• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to not get wall E for now after watching the brick show review. I really like posing my sets in interesting ways when I can and I really don't like how the neck falls forward when bending it. I just don't think I'll be satisfied if the only way I can pose his head without it flopping aroind is in a neutral position.

Also, no star wars constraction figures even though the other new stuff was out. Seriously why is there absoltuely nothing on these figures? No listings on websites, can't find them in stores. Are they even coming out this month?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Decided to not get wall E for now after watching the brick show review. I really like posing my sets in interesting ways when I can and I really don't like how the neck falls forward when bending it. I just don't think I'll be satisfied if the only way I can pose his head without it flopping aroind is in a neutral position.

Also, no star wars constraction figures even though the other new stuff was out. Seriously why is there absoltuely nothing on these figures? No listings on websites, can't find them in stores. Are they even coming out this month?

I don't think they are planning to fix that. Maybe you could try modding it yourself, or I'm sure some people will post ideas too. It sounds a little overblown ('major design flaw'. Really?). Lego if it took a long time to get an approved set because of Pixar wanting it to look right. It seems liveable with to me, but I'll get mine this week and see properly

Ryuuroden

Spent over 700 dollars so far on Lego today. Got all the Scooby sets, the Jurassic world ones I could find and a ton of monster cmf. Will post pics later. Also got a second palace cinema since they had it. Rest of purchases wait till October.

Yeah i too, am really starting to wonder about Constraction SW, i am kinda pumped for these now but except for my one sighting of a Luke in that store the other day, nothing at ALL anywhere.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Built Wall-E

The neck problem is unfortunate, and hope it gets fixed. But another problem are the treads. If you're looking for playability, the treads don't have enough grip to move. They'll slide along the table.

For the plus side, it looks great, and when the neck fix comes in, it will look even better. If you keep the neck level, you can pose in any direction. Have it at any angle and it falls to the front or back.

Some great building techniques in the head. All to MOCers will probably love it.

Also, it took me WAY too long to figure out that the 2x1 black plate with the lever on it was supposed to be the cockroach...

yukonrye

Will the current Wall-e set with the gimpy neck be worth anything down the line? Will the fixed sets be distinguishable from the current sets on shelves?

Just wondering if I should buy it now or just wait till later. My local TRU has it in stock.

Fishlake

Built Wall-E

The neck problem is unfortunate, and hope it gets fixed. But another problem are the treads. If you're looking for playability, the treads don't have enough grip to move. They'll slide along the table.

I don't think the tread pieces have ever been very good. I can't think of any sets where I was impressed with them. Try the carpet or some other surface with friction.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why are people assuming they'll fix it? I thought Lego hadn't made any comments other than a couple of pieces in the US sets were causing issues - it is still on sale in Europe.

Built Wall-E

Mixed the bags! :)

As mentioned up top, they function best on surfaces like carpets. It's an unfortunate effect of using hard plastic treads.

70162 Ultra Agents Infearno Interception suffers from that too. They use round bricks for the wheels which does not get any traction.

I might wait until there's a good modification for the neck. I really don't want to have the neck standing up straight, that looks awkward. The only position that's acceptable for me is it bent forwards like it is in the movie, but if the brick show review is anything to go by it falls forwards like that.

willp2003

Had a play around with the limited bits I had, and my Wall-E is a lot more stable. Just need a grey version of the brick with socket. Hopefully these pics aren't huge.

If anyone is interested....
Parts you'll need:
3E17C406-9A95-4154-87B9-0AD3B16A492A_zpsa5csi6hi.jpg

Parts left over:
AB36561E-5A9E-4290-B870-44F1495F025E_zpsmpep0oql.jpg

Construction:
82142183-8429-4CA8-B0B7-D011475DD0D8_zpsomlwd3qw.jpg

94EA8295-83C6-476F-84F6-62F5001FC04E_zpsskoparwe.jpg

Stability:
42F25BB6-2506-4E43-8685-2ED61734F83C_zpsobciqxb7.jpg

Ryuuroden

For double points next month my planned list consists of:

10247: Ferris Wheel $199.99
10248: Ferrari F40 $99.99
42043: Mercedes-Benz Arocs 3245 $229.99
70751: Temple of Airjitzu $199.99
71006: The Simpsons House $199.99
71016: Kwik-E-Mart $199.99
76042: SHIELD Helicarrier $349.99

For the rest of the year after that for all the special holiday sets and so on where you have to buy a certain amount, I will buy

PAB wall stuff
-Lego Dimensions (surely will be sold at the LEGO store) (will only do if I don't see discounts at other places
-70738: Final Flight of Destiny's Bounty
70173: Ultra Agents Ocean HQ
42042: Crawler Crane

Basically anything I don't see being discounted on Amazon.

What do you guys plan to get for double points?

ThisOne

Anybody know if Santa's Workshop will ever be back in stock on S@H? It's been listed as "temporarily out of stock" for months now. I want to snag it but would prefer not to pay double the MSRP on eBay or Amazon.

Toxi

Banned
I'll be getting Wall-E for my dad's birthday; I don't think he'll mind the neck too much since he primarily just wants it for his work desk.

nny

Anybody know if Santa's Workshop will ever be back in stock on S@H? It's been listed as "temporarily out of stock" for months now. I want to snag it but would prefer not to pay double the MSRP on eBay or Amazon.

It may come back back in stock near the holidays; I recall that happening with another Winter Village set before.

Wall-E acquired at TRU. Had some points to use there anyways. Now do I build it or hold it? If it is recalled it might be a collectors item.

Who am I kidding? Of course I'm gonna build it!

It may come back back in stock near the holidays; I recall that happening with another Winter Village set before.

Not like this it hasn't. I have checked almost daily since February and it is flatly unavailable. Luckily someone else in the thread pointed out that it isn't technically a Winter Village set so I feel better about not buying it. I have all the others so I consider this a good excuse to escape.

Not like this it hasn't. I have checked almost daily since February and it is flatly unavailable. Luckily someone else in the thread pointed out that it isn't technically a Winter Village set so I feel better about not buying it. I have all the others so I consider this a good excuse to escape.

The numbering suggests it is part of the Winter Village subtheme. And this: http://brickset.com/sets/theme-Advanced-Models/subtheme-Winter-Village

The Winter Village sets if I recall correctly are always available for 2 Winter seasons.
Once they are sold out for the season they do not restock until next winter. Then it's gone for good.
Until they do something rare such as doing an update version like 10249: Toy Shop
I wait to find the Winter Village sets on clearance (got lucky on this twice) after the holidays, then buy it next winter if I can't get a clearanced one. I did same with Santa's Workshop. That sucker was in high demand. It was never c;learanced and I only had one chance to buy it after the holidays. Someone just returned it, but it was not discounted at all. I will snag that set immediately assuming it is available again this winter.

You can see the availability for each set on S@H on Brickset.

TheFuzz

CMF Series 14 is my favorite yet. Got a few more today. Banshee, Zombie Businessman, Spectre, and Cat lady are my favorites. That being said, only the Frankenstein monster would less than "above average" IMO. My plan is to grab Mystery Mansion during Double VIP, that's likely it for me.

Probably bite on the Winter Toy shop remake, Friends calendar, and the Temple of Airjitsu during double points. Maybe the UCS tie fighter too.

neonglow

For double VIP, I'll be getting the following:

Simpsons House
Winter Village Toy Shop
Seasonal Thanksgiving Set
Wall-E (if the delay continues toward next month)

chidrock

This Friday is Force Friday, right? Any rumors of minifig giveaways at the Lego store? Red-armed C3PO?

I've been holding off on getting the Slave 1 (or Sandcrawler?) for a giveaway...

I just finished Wall-E. I am of two minds on it. Nearly everything about the build and look of the model is absolutely tip top. Just classy, and gorgeous throughout.

And then the head sags. I swapped the dark grey hinge joint piece for a black one, as that has greater tension and I thought it would help hold the head in place, but no. You could literally blow on the head and it would droop in the wrong direction.
How in the world did this not get noticed in QA? It is simply gravity taking hold of the head and dragging it along for the ride.

It is such a shame that something so simple and glaring drags the entire thing down. It looks so wonderful when done, but you cannot pose it or have it set like it should be.

As glad as I am that I got it, I kind of wish I had waited for the revision now to see how they fix it. I have some ideas (besides swapping the hinge joint, which didn't work as well as I thought), but let's see what LEGO comes up with.

Ponn

Banned
Question on power functions. The battery box says it can power multiple motors. If I have the Ferris Wheel next to each other would the wires reach one battery box?

Question on power functions. The battery box says it can power multiple motors. If I have the Ferris Wheel next to each other would the wires reach one battery box?

If not, there are extender cables for the power box as well.

EDIT: Two Ferris Wheels, or Ferris Wheel and Fairground Mixer?

Ponn

Banned
If not, there are extender cables for the power box as well.

EDIT: Two Ferris Wheels, or Ferris Wheel and Fairground Mixer?

Just one Ferris Wheel and mixer. The description says it will power up to 4 M-motors. I didnt know they had extension cables, hmmm I could sneak a carousel in there too with cables

Ryuuroden

CMF Series 14 Haul:

71010: Werewolf - 2
71010: Zombie Pirate - 1
71010: Crazy Scientist - 2
71010: Witch - 1
71010: Plant Monster - 2
71010: Fly Monster - 2
71010: Spectre - 5
71010: Zombie Cheerleader - 3
71010: Tiger Woman (Josie and the Pussycats) - 2
71010: Gargoyle - 1
71010: Skeleton Guy ("The Breaker" Henchmen) - 3
71010: Monster Rocker - 2
71010: Zombie Businessman - 4
71010: Banshee - 4
71010: Bigfoot - 2
71010: Spider Lady - 1

Killer Clowns from Outer Space when?

The Spectre's and particularly the Banshees are awesome.

The numbering suggests it is part of the Winter Village subtheme. And this: http://brickset.com/sets/theme-Advanced-Models/subtheme-Winter-Village

I hear you...but the I'm using the fact that it isn't labelled "Winter Village..." to support my cause. Coupled with the fact that the Toy Shop is being reissued, I'm convincing myself that the Winter Village theme died in 2013 after the Market. Five glorious sets.

As for purchasing plans throughout 2015...

I got a few of the large summer SW sets I wanted today so the remainder of the year will be fairly low key. I play on getting the UCS Tie and the Hellicarrier, as well as the bulk of the big buildable figures and the main TFA sets. I've really tried to scale back this year and haven't even gotten most of the Age of Ultron sets. Desperately trying to ignore them.

I definitely cannot compete with many of the posters here. I've spent about 5k this year, definitely down from last. I ain't no Ryuuroden, snatching up modulars like it ain't no thang.

Parts to remove are on the left. Parts needed to replace are on the right.

Remove the top half of the neck. Remove the 2x2 hinge joint piece and replace with the female ball joint piece.

Use two 2x1 SNOT plates on the side, then reattach the jumper plates and 1x4 tile on top.

On the bottom of the head piece, remove the bottom 1x2 brick with two holes along with the 1x3 technic bricks.
Remove the 1x3 dark grey technic brick through the middle section that normally attached to the neck hinge.

Replace the 1x3 brick with a 1x3 technic plate, using the 2x red technic axle to hold the plate in place, and a technic pin/axle piece to connect to the top part of the head.

Where the 1x2 brick with 2 holes was before, replace it with an angled male ball joint piece, using two 1x3 technic axles threaded through it.

Push the three pieces together, then push down onto the bottom just like the head was assembled before.
There is an ever so tiny gap now as the axle contacts the ball joint. Using a red 2x axle to connect it with a cap on top might help instead.

Connect the male and female ball joints.

Then connect the neck back at the same attach point as before.

The tension in the ball joints allows the head to pose at nearly any angle now and stay stable, and even allows a slight tilt that you couldn't do before.

IronRinn

Man, I really haven't been keeping up with this thread. Had no idea Wall-E was being released now (or soon, maybe, depending on what they are doing in regards to the QC issues).

Ryuuroden

Remove the top half of the neck. Remove the 2x2 hinge joint piece and replace with the female ball joint piece.

Use two 2x1 SNOT plates on the side, then reattach the jumper plates and 1x4 tile on top.

On the bottom of the head piece, remove the bottom 1x2 brick with two holes along with the 1x3 technic bricks.
Remove the 1x3 dark grey technic brick through the middle section that normally attached to the neck hinge.

Replace the 1x3 brick with a 1x3 technic plate, using the 2x red technic axle to hold the plate in place, and a technic pin/axle piece to connect to the top part of the head.

Where the 1x2 brick with 2 holes was before, replace it with an angled male ball joint piece, using two 1x3 technic axles threaded through it.

Push the three pieces together, then push down onto the bottom just like the head was assembled before.
There is an ever so tiny gap now as the axle contacts the ball joint. Using a red 2x axle to connect it with a cap on top might help instead.

Connect the male and female ball joints.

Then connect the neck back at the same attach point as before.

The tension in the ball joints allows the head to pose at nearly any angle now and stay stable, and even allows a slight tilt that you couldn't do before.

Cool, pretty much what I was planning on doing. You should post that on eurobricks.

Excellent work Dr. PhoncipleBone. Seems like most people are using the ball joint as the solution. It will be interesting to see whose solution is closest to LEGO's solution.

Went to the Lego store to see what was what - will obviously go back for Force Friday (please have a Falcon!), but I did grab these two things!

nR7TOgl.jpg

They also had the Parisian restaurant and the Pet shop, but I didnt get either. Super tempted though :)

Looks like the Wall-E fix should be quick! Good work everyone!

I don't think I have the pieces to fix Wall•E. Really awesome that you fixed it, though. Not that it's bad, just a little flimsy. I just finished building the set. It's really awesome.

willp2003

Well done PhoncipleBone. So we've come up with 2 different solutions in a day that Lego couldn't/wouldn't. I think I read that they didn't think a ball joint withstood their testing, but I'm happy to go with it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
PhoncipleBone, could you post what additional parts you need for the fix, so I can check if I have them (and bricklink if not)?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I hear you...but the I'm using the fact that it isn't labelled "Winter Village..." to support my cause. Coupled with the fact that the Toy Shop is being reissued, I'm convincing myself that the Winter Village theme died in 2013 after the Market. Five glorious sets.

I refuse to accept this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom