• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #1 |OT| - thread of MOC'ery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lombaszko

You guys are going to get me back into LEGO. Dammit!

Yes! Run towards the light! Join us!
i7o6UeHIksM9O.gif

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
A whole month, eh? Might give this one a pop then. Though my MOCing skills thus far have been terrible. Only one way to improve :)

gate777

Here's a suggestion. Let's keep combining all the previous sets with the new set in order to make larger creations.

Example: This month it's the blue roadster; next month it's the transport truck combined with the blue roadster. The following month it's the blue roadster, transport truck and the new set introduced.

Keep this going for a total of 3-5 sets and then reset the cycle again to new sets.

Here's a suggestion. Let's keep combining all the previous sets with the new set in order to make larger creations.

Example: This month it's the blue roadster; next month it's the transport truck combined with the blue roadster. The following month it's the blue roadster, transport truck and the new set introduced.

Keep this going for a total of 3-5 sets and then reset the cycle again to new sets.

I prefer the idea of a single model each month. $15 is going to be a lot easier to swing for many folks and it will keep the playing field level.

The more inclusive the better in my opinion!

ruxtpin

Banned
I prefer the idea of a single model each month. $15 is going to be a lot easier to swing for many folks and it will keep the playing field level.

I'm in agreement. One set a month, but as a compromise... Maybe after using $15 dollar models for 2-3 months, every 3rd or 4th month we can push it to a set that's around $30-35 (would allow for some bigger/more intricate models possibly - and still not break the bank).

The only issue I have with that is that once I am done with the set, I am most likely to take it apart and use its parts in other creations. It would be harder to keep a separate stock of sets just to keep combining them.

I do think the single model idea is the best thing to do to keep the playing field level. And the low cost of entry was one of the main things I suggested in the main Lego thread. Also, the limited piece count also makes for a greater challenge.

However, I do think that once or twice a year (if we keep this going that is), we should have a contest with one larger set. I know we mentioned Log Cabin in here (which is only $30), but a contest using a massive 1000+ piece set could be fun. Still keeps the playing field level if everyone has the same parts, but the barrier for entry just means fewer entrants. But do the expensive one only once.

I just spent about an hour with the set. This is going to be more difficult than I first thought. I have a lot of ideas but when I get 1/2 way through a particular build, I'm missing the parts I want/need. I have already been forced to come up with some unique solutions, which has been great fun.

I'll be exploring all the parts and the opportunities/limitations they present for the next several weeks before deciding on my final design.

This was a great idea.

Went and picked up another copy of the set at lunch. Just finished my first attempt at a model. Will do a few more just to try out other ideas, but the first attempt used all but six pieces.

Second model made today. This time I had tons of pieces left over. The problem with having such a long time before the deadline means I can keep tweaking and redoing stuff. That is good and bad. But I have to say, being limited to just the pieces in the set is strangely liberating for creativity.

Second model made today. This time I had tons of pieces left over. The problem with having such a long time before the deadline means I can keep tweaking and redoing stuff. That is good and bad. But I have to say, being limited to just the pieces in the set is strangely liberating for creativity.

Restrictions are the best thing for invention, whether practical or artsy.

That was one of the main things I was pushing for in the main thread. Limitations breed creative solutions.

I'm pretty tempted to disassemble one of the few sets I have to do something like this. Wonder what i could build out of the pyramid or funhouse.....

Not fire brigade though. I need to bask in its beauty for a while before harming it.

Jasoneyu

Super curious on your builds you should post your prototypes before submitting the final version. But I am sure it goes against the spirit of the contest :(.

MisterNoisy

It seems my Target was well-stocked with this kit, unlike many of the others here.

Anyway, here's my first crack at it - it's a little spacecraft, somewhat inspired by classic space shmups. I had lots of parts left over, so I included a little display stand (EDIT: replaced with hangar/maintenance bay) as part of the build:

9pNlV.jpg

HOTp3.jpg

DcRkZ.jpg

PdH7Q.jpg

O3BB8.jpg

...and the spare parts:

bEveX.jpg

It seems my Target was well-stocked with this kit, unlike many of the others here.

Anyway, here's my first crack at it - it's a little spacecraft, somewhat inspired by classic space shmups. I had lots of parts left over, so I included a little display stand as part of the build:

gZQBr.jpg

CR86Q.jpg

nCLx6.jpg

1GeNs.jpg

l9hWu.jpg

Very cool. Loved having to stare at the pics for a bit to figure out how you pulled off some of the stuff in there. Especially love using the 1x1 bricks with the side studs (the mirrors on the official set) to get the studs going both directions to add the wings. Fantastic stuff, but looks extremely fragile.

Made another model tonight. Three done in one day, and all three radically different from each other. I will probably have over a dozen alt builds or more when this is all said and done.

MisterNoisy

Very cool. Loved having to stare at the pics for a bit to figure out how you pulled off some of the stuff in there. Especially love using the 1x1 bricks with the side studs (the mirrors on the official set) to get the studs going both directions to add the wings. Fantastic stuff, but looks extremely fragile.

Made another model tonight. Three done in one day, and all three radically different from each other. I will probably have over a dozen alt builds or more when this is all said and done.

Many thanks - I've seen your work in the LEGO OT, so it's pretty gratifying that you dig it. :)

The model is definitely not something you'd be able to play with - the wing assemblies are held on by single stud joints, and the forward part of the fuselage is only held in place by the rearmost of those side stud pieces, with the forward 'axle' (the other side stud brick) resting on the light blue 1x1 wedge. I was pretty dead set on having a couple of weird angles in the build, and unfortunately, fragility is the price i paid. This is my favorite 'scale' to work in with LEGO, though.

Can't wait to see what you come up with! :)

Vyer

Pretty cool stuff already. I would like to try some different builds, but finished my first one tonight....but something tells me I'll procrastinate and that'll be it. lol.

Anyway, here's my first crack at it - it's a little spacecraft, somewhat inspired by classic space shmups. I had lots of parts left over, so I included a little display stand as part of the build:

gZQBr.jpg

CR86Q.jpg

nCLx6.jpg

1GeNs.jpg

l9hWu.jpg

thats an awesome little ship :)

MisterNoisy

I hate to do this, but I decided to tinker a bit more and made a couple of changes in the wing/engine assemblies to balance them against the back of the fuselage a bit more, so here's the slightly revised (and final) version of my entry:

(snip for great justice)

EDIT: Images moved to original post

I hate to do this, but I decided to tinker a bit more and made a couple of changes in the wing/engine assemblies to balance them against the back of the fuselage a bit more, so here's the slightly revised (and final) version of my entry:
edit your original post then, that way I dont have to relink all the time...

Milamber

OVn59.jpg

Wow. That looks like my 00 Raiser. Here's my pic back when I had a 'real' camera.

Lombaszko

Wow, that spaceship is incredible, hopefully the more of these I do, the better I'll become. Anyway, here's my entry. My son had lost a few pieces but I was able to make a small spaceship/Wipeout type vehicle.
jIomllze8IL6t.JPG

jxIvae35LrwPy.JPG

jHMamFajPvMFB.JPG

jbrCHnhEKpSdtq.JPG

I started out trying to make a non-vehicle but after building the four official car builds with this set, I just couldn't see it as anything else. Hopefully the next set we build I won't have so I can go in totally blind, but this was fun!

awesome Ship Lombaszko
Thanks!

Spirit3

Blimey this is hard. So far all I've managed to construct is a retarded Droid. Liking what I see so far, the mini spaceship is my favourite so far.

sjFTB.png

Prize Pool:
If you want to contribute to the Prize pool feel free. Any member can volunteer something for the prize pool if he or she so chooses, no obligation in any way. The final winner gets first dibs on one prize and that then continues down the line depending on the number of prizes.
Each prize is donated by a member in a certain country for free and no personal gain, and he or she will have to pay additional postage, so keep that in mind and perhaps choose a prize that whose generous giver is located in your country in order to minimize the postage cost.

Generous Donors:
germany-flag.gif
FliXFantatier - Akira Special Edition Region 2 Blu Ray (UK Version)

I've added a Prize Pool to the OT, so feel free to contribute ;)

awesome Ship Lombaszko

Man that spaceship is super awesome!

I started tinkering around and came up with something that reminded me a little bit of the head of a pterodactyl and decided to to build a small dinosaur. Since I still had so many spare parts left over I added a small diorama: A prehistoric dude was cooking a nice soup on his fire when all of a sudden this giant, flying dionsaur landed on a rock near his home. Understandbly, he was very afraid and hid in his hut.

JzPbDl.jpg

Qasiel

This thread is awesome! I never had Lego as a kid, but I've just gone and bought the set to have a play around with. This is so exciting!

Man that spaceship is super awesome!

I started tinkering around and came up with something that reminded me a little bit of the head of a pterodactyl and decided to to build a small dinosaur. Since I still had so many spare parts left over I added a small diorama: A prehistoric dude was cooking a nice soup on his fire when all of a sudden this giant, flying dionsaur landed on a rock near his home. Understandbly, he was very afraid and hid in his hut.

JzPbDl.jpg

Love this. Very different idea. Although, when I look at it I think of this:
drinking_bird_desk.jpg

joelseph

My set should arrive today. Got a few ideas brewing but I know the small piece count will probably make me adept on the fly!

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Very nice stuff!

Diggin that awesome ship and the pterodactyl.

I might be tempted to join, the set is 9 euros on amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom