• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #1 |OT| - thread of MOC'ery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
This could be the very best thread ever.
Kudos OP!

Switters

Misc-EXCITEMENT.gif

This thread is awesome!!!! I'm in.

Hero

I've had that thought too :)

And I'm still thinking about the possibility of prizes...

Yeah, I guess a good way of doing it might be something like:

July:

Blue Roadster MOC

August:

1. Dune Hopper MOC
2. Blue Roadster + Dune Hopper MOC

September:

1. Creator Helicopter MOC
2. Dune Hopper + Creator Helicopter MOC

Or alternatively, do single MOC for two months in a row, third month still offer single MOC contest but have all three month super-MOC. Limit to one bracket entry per GAFer or something.

Maybe prizes could be the next month's Creator kit? Not sure how much you wanna spend. Also would we have enough Creator kits to last us a while? Or would you think going to CITY/Ninjago/Monster Fighters/Star Wars would be okay too?

I've had that thought too :)

And I'm still thinking about the possibility of prizes...

Yeah, I guess a good way of doing it might be something like:

July:

Blue Roadster MOC

August:

1. Dune Hopper MOC
2. Blue Roadster + Dune Hopper MOC

September:

1. Creator Helicopter MOC
2. Dune Hopper + Creator Helicopter MOC

Or alternatively, do single MOC for two months in a row, third month still offer single MOC contest but have all three month super-MOC. Limit to one bracket entry per GAFer or something.

Maybe prizes could be the next month's Creator kit? Not sure how much you wanna spend. Also would we have enough Creator kits to last us a while? Or would you think going to CITY/Ninjago/Monster Fighters/Star Wars would be okay too?

I say keep it to one single model a month. Easier to track. However, I think once we should have a contest with a bigger set. Not $200+ big but like $50 or so.

I'm in, I got this set for my birthday earlier this year. Not promising anything spectacular, but maybe it will hone my MOC skills (as I have none)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
With it being the Olympics, I could see if I can get some Olympic minifigs for the prize pool. my local shop should have some. Would just be blind buying though

Any plans on building up to the Creator houses? Soooooo much potential there, and those would be a good way to use our newly-honed skills from these smaller sets.

I know some might not be able to afford them (it will take me some time to save up for the houses), but maybe we can have a month where you can have the options of either a house or use 2-3 of the previous sets.

Just a thought.

Vyer

Just picked it up. Built the actual model with my son, but afterwards looked over the pieces for a while and remembered I probably suck at MOCs. Lol. Oh well, might try something.

Any plans on building up to the Creator houses? Soooooo much potential there, and those would be a good way to use our newly-honed skills from these smaller sets.

I know some might not be able to afford them (it will take me some time to save up for the houses), but maybe we can have a month where you can have the options of either a house or use 2-3 of the previous sets.

Just a thought.

Log Cabin was mentioned, I think. That's around $30.

Log Cabin is only $30. Apple Tree House is $50. I say let's see where it goes.

DJ_Lae

I played around with the parts tonight as I probably won't get a whole lot of time the next month to put something together. I had an idea for a trike, I ran with it, rebuilt it a fair amount, and I'm not quite happy with parts of it (the front) but it's probably the best I'll come up with in the time frame.

I did make sure to make the seats minifig size as my daughter immediately wanted to play with it upon seeing me build something. Keeping her away was probably harder than figuring out some sneaky use for parts.

XZ1IT.jpg

06VIT.jpg

BJMBO.jpg

And a bonus:

ggJd4.jpg

Maybe some aspect of it can be an inspiration for others to make something really cool.

Milamber

Awesome entry there. Keeping it minifig size is an added bonus.

I hope cellphone camera quality pics doesn't affect the scoring. That is the only camera I have access to.

Awesome entry there. Keeping it minifig size is an added bonus.

I hope cellphone camera quality pics doesn't affect the scoring. That is the only camera I have access to.
This is a building contest. Not a photography contest. You will be fine.

I already have the set, but parts of it are in my two major Modular Mocs. Will be buying another copy of the set just for this contest. Probably won't post an entry until close to deadline though. Give me time to play with ideas. Already have a couple. Let's see how well I can pull them off.

Milamber

This is a building contest. Not a photography contest. You will be fine.

I already have the set, but parts of it are in my two major Modular Mocs. Will be buying another copy of the set just for this contest. Probably won't post an entry until close to deadline though. Give me time to play with ideas. Already have a couple. Let's see how well I can pull them off.

Thanks.

I bought 3 of these sets for myself, months ago just for the 3 builds. Gonna go out & buy more as I have several nephews birthdays coming up.

v0yce

Picked up the set at Target.

I haven't played with Legos for a decade or so. It felt great putting the kit together. Looking forward to seeing if I can come up with something,

Milamber

Picked up the set at Target.

I haven't played with LEGO for a decade or so. It felt great putting the kit together. Looking forward to seeing if I can come up with something,

How much was it in Target? Maybe the ones still on the fence can find it cheaper there.

How much was it in Target? Maybe the ones still on the fence can find it cheaper there.

$12.99, just like nearly everywhere that is not called Toys R Us.

I am also glad to see many new names to Lego GAF in here. And I think the low cost of the set is what is getting people into this. Love it!

I plan on picking one up this afternoon, looks like a great idea for a thread.

Also for Aus Gaffers the set is about $15 @ Big W.

Jasoneyu

ENTRY

Ended up redoing my build away from star trek, not sure if I should keep this one or submit my old one, oh well:

Ship with launch pad and crane (including spare parts)
7571026688_b1c209d529_c.jpg

Just the ship
7571028294_218e552759_c.jpg

Just the launch pad and crane (where most of the extra parts went)
7571030706_a3c9c47364_c.jpg

another angle:
7571031908_996b02328c_c.jpg

The rest of the builds (including the star trek ship alt):http://flic.kr/s/aHsjAABmcJ

Wow nice idea. Already quality entries on!

Could someone please post a picture of the spare parts when the main set model is built? I have the roadster here but put all the spares of my recent sets together... :/

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Going to check the price at my local toy shop on the way home otherwise an Amazon order it is.

Milamber

Wow nice idea. Already quality entries on!

Could someone please post a picture of the spare parts when the main set model is built? I have the roadster here but put all the spares of my recent sets together... :/

Here. But spare parts sometimes differ. Just click on 'Load remaining parts...' in the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom