• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #1 |OT| - thread of MOC'ery

Status
Not open for further replies.
sjFTB.png

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest

Idea: to face of in a hardened custom creation battle where the winner takes all and everyone else gets a pat on the back.

Aim: Having fun and improving our brick building skills on the way.

Rules: One cheapish set (that is still readily available) is chosen to give everyone a level playing field. From the parts contained in this set (including the spares that come with the box) a custom creation is to be built, no further theme or model limitations are placed. The custom model should however be of your own design and not blatantly copied from somewhere else, getting inspiration and ideas is of course permissible. Using parts not contained in the chosen set is not allowed.

Timeframe: The contest will last exactly one month from the start date, plenty of time for everyone to get the required set and start building. The custom model should be posted in the contest thread by the final date and the OT will be updated with links to the corresponding post. Each entry should contain no more than 5 pictures including one that also shows the pile of left over parts. Every member only gets to submit one entry, alternate builds can be bragged about after the contest deadline is over. Your original entry and post can be edited at will till the final deadline.

Start Date: 2012-07-15
End Date: 2012-08-15 2400 CET​

Submission:
To ensure I don't miss an entry you can always drop me a PM with a link, also if you are unhappy with my choice of name for your model, don't hesitate to give me the official name of your creation.

Face-off: The winner is then chosen by popular vote. For two weeks after the OT has been updated with the finalized entries and the voting round is officially opened by the OP voting can commence. Everyone can then post a list of all the custom models in order of preference (omitting your own custom model if you entered). For each ballot the last placed custom model gets one point, the penultimate custom model gets two points and so on. The points are then added up and a finalized ranking will be posted in the OT

[edit]
Voting is now open to the public here. Take note of the changed voting system!

[edit2]
Votes are counted and results are in here.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #1

Model to be used: 6913-1 - Blue Roadster
akjEc.png

Number of pieces: 152 (+8)
Number of colours: 12

More information:

Where to buy:
united_states_flag.jpg
Buy at Amazon.com (12.99$)
united_states_flag.jpg
Buy at LEGO.com (12.99$)

union-flag.jpg
Buy at Amazon.co.uk (8.97£)
union-flag.jpg
Buy at LEGO.com (8.99£) sale!

germany-flag.gif
Buy at Amazon.de (9.99€)
germany-flag.gif
Buy at LEGO.com (8.99€) sale!

many other places too.

Participants and their entries: (last updated 2012-08-16)
If you find an error, in Names or links please let me know.

229 - :Motorbass - Futuristic Car
187 - Baka Zeitgeist - Railgun
388 - biggyfries' daughter - Car
310 - ChaChaChaChia - Micro Building
192 - Chococat - Plane
081 - DJ_Lae - Trike
356 - DodgerSan - MK II Interceptor
214 - DrForester - Snow Speeder
228 - Dr Zhivago - Tumbler
213 - enewtabie - Battlestar Galactica
215 - FliXFantatier - Orbital Bomber
372 - FnordChan - Space Hog
283 - gate777 - TV Corner
299 - gokieks - Speedboat
372 - Hero - Ground Vehicle
296 - InfectedZero - Artillery Wagon
090 - Jasoneyu - Spaceship
332 - joelseph - Remote Controlled Car
337 - Katoki - Future Fighter Jet
278 - Kleevah - Spaceship
141 - Klendathu Club Owner - Bird
284 - LazyLoki - Spaceship
138 - Lombaszko - Hover Racer
387 - Meatpuppet - Skidoo Type Ice-Vehicle
038 - Milamber - Hovercar
125 - MisterNoisy - Miniature Spacecraft
188 - Mirk - Robot
317 - mrkgoo - Dropship
151 - NintendoGal - Transformer
373 - nny - Lawnmower
344 - PalaceBrother - Spider
181 - parrotbeak - Blue Pupster
265 - PhoncipleBone - Living Room Diorama
257 - Qasiel - Landspeeder
355 - RayStorm - Airplane
302 - RichardAM - Spacefloaty
172 - Rubberknuckles - Mecha Robot
210 - ruxtpin - 2 Seat Mech
275 - SillyEskimo - Crab
336 - Spanish Wrath - Metal Gear Colors
328 - Vyer - Little Fighter
270 - wetwired - Batman
331 - whatsinaname - Easel
286 - Wubby - Vic Viper

Prize Pool:
If you want to contribute to the Prize pool feel free. Any member can volunteer something for the prize pool if he or she so chooses, no obligation in any way. The final winner gets first dibs on one prize and that then continues down the line depending on the number of prizes.
Each prize is donated by a member in a certain country for free and no personal gain, and he or she will have to pay additional postage, so keep that in mind and perhaps choose a prize, whose generous giver is located in your country in order to minimize the postage cost.

JsNAxs.jpg

Generous Donors:
germany-flag.gif
FliXFantatier - Akira Special Edition Region 2 Blu Ray (UK Version) - unopened
united_states_flag.jpg
MisterNoisy - LEGO 9463 - The Werewolf - new in box/unopened
united_states_flag.jpg
PhoncipleBone - LEGO 9469 - Gandalf Arrives - new in box/unopened
union-flag.jpg
RichardAM - LEGO 8909 - Team GB Collectable Minifigure - new in box/unopened

I like LEGO and follow the thread, but I hate term MOC with a passion. Also, if someone doesn't follow the hobby, they would have no idea what it means.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm really happy that the first two posts in this thread are negative and slightly demeaning to what we've tried to establish. Thanks guys. :)

You can count me in. I've never felt too creative, but I would love to take a chance at something like this!

what else would you suggest then?

Why not just call it a "build anything" contest? Acronyms just seem to make it less friendly

Lego Custom Model contest.

I actually really like that.

I'm really happy that the first two posts in this thread are negative and slightly demeaning to what we've tried to establish. Thanks guys. :)

I was merely getting at the fact that an acronym is unfriendly for people who want to get in and try something, then not being able to understand.

Chuckl3s

I was going to say the same thing. Who cares about what word he used.

Anyways on topic...OP this is awesome and I'm willing to participate. I will make the purchase this weekend and start building. Great idea!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Why not just call it a "build anything" contest? Acronyms just seem to make it less friendly

I actually really like that.

I was merely getting at the fact that an acronym is unfriendly for people who want to get in and try something, then not being able to understand.

All hobbies have acronyms that are known within the community. MOC is a recognized word by LEGO themselves as well, and nobody is ever against answering the question of, "What does MOC mean?" We're a friendly group. :p

Jasoneyu

MOC shenanigins aside, I can't wait to buy this set and just tinker with the parts all month and see what I can build out of it!

The other good thing with using Creator sets for the contest is that they have three instructions in them, so there are many varied techniques shown for building.

If a mod could adjust the title please :)

I would capitalize all of MOC. Stands out a bit more and makes it more recognizable as an acronym.

Sudden thought, if I came up with several MOC's can I submit them all?

Was curious about that as well. It should state that only one entry per member in the OP. So if you make multiple models, you have to pick the very best one.

Then after the contest is over, everyone shows their alts. :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I would capitalize all of MOC. Stands out a bit more and makes it more recognizable as an acronym.

Agreed.

Also, I think what would help would be to define MOC nice a big at the beginning of the OP. That would make it very clear what it is and what people are looking at. And linking to MOCPages to see what it's all about wouldn't hurt.

Woorloog

Banned
Gotta see if i can find the set somewhere, i'm not going to order it online (the price rises a bit too much that way, consider how low the base price is) and if i do, then i'm in.

Also, hate term MOC as well, i just call custom builds "customs".

Gotta see if i can find the set somewhere, i'm not going to order it online (the price rises a bit too much that way, consider how low the base price is) and if i do, then i'm in.

Also, hate term MOC as well, i just call custom builds "customs".

BN has this set all the time. It is also easily found at Target. It is one of those sets that is nearly everywhere.

BN has this set all the time. It is also easily found at Target. It is one of those sets that is nearly everywhere.
I'm pretty sure I saw it at my neighborhood drugstore too; they had a few new cheap end Creator sets. I already ordered on amazon but I bet if most people just look for it during their regular shopping they'll find it by August.

Was curious about that as well. It should state that only one entry per member in the OP. So if you make multiple models, you have to pick the very best one.

Then after the contest is over, everyone shows their alts. :)

I can add that part, but the basic rule is already there.

Every member only gets to submit one entry.
changed to
Every member only gets to submit one entry, alternate builds can be bragged about after the contest deadline is over.

Jasoneyu

i'm in need to buy the thing and then see all you guy's creations and then cry.

Yup, can't wait to look at the pile of blue pieces and gently sob as i remember I can't build MOCs at all. Pretty excited about what other people are going to build though. I find when people can get really creative when they are given a limited toolset of which to creating something.

DJ_Lae

I'm in. It's actually one of the few sets I have here in my apartment so I have no excuse.

Well, all I have to do now is actually build something interesting.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ordered from amazon.

Can we post an initial entry and make changes up to the deadline, like the photography assignment threads?

Edit: the scoring seems off. Unless I've misunderstood, if you have entered a MOC you can't vote for yourself (fair enough), but then your list will be one shorter than anyone else voting, and your top choice will therefore get one less point than the topnchoicenof someone who hasn't entered. Can we just put our favourite 3 and they get 3/2/1 points (or stagger the points to weight towards the top choice - eg 5/3/1)

joelseph

Walked my sweaty ass through the loop and over to the LEGO Chicago store in Water Tower... they were flippin' sold out of this model! Ordering on Amazon!

gate777

I'm in.

Edit: Since this set doesn't come with any base plate and if we're building anything that requires one, I assume we can use one without breaking the rules?

Shiv47

I just bought this set along with a few other smaller sets to use in another project, so this works out nicely. I'm in. Should be fun.

Hero

Awesome, count me me in. I'm not good at MOC but this will help me get better.

Also, no prizes for the winner(s)?

Will it be a new Creator set every month? I think at some point we could do a separate bracket that combines two kits from back to back months that way we can have a lot more pieces to work with while still having a one kit only bracket so new people can still join in on the fun.

Awesome, count me me in. I'm not good at MOC but this will help me get better.

Also, no prizes for the winner(s)?

Will it be a new Creator set every month? I think at some point we could do a separate bracket that combines two kits from back to back months that way we can have a lot more pieces to work with while still having a one kit only bracket so new people can still join in on the fun.

I've had that thought too :)

And I'm still thinking about the possibility of prizes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom