• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

the set has just under 500 pieces so that sounds close to what it should be. TRU themselves are selling this set for $54.99 on ebay (and you can't use the 20% off coupon there!) so 51.99 sounds good.

after coupon and tax I think I paid $43 for shredder's lair... you do the math :p

Being TRU (and LEGO store) exclusive, highly doubt it will get cheaper until clearance time. Unless TRU gives us bigger coupons? :p

They could do a 30-40% off coupon. Also they've been mixing and matching Buy-One, Get-One 50% off too. The first time I saw them do it recently it was... I think everything except the Lego Movie sets, and just recently they did it with all Ninjago, Friends, ... I think City, and one other one? Or maybe it excluded Chima, Friends and Duplo? I can't remember. Maybe the second time is was BOGO 40% off, actually.

In any case, there will probably be a chance to get it for more than 20% off at some point in the future. I think that may be the only way I'll buy anymore Lego from TRU since they're so outrageously overpriced.

And if it's a Lego Store exclusive as well, maybe I'll pick it up there instead if I get any kind of employee discount. :3

Edit: Whoops, somehow quoted the wrong person.

Edit 2: A quick Google search reveals employee discounts are around 30%, and there's something called employee appreciation day and the discount goes even higher? :O More searching says it's in October and everything is 50% off O__O Someone else said 50% off day is once a QUARTER? My head is spinning :OOOO

TRU has a coupon book for Spring and it has $10.00 off any LEGO set $40.00 or more. You can't combine offer but should work on any regular price item.

TRU has a coupon book for Spring and it has $10.00 off any LEGO set $40.00 or more. You can't combine offer but should work on any regular price item.

you sure thats the deal? because this is the one I thought I saw in the coupon book. I'm going to try and combine this and the 20% off coupon today for the Steam Roller

7m7nj87.png

By the power of Bricklink

Photos and words just don't do its size justice. It is freaking enormous!

It's also fabulous! Looks great and such fun to build. :D

crappy pictures are crappy, I think this calls for getting my DSLR out of the closet.

Awesome. Dat size! But...

Not to be "that guy" but I think you built it mirrored...

Obin Gam is right. That is mirrored somehow. Weird.

Sith Infiltrator + Farnsworth House

vs.

Arkham Asylum

Gift card burning a hole in my pocket.....

That is tough. Farnsworth House is good, but not THAT good. But the Sith Infiltrator is, and is on the way out the door. Arkham is awesome and all, but I would say go for at least the Sith Infiltrator to snag it before it disappears. You at least have another 6 months or more to get Arkham, while the Sith has disappeared from most places months ago.

You can still find it at MSRP or close? Wow. Snag that. I really wanted that set but it disappeared before I could get it.

But if you wait, there is a new Star Destroyer coming in a few months.

I went with the Infiltrator and Farnsworth. The latter has always been one of my favorite looking LEGO sets since returning to the fold.

Appreciate the tips!

I went with the Infiltrator and Farnsworth. The latter has always been one of my favorite looking LEGO sets since returning to the fold.

Appreciate the tips!

Farnsworth is cool. The fact that you build a micro interior is one of the best parts.

And I just realized that you said Sith Infiltrator and not Sith Interceptor. I have no clue how good the Infiltrator is, but the Interceptor is one of the best sets.

But my original reasoning still stands. The Infiltrator is long gone, so snagging an old set like that is good.

We just finished Green Grocer (apart from one yellow chair I somehow forgot to order). And it was a huge build! I don't think I ever want to buy a used set or mix bags ever again. Just searching for parts took forever. My back isn't thanking me.

I think this deserves a proper review, but I'd recommend that if you ever want to own this, you better start looking. A few of the pieces are getting really, really expensive if they're even possible to track down.

2sMDEqc.jpg

mrkgoo

Sweet Jesus at that Millenium Falcon.

And I have seen it in person too, a shop here has one on display.

It's just so big.

Today I may buy a mixel.

Speaking of mirrored, I generally build my cars with the steering wheel in the right front seat to mimic vehicles here in NZ.

neonglow

I'm already at five Lego sets. I wound up getting Luthor Power Armor, Captain America vs. HYDRA, and Joker's Steam Roller today.

I'm scared, LegoGAF.

I'd make a list off all the sets you want and then figure out when they were released so you know which to get first.

Just set a budget each month and look out for deals. You have a year to get most sets before they go out of print.

rataven

Finally found the Friends Series 4 animals at Target, along with a freshly opened box of Mixels. I'm trying not to go down the road of collecting yet another series, but oooooh was it tempting. They are oddly cute. I'm going to back and buy them all, aren't I?

Zerojul

Relax. If you don't your wallet will tighten up and you won't be able to enjoy. Your LEGO that is.

Lol

And I just realized that you said Sith Infiltrator and not Sith Interceptor. I have no clue how good the Infiltrator is, but the Interceptor is one of the best sets.

But my original reasoning still stands. The Infiltrator is long gone, so snagging an old set like that is good.

I was wondering if the Infiltrator was good. In fact, I wonder what 2011 SW are worth getting now, at a decent price that is. The Podracers ? The frigate ?

Ryuuroden

I finally went to The Lego Store and remembered to bring my free PAB box with me. My haul ended up being 618 1x2 Light Bluish Grey bricks with the inset brick molding on the sides.

98283.png

you sure thats the deal? because this is the one I thought I saw in the coupon book. I'm going to try and combine this and the 20% off coupon today for the Steam Roller

Yes, that's the one, sorry it's not $10 off but $10.00 gift card. You know you are going to turn around and spend it on LEGO anyway! TRU gift card is lame you have to wait 48 hours or something to use it. Also I am pretty sure they don't let you double up on coupon.

Also I notice they up all their Star Wars price from MSRP, I am glad I got most of the set I want during their buy 1 get 1 40% off.

Speaking of new set finally build the Kashyyyk Troopers set and the mini-figures are superb looking.

LEGO Kashyyyk Troopers by antiquegamer, on Flickr

LEGO Kashyyyk Troopers by antiquegamer, on Flickr

Like all the Battle Pack troop builder, the playset part is pretty boring but you get a lot of clear round 4X4 pieces with it.

Damn, I was just at Target and I almost bought that. They look so cool. It'd be cool to get a couple of those sets, have a nice little army and all the blue studs can be turned into water for other projects. Hmmm...

Man, April 1st is going to DESTROY my wallet :(

I finally went to The Lego Store and remembered to bring my free PAB box with me. My haul ended up being 618 1x2 Light Bluish Grey bricks with the inset brick molding on the sides.

98283.png
Whoa! Jackpot! Do they still have those? If you grab a cup of those I can send you a set of equal value. I would love to get a hold of tons of those in any color.

Ponn

Banned
Put Manbat Attack together at work today. Really just got it for the Nightwing fig but I have to say the Batcopter is pretty slick especially for the simple piece count.

Is it awful of me that my first thought was that Man-Bat looks like a cartoonishly evil suicide bomber? Because he does.

Nananananana NIGHTWING!

One coffee to go please, and I only take it black.

Like the landing gear/tires. I haven't seen them before in other sets but maybe others have. Liked the use of the pillar/strut piece for the tail.

Ryuuroden

Whoa! Jackpot! Do they still have those? If you grab a cup of those I can send you a set of equal value. I would love to get a hold of tons of those in any color.

Jackpot I know right? unfortunately that's what a lot of other people thought as well. apparently they had put them out the morning of the day i went there there and when i got there, those 618 were the last of them. They started out the day with 4 boxes of them. If they had a box in back still, I would of purchased a entire box for 70 dollars.

mrkgoo

So I went out shopping and came back with my first Mixel.

The one I thought looked cooled because it actually had poses me fingers, Vulk the red one-eyed mixel.

It is so awesome.

Putting it together, it's just as fun as any other big set, and only cost a few bucks. Comes with 4 of the new ball joints, two each 1x2 and 2x1.

Also came with a cute little Nixel and for the first time I've seen, a spare 1x2 plate. Most spares I see are 1x1 pieces.

So I understand spares are because they easily get lost, but I've also heard that they bag by weight so they pack in extras in case a small piece is missing and their machines didn't realise.

But does that mean a machine will occasionally pack EXTRA pieces? Anyone ever experience that?

Jackpot I know right? unfortunately that's what a lot of other people thought as well. apparently they had put them out the morning of the day i went there there and when i got there, those 618 were the last of them. They started out the day with 4 boxes of them. If they had a box in back still, I would of purchased a entire box for 70 dollars.
Damn. But great haul with that. Very great haul.

Finally found the Friends Series 4 animals at Target, along with a freshly opened box of Mixels. I'm trying not to go down the road of collecting yet another series, but oooooh was it tempting. They are oddly cute. I'm going to back and buy them all, aren't I?

You know you'll regret it if you start collecting the later series and don't have the first series. Some parts are very uncommon in those colors or even unique like that yellow plant used as a hairpiece.

98283.png

Score! I'm very surprised that piece is ending up in the PAB wall. I wonder if they don't plan on using that piece much now that they have the 1x4 bricks with brick molding.

I'll have to keep a keen eye open at my PAB wall.

bndadm

We just finished Green Grocer (apart from one yellow chair I somehow forgot to order). And it was a huge build! I don't think I ever want to buy a used set or mix bags ever again. Just searching for parts took forever. My back isn't thanking me.

I think this deserves a proper review, but I'd recommend that if you ever want to own this, you better start looking. A few of the pieces are getting really, really expensive if they're even possible to track down.

That's amazing work, congrats! I've actually just started myself. Can you give me a hint at what the more expensive pieces are? I've read it's the green arches (or maybe I'm confusing that with the red slopes from Cafe Corner).

A year or two ago I organized all my instructions into an accordion file, but that has started to bulge. So I bought a couple of binders and plastic sleeves to keep things in, and that got full FAST. Like, very few instructions to fill a massive binder. It might be cheaper to buy a filing cabinet to keep this stuff in.

But as I was going through, I stumbled across these:

The wave of nostalgia is so nice. So interesting to see the builds in these and how different things are now. Everything looks so basic and crude in the book, but still has this lovely charm to it. It is also interesting to see pieces in it that I coveted so much as a child (and never got, or only had in small quantities and in different colors) that are no longer made. Going through instructions I also see sets I still have books for but am missing all the major pieces for, like the M-Tron stuff.

Reading through the Jurassic World Concept Art leak thread and it got me wondering

You guys think there'll be Jurassic World Lego sets?

They did do that Universal Legends thing a million years ago for JP3, and they do have all those now-retired Dinosaur Fig moulds they could bring back.

I'd buy them ;__;

neonglow

Reading through the Jurassic World Concept Art leak thread and it got me wondering

You guys think there'll be Jurassic World Lego sets?

They did do that Universal Legends thing a million years ago for JP3, and they do have all those now-retired Dinosaur Fig moulds they could bring back.

I'd buy them ;__;

There will not be Jurassic World LEGO, but you can eventually buy Jurassic World KRE-O. Hasbro managed to get the IP last year.

How much was your out of pocket for the whole thing?

Difficult to say as I stopped writing it down at one point. :p
I would estimate about 700€. was forced to get a few orders from LEGO PaB directly towards the end because some pieces were just not available at BL stores in the amounts I needed.

Bought over almost a two year period mind you. just checking BL every now and then to see if there was a german store that had a lot of pieces that I needed. Postage is a real drag if you only get a few pieces from a seller, drives the ppp up dramatically.

I substituted various pieces for cheaper more readily available pieces without any negative effect on the final product. :)

But man it looks great, wonder how long I will be allowed to keep it on the living room table. xD

Top Bottom