• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #1 |OT| - thread of MOC'ery

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetwired

can we post WIP but not as a final submission? like if I post something I make but I may abandon it completely and make something else completely different? or should I just stick to posting the final entry?

I've never participated in a contest before, so maybe there are other reasons I didn't think of, but I figured the thread should look clean so people can scroll through and see entries only. I edited my earlier WIP post to just make url links; that way people can click if they want but they know they aren't looking at an official entry.

But I'll let Flix answer cuz I never really thought about contest rules before.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think it might be ok to post multiple models, but edit your original post to put changes in, as flix is linking to those posts. Maybe PM him the link to the post too, to help him pick out the entries more clearly. Lastly, perhaps put 'entry' or similar in the title of your post

I think it might be ok to post multiple models, but edit your original post to put changes in, as flix is linking to those posts. Maybe PM him the link to the post too, to help him pick out the entries more clearly. Lastly, perhaps put 'entry' or similar in the title of your post

This is actually a good idea, lets the OP know what to post what not to post for the contest. Edited my post.
Yea that would probably be very helpfull as it is getting more and more difficult to distinguish entry and non entry.
You can alway alter your entry till the final deadline.

Also if you change the nature of your model also drop me a line so I can update that in the OT.

I Don't really mind WIP posts, if you don't mind giving up your best ideas ;)

Spirit3

I'll be putting in a prize for the Aussie crowd, if there are any. Also I may have an entry, but will play around with some more ideas and input an entry in a couple of weeks.

enewtabie

May I present the Battlestar Neogafica. I tried using the least amount of pieces that I could. It's a scene from the original show(if your old as I am to have watched it) where Pegasus was going against two Basestars

039-1.jpg

040.jpg

038-1.jpg

041.jpg

OH MY GOD! It's full of stars It doesn't work.
This made me laugh. I think in this case the m and l are the same because the original pic is not bigger than size parameter for their "medium." It's probably not enlarging the large, but rather reducing the s and m, and if it's already m sized, it won't reduce it.

Kapura

Banned
Is there a competition for people with no imaginations? I want to sign up for that and get my participation badge ;(

Your participation prize is a wonderful blue lego roadster!

I haven't seen this until now, but I threw down that mad amazon immediately. I should have the set by the end of the week.

I didn't really have any ideas for this, but I started doodling and came up with this:

It's Bruce Wayne's ill-advised attempt to rebuild the Tumbler using parts from a 1985 Austin Montego - The Bumbler.
Uses pretty much everything apart from the red bracket, the steering wheel & the wing mirrors.

Hey GAF! I started building and didn't think that I would finish something, but the vague idea became real somehow. I haven't built a "serious" MOC since my childhood and getting the links together with the small amount of tiles wasn't easy but very fun! And I used nearly all the tiles. I am surprised that most stuff fit together somehow, don't give up everyone, even if it might seem impossible! I just kept on building and switched some parts later on.

I'd say it's a self-driving wagon from the future. Windshields are so old school.

Background for contrast (and because I'm too lazy to clean the desk)
lW1Ar.jpg

CVZrH.jpg

Side view
JEths.jpg

You can even open the hatch door! That was totally lucky.
kOzUt.jpg

The rest of the parts and a view on how the front wheels and the hood is held in place. That was the most difficult part.
UHfMu.jpg

Edit: ^ Oh damn that bumbler is nice!

Jasoneyu

Hey GAF! I started building and didn't think that I would finish something, but the vague idea became real somehow. I haven't built a "serious" MOC since my childhood and getting the links together with the small amount of tiles wasn't easy but very fun! And I used nearly all the tiles. I am surprised that most stuff fit together somehow, don't give up everyone, even if it might seem impossible! I just kept on building and switched some parts later on.

I'd say it's a self-driving wagon from the future. Windshields are so old school.

Edit: ^ Oh damn that bumbler is nice!

Nice build! reminds me of the hl2 combine trucks:

lhHNc.jpg

The bumbler is nice too! It is crazy what people are making with this set lol

My wife decided to build for the first time in 30 years and ended up stealing all of the pieces for this. I feel her inclusion of the wrench is pretty sharp.

oKMChl.jpg

I made do with the handful of pieces she left me with. Seeing everybody else's designs are really inspiring! I'll definitely do a larger build as my formal entry.

CT2Jgl.jpg

QJljyl.jpg

Complete with less than desirable stand:

U8IRCl.jpg

Question: Is the "wrench into hollow stud" technique considered verboten like the sideways plate-to-plate connections?

FliXFantatier - Thanks for updating the FP with my entry. In case I want to use a revised entry, would you rather I make a new post and empty out the old one or should I just replace the content in my old post?

FliXFantatier - Thanks for updating the FP with my entry. In case I want to use a revised entry, would you rather I make a new post and empty out the old one or should I just replace the content in my old post?

Em, I'm not sure, I don't really mind one way or the other, just make sure to tell me so I can update the OT :)

This is not about the contest but inspired by it. I decided to take my mini-creator fire creator and create an alt, a tank

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7ad584h8b1qh6jz4o1_500.jpg

That is really cool!

wetwired

I didn't really have any ideas for this, but I started doodling and came up with this:

It's Bruce Wayne's ill-advised attempt to rebuild the Tumbler using parts from a 1985 Austin Montego - The Bumbler.

Uses pretty much everything apart from the red bracket, the steering wheel & the wing mirrors.
Reminds me of the spinner from blade runner.

Wow, that is great!

Is there a 3rd wheel on the rail? I was thinking you could use the 2 unused gray tiles with the holes and the other 2 wheels to make the pillar bases, instead of the illegal connections. But I see in one pic there seems to be 3 wheels used already.

Wow, that is great!

Is there a 3rd wheel on the rail? I was thinking you could use the 2 unused gray tiles with the holes and the other 2 wheels to make the pillar bases, instead of the illegal connections. But I see in one pic there seems to be 3 wheels used already.

Illegal connections!? I thought that was a joke. :O

I do have quite a few left over pieces. I should be able to scrounge up something for the base. Will try once I get home today.

I used the third wheel to correct for a tiny bit of asymmetry in the cabin. (From a visual point of view, I rationalised it as a flywheel/spare).

Wow, that is great!

The rules don't state anything about those.

Lots of illegal connections in the entries so far. But as stated before, it doesn't explicitly forbid them in the rules, so anything goes.

However, the next one of these we do will most likely have a rule.

I kinda like it without the rule, although I think it is fair to mark down when judging. The list of official illegal connections might be complicated for some people (like me). You can kinda tell by feel--if the plastic feels stressed or the fit isn't just right, but I think this might take some time playing to figure out.

Here is a ppt for those unfamiliar with it: cache.lego.com/downloads/brickfest2006/brickstress.ppt

I was thinking about how to rank all those entries in order of preference, especially when I like all of them. Thinking I might make categories and then do a 1-5 number ranking and then just total the scores. "Appearance of Playability" or something like that would be one category and illegal connections or ones that appear unstable would be a negative there. On the other hand it could be a positive in "Aesthetics" or "Creative Piece Usage."

I was just going to make this judging criteria for my own use, but might as well open it to discussion. I haven't made categories yet, just throwing out some ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom