• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Someone explain to me what those little black "imps"/animals are supposed to be that come with some of the Mixels?

I don't watch the Mixel show so i have no clue...

mrkgoo

yeah I would also like some sites that do reviews, prefereabbly written reviews since I read them at work

I've had a look around, and the sites I like so far are:

www.brothers-brick.com (just a nice stream of good models)
brickset.com (seems to have a nicely designed site with news and set guides)
www.thebrickfan.com (a bit garish, but seems to be a good homebase for news and has a good list of other lego sites here: http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-related-sites/

That's amazing work, congrats! I've actually just started myself. Can you give me a hint at what the more expensive pieces are? I've read it's the green arches (or maybe I'm confusing that with the red slopes from Cafe Corner).

I just put together a review with pictures here: Putting together Green Grocer

This is specifically what you need to know:

* Blue arched brick (6005) for the awning is about 1€ per piece but you only need 4. I got used ones for a lower price and to avoid making a separate order from the few sellers who had more.
* Dark gray door frames (30179) are very rare and you need 5, but the other version (60596) is functionally the same for a tenth of the cost. You also need one black and two white, and the latter can be found in Seaside House along with plenty of other window pieces you’ll need.
* There are plenty of dark green basic bricks which can be tricky to find but not extremely expensive.
* The decorations around the shop door (2431pb043) are from old Viking sets and most sellers only have a few. The prices range wildly, so plan your purchases well.
* The sand green bricks are a killer, since you need tons of them. You need 41 1×4:s and 50 1×8:s, which make up the bulk of the walls. You can either replace these with another colour (which sort of takes away from the ”Green” Grocer) or you can bite the bullet. Since the 1×8:s cost more than 10 times as much, I went with 141 of the 1×4:s instead. There are slight problems with this: the 1×8:s normally overlap by four studs which makes a solid wall, but if you use 1×4:s they sometimes just stack on top of one another. This can be fixed by shifting some pieces around, but it ultimately looks pretty good anyway. Either way, finding sellers with these quantities isn’t easy and now that the big sources of this part like Haunted House is out of production, it will probably get more expensive until they make it again. Incidentally, the Haunted House WILL cover most of your sand green needs if you use 1×2:s and 1×6:s to substitute for the 1×8:s, although that too is getting expensive.
* The sand green brick with a groove (4216) is kind of rare but not too expensive, and available from several European sellers.
* The white 2×2 panel (4864b) is rare but you only need two. To not have to make a special order, there are several variations that are functionally the same.
* The white 2×3 train window is very rare and those who have a few of these know how to charge for them. I went with light gray ones for now, although I might replace them down the line. Paying 2€ per piece just stings, but they are rather prominent on the front of the building.
* The minifigs are wildly overpriced as sets since they mostly consist of standard pieces. If you break them down, you probably have most pieces already. I skipped them entirely.
* You want to get the kitten (6251px1), even though it’s a little expensive.

Hmmm. Pet Shop is kind of overpriced on S@H, although when I include shipping from a BL seller it comes out to about the same, except that I'll pay an extra €35 for €35 in points. And I'll use those points in June anyway. Hmmm.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Aww, all this enthusiasm for Green Grocer- glad I picked it up at launch all those years ago. Definitely in the upper tier of modulars imo, although hoping to get the restaurant from my other half for my birthday :)

JdpByAH.jpg

Oh, interesting. Thanks for taking Cafe Corner off my list: it's too tall. Green Grocer just barely fits in my shelf arrangement (and the alternative would be to raise the ceiling of my apartment). That said: is Palace Cinema higher than GG? It looks pretty small but that tower might be a problem.

Edit: I would indeed have to neuter the tower quite a bit. Possibly even the spires.

