• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO Dimensions (Wii U/PS4/XB1/360/PS3, $99, September 27, Trailer)

3N16MA

Banned
So is this the end of the regular, fun to play, lego games? I now have to decide if I want to deal with more clutter and getting after my kids to put the lego pieces away? This is going to be a parents nightmare. Especially when these little pieces start getting lost, or eaten by pets.

I'm sure there will still be other LEGO games outside of this that do not require anything else other than the game itself.

roytheone

Hopefully this will not take the place of the normal Lego games, I love those on PC, and it looks like dimensions will not get a PC version :(

maxcriden

nothing at all, just to be clear, I have nothing against you, or against those who think the other way.
it's just that I think that the concept itself of toy-to-life isn't necessirily increasing parents spending on toys for kids. probably is increasing our (gamers) spending on videoGAMES, that's true.
plus, I don't think that the toy-to-life segment is safe against a possible saturation: it's just that I think that among the 4 actual players (Activision, Disney Interactive, Warner bors and Nintendo, waiting for Snack World by Level5 coming in the West) they could hurt each other, but the segment per sè woudl survive in any case

That makes sense. And I appreciate your perspective as a parent, and definitely did not take offense to what you said. :)

Robin64

Can't wait to see Lego and TT put Nintendo to shame with their supply.

To be fair here, LEGO already manufacture LEGO things, so this isn't exactly a new concept for them and they'll certainly be able to throw out hundreds times more of these things than Nintendo can amiibo.

Posted this in the other thread last night:

Now that I think about, I find it really interesting that some stores added a "Lego Games" section to their retail space, conveniently on the aisle where they have Skylanders, Infinity and Amiibos. I recently learned that TRU is supposed to be adding one soon too, but I just kind of wrote it off as them wanting more space for Lego game stuff.

8A0nTwS.jpg

I took this pic back in October of last year, so I don't think it'd have been out of the realm of possibility for Lego to have had these plans last year too, and figured they'd buy up some retail space for their future Lego Dimension stuff.

Sounds like Will Arnett
Will Arnett voiced him in the movie, but he does a parody of the Dark Knight really deep raspy voice.

Pretty sure that was Troy Baker, who voiced him in the last one, Batman 3. Troy probably does the voice in the games, with Will doing the voice in the movies.

So you actually build the things to then put on the portal? My kids (and me and my GF) will go crazy for this stuff!

If I had to guess purely on the product images, there will be different sets that probably have some sort of brick that you place on the item that the "portal" reads. So say you take that batmobile and assemble it as a giant batdick, it's not gonna look like that in the game. Similarly, if you have a ...say a Lego Minecraft figure and you stick the brick on top of it, it's not gonna read it as a Lego Minecraft character; it'll always be a batmobile.
EDIT: yeah actually now that I look at the products closer, there's a "base" that you set the thing on. so that base has the thing that the portal reads, but you could build anything on it.

Gameboy415

A point that was brought up on Eurobricks - there is a donut on Joel`s desk that is pretty prominent at the end of the trailer...

A hint for a future expansion?

n7lsOEd.jpg

I'd prefer a stand-alone LEGO Simpsons game, but if they end up in Dimensions, I'm in!

I'm kind of fearful at pricing. $99 is pretty hefty, although that's TRU prices, so it could be like $79 everywhere else. That'd place it at about Skylanders price.

Im afraid of those mini packs though because they can end up being pretty pricey. I hope we can see something like $7.99 for the double packs, $10.99 for the Level pack and $24.99 for the Team packs. That seems like a good range of prices. These things are about the size of regular lego minifigs, right?

Niosai

Oh, wow. When there was a thread about this being rumored awhile back, I said I'd love to see them mix properties but that it was unlikely. Glad to see I'm wrong.

LAA

Interesting, but not really sure how it works. Are the figures/vehicles made of real lego?

Guess it isnt the case, but what would be incredible is if the game/nfc base, would know the configuration of lego built ontop of it, so anything you built would appear like it is in the game. Now THAT would be incredible, but I'm guessing the lego pieces would have to be very expensive to have sensors/chips in it, as well as the reader to somehow read the configuration, but I'd love something like that to happen in the future.

Otherwise, things like this don't really excite me, even if it is lego, they make it sound like this is the only way something like this could happen, but they could just...you know, let us use all the characters/vehicles/levels without taking them, binding them to figures and then selling them to us, leaving us with a skeleton game we need to buy additional figure dlc for to fill out, so don't understand the joy in this concept and probably never will. (Even though I like amiibos, but I suppose its a combination of owning gaming relating figures, that a game isn't built around needing them (at least yet), and that they can have use in various games, they're probably the main things that make them appeal to me most)

LAA

A point that was brought up on Eurobricks - there is a donut on Joel`s desk that is pretty prominent at the end of the trailer...

A hint for a future expansion?
n7lsOEd.jpg

Damn you! That would be....very tempting to get just for that.....though I would prefer a standalone lego simpsons game as said above, and I suppose in dimensions it would be a sort of short game/level, I think thats how it works in these games....

In fact, doesnt even need to be lego, bring on Simpsons Hit and Run 2!

Richie

Looks like there's a reason to a) use two things on there at once and b) keep the thing on there. Both can't be done with the U's pad.

True-ché! Thanks a bunch.

Looking forward to this. At this rate Nintendo would be silly not to announce their own amiibo-dedicated game this E3 :p

Wasp

So previously a Lego game cost £40 (and could be quickly found for much lower - Batman 3 is now less than £20 on PS4) and offered 40 hours of content.

I wonder if the £99.99 base game will also offer at least 40 hours of content without buying any of the packs? I wouldn't bet on it. In fact considering the price it should offer 100 hours of content if we're doing an hours to pounds conversion.

Also the level packs cost £28.56. How many levels is included in a level pack? Apparently just one. Surely that not just one 5 minute long level?

tumblr_lwhcchZYDv1qdetkro1_500.jpg

PSqueak

Banned
Interesting, but not really sure how it works. Are the figures/vehicles made of real lego?

Guess it isnt the case, but what would be incredible is if the game/nfc base, would know the configuration of lego built ontop of it, so anything you built would appear like it is in the game. Now THAT would be incredible, but I'm guessing the lego pieces would have to be very expensive to have sensors/chips in it, as well as the reader to somehow read the configuration, but I'd love something like that to happen in the future.

Otherwise, things like this don't really excite me, even if it is lego, they make it sound like this is the only way something like this could happen, but they could just...you know, let us use all the characters/vehicles/levels without taking them, binding them to figures and then selling them to us, leaving us with a skeleton game we need to buy additional figure dlc for to fill out, so don't understand the joy in this concept and probably never will. (Even though I like amiibos, but I suppose its a combination of owning gaming relating figures, that a game isn't built around needing them (at least yet), and that they can have use in various games, they're probably the main things that make them appeal to me most)

Data must be on the bases (notice how the Character bases have character specific decals?) but the pieces are real lego so you can play with them with your regular sets, just keep track of what base is what.

This is actually a good thing, if you lose the actual lego pieces you can still use the in game things if you have the bases.

Wahahha that invisible jet. Its an empty pedestal but we are still going to charge you 14,99 for it.

That's an Edit, the actual set has a plane made of transparent pieces.

Jigorath

Banned
So now Warner Bros, Disney, Nintendo, and Activision are all going to be fighting for shelf space. Someone's going to get pushed out.

jtkauff

No Looney Tunes wtf WB! Its like if Disney infinity did not include any actual Disney characters.

Lego has never released any Looney Tunes sets or minifigures. No reason to think that there would be any in a game that is almost entirely made up of properties that have previously come out as Lego sets (the Wizard of Oz being the one exception).

weekev

Banned
This is absolute genius. Well played Lego Marketing folks. A bit late to the party but well played never the less.

Vena

This is absolute genius. Well played Lego Marketing folks. A bit late to the party but well played never the less.

I can see LEGO sweeping this whole concept, and really putting the others into a tight bind given the much more robust and actual... cool, implementation and whole concept of the LEGO Dimensions model.

Someone's going to be in trouble in this saturated market, oy.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Did the PK Meter from Ghostbusters in the trailer mean we're getting a Ghostbusters expansion?

Blunoise

Is it that bad that I'm 26 and wants to buy these cuz I grew up with Legos and may destroy my chance with ever finding a gf :(

vypek

Is it that bad that I'm 26 and wants to buy these cuz I grew up with Legos and may destroy my chance with ever finding a gf :(

Don't be ashamed of Legos.

This is such a huge project. Its pretty amazing. Looks like I'm not going to play any Lego games for a while so I don't get worn out with the series.

weekev

Banned
I can see LEGO sweeping this whole concept, and really putting the others into a tight bind given the much more robust and actual... cool, implementation and whole concept of the LEGO Dimensions model.

Someone's going to be in trouble in this saturated market, oy.
Very true, Skylanders and Disney seem to have negative momentum and Amiibos are a scalpers dream because Nintendos supply chain seems so choked.

Lego has a great concept, their games are really popular and I see very little reason to not completely cannabalise the market.

Top Bottom