• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osahi

Sooo... The Force Awakens sets have leaked out in stores. Apparently in Texas.

Check eBay if you want to see some back-of-the-box pictures.

Could only find the Tie, Rey's Speeder and the Snowspeeder (of which we already knew the back of the box). But thanks for the heads up.

I'll place spoilers around my findings for those on blackout.

It confirms the Tie has 2 seats for pilots sitting back to back (the model looks completely symetrical?). But I especially like how Rey's speeder opens up to hold the 'laserstud' ammo. That's going to be a nice set for that price I guess...

Falcon and Rey's Speeder are the first two I'll order. I'll see for the X and Tie when force Friday comes around and I know how much money I can set aside that month (the downside of starting out in self-employment is not knowing when and how much you'll earn some buck)

As of right now, the X-Wing interests me the most but I'll wait and see how the reviews for the other sets will be before I make a purchase or not. Hopefully they are as good as that Sith Interceptor.

Rootbeer

Banned
Winter Toy Shop press release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P_UheN0_bI

LEGO-10249-Winter-Toy-Shop-Creator-High-Resolution-Toysnbricks.jpg

10249 Winter Toy Shop
Ages 12+. 898 pieces.
US $79.99 – CA $99.99 – DE 69.99€ – UK £59.99 – DK 599.00 DKK
*Euro pricing varies by country. Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.

Enjoy the holiday season with the Winter Toy Shop!

Welcome to the Winter Toy Shop! The holiday season has arrived and the toymaker is busy finishing off his latest creations! Outside, children ski and snowboard, and a freshly built snowman sparkles in the light that shines from the toyshop tower. Help decorate the huge tree that stands at the center of the square, play with the curious kitten on the cozy wooden bench or join in with the carolers beneath the ornate streetlamp. This charming set also features a ladder, trees in various sizes, jack-in-the-box, a toy biplane, helicopter, rocket, train, race car, truck, robot, tugboat, teddy bear and a wrapped gift. Have fun building this enchanting winter wonderland! Includes a snowman and 8 minifigures with assorted accessories: a male caroler, female caroler, a woman, 2 men, 2 boys and a girl.
• Includes 8 minifigures with assorted accessories: a male caroler, female caroler, a woman, 2 men, 2 boys and a girl
• Features a toyshop, large Christmas tree with decorations, ladder, bench, ornate streetlight, carrot-nosed snowman and a cat
• Toyshop features a LEGO® light brick, cash register, clock, chair, table, tools and a ladder
• Accessories include a wrapped gift, snowboard, skis, 5 wreaths, 2 sets of strings lights, 2 top hats, 2 carol songbooks and 10 toys, including a jack-in-the-box, a toy biplane, helicopter, rocket, train, race car, truck, robot, tugboat and a teddy bear element
• Also includes trees in various sizes and snow elements
• Light up the toyshop tower with the LEGO® light brick!
• Decorate the Christmas tree!
• Enjoy the holiday season with this fun, festive model!
• Winter Toy Shop measures over 6” (17cm) high, 7” (19cm) wide and 3” (10cm) deep
• Christmas tree measures over 5” (15cm) high, 4” (11cm) wide and 4” (11cm) deep

http://brickset.com/article/16286/winter-village-toy-shop-to-make-a-comeback

Rootbeer

Banned

ghostmind

So it was a re-issue (or slight remix) of the Toy Shop after all. Looks like that lead from a suddenly-resurrected GRogall was a red herring.

Well, that saves me needing to pick up the WV set this year, but is great for all of you who never had the original, which is one of the best of the theme, and was originally a Jamie Berard design.

For those that have the original, here are the two models to compare:

2RRZF0r.jpg

hgCRY89.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
I will be getting it becuase I do not own the previous version. Re-releases or remixes like this are great, but I hate to see them take the slot that could go to an all-new set. Hopefully we get enough winter-themed smaller sets (the leaks indicate we are getting some) to supplement this enough to please everyone.

ghostmind

The Designer Video really rubs me the wrong way, in that the designer is not acknowledging that 99% of this design is Jamie Berard's. He talks about the roof and tree designs being a challenge, when they were already made, with minor modifications being done by him (like more decorations on the tree, and the additional toys).

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I have the original, so its a bit redundant for me- id much rather a new one- but I like the minor changes all the same.

Wonder when/if they'll rerelease Cafe Corner- is this a one-off or maybe the start of a new trend?

Rootbeer

Banned
The Designer Video really rubs me the wrong way, in that the designer is not acknowledging that 99% of this design is Jamie Berard's. He talks about the roof and tree designs being a challenge, when they were already made, with minor modifications being done by him (like more decorations on the tree, and the additional toys).
Yes it is very dubious isn't it... hmm. Maybe there are more build changes than it appears at first glance? I did look carefully at the pics and the brick placements look nearly identical though.

Thanks for posting this. It will come in handy. I've sent it to my wife, who is anxious to test her skills on these latest CMFs.
Welcome and good luck. Hope I can find some packs soon. I don't like going into the LEGO store and trying to find all 16 in one go... since the limit is 16 it's a bit stressful to have to have perfect accuracy. So I'd like to get at least 1 pack (preferably 2 or 3) to boost my odds of getting all the ones I need on Sept 1st.

That said though, this is one series that if I could find a full box I would probably buy it (at msrp, of course), because who doesn't want to army build some monsters? Plus the make easy trade bait or gifts.

Welcome and good luck. Hope I can find some packs soon. I don't like going into the LEGO store and trying to find all 16 in one go... since the limit is 16 it's a bit stressful to have to have perfect accuracy. So I'd like to get at least 1 pack (preferably 2 or 3) to boost my odds of getting all the ones I need on Sept 1st.

We usually just grab 10 random, then try and find our missing ones on another trip. Unless it's my wife when she's solo. Then she tries to feel out all 16. She has done it twice too!

Jimbro72

I, for one, am happy to see this rereleased Toy Shop, as I do not have the original. But I wonder, if this sells well, if this will open the gates for other popular and much sought after retired sets to be rereleased with minor tweaks or improvements.

We already see it all the time in the SW line, with some sets barely being different from previous releases (hello Naboo Starfighter), now we are seeing it in the WV line. Could the modular line be far behind, given how in demand those earlier sets are and could maybe warrant them releasing them, with minor tweaks and a full interior? I'm not holding my breath but this release seems to at least show they may now give it consideration.

ghostmind

LEGO has commented about the Toy Shop reissue on Facebook:

Hi everyone, thanks so much for sharing your feedback about this year's release in the Winter Village series. The Winter Village Toy Shop was a huge hit when it launched as the first set in the series back in 2009. We're excited to announce it's back.

Our designers have made several updates including adding some new printed details, additional bricks and elements along with a new minifigure.This 2015 version offers a great building experience to both those fans who have the original set, and those who may be new to the Winter Village series.

This is not an indication of any future re-release or set updates.

Ryuuroden

Thank god they arnt doing more 're-releases. I much rather get new sets then manufacturing slots taken up by sets I already have. If this means I'll never have a cafe corner, I am perfectly fine with that. It would be far better to just make a new set with an interior etc that would be vastly superior to the original even if it's different design. I would welcome that in fact.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Man, Parisian Restaurant is so good. Just finished Bag(s) 3. I love how the different sections stack together in a more unconventional way than other modulars. Also, that fold-up bed is so brilliant.

Koren

Why? It was a great set. I think it was better than this year's set... although I will be getting it. Unless you mean because it made you buy all the older ones?
Not the older ones which are out of stock, but I definitively want more now, and I'll most probably buy the toy shop...

That wasn't buyer remorse in that I agree, last year set was great.

Ponn

Banned
Oh praise jeebus. I wanted the Toy Shop so bad but the price was outrageous. I bet resellers of the original set are pissed right now.

So it was a re-issue (or slight remix) of the Toy Shop after all. Looks like that lead from a suddenly-resurrected GRogall was a red herring.

Well, that saves me needing to pick up the WV set this year, but is great for all of you who never had the original, which is one of the best of the theme, and was originally a Jamie Berard design.

WOW.

I can't believe they'd just rehash an old entry into the WV series like this. Brutal. Like you said, great for those who don't have it but incredibly unoriginal and disappointing that we won't get a new one this year.

Caveat: I also wish that the original wasn't as expensive as it is. My gripe isn't that I enjoyed having a hard-to-find set, rather that I want the village to keep growing.

On the plus side, this kind of kills my need to by every entry in the series.

Edit: just watched the video. I'm with Ghostmind on the general vibe. The comment on the toys, "I've added a lot more" is irksome. I would WAY have preferred they released this alongside a new entry to kill the aftermarket but still keep adding to the village.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sweet. Looking forward to it. Great re-issue.

jeez this is totally going to lead to me hunting down more of the old ones on the aftermarket. i guess i can finally get around to selling/trading my spare WV bakery to finance that...

Frostburn

I'm super excited to get a shot at a slightly modified Toy Shop, I started buying the sets a bit too late to grab the original at a good price. I've got every other set though and I'm running out of space, once I buy this year's set I'm going to have to figure out how to display them all in the same area as last year I was already going across the entire top of a long 3 shelf bookcase and the entire fireplace mantel in our living room.

neonglow

I'm glad I have another chance to buy the toy shop since I missed out on it the first time. I was planning on bricklinking the original one but not sure if I'll attempt to do that now. It'll depend on how easy it is to convert the new one into the old one.

2RRZF0r.jpg

hgCRY89.jpg

I don't feel too bad that I bought the Toy Shop aftermarket for around $100 seeing the price of the new one is $80.

Re-issue looks better with the slight modifications such as the wreaths. Will be interesting to see how the after-market prices of the original one will be affected. If the original still carries a premium, I'd gladly sell the original and buy the re-issue. None of the difference are significant to me.

EDIT: So next year will be a gingerbread house for sure!

neonglow

I wonder what happened to the rumored sweet/candy shop or whatever. Do you think LEGO ran into production issues with it and this toy shop was a backup set just so they'd have something to sell?

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Toy Shop reissue is simultaneously a disappointment (it was the original Toy Shop that got me out of the dark ages in Xmas 2010 and the Winter Village theme is one of the best IMO) and a relief (I can put the theoretical pennies towards something else).

Ponn

Banned
I wonder what happened to the rumored sweet/candy shop or whatever. Do you think LEGO ran into production issues with it and this toy shop was a backup set just so they'd have something to sell?

I'm thinking maybe the person that started that rumor was going off the still rumored Gingerbread house free winter set that has yet to be revealed. Or was that a sweet shop? Whatever either or they might of confused it to be the Winter Village set. I remember someone posting way earlier the Toy Shop being in a stores computer system so whoever that was got it right.

I'm going to have a lot of skiers now. I need to get some extra white pieces and make a mountain for them to ski down. Maybe make one of those lifts that carry them to the top.

I'm going to have a lot of skiers now. I need to get some extra white pieces and make a mountain for them to ski down. Maybe make one of those lifts that carry them to the top.

(On a serious note, is that set any good? I'm quite tempted because I really like the idea of it but I'm a bit wary of the price considering how many pieces it has.)

Ponn

Banned

(On a serious note, is that set any good? I'm quite tempted because I really like the idea of it but I'm a bit wary of the price considering how many pieces it has.)

eh I think that sets been discussed before. I think its overpriced. I actually may have enough white pieces though between Iron Man's Malibu Mansion and some other stuff like the small igloo from WV Cottage. I could use other bricks to build up the inside and use the white pieces to cover it.

Rootbeer

Banned
Series 14 of CMFs purchased :)

Target had them, my wife felt them out.

Ehhh... still hunting and searching... none hit the San Francisco area yet according to target inventory checker. Maybe thursday... :(

When I look up the barcode or DPCI, stores have like 3 at one store, or 20 at another store... no signs of a new case which would be 60 minimum.

I'm also hitting up a few Walgreens stores that are known to get get minifigs (sometimes before street date). Nothing there either. And of course, checking my local TRU as well.

Well. At least August is finally more than halfway over. So ready for next month. All that Star Wars goodness. Please put me in a coma until Sept 3rd.

Ponn

Banned
Well. At least August is finally more than halfway over. So ready for next month. All that Star Wars goodness. Please put me in a coma until Sept 3rd.

After playing Virtues Last Reward and Danganronpa that may be a bad idea. You never know where you will wake up.

Maengun1

Ooh, I'm happy about the Toy Shop re-do, as I don't have the old one (or any of the Xmas sets before the 2013 market/carousel). I actually hope they do re-release the others, I adore the Cottage from pics and that's the one they retired RIGHT before I got into them :(

Would be nice though if they did a brand new set + a rerelease each year to please everyone.

Amiibro

Man that Ninjago temple looks so so good, I want it...

I don't need another line to collect, I don't need another line to collect. I want this set bad it looks so awesome. I wasn't a fan of the show when it first launched so I kind of dismissed the lineup. I like the old japanese style in a lot of the big sets I might need to get them.

Koren

I don't need another line to collect, I don't need another line to collect. I want this set bad it looks so awesome. I wasn't a fan of the show when it first launched so I kind of dismissed the lineup. I like the old japanese style in a lot of the big sets I might need to get them.
That's exactly my thought since I've read the review on Eurobricks ^_^

I'm not fond of the fact that the back wall is missing, I prefer opening sets like the haunted house. And I definitively don't want to buy two to mod it into a complete tower :/

The latest wave of Ninjago stuff, like the airship, haunted temple, and the new Temple of Airjitzu are so awesome looking. It is just the right balance of classic Japanese architecture and design, but with a supernatural bent to it. I am fighting really, really hard not to just go hog wild on the theme right now.

Don't consider the Temple of Airjitzu a line. Think of it as a UCS one-off. Like the Haunted House, Arkham Asylum, etc.

Something like that will most likely hold it's value if not go higher than MSRP even used. Buy it and sell it later if you change your mind. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom