• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Yes I suggested that a new mic contest using the mixels would be a cool idea.

Having just done to yellow MAX model, and about to start the red MAX model, I agree. These things are awesome, cheap, and easy to find.

We need a Mixel contest now. I think same rules as the Brickset one are good.

Dropped by the Lego Store in Pleasanton, CA today and picked up the Hulk Lab Smash. Great price for the minifigs you get in this set! Sadly, they were all out of the Martian Manhunter promo figs.

On a side note, they were sold out of the following movie sets: Melting Room, Cuckoo Palace and Super Cycle Chase. The latter was a surprise. And of course, there weren't anymore Movie CMF packs. The employee there said they weren't getting anymore since the site has been sold out for some time now.

for my son's third birthday, we have decided to upgrade his duplos to legos. among a nifty tree fort and misc items, gotta say this is the crown jewel

ghGs0fz.jpg

need to get gollum and more dwarves. and some elf shit. and another lego table for orthanc and all the baddie lairs :D

Having just done to yellow MAX model, and about to start the red MAX model, I agree. These things are awesome, cheap, and easy to find.

Just bought all three grey/rock(?) mixers thanks to you guys constantly hyping them. They were $5.50 a piece at TRU. How badly have I been ripped off?

My TRU was also resupplied with six cases of TLM CMFs. *Sigh* I pulled another Panda dude and another Taco Tuesday dude. Ugh... I am so bad at feeling out these bags.

secret rob

Neo Member
Just bought all three grey/rock(?) mixers thanks to you guys constantly hyping them. They were $5.50 a piece at TRU. How badly have I been ripped off?

My TRU was also resupplied with six cases of TLM CMFs. *Sigh* I pulled another Panda dude and another Taco Tuesday dude. Ugh... I am so bad at feeling out these bags.

I paid $4.99 at my local Lego store for them, so not too much of a mark up.

I paid $5 at Target for the first three I bought, $5.50 at TRU today. I looked at the tax as being paid for the fact they had the ones I wanted.

Now to get the black rocky ones to finish the set. Series two looks even better.

theaface

So I picked up the VW Camper on a whim today - what a lovely build it is! Love the attention to detail on the interior. Spent about 5 hours putting it together at a relatively relaxed pace.

Trouble is the next set will have to be smaller due to financial constraints and I'm worried it's a tough act to follow!

My pieces came in that I ordered off of BrickLink! He accidentally sent me some longer arm joint pieces than I had asked for, but it would up working out for the better I think?

Also, he accidentally sent me a Swamp Creature minifig with a head, gills, and two sets of legs but no torso. He was really nice about it and offered to mail me the torso right away, but I told him I needed some more parts and just placed another order with him to save him from having to ship it. He told me he'd throw in a second head, gills, and torso for free and I could keep the extra legs since without the legs it's worthless to him. Awesome seller! I got 2 Swamp Creatures for the price of 1. Yay!

So I picked up the VW Camper on a whim today - what a lovely build it is! Love the attention to detail on the interior. Spent about 5 hours putting it together at a relatively relaxed pace.

Trouble is the next set will have to be smaller due to financial constraints and I'm worried it's a tough act to follow!

What price range you looking for? There are plenty of fantastic sets that are less expensive.

wetwired

Yeah, I signed up for the email notification when it came in stock and never got one. Imagine my suprise when I saw it sitting there when I stopped by randomly on my way home from work looking for WWE Slam City figures.

Sadly my wife has a cold and I didn't have time to put it together last night. Hopefully tomorrow...

Yeah, TMNT wave 2 is totally unimpressive. I need to find the Karai bike set, but that's about all I want. There's one other set I might get for the little Kraang ship it come with, but I'm not really feeling any of the main builds.

This Shredder set is top notch though. This is definitely going to be the centerpiece of my TMNT display.

I might just bricklink Karai and the new shredder to be honest, unless there's any other cool minifigs? is there a Casey Jones?

mrkgoo

I actually haven't bought any yet but they look so cool and cheap.

I'm broke and can't really afford Lego, but all the new cheap sets are so good.

The mixel sets seem like really good sets to build some Pikmin without having to brick link....

Anyway, I'm up for a mixel contest for next mic contest if need be.

I would say keep it simple. Any 3 sets.

My first mixel will probably be Vulk because I like the fingers.

But yeah it would be cool to just pick one of these up a week or so and get them all by the time all the waves are out.

I watched a cartoon from the Lego site. Looks like angry birds style trash.

mrkgoo

meanwhile it still hasn't come out in Australia
Or Nz!

And while I don't normally care for spoilers, I have been trying to avoid them for the Lego movie, but all I hear is how we should have seen it already and I managed to catch some. Oh well.

Can't wait until it releases though!

I am travelling overseas next month so maybe I can catch it on the plane by then.

What price range you looking for? There are plenty of fantastic sets that are less expensive.

Good ole PhoncipleBone. Helping a fellow LEGO GAFfer empty his wallet.

I might just bricklink Karai and the new shredder to be honest, unless there's any other cool minifigs? is there a Casey Jones?

Karai comes in the cheapest set with a nice black motorcycle and battle damaged Leonardo. May be worth it to just buy that set.

Ah, but within a certain budget. Just need to know how much he is willing to part with. So, at least I am helping him be frugal in his obsession.

That doesn't make it better. :)

My first two sets haven't arrived yet, but I'm already thinking about other sets in the sub-$30 range. Any recommendations not listed in the OP?

Crizume

Neo Member
Anybody know how to add in a in store purchase to lego VIP account?

Was in a rush and that place was packed and I completely forgot about the card and the cashier didn't even remind me.

Almost $100 purchase since I had to have the Martian Minifig but cant seem to find the option to add it on the website. Is it even possible?

My first two sets haven't arrived yet, but I'm already thinking about other sets in the sub-$30 range. Any recommendations not listed in the OP?

I cannot recommend Lex Luthor Power Armor enough. Tip top set, and under $20 most places to boot. You also get Wonder Woman, Superman, and Luthor in it.

Many on here have raved about Captain America vs. Hydra, another $20 super hero set. I haven't gotten it yet, but will soon. The reactions on here are nothing but high praise.

For Creator, the Forest Animals and Furry Creatures (the monkey and cat sets) are great for only $20 each.

Mixels are only $5 each, and I am having a blast with the little guys.

If you get lucky and find good clearance sales, you might luck into some larger Galaxy Squad sets for under $30.

I cannot recommend Lex Luthor Power Armor enough. Tip top set, and under $20 most places to boot. You also get Wonder Woman, Superman, and Luthor in it.

Many on here have raved about Captain America vs. Hydra, another $20 super hero set. I haven't gotten it yet, but will soon. The reactions on here are nothing but high praise.

For Creator, the Forest Animals and Furry Creatures (the monkey and cat sets) are great for only $20 each.

If you get lucky and find good clearance sales, you might luck into some larger Galaxy Squad sets for under $30.

Thanks, I'll look into those.

Anybody know how to add in a in store purchase to lego VIP account?

Was in a rush and that place was packed and I completely forgot about the card and the cashier didn't even remind me.

Almost $100 purchase since I had to have the Martian Minifig but cant seem to find the option to add it on the website. Is it even possible?

Call the 800 number on the website. I have done it a few times and they are super helpful. You will get your points.

If you can find The Lone Ranger stagecoach, it's a great set with tons of minifigures and horses for $30.

Seconded. And if you find Silver Mine Shootout on clearance (normally $70), grab it. One of the top five last year from both Ghostmind and myself. Such an awesome and surprising set.

mrkgoo

For the record, I didn't like the Cat and mouse creatures set, and I'm a big fan of the creator sets in general.

I do, however, like vehicles a bit more. It also doesn't help that those sets AREN'T the equivalent price here in NZ. for some reason those $20 sets translate to NZ$40.

That said, the Chima animal Legend Beasts are fantastic, and here those US$10 sets translate to NZ$15 (NZ$12 on special), and I think are very cool for that price. You get a cool minifig, and a cool animal.

Ponn

Banned
For the record, I didn't like the Cat and mouse creatures set, and I'm a big fan of the creator sets in general.

BLASPHEMY! You're now in time out. That entire cat face build alone worth it.

Well my $31 second Black Gate set should be here tomorrow. I cant decide to work on that this weekend or the Riddler Chase and Manbat sets. Wish I could find some Mixels. These type of things hit my local Walmarts once then seemingly never restock. Truthfully im much more interested in those later tribe sets shown at toyfair. Especially the Ice tribe and the flyer ones.

Hey, let's talk about sets and themes we don't like!

-Technic anything
-Chima
-Bionicle/Hero Factory things
-Architecture Sets
-Ninjago
-Pretty much every Creator set that isn't minifig scale or is an animal
-Microscale polybags

Basically, I like everything to be minifig scale. Ninjago and Chima are just way too over the top in their designs for me to give them anything more than a glance. The technic stuff is just not my thing, although I appreciate the larger sets for what they are able to achieve through design.

-Technic anything
-Chima
-Architecture Sets
-Ninjago
-Microscale polybags

Basically, I like everything to be minifig scale. Ninjago and Chima are just way too over the top in their designs for me to give them anything more than a glance. The technic stuff is just not my thing, although I appreciate the larger sets for what they are able to achieve through design.

You may not like Ninjago, but this set is fantastic bang for your buck:
70500_alt1.jpg

Two awesome figures, and a sweet lil mech. And all for $10 or less.
It is the only Ninjago set I bought. Well, one of the jets but only because it was normally $30 and marked down to $3, so it was a parts pack.

-Technic anything
-Chima
-Architecture Sets
-Ninjago
-Microscale polybags

Here is my list:
Duplo (but at least they have lots of animals)

-Technic anything
-Chima
-Architecture Sets
-Ninjago
-Microscale polybags

I totally understand the desire for minifig-scale sets.

That having been said I do think that the Architecture sets are gorgeously "primary". Even the simplest sets of the theme do a good job of capturing the spirit of the source material.

Bone is spot on about that tiny Ninjago mech. Only thing I've bought from the theme but it is great.

The only system-brick-based themes I "ignore" are City, Chima & Ninjago. I've bought a few Technic sets including that giant limited 4x4 thing but I don't get the same enjoyment out of building them.

If I'm going to be honest with myself, the theme I like the most is "50% off LEGO".

Alien Conquest: Earth Defense HQ & Alien Mothership
Star Wars: Gold Leader Y Wing & Obi Wan's UCS Starfighter
Galaxy Squad: Hive Crawler
Lone Ranger: Comanche Camp, Calvalry Builder, Silver Mine Shootout
LOTR: Goblin King Battle, some weird Creator board game

I have 0% interest in any of these sets but I bought them in the last several months because I found them cheap. I'm an idiot.

I tolerate Chima but I don't like Duplo one bit. The only times I bought Duplo is because my mom often watches little kids and it helps when they have nice toys to play with.

mrkgoo

-Technic anything
-Chima
-Architecture Sets
-Ninjago
-Microscale polybags

My favourite are vehicles and creator sets, but those chima legend beasts actually pricked my ears up because they're more or less just animals. I mean how can anyone not Kiel the gorilla?

And yeah I bought the car and mouse set, the car face was interesting, but I could've had like 6 or 7 mixels for the same
Price.

The pieces don't seem like there's too much interesting, all 4 legs are the same, the mouse isn't really pose able etc

It was a highly disappointing set compared to the praise most people gave it.

-Technic anything
-Chima
-Architecture Sets
-Ninjago
-Microscale polybags

The weird thing is that Town/City sets always seem under-themed to me. I like less real stuff to be honest.

I like everything minifig scale as well, but mostly not whole themes usually. It's mostly set by set (ie I love very few Chima sets, and like one or two star wars)... but I love LotR/Hobbit, but yes the sets mostly suck :(

I do love original Bionicle though, but everything past the Raahkshi line is shit pretty much. Hero factory is sad compared to how great Bionicle was... then again almost all here hate the Ultrabuild sets, which is entirely understandable.

EDIT:

can anyone give input on this:

Anyone think getting Dol Guldor set now us better than waiting for a further drop? It's been on sale for $51 for a while and dipped to $49 once.

I don't know if I should wait for another drop or grab it now.

mrkgoo

What are some good Lego related sites with reviews of sets?

I normally visit brothers brick, but more for interesting models and not news and reviews.

Is brick fan a good one?

Well it wasn't my favorite build ever, but it's probably the second best TMNT set after Baxter's Robot Rampage. I do love this alternate colored Shredder though. It'll provide a good centerpiece for my TMNT display too.

Well it wasn't my favorite build ever, but it's probably the second best TMNT set after Baxter's Robot Rampage. I do love this alternate colored Shredder though. It'll provide a good centerpiece for my TMNT display too.

That is a sweet Shredder. Since it's a TRU exclusive, I may have to bite with the 20% coupon. I don't see it getting much cheaper than that.

LOL at Lord Gamaninja.

Vyer

I've only bought Ninjago and Chima because of my son, but I have to admit there are some nice sets for cheap. The mech above and Razcal's Glider come to mind.

Zerojul

Thats beside the point.
So much is lost in translation, especially in comedies...

I absolutely, 100% agree with that. I watch everything I can in its subbed version. Worse, there's this trend in my country to choose random celebrities to dub animation movies who are anything but actors (in the case of The LEGO Movie, some annoying r&b/pop singer has made the voiceover for Wildstyle). It horrifies me :(

mrkgoo

Thats beside the point.
So much is lost in translation, especially in comedies...

Well, subtitled movies still need to be translated. Usually, though, it tends to be more faithful. I watched, I think it was a movie in German the other day, and the dubbed dialogue was quite different to the subbed. I have no idea which was more 'faithful', but I tend to think the subs, because you don't have to worry about fitting the dialogue into the same breath as the original.

Also, no lip syncing puts me off.

I prefer to see the original actors actually act.

Top Bottom