• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fowler

BVa7l7L.jpg

This set looks so good. But I must be strong, can't start on modulars or I won't be able to stop.

Oh, and my Force Friday haul? Rey's Speeder, X-Wing. CANNOT WAIT.

I've written a bunch about piecing together old sets through Bricklink, but I've also pimped that guide plenty already. Basically, old modular buildings aren't coming back. They are made partly as favours to collectors and partly to use up inventory or old parts they aren't going to produce anymore. This may have shifted with later buildings which is why Pet Shop endures so long, but it's also why Town Hall was killed off so abruptly - they ran out of some of the parts or didn't see a use for dark orange in other sets anymore.

To release Café Corner or Green Grocer again they'd need to start up production of a number of parts again, which entails keeping inventory of them just to keep one set alive, which costs money. Lego doesn't like doing that, since it almost killed them ten years ago. If, for example, they'd figure out that a mass production would need 1x8 and grooved 1x2 sand greens, oh, and a bunch of train windows and the Viking tiles, then they might go ahead with Green Grocer again. But that's not very likely and hasn't happened so far.

I don't have any specific numbers, but let's say there's a market for 30.000 modulars worldwide. A new modular, which is using up existing parts and designed to coexist with parts being used for the next few years, can sell 30.000 copies and is a brand new exciting product. An old modular, which already sold to 20.000 people, and has 10.000 copies held hostage by scalpers, can only sell to 10.000 if they re-release it, PLUS it wreaks havoc on their production plans, PLUS it's the same old thing for many people. Not a good business proposition.

But yeah, download the instructions from lego.com and find alternative variants of parts if you want to build the first five at this point. And above all, buy the things while they're in production. They will not get cheaper and I hope people have learned by now (especially with Town Hall) that the prices will go ridiculous very soon after they go OOP.

Osahi

The sliding part next to the snooker table is part of a little story going on in the set. It is on the box, but you will get a better explenation watching the designer video (i am on mobile, but you will find it easily on youtube)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
When I did cafe corner I tweaked the roof colour as that was a rare piece. Apart from that it wasn't too expensive to put together

The sliding part next to the snooker table is part of a little story going on in the set. It is on the box, but you will get a better explenation watching the designer video (i am on mobile, but you will find it easily on youtube)

Yeah I've already seen it since I put it together, it's really cool how every part of the building has a part to play in it (except maybe the toilet anyway)

Kito

I only need Homer to complete Simpsons S2 but for the third time I've bought a packet with Hibbert instead. Homer's one of the most common, this should be easy :(

wetwired

I guess I'll just buy 'em if I find em then. Double RRP is bad but some of them are four times what they would have cost when they were released and it's mad =(

Here ya go:

BVa7l7L.jpg

I was pretty disappointed with how compact everything is, the whole sneaking barrels between the pool hall and the barber I couldn't do with my massive hands.

The Detective Office is a good place to put minifigs too. All of the differrent elevations and nooks & crannies allow you to hide some fun details. It's a great building.

wetwired

Sales are going well so far! I haven't recovered my costs yet but I'm well on the way. Tempted to fast track a second batch and also start on a cigarette smoking man. He'd likely be much more limited though as I can't see him being as popular as the agents.

Rootbeer

Banned
Do we know for a fact that TFA LEGO sets are dated Sept 4th or will they be at LEGO stores on Sept 1st?

Especially now that everyone knows what the sets are and look like, I wonder if they will be selling them on the 1st?

I am most likely going to my local LEGO store on the 1st to get the new minifigures. I plan on getting most (if not all) of my TFA LEGO sets on S@H to avoid the trip out there again on the 4th (it takes me almost 90 mins to get there, bleh.) Sure would be nice to just grab some things on the 1st.

wetwired

The Detective Office is a good place to put minifigs too. All of the differrent elevations and nooks & crannies allow you to hide some fun details. It's a great building.

After putting together all the scooby doo sets bar the mummy one this weekend I'm tempted to have the gang move in and take over the Detective's office.

Ok, venting time:

So i am building Town Hall first floor right? Everything is going just FINE and the whole thing is starting to look incredibly classy (from the outside at least) with those beautiful pillars and the croissants and what not when... i hit the sandred or whatever that color is called bricks to top off the walls going up and it turns out that a lot of them are those damn knockoff quality look bricks that have a cheaper and brighter color to them than the rest of the SAME color so it all looks off if you look closely enough >:mad:(

I had the same problem with Pet Shop and a bunch of light blue bricks. It really doesn't bother me as much when it's all one kind of bricks but when they're mixed like that it kinda does suck.

Are ALL sets of the same kind like that or are there actually people out there with Town Halls (and other sets) with the better quality bricks?

TLDR, first world problems concerning brick quality but Lego is all ABOUT details damnit ;P

That is my biggest pet peeve on LEGO quality today. I believe the inconsistent coloring is due to LEGO coloring the ABS plastic themselves to save money. They used to get the ABS granules already colored. I don't know why it's so hard for LEGO to keep the color consistent. Do the "cheap" looking bricks connect as well as the other bricks? I haven't noticed any clutch issues with LEGO bricks.

The color inconsistency is most obvious in yellow and orange bricks. If you check out a PAB bin, you will be able to see the colors where slight variations are noticeable.

Good to know that after 30 years in the Star Wars universe the technology hasn't advanced. Flame throwers? Those better be AI controlled flames or something. Maybe the flames burn midichlorians and rob Jedi of the force.

Love the way they built Rey's Speeder in LEGO form. Dat dark red! At that size, it better be able to do the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs.

I put together the Mystery Mansion today...sooo good. I'm loving this Scooby Doo series. It sucks it's only one run but to be honest it probably doesn't have a lot of potential for future sets. The minifigs, the choice of colours for everything (the purples on the mansion, and green\light blue of the vehicles), the new parts (dat pumpkin head) soo good.

IMG_20150815_133508.jpg

Only thing that is missing is Scrappy Doo, yeah I said it!

giphy.gif

I feel like the whole series is gonna be a fetching high prices in a few years. Especially the Mystery Machine

Scrappy Doo was annoying, but I don't remember hating him when I was watching those as a youth. He can't be hated as much as Jar Jar Binks (and they made him in LEGO form).

Considering how long running the IP has been going I agree prices will be high in aftermarket assuming only one wave. Can't believe LEGO didn't do Peanuts with Snoopy and Charlie Brown.

LOL

Only thing that is missing is Scrappy Doo, yeah I said it!

giphy.gif

I feel like the whole series is gonna be a fetching high prices in a few years. Especially the Mystery Machine

My hope is that in Dimensions 2 they make a Scrappy-Doo figure (along with the rest of the Oz buch, god dammit). They made Slimer and friggin Stay-Puft after all!! There's hope, right??

Toxi

Banned
Good to know that after 30 years in the Star Wars universe the technology hasn't advanced. Flame throwers? Those better be AI controlled flames or something. Maybe the flames burn midichlorians and rob Jedi of the force.
Outside of medical technology (See: Luke's replacement arm vs Anakin's), Star Wars tech didn't progress at all in 20 years. Seems like they've just plateaued somehow.

neonglow

Is it confirmed Scooby is a one-and-done license? Or just speculation?

I'd love to see more in the future.

No new sets are part of the 1st half of 2016 releases. LEGO and WB do have LEGO Scooby Doo animated movies coming out next year so there's a chance something might come out 2nd half of next year.

So after seeing those pics of the Star Wars Constraction wave we're getting next month (or was it october?) i can't help but wonder, will we get a second wave after this one?
I mean don't get me wrong, i will surely get Cody, and probably Grievous who translates REALLY well into this form (I was never a big fan of the character but watching the Clone Wars really made me appreciate him more for being the delightfully evil bastard he is) but i still wonder how awesome a Captain Rex would look in this form and some others as well...
Why DID they go with Cody over Rex anyway? Everyone knows he's the baddest, most awesome Clone Trooper out there ;P

I was pretty disappointed with how compact everything is, the whole sneaking barrels between the pool hall and the barber I couldn't do with my massive hands.

It's a bit fiddly for sure but as a grown man I'm not sure how much I really need that functionality. I like that it's there because I like the story behind it, but I'm never actually going to sit and push barrels between the two places.

wetwired

It's a bit fiddly for sure but as a grown man I'm not sure how much I really need that functionality. I like that it's there because I like the story behind it, but I'm never actually going to sit and push barrels between the two places.

True I wouldn't do it much but I wanted to do it at least once, I threw a tantrum after several attempt and gave up

ghostmind

So after seeing those pics of the Star Wars Constraction wave we're getting next month (or was it october?) i can't help but wonder, will we get a second wave after this one?
I mean don't get me wrong, i will surely get Cody, and probably Grievous who translates REALLY well into this form (I was never a big fan of the character but watching the Clone Wars really made me appreciate him more for being the delightfully evil bastard he is) but i still wonder how awesome a Captain Rex would look in this form and some others as well...
Why DID they go with Cody over Rex anyway? Everyone knows he's the baddest, most awesome Clone Trooper out there ;P

First wave of Constraction is September 1st, but it is leaking out to some stores already.

Second wave, with another 6 figures, is in December/January, and is supposed to mainly feature Force Awakens characters.

Here's my backlog:

5FDF1FC7-99ED-46A9-9676-0D60EF2E89DA.jpg

I was considering building all my Agent sets while doing a 007 marathon, but instead I might build the last Galaxy Squad set and watch Interstellar instead. Or I might try and rebuild Quinjet 1.0 and watch Marvel movies.

My wife and kids are going to my sister in law's place to swim all day, so I have the entire house to myself. Hell, I might just play video games all day, lol.

It's funny how bare bones and straight up lame the UFO Defence Copter is compared to the Ultra Agent's. Night and day.

First wave of Constraction is September 1st, but it is leaking out to some stores already.

Second wave, with another 6 figures, is in December/January, and is supposed to mainly feature Force Awakens characters.

Pretty sure they're october in Europe, at least my Lego store calendar said so i think...

Anyway, so that means definitely NO Captn. Rex then :(

After looking at some old sets and themes online, I have come to the conclusion that Lego needs to revamp and release a new Space Police line. It would bridge the gap in themes between my Galaxy Squad and Alien Conquest sets. If they bump up the quality of alien minifigs to that of the Agents line of villains, there is some great potential there.

After looking at some old sets and themes online, I have come to the conclusion that Lego needs to revamp and release a new Space Police line. It would bridge the gap in themes between my Galaxy Squad and Alien Conquest sets. If they bump up the quality of alien minifigs to that of the Agents line of villains, there is some great potential there.

Relaunch Space Police and Blacktron. Make a new cartoon series out of it too. That way we get sets for both the heroes and the villains.

Here's my backlog:

5FDF1FC7-99ED-46A9-9676-0D60EF2E89DA.jpg

I was considering building all my Agent sets while doing a 007 marathon, but instead I might build the last Galaxy Squad set and watch Interstellar instead. Or I might try and rebuild Quinjet 1.0 and watch Marvel movies.

My wife and kids are going to my sister in law's place to swim all day, so I have the entire house to myself. Hell, I might just play video games all day, lol.

It's funny how bare bones and straight up lame the UFO Defence Copter is compared to the Ultra Agent's. Night and day.

Where's the rest of the photos? :)

neonglow

Do you guys feel the last wave of Ultra Agents sets might go out of production quicker than usual? In the US, only LEGO and Toys R Us are carrying the sets. They're not even being sold in Europe.

Do you guys feel the last wave of Ultra Agents sets might go out of production quicker than usual? In the US, only LEGO and Toys R Us are carrying the sets. They're not even being sold in Europe.

Hmmm...will have to see. I did notice the absence of Ultra Agents Ocean HQ (70173) at LEGO store, Toys R US, and Target the last few times I looked. Not sure if it just sold out quickly or is in short supply at LEGO retail stores.

Best to keep an eye on them on LEGO S@H just in case.

Amiibro

Hopefully the Ferris Wheel shows up on Walmart. Rubbing my hands together waiting for it. Need dat 10% off.

Also does the LEGO S@H site keep pretty accurate info? I have the Jurassic World Ind. Rex set ordered on backorder. It says within a month. Thats the last set I need for that lineup.

Anyone else that, outside of General Grievous and Vader, the new star wars constraction sets are really disappointing and way overpriced? Luke and Obi Wan look really awkward and bad. I guess humans just don't work with CCBS. Jango Fett and Corby are really bare bones and small, similar to Pohatu, but yet they're being sold at $20. I'm probably just getting Grievous and Vader and skipping the rest.

Grimsen

Bought a small Lego set for my son to see if he's into it yet (he's 4), and he's lukewarm on the whole thing so far.

I'm in the process of looking for something for myself though. :)

Got my sights on Ecto 1, the Mystery Machine, the Hulkbuster set of the Ultra Agents Infearno set.

Anyone has thoughts on any of these, or anything else that could be cool in the 40-60$ range?

Toxi

Banned
Anyone else that, outside of General Grievous and Vader, the new star wars constraction sets are really disappointing and way overpriced? Luke and Obi Wan look really awkward and bad. I guess humans just don't work with CCBS. Jango Fett and Corby are really bare bones and small, similar to Pohatu, but yet they're being sold at $20. I'm probably just getting Grievous and Vader and skipping the rest.
Grievous definitely turned out the best. Vader is cool, and I like the First Order Stormtrooper. Obi-Wan honestly looks as good as he could in the CCBS system.

But yeah, I agree. You were comparing them to Pohatu, but Pohatu has a gearbox action feature. I'm guessing part of the high price is the Star Wars brand and part of it is the number of new molds the line received. Each set has a unique head mold, and there are new molds for the lightsaber hilts, shoulder armor, leg armor, and from what I can tell chest armor.

ghostmind

Bought a small Lego set for my son to see if he's into it yet (he's 4), and he's lukewarm on the whole thing so far.

Got my sights on Ecto 1, the Mystery Machine, the Hulkbuster set of the Ultra Agents Infearno set.

Anyone has thoughts on any of these, or anything else that could be cool in the 40-60$ range?

Well the ECTO-1 is somewhat of a rite of passage here at LEGO-GAF, since one of our own designed it!

The Mystery Machine has been getting favourable reviews, and the theme is red-hot right now.

Hulkbuster is the best of the Avengers: AoU sets, many would argue.

And the Infearno set is sleek, and has a great villain.

I could recommend you some Star Wars sets, but once you start down the dark path...

Experien

Finally found time to build the TMNT Lair....quite a cool looking set. Wish there was a tad bit more platform to stand out but it is good.

Also found time to put together Mos Eisley set 2 and add it to set one to make a nice big cantina. I need to do more tweaks but for now it looks not too bad. Will post pics soon when I get them uploaded somewhere.

Ponn

Banned

Those are all solid choices. It really comes down to your preference in themes. This is just the beginning...dun dun dunnnnn.

Man it feels like a long time since a set reveal. D23 would have been a good time to reveal Echo Base.

I almost had a heart attack in Meijer tonight. I swung by to see if the Friends stuff went to 50% off yet on clearance. So I took the Friends Shopping Mall to the price scanner to double check, and the first few attempts didn't show anything on the screen. So, on the third or fourth try, it showed it having a price of $11.20. For a $110 set.

I didn't believe my eyes so I scanned it again, and it showed the regular clearance price of $94. BAH! I did scan it a few more times to double check.

Man, if that set was marked down that cheap I would have been one of those assholes that bought every single copy of it.

Maengun1

No new sets are part of the 1st half of 2016 releases. LEGO and WB do have LEGO Scooby Doo animated movies coming out next year so there's a chance something might come out 2nd half of next year.

Ah, okay.

I really think the Scooby line could have long-term legs. I mean there are so many variations of the show, it's basically been running nonstop since the 60s and the recent Mystery Incorporated series was really popular. Plus everyone seems to be going crazy over this first wave.

There's so many classic villains and settings. I'd love to see a Lego version of this guy

latest

A local shop has a ton of the shopping mall set at "clearance", which is still roughly retail price. I'm hoping that they'll eventually cut their losses and really drop the price. There's some really nice pieces in that set but, being a Friends set, a lot of the parts budget is used for very specific parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom