sealed away again, only to be reincarnated as FSA Ganon. I assume the Master Sword was returned after Twilight Princess.

Adult Timeline: A new continent is discovered in Spirit Tracks, so perhaps this is it. Or maybe the great sea finally dried up. The koroks, WW visual similarities, the old man possibly being the king, and the rock salt from "the ancient sea" really hint towards being in this timeline. The question is how did Ganon come back and why is the Master Sword in a different place.

I would honestly prefer the collusion timeline where all three merge together. Every time there's a new Zelda game, we assume it will answer so many questions, yet they never do an in fact just contradict previous ideas or add on to the confusion. I really don't see why you need to fill in the gaps of the current games.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Why, though? How the hell would you explain it? And how would the past be remembered?

Timeline convergence makes no sense to me. Theoretically the split timelines concept can only go in one direction which is the increasing number of splits that would happen every time an established event is altered or changed.

The new split - at the end of Wind Waker Ganondorf managed to touch the Triforce first. Also solves the Spirit Tracks problem of two Hyrules.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
The Gates of Time makes infinite timelines possible and it even created a new 4th timeline within the existing Skyward Sword timeline.

Demise being killed in different ways in different ages causes Impa to not exist in the present day after Link Groose and Zelda go back through the gate after Link seals Demise in the Master Sword. If you move forward in the Timeline that has Demise killed by the Triforce then you have an entirely new Timeline that is not constrained by the future events that must happen

Even still, BotW takes place in the Wind Waker timeline after the water recedes we just lack the details to confirm the details of the event's leading up to it.

Adult Timeline: A new continent is discovered in Spirit Tracks, so perhaps this is it. Or maybe the great sea finally dried up. The koroks, WW visual similarities, the old man possibly being the king, and the rock salt from "the ancient sea" really hint towards being in this timeline. The question is how did Ganon come back and why is the Master Sword in a different place.

When The Great Sea was dried, the people of New Hyrule return to the Old Kingdom looking for some "Legendary" power...blah blah blah, somebody or something moved the Master Sword from the Rock and broke the seal containing Ganondorf.

zeldablue

end of WW -> [enough time to fit ~25 adventures and indeed Nintendo will some day] -> events 100 years prior to BotW -> BotW

But Old Man said this is where Hyrule was founded.

The ToT was the Sealed Grounds/Temple of Hylia from Skyward Sword. That land became the Temple of Time and Castle Town in Ocarina of Time.

Honestly...nothing is lining up so far. But I think we can agree that this is the same Hyrule from OoT and beyond. Although Death Mountain should be behind the Temple of Time...Sigh.

Nothing makes sense.

I think it would be a great idea if this game were in the Fallen Hero Timeline. I've always hated the idea that Link could fail to defeat Ganon, but this game would be a really great way of redeeming it.

rhandino

Banned
I like the theory that this game takes place in the Fallen Hero timeline and its that timeline TP or WW.

One thing about the Korok and the fact that some trees drop Korok Leaves when cut: I think this only means that Ganon destroyed so much the land that after hw was sealed the Great Deku Tree took the Wind Waker route and transformed the Kokiri in Korok so they could reforest the land more quickly.

That also would explain why a lot of the trees seems to be of more or less the same height and why the remains of bigger trees all around the Great Plateau.

And speaking of Ganon damage to the land I am going to assume that something happened to the Minish as well since I remember in Minish Cap they were the ones that put hearts and rupees inside the crates or bunch of grass and since in this game there are none of of them...

Interesting theories in this thread all around tho =3

I kind of like the theory of timeline convergence, it thought it was possible given all the elements and thought a possible reason for it - Ganon learns of the curse of Demise and to break the endless cycle of death and rebirth of the chosen three he set about messing with timelines as a way to prevent the rebirth of the hero and lay waste to the world.

What if the alternate world that we are all accustomed to in Zelda games is either different dimensions of hyrule or 100 years into the past - thus villages are really not present in the demo because almost all people are wiped out, and the villages you encounter are in the past
perhaps it uses the time stone elements similar to skyward sword, that mechanic people loved then

oti

Banned

I don't know. It would be totally fun though.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

It would basically be like a Warp in the West that was used in The Elder Scrolls series. They all happened.

More importantly the Zelda series timeline doesn't really matter. It's a nice thing for players to see how the various games connect with one another and as jumping off points for new games to utilize stuff mentioned in other games, but it's ultimately never really important in the games themselves. Unless they are direct sequels.

The series is more or less the retelling of the same legend just with varying degrees of accuracy/consistency when it comes to details. At most usually the series will reference an older game with a throwaway line saying "long ago" or "legends tell" or something like that. It's a nod and not much more. The overall setting might fit within events of the timeline but to understand and enjoy the game it's pretty much never required that you know any of that, even with direct sequels.

Converging the timeline could make for an interesting scenario for this game, but for future games it wouldn't really matter. They could choose to acknowledge all or none of the prior games explicitly just like they always had, but usually they just do their own thing with not a whole lot of regard for what supposedly comes before or after it.

MajorMane

Has anyone tried to rule out "The Era without a Hero?"

Link's not wearing green afterall.

...Of course, that would mean we'd be talking about the Great Flood again. It would be a downer to end the game like that. Hmmm.

Your ending point is exactly why I finally ruled out that timeline. There's also the muddling of when Wind Waker exactly takes place after OoT. Aonuma has gone on on record saying "100 years" (which could be a mistranslation), but later with Twilight Princess, he says something along the lines that TP is parallel to WW and takes place a couple hundred years later (initially mistranslated as 100 years.)

The end of WW leads directly into Spirit Tracks, however, where the Hero of Winds and Zelda/Tetra find a new continent and dub it New Hyrule. So then you have to wonder, why would they bother leaving this place? King Daphnes explicitly told them that the old Hyrule was not their land. He told them to go out and find a place on their own. There's also the problem of the Master Sword last being seen in the head of Ganondorf.

It's certainly possible that this game will simply take place far down the timeline with no direct connection to any games. There will be a connection, however. Every Zelda game has some sort of connection to the timeline or reason for existing. Given Aonuma's comments, however:

At a group Q&A with reporters on Sunday, Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma was asked where the game fit into the franchise timeline. Aonuma said he didn’t want to say much about the story at the moment but said he’d stare a hint. He noted that that the t-shirt he was wearing showed the symbol for the Sheikah stones and that it was the same one from The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. (In Breath of the Wild, the reawakened Link uses a high-tech item called the “Sheikah slate”). Aonuma also reminded people that, at the start of this game, Link is told he’s been asleep for 100 years. “He teased: “You can decide what this means.”

http://kotaku.com/fans-are-already-trying-to-place-breath-of-the-wild-on-1782089318

It's not unfair to assume that it will instead take place closer to OoT.

Top Bottom