• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO Dimensions (Wii U/PS4/XB1/360/PS3, $99, September 27, Trailer)

I highly doubt it. In my experience, they absolutely flood shelves with different Infinity variations. Different figures, gold/clear alternates, miniature booster packs - it's madness.
I almost think Activision will lose this fight. Is the Skylanders brand still popular? It's the only one of these that isn't held up by a previously established property - and seems most wary to fatigue. Disney can keep putting out Star Wars and Marvel variants, plus new sets that are carried by film & TV series'. Lego has a similar treasure chest of franchise partners. Nintendo's got plenty to use as well.

But with Skylanders, they can only keep making new dragons & robots and hoping that kids stay invested.

Draxal

I highly doubt it. In my experience, they absolutely flood shelves with different Infinity variations. Different figures, gold/clear alternates, miniature booster packs - it's madness.
I almost think Activision will lose this fight. Is the Skylanders brand still popular? It's the only one of these that isn't held up by a previously established property - and seems most wary to fatigue. Disney can keep putting out Star Wars and Marvel variants, plus new sets that are carried by film & TV series'. Lego has a similar treasure chest of franchise partners. Nintendo's got plenty to use as well.

But with Skylanders, they can only keep making new dragons & robots and hoping that kids stay invested.

Skylanders is still the biggest. Infinity is second, Nintendo really doesn't have any shelf space (and all of their non princess peach/mario/link is sold out instantly).

Disney will be the winner this year though with Star Wars.

I just built my Lego DeLorean set last night lol.

Preordered the starter pack, Back to the Future pack, Emmet, Unikitty, Wonder Woman, and Gollum. GCU does apply at Best Buy for the starter and level packs, but they aren't selling the individual character packs (yet).

Skylanders is still the biggest. Infinity is second, Nintendo really doesn't have any shelf space (and all of their non princess peach/mario/link is sold out instantly).

Disney will be the winner this year though with Star Wars.

I almost wonder if Nintendo even wants to compete in a shelf space war. They seem focused on limited runs of Amiibo, with only 2-3 figures from each run becoming common. It wouldn't shock me to see them retire the Smash Bros line as a whole, and keep replenishing new variations on popular characters as new games come out. I expect Zelda WiiU to have a pretty big Amiibo line behind it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is probably the least appealing toys-to-life game. Probably has the potential for the most expansion seeing as they can license pretty much everything but a LEGO game where I have to use figures/toys that I can't remix and stuff kind of misses out on what would actually make this special.

Also don't see kids choosing this over any of the other options on shelves for this genre, TBH.

Lego has a full aisle and a HALF (and growing) dedicated to them at every single Target across the country.

There is going to be no problem finding space for Lego's products.

I didn't play with Amiibos as a kid, nor did I play with Skylanders or Infinity toys... But I was a master builder. I could see buying this Lego toy game if the core game is good. The others I can't personally justify.

LOL I'm just waiting for the toy Transformers or Voltron game now.

Also don't see kids choosing this over any of the other options on shelves for this genre, TBH.
You'd be surprised. Lego is extremely popular with young boys..probably the age their looking for in the ...i dunno what the numbers are, like 6-12 category. That's not to say young girls, adult male and females won't also be buying and playing (as evident by Wyldstyle being a main pack character) but they're probably going for the group of kids who love legos.

I almost wonder if Nintendo even wants to compete in a shelf space war. They seem focused on limited runs of Amiibo, with only 2-3 figures from each run becoming common. It wouldn't shock me to see them retire the Smash Bros line as a whole, and keep replenishing new variations on popular characters as new games come out. I expect Zelda WiiU to have a pretty big Amiibo line behind it.
Lego has a full aisle and a HALF (and growing) dedicated to them at every single Target across the country.

There is going to be no problem finding space for Lego's products.

When amiibos were coming out, I really wanted someone to step up to the plate and make a "toys to life" aisle in their store. as it stands now, Amiibo are cramped into the corner of the electronics aisle in target, with Disney and Skylanders next to each other with games across from them (or some combination of this). Walmart is similar with their stuff spread around on a long aisle, and TRU having skylanders on a huge wall in the back with infinity and amiibos taking up smaller parts on different aisles. A full toys to life aisle would give shelfspace to the other things, like the Telepods, and other knockoff NFC reading figures, allow them to put all the other random Skylanders merch in one space, and stick things like the console and accessory packs for the games together. Nintendo could even get them to move their World of Nintendo products over there.

I noted earlier in the thread that walmart added a "Lego Videogames" section last year, TRU is adding one, and some Targets also have them, usually near the toys to life things as it stands now. So there's room for them over in electronics, although Lego does have more room on their Lego aisle for these products. Most of the shelf space is taken up by empty space as it is now, or ridiculous sized display cases.

Can we take the toys off the stands and use them with regular Legos?
Will Arnett built the Batmobile and put it on the stand, so i'd imagine so. These do appear to be regularly sized legos that stick on the base.

Sandfox

I really think too many companies are trying to do this now and I actually think Skylanders might suffer because of the brand power Lego and Disney have even if its the original. Also, the starter pack is too expensive IMO.

Chairhome

So I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but it looks like you can build the vehicles any way you want and it will be represented in that form in the game? Cause if you look at the trailer, when Joel rebuilds the batmobile, its different than before it broke.

weevles

I suppose it was inevitable. Are they changing the actual game much? I'm getting tired of TT lego games. Not sure adding the toys will change that unless there are some new ideas with the gameplay and design.

Stupid question that's been irking me: who is the voice of Gandalf? It sounds so familiar, like he was the narrator in another game.

I'm not understanding this... I think. So you assemble something with the included Lego pieces and you can put it into the game or control the game with it?

Once I saw BTTF I was like

DONE
DONE
DONE

I've never bought one of these types of games (Disney, Amiibo, etc) but this one WILL BE MINE

Matty8787

£99.99 in the UK

£14.99 per Fun Pack.
£29.99 per Level Pack.
£29.99 per Team Pack.

So expensive in the UK but damn I want it bad.

EpicBox

You know those times when you think of something happening and then it actually happens?

Well I woke up this morning thinking "If I were in charge of LEGO, I would totally do a Skylanders style game."

And then I read this.

I'm freaking out.

I'm sure this is all of the sets shown, but anyone see possible additional sets on the top of the starter box?

YIzu8qo.png

EDIT: also, the Defender cabinet in the back... does WB own rights to this property as well?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not understanding this... I think. So you assemble something with the included Lego pieces and you can put it into the game or control the game with it?

The base has a chip to transfer data to the base, same as all other Toy-to-life things. You could build whatever the fuck on the Batmobile base and it still would import the Batmobile, for example.

WB owns the rights to Williams/Midway's arcade library (as part of the buyout).

K that makes sense. I'm wondering if that's just there or there's intent behind it, like the doughnut, wonder woman lunchbox, mcfly guitar, ghostbuster gadget, Lord of the Rings Posters, etc. all in the trailer.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
considering the cost, I'm probably get the Jurassic one this year, waiting until next spring for a deal on dimension

Will Arnett built the Batmobile and put it on the stand, so i'd imagine so. These do appear to be regularly sized legos that stick on the base.

Hehehe that isn't Will Arnett but yes you can take them off their bases.

Also, let's not forget everyone, Lego is the number one toy company IN THE WORLD. As of last year they topped Mattel.

Christian

Anyone wanna tell the extended trailer guy that Batman interacted with other LEGO characters in the The LEGO Movie Game? I know this is the 10th page of the thread, and somebody probably already pointed this out, but I'm not reading the whole thing and I feel obligated to mention it!

rodan

Neo Member
£99.99 in the UK

£14.99 per Fun Pack.
£29.99 per Level Pack.
£29.99 per Team Pack.

So expensive in the UK but damn I want it bad.

Dat exchange rate should be around £66, even with UK price being VAT inclusive its still a expensive

Disney probably on the phone to Square-Enix within 5 minutes of seeing this thing announced. Incoming Disney "character expansion packs" and accessories for Kingdom Hearts 3! Separate from content in Disney Infinity, naturally.

Amiibos have done too well for their own good and this LEGO set has instant appeal across virtually all demographics. Square-Enix would be nuts to not try to rake in some extra cash with a similar gimmick. Would break my heart since I'm looking for a game that's a complete game released just as a game, but this should be no surprise to anyone if it happens. My expectations for KH3 have been plummeting for the past 2 years anyway so I can probably get over it.

HardRojo

For some reason this toys to life model reminds me of the Music games crash from a few years ago. I wonder how long it'll last. 6-8 more years?

Aaron D.

That YouTube trailer was a riot.

No interest in the game personally, but it looks fantastic-fun for its target audiences.

Woohoo!

Top Bottom