• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just realised how big Ghostbusters HQ is. It's the third most pieces ever in a LEGO set, 800 pieces bigger than the recently retired Death Star and the biggest LEGO set out on the market currently. Oh man I need somebody to restrain myself from buying so bad right now.

What are the chances of this set being big since it's a VIP exclusive? If it's big I'm hyped!

It will be big if it is an early VIP release. Probably 1500-2000pcs is my guess.

Ponn

Banned
It will be big if it is an early VIP release. Probably 1500-2000pcs is my guess.

Unggh I hope so with all my hopes. I'm also hoping they include just the classic Batmobile and maybe a classic batgirl with classic batcycle and then all of the rest of the pieces go to the batcave. I would prefer with bigger sets like this any vehicles they want to do just sell in cheaper $20 sets so you can choose to have them if you want them and get the entire piece count dedicated to the build.

ghostmind

Star Wars 2016 2H sets (Summer unless noted):

75098 UCS Assault on Hoth (May 4th)
75119 Buildable Figure
75120 Buildable Figure
75121 Buildable Figure
75122 Buildable Figure
75123 Buildable Figure
75124 Buildable Figure
75143 A-Wing Starfighter (Spring)
75144 UCS Snowspeeder (Fall/Winter)
75145 Anakin's Podracer ($45)
75146 2016 Advent Calendar (September) ($40)
75147 TBA ($70)
75148 TBA ($80)
75149 TBA ($100)
75150 Darth Vader's TIE Advanced ($100)
75151 Clone Turbo Tank ($130)
75152 TBA
75153 TBA
75154 TBA
75155 TBA
75156 TBA
75157 Captain Rex's AT-TE Walker ($130)
75158 TBA
75159 UCS Death Star (TBA)

Lots of TBA set numbers - could some of them be for fall, for Rogue One? I'm thinking that at least two of the sets (75147 to 75149) are from The Force Awakens (Encounter on Jakku & Resistance X-Wing Fighter). Also perhaps The Finalizer?

As I sit here working through the UCS Slave I (trying to go through 3 bags/night), I can't help but feel kind of sad that there is no way in hell that I would ever have the LEGO smarts to design something like this.

I get that these are professionals who do this for a living, but I am simply astounded by the time I get to the finished product. The design tricks and interesting building techniques blow my mind. Heck, just the base of this thing is masterful.

I'm still having a great time (as I do with most of my builds), but I can't help but feel pretty inferior as I go through the instructions.

MXRider

75119 Buildable Figure
75120 Buildable Figure
75121 Buildable Figure
75122 Buildable Figure
75123 Buildable Figure
75124 Buildable Figure
What could those be?

C3PO/R2D2
Han Solo
Chewbacca
Boba Fett
Darth Maul
General Hux

kr2t0s

I'm leaning towards skipping the GB HQ entirely. For the price, I am disappointed at how basic the overall package seems. It's a large build with tons of popular culture credit, but I'm not feeling the interior at all and the outside does not look like a fun build. The latest modulars all have tons more personality.

I'm skipping for basically the same reasons. I really like that it swings open but too much of it looks repetitive.

I'll probably save for when more TFA sets come out or something.

Ryuuroden

75119 Buildable Figure
75120 Buildable Figure
75121 Buildable Figure
75122 Buildable Figure
75123 Buildable Figure
75124 Buildable Figure
75147 TBA ($70)
75148 TBA ($80)
75149 TBA ($100)
75152 TBA
75153 TBA
75154 TBA
75155 TBA
75156 TBA
75158 TBA

Lots of TBA set numbers - could some of them be for fall, for Rogue One? I'm thinking that at least two of the sets (75147 to 75149) are from The Force Awakens (Encounter on Jakku & Resistance X-Wing Fighter). Also perhaps The Finalizer?

Sigh, I remember when Darth Vaders Tie Advanced was $40 dollars, lol

Jimbro72

75119 Buildable Figure
75120 Buildable Figure
75121 Buildable Figure
75122 Buildable Figure
75123 Buildable Figure
75124 Buildable Figure
75147 TBA ($70)
75148 TBA ($80)
75149 TBA ($100)
75152 TBA
75153 TBA
75154 TBA
75155 TBA
75156 TBA
75158 TBA

$100 for Vaders TIE Advanced? Seems way too inexpensive to be UCS and way too expensive to just be a system set of his TIE. There better be a lot more in that set for $100 or this SW tax is getting way out of hand.

As I sit here working through the UCS Slave I (trying to go through 3 bags/night), I can't help but feel kind of sad that there is no way in hell that I would ever have the LEGO smarts to design something like this.

I get that these are professionals who do this for a living, but I am simply astounded by the time I get to the finished product. The design tricks and interesting building techniques blow my mind. Heck, just the base of this thing is masterful.

I'm still having a great time (as I do with most of my builds), but I can't help but feel pretty inferior as I go through the instructions.

Just start making your own stuff up. The first batches of things you make will be lacking, but the more you practice, the better you get.
Also, the more sets you put together, the more techniques you learn or refine as you build. It reinforces ideas to use later.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
They're doing another A-Wing already?

$100 for Vaders TIE Advanced? Seems way too inexpensive to be UCS and way too expensive to just be a system set of his TIE. There better be a lot more in that set for $100 or this SW tax is getting way out of hand.

I imagine like the other recent non-UCS vehicle releases that there will be a few rare figures inside. Like the A-Wing coming with Leia and Ackbar.

ghostmind

There is a second build, along with the TIE Advanced, but I don't know what it is yet. Also, I'm thinking it may be Rebels-era, but I have no solid info either way.

They're doing another A-Wing already?

Rebels-era. Also the same with Captain Rex's AT-TE (which I am looking forward to, having watched the Rebels episodes with that vehicle in it).

Jimbro72

There is a second build, along with the TIE Advanced, but I don't know what it is yet. Also, I'm thinking it may be Rebels-era, but I have no solid info either way.

That makes more sense. This is going to be one expensive 2H of 2016 and that is just for SW. Might have to start being even more selective elsewhere to keep things within budget.

Kyari

Marvel Super Heroes 2016 2H set info (via j2g):

76057 Web Warriors Bridge Duel ($100)

76058 Ghost Rider Team-Up ($25)
76059 Doc Ock's Tentacle Trap ($60)
76067 Captain America: Civil War set #4 (name TBA)

*prices are estimated

And I've heard that there will be at least one Doctor Strange set for the fall/winter.

C'mooon Spider-Gwen fig!

75119 Buildable Figure
75120 Buildable Figure
75121 Buildable Figure
75122 Buildable Figure
75123 Buildable Figure
75124 Buildable Figure
75147 TBA ($70)
75148 TBA ($80)
75149 TBA ($100)
75152 TBA
75153 TBA
75154 TBA
75155 TBA
75156 TBA
75158 TBA

UCS Assault on Hoth...so does that come with an AT-AT, snowspeeder and random Hoth turrets?

boltz

Sweet, I'm happy to see the clone turbo tank and AT-TE being released again. The last turbo tank must have been something rare or highly desired because the secondary market prices are crazy for it.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
Damn. I was hoping that's not the case cause I can't find either set :(

The AT-AT has been MIA in my area ever since the TFA sets started coming out. I haven't seen it in any of my Targets, Toysrus, or Lego stores in quite awhile. I guess I was lucky to pick it up a few months back.

I hope you find both of them.

The AT-AT has been MIA in my area ever since the TFA sets started coming out. I haven't seen it in any of my Targets, Toysrus, or Lego stores in quite awhile. I guess I was lucky to pick it up a few months back.

I hope you find both of them.

They were widely available here a few months ago, but seeing as I was transitioning into a new job, I couldn't exactly spend money on Lego sets haha. Now its like 'damn it' lol

neonglow

They were widely available here a few months ago, but seeing as I was transitioning into a new job, I couldn't exactly spend money on Lego sets haha. Now its like 'damn it' lol

I think the AT-AT is now out of print. LEGO stores sold out of them for Black Friday after discounting them by 40%. It was an unadvertised in-store deal.

I'm willing to bet the fourth, mystery Civil War set will have Spider-Man in it and the only reason they delayed its release is to keep him/his costume a secret as long as possible.

I haven't seen Rebels yet, are there major differences between those 2 A-Fighters as far as looks are concerned then?

Also: Bring on Ghost Rider!!!

v4fzbna.jpg

Fowler

Was hoping for a TFA UCS :(

Don't worry, we'll get plenty of those in the years ahead.

That's the great thing about Star Wars. Unlike with other licensed sets, I'm not in a rush to collect EVERYTHING right away, because they'll be making these sets for years to come. I mean, there are new Episode I sets this year!

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I think the AT-AT is now out of print. LEGO stores sold out of them for Black Friday after discounting them by 40%. It was an unadvertised in-store deal.

Yeah, 75055, 75054 and the Snowspeeder are all gone for good.

I'd love for the UCS set to be a micro scale diorama of the attack, with all kinds of vehicles and the cave.

Pixels

Don't worry, we'll get plenty of those in the years ahead.

That's the great thing about Star Wars. Unlike with other licensed sets, I'm not in a rush to collect EVERYTHING right away, because they'll be making these sets for years to come. I mean, there are new Episode I sets this year!

True. On a side note I hope they start phasing out the prequels.

teeny

I second this, the PT ships have never really sat right with me, save for a couple of stand out designs.

What with Rebels, the Anthology films (are they still called that) and the new Episodes, I think there is going to be more than enough content going forwards.

There were some images from Rogue One floating about of new trooper masks which make me very excited for new figs. I love Imperial trooper variants and they looked very cool. I won't post the pic in case people consider it spoilery but here is a link instead.

Fowler

Yeah, 75055, 75054 and the Snowspeeder are all gone for good.

I'd love for the UCS set to be a micro scale diorama of the attack, with all kinds of vehicles and the cave.

YES to this. 100% yes to this.

I'm no fan of the prequels, but I don't mind a few prequel sets here and there to be honest. I get the feeling as the new films roll in, my nostalgia will highlight the odd good things here or there about the prequels and make me want, say, a good Obi-Wan fig or something.

I do agree that most of the ship designs were lacking though.

Osahi

I do agree that most of the ship designs were lacking though.

I don't agree. There are some great designs in the PT imo. I thought about skipping PT sets when I came out of the Dark Ages and started collecting SW stuff, but I caved anyway because some stuff is so cool. Especially the Walkers are great, but also the Naboo Starfighter (I want this one, but it is way overpriced here), the Arc-fighter (they need a new version of this), the Republican destroyers (can't remember the official name), ...

I honestly found TFA a bit lacking in ship designs. Kylo's shuttle is very cool, but the snow speeder and troop transports aren't very good looking imo. I had hoped on some Y- and A-wing variations, and a Walker, but nope (yeah, there is a walker in the background somewhere). I really hope VIII and IX do better, and put my hopes on Rogue One for some cool classic ships in maybe a little different design.

I am curious about the Hoth UCS btw. I'm not going for too expensive sets anymore (going somewhat back to the dark ages, with less purchases and a focus on cheaper stuff because we bought an appartment), but if it is really good I might cave as it was the 2014 AT-AT that convinced me of starting with Star Wars sets. (And I have a little Hoth diorama at the moment)

Eh the Naboo Starfighter is a great looking ship, though they don't need to rehash it soooo many times. I guess the Sith Intercepter was also a slick looking ship but that's about it on PT ships that I thought looked awesome. Would have to rewatch them to see if there were any others that caught my fancy.

teeny

I don't agree. There are some great designs in the PT imo. I thought about skipping PT sets when I came out of the Dark Ages and started collecting SW stuff, but I caved anyway because some stuff is so cool. Especially the Walkers are great, but also the Naboo Starfighter (I want this one, but it is way overpriced here), the Arc-fighter (they need a new version of this), the Republican destroyers (can't remember the official name), ...

I honestly found TFA a bit lacking in ship designs. Kylo's shuttle is very cool, but the snow speeder and troop transports aren't very good looking imo. I had hoped on some Y- and A-wing variations, and a Walker, but nope (yeah, there is a walker in the background somewhere). I really hope VIII and IX do better, and put my hopes on Rogue One for some cool classic ships in maybe a little different design.

I am curious about the Hoth UCS btw. I'm not going for too expensive sets anymore (going somewhat back to the dark ages, with less purchases and a focus on cheaper stuff because we bought an appartment), but if it is really good I might cave as it was the 2014 AT-AT that convinced me of starting with Star Wars sets. (And I have a little Hoth diorama at the moment)

I agree that there were some good designs - I liked the Naboo starfighter but it just did not feel very "Star Warsy" to me, for example. A lot of the PT ships are like that - overly colourful and eschewing the military aesthetic prominent in the OT. That's just my opinion though ;) I'm happy to be able to pass over those sets without much thought.

However, I do agree with you regarding TFA. Kylo's shuttle was very cool indeed - the minute there is a revision with the right colour and wing functions, I'll be there. I'm surprised there were no Y or A wings in TFA or indeed scout walkers or TIE variants on the First Order side - even A New Hope had that level of variety.

With a lot more films coming, though, and an ongoing cartoon series, I suspect there are going to be a lot of new ships. I seriously doubt the designs are going to remain as standard as they were in TFA.

Osahi

I agree that there were some good designs - I liked the Naboo starfighter but it just did not feel very "Star Warsy" to me, for example. A lot of the PT ships are like that - overly colourful and eschewing the military aesthetic prominent in the OT. That's just my opinion though ;) I'm happy to be able to pass over those sets without much thought.

However, I do agree with you regarding TFA. Kylo's shuttle was very cool indeed - the minute there is a revision with the right colour and wing functions, I'll be there. I'm surprised there were no Y or A wings in TFA or indeed scout walkers or TIE variants on the First Order side - even A New Hope had that level of variety.

With a lot more films coming, though, and an ongoing cartoon series, I suspect there are going to be a lot of new ships. I seriously doubt the designs are going to remain as standard as they were in TFA.

I liked how those ships progressed over time to a more military look. Also, the Naboo ships were more of a display of their culture. (I liked how the different factions had a lot of different looking stuff. Naboo's were a bit artsy, the Trade Federation more practical in their designs). And I loved how the clone and jedi ships evolved into stuff you recognised, like the Jedi Starfighters with the Tie domes...

And yeah, going trough the TFA art book you see so much cool designs it is a bit sad J.J. passed on them and kept it safe. I think it is part of the strategy of keeping everything as close as the original trilogy so people who were alienated by the PT had an easy way back in or something.

I just hope Rogue One has at least a Y-Wing, so we can get a new version of that one. I really want one :p

(BTW: i must add Rey's Speeder to the cool ships department!)

willp2003

So no news on a UCS falcon, and I can only assume the Death Star will get pushed into 2017 as we've seen in the last few years.
Was really hoping for a blockade runner (rebels or OT) but there's still hope with those unknown sets.

I'm skipping for basically the same reasons. I really like that it swings open but too much of it looks repetitive.

I'll probably save for when more TFA sets come out or something.

The GB HQ Designer video was pretty telling. There really wasn't anything to show other than the figures.

Looks like I'll be getting all the Marvel and DC sets though!

Fowler

The GB HQ Designer video was pretty telling. There really wasn't anything to show other than the figures.

Looks like I'll be getting all the Marvel and DC sets though!

You're right, you are totally right...

But...

Ghostbusters!!!!!!!!!

(Sadly, that is enough for me!)

teeny

I liked how those ships progressed over time to a more military look. Also, the Naboo ships were more of a display of their culture. (I liked how the different factions had a lot of different looking stuff. Naboo's were a bit artsy, the Trade Federation more practical in their designs). And I loved how the clone and jedi ships evolved into stuff you recognised, like the Jedi Starfighters with the Tie domes...

And yeah, going trough the TFA art book you see so much cool designs it is a bit sad J.J. passed on them and kept it safe. I think it is part of the strategy of keeping everything as close as the original trilogy so people who were alienated by the PT had an easy way back in or something.

I just hope Rogue One has at least a Y-Wing, so we can get a new version of that one. I really want one :p

(BTW: i must add Rey's Speeder to the cool ships department!)

Yeah, I get that outlook and I am glad there is an audience for them, just not my own cup of tea.

I still need to get the art book, but I think you're right on the money regarding playing it safe. Personally, I am hoping for a new Tantive IV - it must appear at least at the end of Rogue One!

Amalthea

Banned
I actually suspect that this was because of Disney themselves. Didn't Abrams have lots of rumored troubles with them over the film? Wouldn't be surprised if the suits forced them to use only well-selling recognizable ships because well, they sell best...

Well.. Now that I own both Poe's X-Wing and the new TIE Fighter, I can turn to 2016 for a new Star Wars set to buy..

And there is nothing else worth buying on the horizon. I was super excited for the Resistance Troop Transport, but then I learned the piece count and price - What the hell??

Just start making your own stuff up. The first batches of things you make will be lacking, but the more you practice, the better you get.
Also, the more sets you put together, the more techniques you learn or refine as you build. It reinforces ideas to use later.

I suppose that means that I will have to keep buying more sets so that I have additional parts, colors, etc. Sorry wallet, we are doing this for the sake of creativity!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom