• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #1 |OT| - thread of MOC'ery

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The photography assignment threads were designed to not allow non-entry photographs simply to avoid cluttering the thread, and making it easy for the collator to collect the entries.

Editing a post would constitute a changed entry. People can always link to other work.

yeah this sounds good. You post a MOC and its your entry. No other posts of images (alternate models etc) allowed. Photography assignment is a good model to follow really.

Anyway, great turnout for the first one. Looking forward to an excuse to buy the prehistoric set (or the robot one with light brick?)

from the voting thread

I have my votes written down somewhere, I'll have to dig them up. It feels the voting period is a bit long. We still have nearly 3 weeks to vote?

it is roughly 2 in total from the 16. to the end of the month.

And is there any reason why the entries are not sorted by post# here in the voting thread? The shuffled order made entering scores a lot more annoying than it have to be...
as has been pointed out the entries are sorted alphabetically by creator.
and in the voting thread the creators are no longer named as voting should be done by the merits of the model, not by someones feelings towards a certain creator.

Waiting till the last minute to vote didn't do any good, because I've been so busy this month. I had made 6 picks when voting opened and then just ranked them quickly tonight. I'm exhausted from work and was just worried I would forget to vote. Not the best mentally right now, but oh well.

Some explanation:

First off it was ridiculously hard to just pick 6. Everyone did a great job.

I valued making something different from a vehicle, although there were lots of great cars and space ships. The Easel, Living Room, and TV system got my votes because visually they were nothing like the official builds. Mecha Robot was great because it has personality. Battlestar G got a vote because it was a scene from the show. I thought that was inspired.

It's ironic then that my #1 was something with 4 wheels used as wheels. But the lawnmower was just so beautifully designed. I just love looking at it.

ElyrionX

I didn't participate in this one but after seeing the entries, I want to participate in the next one. When is that happening? Seems like a long time since the voting thread went up. Is it really necessary to provide such a long period of time for voting?

I didn't participate in this one but after seeing the entries, I want to participate in the next one. When is that happening? Seems like a long time since the voting thread went up. Is it really necessary to provide such a long period of time for voting?

I thought 2 weeks for voting is a fair amount of time.
and we "only" have 30 votes in so far...
so if you haven't voted yet do it, do it, do it voting ends sunday lunchtime CEST

on sunday the results will be announced and the new contest will start.

ElyrionX

I don't know. The voting thread has been quiet the past five days.

Plus, I agree that the entries should be sorted by post number. I mean, why sort them by user name when the only reference to the entries in the voting thread are the post numbers? It makes referring to the entries while looking at people's voting ballots a lot harder than it should be.

well in the voting thread in only refer to the numbers because the votes should be cast on merit of model not on preference of this or the other poster.

The reason I sorted the entries by name rather then number is to not give the first entries an unfair advantage by being first in the list.
- probably not necessary, could be changed easily enough.

ElyrionX

Yeah, I do agree that omitting the poster's name in the voting thread is a good idea.

Anyway, another feedback I have is that while the voting thread has generally been put together very nicely with the thumbnails and all, I think it would probably have been easier for voters if the full size pictures were placed in that thread directly and sorted by post numbers. I don't think many people would have the patience to click through to more than 30 different posts to see which is best. Probably explains why there haven't been more votes in that thread.

Yeah, I do agree that omitting the poster's name in the voting thread is a good idea.

Anyway, another feedback I have is that while the voting thread has generally been put together very nicely with the thumbnails and all, I think it would probably have been easier for voters if the full size pictures were placed in that thread directly and sorted by post numbers. I don't think many people would have the patience to click through to more than 30 different posts to see which is best. Probably explains why there haven't been more votes in that thread.

I can see what you are getting at, but it could clutter up the thread alot...

This. It'll clutter up the OP, but opening up 40+ tabs to review and vote was messy.

RayStorm

If you drag them a bit, they will stay big until you click elsewhere

...which is slightly unfortunate if you have to scroll horizontally when you enlarged an image.

Perhaps it's possible to leave the OP in the voting thread as is but increase the size of the thumbnails to... maybe 200x200 pixels, so that they become a bit more useful?

And I also think the voting period is too long. I haven't voted yet because I'd like my decision to be final when I make it. Thus I'll wait for the last moment to cast my vote. I think I might not be the only one to handle it like that. But this behavior in combination with a rather long period brings the danger of forgetting about the process entirely.

...which is slightly unfortunate if you have to scroll horizontally when you enlarged an image.

Perhaps it's possible to leave the OP in the voting thread as is but increase the size of the thumbnails to... maybe 200x200 pixels, so that they become a bit more useful?

And I also think the voting period is too long. I haven't voted yet because I'd like my decision to be final when I make it. Thus I'll wait for the last moment to cast my vote. I think I might not be the only one to handle it like that. But this behavior in combination with a rather long period brings the danger of forgetting about the process entirely.

yea i was thinking of increasing the thumbnail size.
and ill keep the time frame in mind for next time.

ok, last few hours to vote!
looking back I'm really impressed by the huge resonance to this thread :)

#2 is in production and will go live this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom