• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO Dimensions (Wii U/PS4/XB1/360/PS3, $99, September 27, Trailer)

Rosur

Agreed, Videogamer.com calculated it would be approx £355 for everything in the UK...utterly nuts. £100 a starter set...jog on!

I thought about it at £100 but went I know it will be 20-30 cheaper in a couple of months (for black Friday/ Christmas sales). £60/70 would of been a good price for the starter set and £20 for the level packs (30 too much)

shone237

Unconfirmed Member
I'd love to hear more besides a list of brands that I'm soooooo lucky to be able to mix together.

My kids have every Lego game, but unless this does more than just promote plastic toys, they will never know it exist.

Rootbeer

Banned
I think if any are going to get pushed out, it's Skylanders. Characters have all the charisma and originality of a cardboard box.

I don't see how it's still able to compete... with Disney/Marvel, Warner/DC/LEGO and Nintendo all busting down their doors.

Not only do they all have more brand recogntion but you're right, none of the Skylanders characters are that great. Even Spyro is kinda second rate, and he's just another Skylander now, they don't even capitalize on him.

I'll be watching the sales charts for the next waves closely.

This is really disappointing for me. My kids and I have put hours and hours into Lego Marvel because we get to unlock all the characters while infinity and skylanders are ignored because one new character costs 15$

Not to mention the open world, and tons of content hidden or otherwise.

The next Lego Marvel comes out this year (likely November) and as someone else mentioned, Lego Jurassic World is also out this summer. I'd imagine Lego Marvel and Lego Star Wars games will need to continue to be kept separate from Lego Dimensions.

Zach

I was like "this is terrible" and then I saw Back to the Future and was like "well, the boy's gonna request this for Christmas." v_v

Linkified

On the PAL PS4 boxart on Amazon it has on the bottom of the box, 'Internet connection required', does that mean we may only have one Starter kit and each year - a new disk based update which we just install, featuring new worlds?

I think if any are going to get pushed out, it's Skylanders. Characters have all the charisma and originality of a cardboard box.
Ehh, anecdotally from observations within my family and friends, skylanders seems like a big thing in schools, a lot of kids are really into them. I think they have more of the kids market than infinity and amiibo.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Ehh, anecdotally from observations within my family and friends, skylanders seems like a big thing in schools, a lot of kids are really into them. I think they have more of the kids market than infinity and amiibo.

you are absolutely rigjt. Infinity already showed that having famous mutuated characers doesn't transale automatically in better sales than Skylander

169 fucking dollars in Australia. No way will this sell despite the big draw of Lego. Parents will laugh at that price and rather buy several sets of Lego. Australian pricing is so fucking ridiculous.

For comparison sake my witcher 3 order is $169 for the CE. Jesus fuck.

Agreed, Videogamer.com calculated it would be approx £355 for everything in the UK...utterly nuts. £100 a starter set...jog on!

Guarantee it'll be sold out everywhere on day 1. If skylanders can sell like $400 worth of stuff on the first day then Lego can easily.

jwk94

you are absolutely rigjt. Infinity already showed that having famous mutuated characers doesn't transale automatically in better sales than Skylander

I think that's because Infinity is too limited. I'm not really into this t2l stuff, but i would rather buy skylanders stuff despite having a stronger interest and attachment to the infinity characters and worlds.

I think that's because Infinity is too limited. I'm not really into this t2l stuff, but i would rather buy skylanders stuff despite having a stronger interest and attachment to the infinity characters and worlds.

Infinity is an almost impressively poorly designed game. They put way, wayyyyyy too much stake into people wanting to dick around in the Toy Box.

oti

Banned
Infinity is an almost impressively poorly designed game. They put way, wayyyyyy too much stake into people wanting to dick around in the Toy Box.

It's so dissapointing. Especially after the excellent Toy Story 3 Toy Box. That one was great.

ryseing

Skylanders has first mover advantage, plus apparently the games themselves are better than what Disney has put out thus far.

Skylanders has first mover advantage, plus apparently the games themselves are better than what Disney has put out thus far.

Yeah, I collect the Infinity figures because I love Disney. The games themselves are Meh at best.

That being said, now I have to collect amiibo, Infinity, and all these LEGO sets. My poor wallet.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I'm trying to think what other smaller franchises could get mixed into this, so I went through all the sets they've had:

- Jurassic World
- Scooby-Doo
- The Simpsons
- Star Wars (Ain't gonna happen)
- Ben 10
- Harry Potter
- Prince of Persia (?!)
- Spider-Man
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- The Hobbit
- The Lone Ranger

These were all Lego "Themes", I assume there have been smaller one-off sets, but I couldn't find a decent list

I'm trying to think what other smaller franchises could get mixed into this, so I went through all the sets they've had:

- Jurassic World
- Scooby-Doo
- The Simpsons
- Star Wars (Ain't gonna happen)
- Ben 10
- Harry Potter
- Prince of Persia (?!)
- Spider-Man
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- The Hobbit
- The Lone Ranger

These were all Lego "Themes", I assume there have been smaller one-off sets, but I couldn't find a decent list

Wow, looking at that, and taking off the ones that probably just won't make it (Jurassic World for the forseeable future, Spider-Man, Star Wars), there aren't even that many properties I care that much about. Harry Potter would be fun. Simpsons would be cool, I guess...

Tregard

Soothsayer
Wow, looking at that, and taking off the ones that probably just won't make it (Jurassic World for the forseeable future, Spider-Man, Star Wars), there aren't even that many properties I care that much about. Harry Potter would be fun. Simpsons would be cool, I guess...

People were talking about Ghostbusters, and stuff akin to that would be very cool, I just can't think of other things in that vein which have been made into LEGO sets.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

it must also be said that Disney and Marvel toys existed before Infinity and that those characters could be enjoyed via other media, comics or movies...that means that they are popular but also that the thirst to have them is lighter. skylander characters can be enjoyed only through the videogame

Some Guy

Between launch and mid-February, Nintendo sold around 6 million Amiibo figures. Which is great! But because we're adult fans who care more about these characters, and because of all the shortages, we have a tendency to perceive them as being the most popular competitor on the market.

Perspective:

Between Feb 2014 and Feb 2015, Activision sold 65 million Skylanders.

In 2014, Skylanders also outsold every "normal" non toys-to-life action figure line on earth. It has now achieved this for three years in a row.

And of course, Disney Infinity is also killing it, selling either a little better or a little worse than Skylanders depending on which statistics you selectively emphasize.

If anyone gets "squeezed out" of this marketplace, it's going to be the regular toy lines that don't interact with videogames. Because Skylanders and Infinity are destroying them. That "Toys to Life" section of the store is going to grow to the point where it starts eating away at the regular toy aisle.

Between launch and mid-February, Nintendo sold around 6 million Amiibo figures. Which is great! But because we're adult fans who care more about these characters, and because of all the shortages, we have a tendency to perceive them as being the most popular competitor on the market.

Perspective:

Between Feb 2014 and Feb 2015, Activision sold 65 million Skylanders.

In 2014, Skylanders also outsold every "normal" non toys-to-life action figure line on earth. It has now achieved this for three years in a row.

And of course, Disney Infinity is also killing it, selling either a little better or a little worse than Skylanders depending on which statistics you selectively emphasize.

If anyone gets "squeezed out" of this marketplace, it's going to be the regular toy lines that don't interact with videogames. Because Skylanders and Infinity are destroying them. That "Toys to Life" section of the store is going to grow to the point where it starts eating away at the regular toy aisle.

Also, for comparison, 30 million Skylanders toys were sold in the first six months of the original game's release (and Activision had genuine issues fulfilling demand). Puts amiibo to shame, although admittedly, Nintendo were launching into a market with two behemoths and obviously aren't multi-platform like Skylanders and Disney. If anything Nintendo should be most worried about Lego Dimensions.

Crayon

This is going to kill. Kids give up toys at a younger age these days but lego still goes strong at retail and they sell 100usd lego sets all day long.

This is really disappointing for me. My kids and I have put hours and hours into Lego Marvel because we get to unlock all the characters while infinity and skylanders are ignored because one new character costs 15$

You can still play and/or replay all of the previously released LEGO games no prob.

I've been analysing a packshot for a vid for the youtube channel I contribute to and we're pretty sure Chell (Portal) is going to be in the game.

Looks like there might be level packs for The Simpsons and Portal.

Have some very interesting news for you to share today! I have stumbled upon seven new packs that will be released for Lego Dimensions.

This information comes from links discovered on Walmart’s website via publically accessible listings. I have chosen not to link directly to the retailer’s page at this time in fear that the pages will get shut down. If another member of the press is interested, please feel free to contact me and I will be happy to verify the information.

http://brickinquirer.com/2015/05/02...cks-leak-for-lego-dimensions-includes-portal/

I have to say i like that idea. They can pick up franchises as level packs for Dimensions that otherwise probably wouldn't justify their own standalone game like BTTF.

Looks like there might be level packs for The Simpsons and Portal.

I have to say i like that idea. They can pick up franchises as level packs for Dimensions that otherwise probably wouldn't justify their own standalone game like BTTF.

BTTF deserves a standalone Lego game as much as any franchise that has received the Lego treatment. Would love to play out 2015 for hours alone.

I love lego games. Gesh...this will be the nail in my financial coffin. Very hard to resist the innerhype that is already building up. Leeegooo games.

This and lego jurrasic park. Im golden :)

jonno394

so, I was in GAME today and the guy behind the counter started flicking through the pre-order booklet when I said "no, I don't want to pre-order anything" so instead of listening to me, he attempted to get me to pre-order this and Batman.

WHen he gave me the spiel about this, he mentioned how the plan was to buy one base unit and the portal or whatever would be futureproof for about five years, unlike things like skylanders, and it'd be a case of them just releasing new sets each year.

Is this accurate or was he just guessing?

Pretty sweet to see it almost confirmed now that Chell will be in Lego Dimensions. Seemed pretty obvious from the analysis we did a couple of weeks back, but the major news sites weren't convinced.

Jawmuncher

If they can keep on top of the Level Packs, i'll be all over this. Basically already in for BTTF, Portal 2, and Jurassic World. Hell seeing what's already on offer they basically know their selling point is really going to be pushing a huge assortment of IPs.

Skyzard

Banned
Can you build what you want with lego pieces and it scans it, or is this a skylander/amiibo copy?

Because it seems like the latter despite some of the PR in OP.

Ryuuroden

Well the pieces aren't glued together which is what I am excited about because this means I am going to gain a whole bunch of minifigures and new molds for my old school building of my own creations. Minifigs from IPs that Lego has never touched before. The games are an added bonus because I love doctor who and bttf and those probably would never had gotten stand alone games.

Skyzard

Banned
Sorry, I thought it was something else, but it does sound like a trap :p Although it will probably be a decent one.

I'm glad it's a win-win in your case though.

I have just watched the Lego Movie for the first time.

Now I need this in my veins.
lhjhbB9.gif

Polarburr

Quick question about this game!

the starter pack included Gandalf, Batman and Wyldstyle.

Are these the only playable characters in the game? Or are there playable characters in the game that don't require the purchasing of those figures?

Cause that's kinda sad... If theres only 3 playable characters in the game. haha

Top Bottom