I've had a look around, and the sites I like so far are:

www.brothers-brick.com (just a nice stream of good models)
brickset.com (seems to have a nicely designed site with news and set guides)
www.thebrickfan.com (a bit garish, but seems to be a good homebase for news and has a good list of other lego sites here: http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-related-sites/

Thank you

Soo I went to Toys R Us yesterday to pick up a SteamRoller set and I see a QuinJet sitting on the shelf that was not there a week ago. Box was a bit beat up and it looked like a returned item but I got them to price match it down to 60 bucks after tax so I bought it. Opened up the box and everything in there is perfect condition. Figured this was my only chance to get it at this price so I feel really lucky

Ua3u7Dml.jpg

I just put together a review with pictures here: Putting together Green Grocer

This is specifically what you need to know:

* Blue arched brick (6005) for the awning is about 1€ per piece but you only need 4. I got used ones for a lower price and to avoid making a separate order from the few sellers who had more.
* Dark gray door frames (30179) are very rare and you need 5, but the other version (60596) is functionally the same for a tenth of the cost. You also need one black and two white, and the latter can be found in Seaside House along with plenty of other window pieces you’ll need.
* There are plenty of dark green basic bricks which can be tricky to find but not extremely expensive.
* The decorations around the shop door (2431pb043) are from old Viking sets and most sellers only have a few. The prices range wildly, so plan your purchases well.
* The sand green bricks are a killer, since you need tons of them. You need 41 1×4:s and 50 1×8:s, which make up the bulk of the walls. You can either replace these with another colour (which sort of takes away from the ”Green” Grocer) or you can bite the bullet. Since the 1×8:s cost more than 10 times as much, I went with 141 of the 1×4:s instead. There are slight problems with this: the 1×8:s normally overlap by four studs which makes a solid wall, but if you use 1×4:s they sometimes just stack on top of one another. This can be fixed by shifting some pieces around, but it ultimately looks pretty good anyway. Either way, finding sellers with these quantities isn’t easy and now that the big sources of this part like Haunted House is out of production, it will probably get more expensive until they make it again. Incidentally, the Haunted House WILL cover most of your sand green needs if you use 1×2:s and 1×6:s to substitute for the 1×8:s, although that too is getting expensive.
* The sand green brick with a groove (4216) is kind of rare but not too expensive, and available from several European sellers.
* The white 2×2 panel (4864b) is rare but you only need two. To not have to make a special order, there are several variations that are functionally the same.
* The white 2×3 train window is very rare and those who have a few of these know how to charge for them. I went with light gray ones for now, although I might replace them down the line. Paying 2€ per piece just stings, but they are rather prominent on the front of the building.
* The minifigs are wildly overpriced as sets since they mostly consist of standard pieces. If you break them down, you probably have most pieces already. I skipped them entirely.
* You want to get the kitten (6251px1), even though it’s a little expensive.

Aww, all this enthusiasm for Green Grocer- glad I picked it up at launch all those years ago. Definitely in the upper tier of modulars imo, although hoping to get the restaurant from my other half for my birthday :)

JdpByAH.jpg

I need to go through my collection and figure out exactly what parts I need to order or can replace with similar colors to make Green Grocer. It looks so good.

Thank you

Soo I went to Toys R Us yesterday to pick up a SteamRoller set and I see a QuinJet sitting on the shelf that was not there a week ago. Box was a bit beat up and it looked like a returned item but I got them to price match it down to 60 bucks after tax so I bought it. Opened up the box and everything in there is perfect condition. Figured this was my only chance to get it at this price so I feel really lucky

Ua3u7Dml.jpg

Enjoy. I don't know if your experience with it will be like mine since I went in with ZERO hype and expectation, but Quinjet is one of my favorite sets from the last few years.

Zerojul

Thank you

Awesome deal you got there, nice :)

Ryuuroden

Thank you

Ua3u7Dml.jpg

make sure you check that the bags have the figures in them. There are people out there who can reseal the bags without them looking like they ever have been opened. On that note, LEGO shipped out all the minifigs that were stolen from my Mines of Moria set.

Long day of disassembly and packing things up. Took apart Orthanc and Imperial Shuttle. I forgot how annoying Imperial Shuttle is to take apart. The way the wings are put together and then attached to the body of the ship makes it like a puzzle to disassemble.

make sure you check that the bags have the figures in them. There are people out there who can reseal the bags without them looking like they ever have been opened. On that note, LEGO shipped out all the minifigs that were stolen from my Mines of Moria set.

yep thats one of the things I was worried about. I actually just finished it and everything is perfect

Long day of disassembly and packing things up. Took apart Orthanc and Imperial Shuttle. I forgot how annoying Imperial Shuttle is to take apart. The way the wings are put together and then attached to the body of the ship makes it like a puzzle to disassemble.

You are not completely taking them apart are you? I just broke down the few I had built so they fit better in boxes when I moved.

Ryuuroden

Opened and sorted the 5 thanksgiving seasonal polybags I got last year. Really a nice bang for the buck in LEGO food and crockery as well as I now have 10 brown and white kittens.

You are not completely taking them apart are you? I just broke down the few I had built so they fit better in boxes when I moved.

Yeah, breaking down completely. I have no idea when and where we are moving. Just that it is in a month or three, and depends on where my wife lands a job. I debated about breaking them down into smaller chunks and putting bags over them for moving, but that is still a ton of space to pack. So breaking sets down completely, yet keeping each set separate, is what I am doing.
Broken down so far: UCS B-Wing, Red Five X-Wing, Winter Village Cottage, Orthanc, UCS-R2-D2, UCS Imperial Shuttle.
Still to break down: Ewok Village, Death Star, UCS Super Star Destroyer, VW Camper, Horizon Express, Maersk Train, Modulars (Fire Brigade thru Parisian Restaurant).

Basically, wherever we wind up, I will have a LOT of building to do. It also depends on how much display space I have. But at least I will not be bored.

When I moved last year, I took all my large sets over in my SUV. The rest were all placed into two very large plastic bins. Yeah, I have to rebuild every one of those sets...

Fowler

Yeah, breaking down completely. I have no idea when and where we are moving. Just that it is in a month or three, and depends on where my wife lands a job. I debated about breaking them down into smaller chunks and putting bags over them for moving, but that is still a ton of space to pack. So breaking sets down completely, yet keeping each set separate, is what I am doing.
Broken down so far: UCS B-Wing, Red Five X-Wing, Winter Village Cottage, Orthanc, UCS-R2-D2, UCS Imperial Shuttle.
Still to break down: Ewok Village, Death Star, UCS Super Star Destroyer, VW Camper, Horizon Express, Maersk Train, Modulars (Fire Brigade thru Parisian Restaurant).

Basically, wherever we wind up, I will have a LOT of building to do. It also depends on how much display space I have. But at least I will not be bored.

I just spent a whole lotta time building some of these; I can't bear the thought of taking apart the Death Star only to put it back together again. But I'm thinking about moving to another country.

Maybe I can make the Death Star my carry-on or something. :p

I just spent a whole lotta time building some of these; I can't bear the thought of taking apart the Death Star only to put it back together again. But I'm thinking about moving to another country.

Maybe I can make the Death Star my carry-on or something. :p

No weapons allowed on airplanes. :)

That's great. I'm making my own Taito Station modular MOC at the moment and have tackled my favourite genre: rhythm games. Got IIDX, Taiko no Tatsujin, GFDM and of course DDR all done. Completed a design for a basic candy cab too so ordering parts to have a ton of them. I think my arcade will be dated about 2005/6, the height of arcade gaming in Japan.

DDR Solo, Keyboard Mania and Ridge Racer full version are in progress too. Thinking of how to do justice to Galaxian 3 6 player full cab.

That's great. I'm making my own Taito Station modular MOC at the moment and have tackled my favourite genre: rhythm games. Got IIDX, Taiko no Tatsujin, GFDM and of course DDR all done. Completed a design for a basic candy cab too so ordering parts to have a ton of them. I think my arcade will be dated about 2005/6, the height of arcade gaming in Japan.

DDR Solo, Keyboard Mania and Ridge Racer full version are in progress too. Thinking of how to do justice to Galaxian 3 6 player full cab.

Please post pics of progress! This sounds like MOCs I wanna do.

Ironmask

I've built all my Bday's Lego haul and i wanted to share with you some impressions:

Lego Cusoo 21104 "Nasa Curiosity Rover":
Started as a boring building for the body and then kicked in with DAT wheels' mechanism and all the movable parts (head, arm, radar on the back), it's quite big in the end and takes a lot of my desk space. The effect is really enjoyable and easily recognizable.

