• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks | officially announced. THIS YEAR

Ri'Orius

TheGrayGhost said:
THAT IS NOT what the fallen adventurer said. As you have it written, it suggest that the developers regret not having d-pad control. But as it actually is, it pokes fun at players who are stubborn d-pad supporters.

Whoah dude! Calm down! It was a simple misunderstanding, and I'm sorry if I've spread misinformation. When I read it, I apparently got the wrong impression; sorry.

But there's no need to pull out the all-caps, bold, italics and underline. Count to ten, deep breaths, relax a bit?

Alpha_eX said:
Why, it's the best visual style for the DS hardware and on the GC it was the best looking Zelda to date. TP was far to average and the Wii couldn't pull it off well, WW on the GC was beautiful.

The visuals are fine, it's the art style that's a complete disaster.

Struct09

My only problem with the stylus controls in PH was when I wanted Link to do a roll. If that gets tightened up for Spirit Tracks it will be perfect.

Struct09 said:
My only problem with the stylus controls in PH was when I wanted Link to do a roll. If that gets tightened up for Spirit Tracks it will be perfect.

Rolling was so easy. You didn't have to do little circles, all you had to do is a quick jab to the side of the screen you want to run towards.

Hobbun

So why does everyone have to try to justify why their control scheme is the best? If you like the stylus, good for those of you that do, but it doesn't mean I am wrong (or a wanker) because I don't agree with you.

We all have our own preferences, I like the d-pad. I feel it gives me just as much freedom as the stylus control. And no one can tell me I am wrong because it's all subjective and preference.

One of the thing I hated about the stylus was similar to what Struct09 indicated, I would do actions that I did not intend to or the actions did not register. In using a d-pad, I never had that issue. If I moved forward, I always moved forward. If I rolled, all I had to do was run and hit the 'a' button. Simple. "Dammit, I didn't draw the circle just right, so he didn't roll this time."

Again, if you like the stylus control, good for you. But for those who prefer the d-pad aren't "wrong" for doing so.

Ri'Orius said:
Whoah dude! Calm down! It was a simple misunderstanding, and I'm sorry if I've spread misinformation. When I read it, I apparently got the wrong impression; sorry.

But there's no need to pull out the all-caps, bold, italics and underline. Count to ten, deep breaths, relax a bit?

lol, yeah, everyone's go they're favorite game that they're touchy about, PH is mine. ;)

mrkgoo

the only Zelda I haven't touched (not including CDi) is PH. I just never got around to it. I went to take a look, and it's full price after 2 years! Should I still get it?

mrkgoo said:
the only Zelda I haven't touched (not including CDi) is PH. I just never got around to it. I went to take a look, and it's full price after 2 years! Should I still get it?

It's like $26 on Amazon. No-brainer

Downhome

This thread is almost exactly like the original Phantom Hourglass thread, with people asking why no one seems to care about this game and all of that. :lol

I never played PH, when it was released I just wasn't playing my DS hardly at all. Last month I replaced my DSphat with a DSi, and since then it's been my favorite system. To get read for ST I finally bought and started to play PH, and I'm loving it in every way. I can't wait for ST now.

XCell9200 said:
Whenever I think I'm bored of the windwaker style, i watch (listen to) this and everything seems just fine.

That has nothing to do with Wind Waker's art style...it could have been used with something less childish.

That said, yes, that video is fucking awesome.

Downhome

I don't mind the Wind Waker style either, but I sure wouldn't mind another Zelda in the style of Link to the Past on the DS, updated a bit of course.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Apparently we got another detail about this game in Nintendo's financial report.

Kotaku said:
Buried in the midst of Nintendo's 2009 fiscal year results is a small note about the upcoming Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks. It's interesting to see how the game's described to investors, rather than fans.

While the game is mentioned only in passing, the report hints at the game's direction, saying that "The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks...will appeal to a wider age group of people, and will launch in the later half of the year".

Hrm. Make of that what you will.
Source: http://kotaku.com/5243634/zelda-spirit-tracks-is-for-a-wider-age-group-of-people

I wonder if this means they're going beyond what they did with Phantom Hourglass in terms of making the game more "accessible".

Chris R

Amir0x said:
How much more accessible can it be? Will you enter a dungeon now, only to have the boss greet you at the door?
Remember the patent nintendo filed about having basically an in game guide/faq available :lol

darkwings

Banned
Amir0x said:
How much more accessible can it be? Will you enter a dungeon now, only to have the boss greet you at the door?

So instead of making an already incredible easy zelda game harder, nintendo makes it even easier. Makes sense...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Amir0x said:
No. You find a heart container and a piece of the artifact you're currently fetching.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Amir0x said:
Technically that happened in TP...

Amir0x said:
They adapted the win button mechanic to touch screen controls. Now you have roughly four times the surface area to mash your thumb against with successful results. You wouldn't believe how many people's were going wide of the mark when they actually had to tap specific areas on the screen. Hardcore gamers have nothing to worry about though, as Nintendo has vowed to include hours and hours of on rail enjoyment traveling from point A to point B with very little to do inbetween, just as fans were demanding! They've really got their finger on the pulse.

BrandNew said:
That has nothing to do with Wind Waker's art style...it could have been used with something less childish.

That said, yes, that video is fucking awesome.

Link is a child or occasionally a young teen. Get over it. Go get your fill of hulking, manly space marines or wrist-slashing, emo, long black hair goth in 90% of the games coming out on other systems.

reggieandTFE said:
Link is a child or occasionally a young teen. Get over it. Go get your fill of hulking, manly space marines or wrist-slashing, emo, long black hair goth in 90% of the games coming out on other systems.

Don't be fucking daft, I know full well that Link is a child in the entire series. That doesn't help that Wind Waker, as beautiful as it was, had an absolutely horrid character art and design.

They can make something look stylized without having to have ridiculous looking characters.

camineet

Banned
I'm sorry, I just cannot get excited about Spirit Tracks, when all I want or can think about is a console Zelda, the one that's been in development for Wii for several years now, and that which I hope takes advantage of Motion Plus.

Spirit Tracks? Sorry I'll pass.

Dr.Hadji

mrkgoo said:
Depends on what they're referring to it being wider than. They pretty much can say that about any game.

So true. Though, personally I think this lends itself to my theory that ST will be less Zelda is the rigid sense (town, dungeon, town, dungeon, ect.) For the record, I'm saying in the world of ST you'll be "creating" New Hyrule. Which means you'll be filling up those empty land plots seen on the map.

wRATH2x

Banned
BrandNew said:
Don't be fucking daft, I know full well that Link is a child in the entire series. That doesn't help that Wind Waker, as beautiful as it was, had an absolutely horrid character art and design.

They can make something look stylized without having to have ridiculous looking characters.
Am I stupid for loving Wind Waker's design? Whats so wrong about it?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
getting my mumsy a ds for mother's day. she likes playing bejeweled and stuff like that, so i think it'll be right up her alley.

if i can get her to play spirit tracks that would be awesome.

jarosh

beelzebozo said:
getting my mumsy a ds for mother's day. she likes playing bejeweled and stuff like that, so i think it'll be right up her alley.

whoa, pretty generous

womp

beelzebozo said:

Get her Jewel Quest and Touchmaster.

gkryhewy

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/...d=news_view&newsId=20091106005177&newsLang=en

November 06, 2009 08:00 AM Eastern Time
Link and Zelda Join Forces in The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

Newest Entry in Renowned Video Game Series Features Historic Team-Up for Timeless Duo

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--It was among the most heinous incidents in video game history: In 1986, Princess Zelda™ was kidnapped from the land of Hyrule, setting off an intrepid rescue adventure for young hero Link™. Unfortunately for Zelda, this offense has been repeated more than a dozen times since, leaving her largely out of sight while Link traversed dark dungeons and confronted monstrous enemies alone in order to save her.

This time, in the new Nintendo DS™ and Nintendo DSi™ adventure The Legend of Zelda™: Spirit Tracks, that all changes.

For the first time in the 23-year history of The Legend of Zelda series, Princess Zelda is leaving the villainous clutches of the underworld behind and joining the adventure with Link. In The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, the spirit of Zelda accompanies Link on his quest to save Hyrule. Directly impacting game play like never before, Zelda’s spirit can take control of hulking suits of armor known as Phantoms, allowing the player to direct both Link and these new allies as they battle enemies, solve puzzles and uncover secrets. Zelda also rides alongside Link on his customizable train, offering wisdom that will help players find new areas, storylines and items. The team of Link and Zelda presents countless new storyline details for fans to enjoy, including a closer look at Princess Zelda herself, one of the most iconic video game characters of all-time.

“More than two decades into its rich history, The Legend of Zelda has introduced another historic first for players as Link and Zelda unite to save Hyrule in The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “Combining these unprecedented new story and game-play elements with the series’ innovative touch-screen interface on Nintendo DS and Nintendo DSi, the game is sure to surprise and delight new and longtime fans.”

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks launches in North America on Dec. 7. For more information, visit www.Zelda.com/SpiritTracks.

----

Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=6093731&lang=en

Top Bottom