• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

sjFTB.png

What is LEGO?

Lego (trademarked in capitals as LEGO) is a line of construction toys manufactured by the Lego Group, a privately held company based in Billund, Denmark. The company's flagship product, Lego, consists of colorful interlocking plastic bricks and an accompanying array of gears, minifigures and various other parts. Lego bricks can be assembled and connected in many ways, to construct such objects as vehicles, buildings, and even working robots. Anything constructed can then be taken apart again, and the pieces used to make other objects. The toys were originally designed in the 1940s in Denmark and have achieved an international appeal, with an extensive subculture that supports Lego movies, games, video games, competitions, and four Lego themed amusement parks.
Source Article

pRTfC.png

History

The Lego Group began in the workshop of Ole Kirk Christiansen (7 April 1891 – 11 March 1958), a carpenter from Billund, Denmark, who began making wooden toys in 1932. In 1934 his company came to be called "Lego", from the Danish phrase leg godt, which means "play well".
It expanded to producing plastic toys in 1947. In 1949 Lego began producing the now famous interlocking bricks, calling them "Automatic Binding Bricks". These bricks were based largely on the patent of Kiddicraft Self-Locking Bricks, which were released in the United Kingdom in 1947. Lego modified the design of the Kiddicraft brick after examining a sample given to it by the British supplier of an injection-molding machine that the company had purchased. The bricks, manufactured from cellulose acetate, were a development of traditional stackable wooden blocks that locked together by means of several round studs on top and a hollow rectangular bottom. The blocks snapped together, but not so tightly that they required extraordinary effort to be separated.
The Lego Group's motto is det bedste er ikke for godt which means 'only the best is good enough'. This motto was created by Ole Kirk to encourage his employees never to skimp on quality, a value he believed in strongly. The motto is still used within the company today. The use of plastic for toy manufacture was not highly regarded by retailers and consumers of the time. Many of the Lego Group's shipments were returned after poor sales; it was thought that plastic toys could never replace wooden ones.
By 1954 Christiansen's son Godtfred Kirk Christiansen had become the junior managing director of the Lego Group. It was his conversation with an overseas buyer that struck the idea of a toy system. Godtfred saw the immense potential in Lego bricks to become a system for creative play but the bricks still had some problems from a technical standpoint: their locking ability was limited and they were not very versatile. In 1958 the modern brick design was developed but it took another five years to find the right material for it. The modern Lego brick was patented at 1:58 p.m on January 28, 1958;bricks from that year are still compatible with current bricks.
Source Article
Shamelessly stolen from Wetwired's OP for the last Lego thread.

pRTfC.png

Popular Themes
Click the logo to be taken to the Lego home page for the theme.

Probably the most diverse and all encompassing theme for Lego sets out there. Almost all sets come with complete instructions for three different models. Sets include things ranging from dragons to eagles, cars to jets, and houses to robots. One of the most well regarded themes going right now, and the best gateway sets to introduce someone to Lego.

One of the most popular and enduring themes in Lego history. It focuses on city life and normal city services. Popular sub themes include Fire Fighters, Police, and Contruction

One of the biggest selling themes for Lego, the Star Wars theme encompasses not only the film series, but also the animated Clone Wars series as well as extended universe properties like The Old Republic.

Newly introduced in 2012, the Friends theme is focused primarily to appeal to girls. Featuring unique figures unlike any other Lego series, the sets also feature bricks in very unique colors such as pastels and pink. The uniqueness of the brick colors make this a popular theme with collectors.
Don't be put off by the girly nature of the sets, as the sets are still full blooded Lego goodness, and feature many neat and advanced building techniques.

Marvel Universe
DC Universe
Featuring some of your favorite super heroes from Marvel and DC. Sets include things from The Batcave to the Quinjet.

New in 2012, Lego finally journeys to Middle Earth. One brick to rule them all! And new for Holiday 2012 is the Hobbit sub theme.

Designed to recreate famous buildings in micro scale, this series appeals mainly to adults and make fantastic desk decorations. Some sets are vastly overpriced in the price per brick ratio, but some are amazing display pieces, such as Robie House.

For the truly advanced builder, Technic focuses more on the mechanical and engineering aspect of Lego. From gears and levers, to actual motors and pneumatics, these sets are both challenging and rewarding to assemble.

Other themes:
Monster Fighters Newly introduced in 2012. It is unknown if more sets are to be released.

Ninjago One of the biggest selling themes of the last few years. 2013 is expected to be the end of the line for this popular ninja themed series.

All currently available Lego themes

pRTfC.png

Themes for the Serious Lego Fan
In addition to all the regular themes, Lego also has sets and sub themes aimed at adult fans of Lego (AFOL) and those with deeper pockets.

LEGO-Star-Wars-10221-Super-Star-Destroyer-Toysnbricks.jpg

Star Wars Ultimate Collector Series (UCS): Prices range from $100-$500 MSRP
These sets are designed to represent the ultimate in detail and size for hard core Star Wars fans. The Super Star Destroyer shown above is one of the largest Lego sets ever released at over 50" long and costing $400 US. Sets are generally released one or two per year, and kept in production for two to three years. After going out of print (OOP), values on these sets tend to skyrocket in the aftermarket. The white whale for many Lego Star Wars collectors is the UCS Millennium Falcon.

LEGO-Creator-10197-Fire-Brigade-Toys-N-Bricks.jpg

Modular Buildings: Prices range from $150-$200 MSRP
Released at a rate of one per year for the last several years, the modular buildings are designed to mimic buildings seen on a normal downtown street. Beginning with Cafe Corner, a new building was released each year to keep the street growing. Beginning with Green Grocer (now OOP), the buildings started to feature extensive interior details. Like the Star Wars UCS sets, these tend to spike in price once going out of print.
These sets also feature a fantastic price per brick ratio, as sets average 2000+ pieces for only $150-$200.

LEGO-Creator-10214-Tower-Bridge-Toys-N-Bricks.jpg

Lego Exclusives: Prices range from $80 MSRP and up
From miniature modular buildings to the Sopwith Camel. From Winter Cottages to Tower Bridge. These sets, usually identified by their blue boxes, are timed exclusives to Lego stores and feature very detailed builds and high piece counts. These sets also spike in price in the after market after going out of print.

pRTfC.png

Mini Figures
pic62C0128AEEC983D3E93E048B06A3B700.png

One of the most iconic pieces of Lego, and what helps drive the collector craze. Not only do many sets come with unique mini figures, but Lego also releases a line of unique figures. Each series consists of 16 different figures, and it is a mystery as to what you get in each package.

Or is it? Many figure out tricks to decipher which figure is in which bag. One method is to know the dot code that is embossed on the packaging itself. This one is a bit trickier than the good ole feel method. Just feel the bag to figure out which figure is inside. The trick is to feel for unique pieces to certain figures, such as the unique wings that are on the Man Bat figure show above, or Santa's sack of toys. Is it an exact science? No, but it will help you get the figures you want to complete your collection.
There is also an active community in here for trading figures among users.

Wanting to display your mini figures? Our very own Wetwired, Lego Nut Extraordinaire has one of the coolest methods for displaying your collection:
Wetwired's Flickr Gallery of Minifigures

The frames are IKEA Ribba Frames.

pRTfC.png

The Brick Separator

Below is one of the single most useful things you can own if you are into Lego.
pic0B3890F244D6719BF0956969B105D999.jpg

The new and improved Lego Brick Separator. You can buy it on its own, but over the last year Lego has been putting them in most moderately expensive sets, so it is easy to amass a collection of them.

What can you do with them?

pic0FA65BC525DC27F29957A7797D423371.jpg

picCCA8C8438F184A1E37290D0F5490F9E9.jpg

picAE5CEFAEF828AB56B651B01EBE018339.jpg

Easily separate bricks. Whether it be plates, bricks, or jumper plates.

pic7E88880AC982781B8453C1CA13152576.jpg

Use the flat edge to pop flat tile pieces off. Great when disassembling the Modular series.

pic959529E8936F93B51C197E3A37DED592.jpg

pic025B2C93E44F94C92CD758C086905887.jpg

Use the technic peg at the top of the tool to remove axles and pegs.

But for the ultimate use of them, you need two of them for this dirty little secret:
TBs_20111002_1f.gif

Use two to pull apart plates that are together, including the ultra annoying 1x2 tiles stacked on each other.

pRTfC.png

Storage and Sorting
So, now that you have amassed a large collection of plastic bricks, how do you store them? And how do you sort them?

There is no perfect or official way to sort your collection. But there are several popular methods for keeping your stash of bricks organized and neatly out of the way (to avoid fights from significant others).

1) Sort by type, not by color. If is far easier to find a red 1x1 brick in a sea of randomly colored 1x1 bricks than it is to find that brick in a sea of identically colored bricks of all sizes.
-Exception: If you have significant quantities of one particular color of a certain type of brick. It usually works out better to make a separate stash for that one brick in that one color. You will know when you get to that point.

2) Organize bins by type: this is an extension of the above idea. Keep all your 1x? bricks separated in their own area, and all your 2x? bricks separated in another. Labeling your drawers/bins with what style (1x? tiles, 1x? bricks, 2x? bricks, wheels, windows, etc) makes it easier to find the parts you need quickly. Having a drawer with a pocket for wheels, and a pocket for 1x2 plates while your 1x3 plates are in another drawer just adds confusion.

What do I store this stuff in?

Again, it is all personal preference. Some prefer to keep their sets separate and in Ziploc bags. Some like to lump their entire collection together.

The three most popular methods (outside of custom cabinets for those lucky people) are:

Stanley Sortmaster
Small, stackable bins with adjustable pockets inside. Easy to stack in a corner or slide under the bed. Also fairly inexpensive, and easy to keep buying more as your collection grows.

Plastic storage drawers
Small, shallow, and easy to put on a table. These are clean and out of the way, and easy to label. The only issue is if you want to move the cabinets. The backs are usually open, so tilting the cabinet can result in pieces spilling out. However, if you don't move the bins much, these are very clean and easy to organize pieces.

Third is to use lots of these guys:

Separate containers for each piece type (or however else). This is nice because you can pull out only what you need, and if you need a larger bin you just dump your smaller one into the larger one and can keep expanding. Easily labelled, and cheap to buy as well. These are also nice to use when building a new set. I particularly like dumping a bag into a separate bin. It keeps things organized like they came in the box, but I still get to dig for pieces like all the psychos that mix them all.

Again, there is no perfect solution. You gotta do what feels right for you, and what you can do with whatever space you have in your home.

pRTfC.png

MOC (AKA Mind of Creator or My Own Creation)
The best thing about Lego is the infinite replay ability of it all. You can take a set apart and rebuild it, or you can take it to its logical conclusion and begin creating your own sets. This is referred to in fan circles as MOCing.

Wetwired's genius at work:

Front View by Brent Waller, on Flickr

My first ever major MOC:
7rZsMh.jpg

Album of more Cafe images

pRTfC.png

Recommended Sets
These sets are ones that are usually very well regarded by many of us here on GAF. Many I will personally recommend, and others I have not secured yet but come highly recommended by other users on here.

For the budget minded consumer:

9469 Gandalf Arrives. $12.99 USA MSRP

6913 Creator Blue Roadster. $12.99 USA MSRP

6914 Prehistoric Hunters. $17.99 USA MSRP

Mid Range Priced Sets:

5891 Apple Tree House. $44.99 USA MSRP

9495 Gold Leader Y-Wing. $49.99 USA MSRP

9493 X-Wing. $54.99 USA MSRP

6869 Quinjet Ariel Battle. $69.99 USA MSRP

10230 Mini Modulars. $79.99 USA MSRP

Higher Priced Sets:

7965 Millenium Falcon. $139.99 USA MSRP

10220 Volkswagon T1 Camper Van. $119.99 USA MSRP

10231 Shuttle Expedition. $99.99 USA MSRP

10193 Medieval Market Village. $99.99 USA MSRP

Modular Building Series. $149.99-$199.99 USA MSRP

For the truly insane (if you got it, flaunt it!):

10212 Imperial Shuttle. $259.99 USA MSRP

10188 Death Star. $399.99 USA MSRP (My personal, highest recommendation)

10221 Super Star Destroyer. $399.99 USA MSRP.

10214 Tower Bridge. $239.99 USA MSRP.

pRTfC.png

Sets and Themes Many of Us are Drooling Over for 2013.

70705-1.jpg

Galaxy Squad. A nice return to form for Space Systems fans. Ghostmind was lucky enough to already snag some of this line.

10937-1.jpg

Arkham Asylum Breakout. Coming in January, and looking oh, so sexy.

10233-1.jpg

Horizon Express. Maersk Train is a goner now. (But can still be found on many retailers' sites.) This is a Jaime designed set, so expect much awesomeness.

pRTfC.png

Terms to Know (Shamelessly stolen from Wetwired's OP from first thread)

Minifig or Minifigure - The official name for the little LEGO men and women.
MOC - My Own Creation, the term used in the community to describe your LEGO creations.
Stud - The name given to the little protruding round circles on the top of LEGO bricks.
AFOL - Adult Fan of LEGO
TFOL - Teenage Fan of LEGO
TLC and TLG - The LEGO Company and The Lego Group respectively.

pRTfC.png

pUvwAl.jpg

Chuckie

Wow...awesome OP! Makes me want to run to the store and buy me some more LEGO.

Waiting for the Hobbit though ;)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
great OP. I'm so far fairly happy that I don't have a huge list of sets in 2013 that I desparately want just yet

- Eagle/Beaver/Scorpion creator set
- Horizon Express
- modular cinema/theater

I have a heck of a backlog that I wasn't expecting, and will probably need to 'introduce' them to the house over 2013, so please lego, no more awesome sets for a while..
- 2x Helm's deep (one very cheap from amazon, one in a 3-for-2 offer)
- ninjago fire temple (50% off on amazon black friday just now)
- Ninjago Epic dragon battle (pencilled in for daughter's birthday next year but grabbed it on offer)
- Avengers Quinjet
- technic 4x4 RC crawler
- Sonic boom
- Highway Hauler
- Tower Bridge (Still not built! might try to build it with family over christmas)
- 3 various Dino sets (for my daughter for christmas)

Will be putting up the winter bakery and the free Christmas set as a christmas decoration for the first time this year, lets see if it becomes a tradition :)

Fantastic OP.

Having not bought any sets since August, I bought the Star Wars Advent Calendar and Wolverine Chopper Escape sets for my nephews. Now I feel the addiction returning.

Also, dat Arkham Asylum set. It will be mine, oh yes.

Ha! Cracking OP :)

I'm off to Bricklink (worth a mention in the OP? Didn't catch it in there) to order the next batch of pieces for my daughter's Dino MOC - nearly there now!

R-User!

I got a bunch of sets on my haul from the Lego Store this morning; but I have to head back out so I'll share item and pricing details later today!

I will share this one though:

Haunted House 10% off = 176.16 after tax!!! :)

Falch

Sets I'm looking at for the rest of this year and next year:
- Entire Hobbit collection (but on the fence about Goblin King) + probably Helm's Deep (only LOTR set I don't have yet)
- Loki's Cosmic Cube + Captain Avenger, plus some 2013 sets (Spiderman, Batman Arkham Asylum)
- Modulars: Pet Shop + Town Hall
- Star Wars A-wing starfighter

Perhaps 2 sets of TMNT (to get all the turtles) and I'm looking out for the new Castle sets.

I've decided not to get involved in trains (including the 2013 Horizon Express), Monster Hunter series or holiday themed sets.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Woot!! New OT!! Great job Bone!

ALL YOUR MONIES ARE BELONG TO LEGO.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Finally got my storage and sorted all my pick a brick pieces. This is mostly parts to Cafe Corner. Still need to purchase black and rare red pieces.

8211458822_9eec45b728_c.jpg

Also my wife allowed me to purchase Mini Modulars for the sales price. Woot!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Today I became an owner of the Fire Brigade.

The assistant said they technically shouldn't use the £5 off with the 10%/20% (I wasn't so lucky to get the latter) off deal but he did it anyway. Just in case anyone else in the UK is going to the Lego Store this weekend, he took the £5 off first.

Bought three figures with an assortment of items including the turkey body which isn't exactly a common piece. With a free pick a brick box and Christmas set and feel chuffed with today's buy even if it is quite a trek to get there. Note my last message was at 11:05 and it's now 14:47.

Now I just have to wait for Christmas to build it as I made a deal to pay 50% and get it as a gift.

----------------

Also it's a really good and informative OP. While it's not an official use of the Brick Separator, you can use it to straight out pieces by sliding the end in between the gaps. This is especially useful when you are tiling 1x1 pieces.

Falch

From the other thread:

Which one? legohuis.nl ?

No, surprisingly Wehkamp.nl, they have 20% off for most of their Lego. Usually they're overpriced, but now they had the best LOTR deals on the web.

Didn't know legohuis yet, they have some pretty good prices. Best prices on the web for Dutch people though is usually hetdeensesteentje.nl. Too bad they only have a small inventory, though they update regularly.

EDIT: ok just ordered loki's cosmic cube + capt avenger motorcycle from legohuis, lol

Awesome OP beautiful!!

Also from http://www.thedailybrick.co.uk/blog/

We have uncovered a list of the upcoming Series 9 Minifigures due to be released at the start of 2013. There are currently no pictures other than a picture of the box, but it is likely some will be revealed soon enough. This series will have silver packaging and have set number 71000.

Alien Trooper
Chicken Suit Guy
Maid Marion
Heroic Knight
Cyclops
Mermaid
Fortune Teller
Dr. Splitz
Roller Derby Girl
Judge
Battle Mech
Caesar
Downtown Cop
Plumber
Waiter
Hollywood Starlet

Unlike previous series, this series appears to have many completely new minifigures, rather then just changed genders.

Also Minifigures series 9 will be silver and series 10 packaging will be gold, maybe the last?

DarkKyo

Woah, the monster fighters look awesome! Please tell me they're actually making them because my dad would love those(big classic monster movie fan).

Cyrillus

I want to grab the Mini-Modulars, the holiday magnet set and enough Series 7 and 8 Mini-figs to get the holiday set, but I also want to eat this week.

Decisions, decisions.

WillyFive

It sucks that Lego sets rarely go on sale in stores unless the box is damaged, and that is few and far inbetween. I bought 4194 for $15 just because the box was dent, despite an un-dented one costing like $70.

5142UMTTcoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

ghostmind

Just got done at the LEGO store. The Kingdoms Joust set is being pushed HARD so I expect it to be OOP by end of the year. It was 20% off, plus I got a 20% scratcher, and I used $15 in VIP bucks, so I got the set, the holiday 2012 set and the PAB box for $60.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
From the other thread:

No, surprisingly Wehkamp.nl, they have 20% off for most of their Lego. Usually they're overpriced, but now they had the best LOTR deals on the web.

Didn't know legohuis yet, they have some pretty good prices. Best prices on the web for Dutch people though is usually hetdeensesteentje.nl. Too bad they only have a small inventory, though they update regularly.

EDIT: ok just ordered loki's cosmic cube + capt avenger motorcycle from legohuis, lol

I usually check hetdeensesteentje.nl, legohuis.nl and brickstore.nl if I want to get a set. They don't do much discount on exclusives, but they're very good with regular sets. It's just that they hardly restock.

I also check http://www.brickset.com/buy/amazon/ for good deals. There's free shipping to NL from amazon.co.uk and amazon.de if you spend over 20 GBP/EUR.

Rootbeer

Banned
OMG i'm on page one of the GAF LEGO thread... never dreamed this would happen :p

Resubbed! Here's to 20,000 more posts.

2013 is going to be an awesome year for LEGO

ghostmind

Anyone know some nice youtube review channels? I'm checking out brickshowtv. Their reviews are quite informative but they have a horrible format, hosts and equipment.

The BrickShow is about the best I have found. Jason usually has it all figured out, while Stephen kind of wings it (especially in his pronunciations of things) in his own unique way.

I do subscribe to a few others, but either they don't produce the volume of content or their personalities just don't click as well.

EDIT: Just watch out for their Hobbit reviews, because Stephen spoils the shit out of things, though he doesn't seem to do so with any malice.

Calm Killer

Is the PAB box only available in store? I really want that, but there is no store near me.

ghostmind

I NEED these! I might just tell my wife to get me a LEGO gift card instead any actual set. Any idea of the MSRPs?

I don't have my reciept with me, but I think the big one was about $80 while the slightly smaller one was about $60.

Also, if you don't know, there will be a second wave later this year with at least 4 more sets (and at least one polybag). I expect a big "base" set of some kind.

I'll second that The Brick Show is the best LEGO news & reviews YouTube channel. Brick Queen is pretty good too, but she's hit & miss in her presentation skills.

I don't have my reciept with me, but I think the big one was about $80 while the slightly smaller one was about $60.

Also, if you don't know, there will be a second wave later this year with at least 4 more sets (and at least one polybag). I expect a big "base" set of some kind.

DEM reseasonable non-licensed prices! YES!

Ghost, if it's not too much to ask, could you please post some detailed pics of the finished Galaxy Squad models?

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Nice OT Bone! Here's to future great LEGO sets! 2013 will be insane!

ghostmind

Ghost, if it's not too much to ask, could you please post some detailed pics of the finished Galaxy Squad models?

Heh, you haven't seen my backlog.

However, since I seem to be one of the few with this theme so far, I'm thinking of pushing it to the front of the line - hopefully I can get at least one set built this weekend, and yes I will post some pics.

Great OP. I really should just let my sub die with the old thread, since I've run out of space to store my Lego. But I'll probably just reorganize and flatten boxes now.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I have the UCS Falcon and Death Star. Unopened. I hope to have a child someday I can build them with.

I also order lots of stuff from Brickarms.

Kryten

Tremendous OP! Just completed *my* Christmas list for this year and knowing that I shouldn't be buying Lego from now until the Boxing Day sales is going to be tough. Of course, there's always my kids to buy for! :)

MjFrancis

Cool OP.

My Lego bricks are so unorganized and the time and inclination to put some stuff together just hasn't been there. But as always I will follow the Lego thread to keep an eye on the deals and people's builds.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Nice new OP! So comfy here! :p

Agreed on the storage section though- there's no definitive way to sort and organise, only the way that feels natural to you, whatever that may be. 10 years as an AFOL and it's taken me a number of different methods before I realised that.

Heh, you haven't seen my backlog.

However, since I seem to be one of the few with this theme so far, I'm thinking of pushing it to the front of the line - hopefully I can get at least one set built this weekend, and yes I will post some pics.

Awesome! If you can find time to the larger piece count of the two sets, I'd greatly appreciate it!

jason10mm

Gold Member
What are the odds we will see reprints of earlier UCS Lego sets (like the massive Falcon or the snow speeder)? With Disney now holding the Star Wars license I wonder if they will push for this to take in the $$$, unless the Lego deal doesn't have any sales money going to Lucasarts, just the licensing fee. I so want some of the earlier UCS sets.

DJ_Lae

The OP is making my wait for my Diagon Alley (and other assorted stuff) unbearable.

Well, even more unbearable.

Top Bottom