Lego Cusoo 21103 "The DeLorean Time Machine":
An advanced building overall, with the problem of having in one hand the "whole car" and in the other the fragile pieces to link (a lot of swears, expecially for the back black reactors.) The building is not really stable and the minifigs doesn't fit too well in the cockpit (i hope the Ghostbuster car won't have this problem), but the result is so gorgeous and the internet images don't do it justice.

Lego Mixels:
Did Lego put some heroin inside the bags? the addictive Mixels are a really smalk but fun building, i've bought them for that game changing joint but i can't decide to take them apart. Every build is unique and "special". You really want to collect them all, and infact i've already bought one of the Rock guys to complete the serie.

Please post pics of progress! This sounds like MOCs I wanna do.

My MOCs are too multi-coloured just now but I put them into MLCad so I could test placement; here are a few examples.

DDR Solo;
In real bricks the 1x6 tile will be moved up a bit.

DDR;
Missing 2 2x2 round tiles, not sure which I will use, to mimic speakers.

IIDX;
Almost finished. Will try to get a better solution for the control panel/coin slot.

To go on the roof;

Zerojul

Guys I'd like to start building modulars with all the awesome pics you post here. Is the Fire Brigade a good place to start ? I can get it for 190€ which is not bad as I think it is out of print and it's getting hard to find... I could get Palace Cinema for half that price but I think it will still be around for a long time. What do you think ?

ghostmind

Guys I'd like to start building modulars with all the awesome pics you post here. Is the Fire Brigade a good place to start ? I can get it for 190€ which is not bad as I think it is out of print and it's getting hard to find... I could get Palace Cinema for half that price but I think it will still be around for a long time. What do you think ?

If you are interested in getting into the modulars, and you can still get the FB at a decent price, then go for it. The rest can wait, as none of them have been announced as going OOP yet, though there have been some rumours about the Town Hall.

My MOCs are too multi-coloured just now but I put them into MLCad so I could test placement; here are a few examples.

DDR Solo;

In real bricks the 1x6 tile will be moved up a bit.

DDR;

Missing 2 2x2 round tiles, not sure which I will use, to mimic speakers.

IIDX;

Almost finished. Will try to get a better solution for the control panel/coin slot.

To go on the roof;

Those look great! And I second the idea of making a guitar game, but for heavens sake make it Guitar Freaks!

As for modulars, Fire Brigade is a neat building but it's not very fun to have around. Fun to build but not much to do with it once finished. From those I've built: Parisian Restaurant -> Green Grocer -> Fire Brigade -> Grand Emporium.

Zerojul

If you are interested in getting into the modulars, and you can still get the FB at a decent price, then go for it. The rest can wait, as none of them have been announced as going OOP yet, though there have been some rumours about the Town Hall.
OK then, I'll consider Town Hall for double VIP next month ;)

theaface

Picked up the red Mixel sets today. They're adorable, and definitely one of the better value low cost Lego lines available. Won't be long before I add the yellow and grey sets, I'm sure.

Those look great! And I second the idea of making a guitar game, but for heavens sake make it Guitar Freaks!

As for modulars, Fire Brigade is a neat building but it's not very fun to have around. Fun to build but not much to do with it once finished. From those I've built: Parisian Restaurant -> Green Grocer -> Fire Brigade -> Grand Emporium.

Thanks, and you are bang on, GF all the way.

Quick MLCad mockup of my MOC. Marquee is just a 1x2 tile as the parts I used are missing in the program but its still WIP so I'll see.

ghostmind

Welp, maybe Parisian Restaurant then... I need to read some reviews before but seeing you enjoyed it is a good sign :)

Town Hall is a dull build, but once it is built it is an impressive center to the modular row.

Palace Cinema is middling - it has some nice touches, a good look, and is a corner, but it breaks with some traditions and has a horrendous auto.

Parisian Restaurant is a return to form for the series, from the designer who started the modular line.

If I were starting over again with the modulars, and I had the funds to do an "emergency buy" of the Town Hall if it suddenly sent OOP, then my next purchase after the Fire Brigade would be the Grand Emporium, then Pet Shop, and continuing chronologically.

If you don't have the Haunted House (technically not a modular), I would slip that in next, or right after the GE.

Top Bottom