• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lenovo’s Legion Go handheld gaming PC ($799) specs leaked, QHD+ screen, Oct release

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

• An official document confirms the Lenovo Legion Go rumors we've shared so far
  • The gaming handheld will be unveiled on September 1st, and you can buy it for €799/$799 in October
  • Impressively, the specs sheet details a massive 8.8” QHD+ (2560 x 1600) screen
  • Fast charging, bigger battery and a complete couch-to-go experience makes the Legion Go a worthy choice

image.png

But at least it will have Super Rapid Charge with 65W of fast charging, which means the downtime won’t affect your gaming sessions much.

The Legion Go will also come with 3 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, so triple-A titles won’t be an issue. And the USB 4.0 ports will play a massive role in streaming those games on your TV or gaming monitor.

Legion-Go-display-wr.png

Last edited:

Hugare

This handheld renaissance that we are experiencing recently is awesome

But I'm waiting for something trully portable. A handheld that can fit in your pocket able to run PS2/Gamecube/Wii on the go.

Ayaneo, Deck, Switch and etc. are too chunky to the point that I cant take them with me on the street

Comandr

That resolution is definitely not going to work for newer games at good frame rates. The z1 is pretty fast for a form factor like this but it isn’t a miracle worker.

Also the lack of a physical keyboard is a deal breaker for me these days. Too many situations where a software keyboard just doesn’t cut it, or flat out doesn’t work. Have had my Steam deck’s keyboard straight up die and become unresponsive on both SteamOS and windows through various bugs on their respective OSes. For steamos it was so bad I had to wipe and reinstall.

And when it does work, often times the keyboard itself will manifest and then cover the input field so you have no idea what you’re typing or even if it’s going into the field. A software keyboard should be a last resort on these things unless the system was built around that functionality in mind.

Overall it’s disappointing to see Lenovo chasing trends instead of coming up with a truly unique and compelling, well thought out product. This feels like the Homer car of gaming handhelds.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It should probably be a 1080p screen for performance and battery life. This thing starting at 799 makes it pretty expensive. Good to see more of these though. Steam Deck definitely started something good.

reinking

Gold Member
"The Legion Go will also come with 3 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, so triple-A titles won’t be an issue."

How does including GPU make AAA titles not "an issue"?
That is a weird way to say it. That makes it sound like at the end of the three months I will either need to subscribe to Game Pass or AAA titles will be an issue. It is a Windows based machine, I would hope AAA titles will be available outside of Game Pass.

Topher

Gold Member
That is a weird way to say it. That makes it sound like at the end of the three months I will either need to subscribe to Game Pass or AAA titles will be an issue. It is a Windows based machine, I would hope AAA titles will be available outside of Game Pass.

Yeah.....I don't see AAA titles being an "issue" regardless, much less an issue that GPU solves. Poorly stated.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The cost of this is getting really STUPID to be honest. Choice is good, but this PC handheld is just DUMB.

Zathalus

1600p? For a handheld? Jeez, they could have at least thrown 32GB of ram in there and go with a 1080p screen. Would have made way more sense.

Kenpachii

Way to high resolution
16gb needs to be 32gb
should have dropped the 256gb version, should have added 2tb version.

Feels like a half done effort really.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I like the bigger screen, but 1600p is such a waste here. I would have much rather preferred a 1080p OLED screen, and I don't think I'm the only one.

Specs are decent, but this is also $800

bbeach123

16g ram again ? Trash .

Its understandable with steamdeck because ram price was high back then . But still 16g ram now ?

Gamezone

Gold Member
I don't know. Running games at lower resolution on a 1440p screen usually look worse than 900p on a native 900p screen. And how many games will be able to run at 1440p?

Ozriel

M$FT
That resolution is definitely not going to work for newer games at good frame rates. The z1 is pretty fast for a form factor like this but it isn’t a miracle worker.

Also the lack of a physical keyboard is a deal breaker for me these days. Too many situations where a software keyboard just doesn’t cut it, or flat out doesn’t work. Have had my Steam deck’s keyboard straight up die and become unresponsive on both SteamOS and windows through various bugs on their respective OSes. For steamos it was so bad I had to wipe and reinstall.

And when it does work, often times the keyboard itself will manifest and then cover the input field so you have no idea what you’re typing or even if it’s going into the field. A software keyboard should be a last resort on these things unless the system was built around that functionality in mind.

Overall it’s disappointing to see Lenovo chasing trends instead of coming up with a truly unique and compelling, well thought out product. This feels like the Homer car of gaming handhelds.

Putting a physical keyboard on this and sacrificing battery size or screen size would be the definition of a poorly thought out product.

Luckily, Lenovo seem to be smart enough to make the right choices.

You realize you don’t need to run games at the native resolution? Run demanding games at the Steamdeck’s native resolution and get significantly better performance

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
The cost of this is getting really STUPID to be honest. Choice is good, but this PC handheld is just DUMB.

You can’t be serious. It’s certainly not overpriced at $799, considering the specs.

I like the bigger screen, but 1600p is such a waste here. I would have much rather preferred a 1080p OLED screen, and I don't think I'm the only one.

Specs are decent, but this is also $800
Screen resolution is too high. Games will struggle to run on it at 30fps for sure.

Peg demanding games at the 1280 X 800 resolution of the deck and you’ll get great performance and good battery life.

Soodanim

That is going to be such an awful machine to own unless you want to sit next to a plug at home or carry a generator with you when out and about.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Yeah good luck. It's surprising that there hasn't been a popular affordable entry-level device targeting directly the Switch. Many games play quite well even with that cheap Tegra processor. I don't think I would be willing to pay more than $300-400 for a device like this.

And yet I'm told a PS4 Portable at 10x the volume of units benefiting from economies of scale (and lesser specs in some areas) is impossible at $399 or even $499 🤣

Impressive specs but I’m not sure something heavier than the Steam Deck will be comfortable to use.

Screen resolution is great, you can run less demanding stuff at native resolution and the rest at 1280x800 which will scale nicely.

Good effort overall.

Just do more pushups for arm strength. 2 pounds will feel like paper in your hand in no time.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
It definitely has a nice, big screen. Price is good, but that $799 will probably be for the 256GB model compared to the Ally that’s $699 for 512GB. Looks like it uses 2242 form factor SSD.

Aya Neo is also doing a model with a big-ass screen like this called the “Kun”, but it comes with a high capacity battery(something like 75Wh). Although it will probably come in at a much higher price(~$1200).

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Yeah good luck. It's surprising that there hasn't been a popular affordable entry-level device targeting directly the Switch
ayn odin 2 is an option. arm powered handhelds like that and many of retroids products are much cheaper. theres also like... the steam deck. its 400 dollars, 320 if you are lucky to get a refurbished one

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
im just surprised people are not very positive about this, the ally must have been enough for most if this isnt exciting people.

Klosshufvud

OMG that battery size, WHY?! If you're going with a big handheld, atleast opt for a minimum 60Wh battery. You guys already know I'm a A1 Pro fanboy here but once you get used to that bigger battery life, there is just no going back. 1600p will not be feasible on the TDPs that actually make this a handheld.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
OMG that battery size, WHY?! If you're going with a big handheld, atleast opt for a minimum 60Wh battery. You guys already know I'm a A1 Pro fanboy here but once you get used to that bigger battery life, there is just no going back. 1600p will not be feasible on the TDPs that actually make this a handheld.
all the budget went to the screen and processor lol. the battery is truly awful, if its gonna be so low might as well not put one there

Klosshufvud

all the budget went to the screen and processor lol. the battery is truly awful, if its gonna be so low might as well not put one there
It's just such a baffling decision to me. Like battery life is such an important factor for a handheld. And then they completely ignore a feasible battery while investing hard in ridiculous 144hz 1600p displays that won't even be relevant for most games on it. I sometimes feel like they make these products more on the merits of marketing bullet points rather than actually making a kickass handheld. I do love the fact that the display is big though. Big 16:10 displays are just magic.

I just also saw a preview of the GPD Win Mini and things are getting really exciting on the PC handheld front now. As a complimentary device to what I already own, I'd opt for a device like that.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
im just surprised people are not very positive about this, the ally must have been enough for most if this isnt exciting people.
Only big reason I got excited is it solved the biggest issue with these handheld PCs: windows. Turns out thr deck is awesome all around, but if it used windows it would still be a no-go for me.

I'm not interested in playing games on windows unless I have high specs. A handheld doesn't have that.

Also, windows UI is pretty miserable (especially win 11) without a keyboard and mouse. You can get around it with steams desktop config, but what happens when something isn't working?

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Handhelds are having commitment from pc companies interestingly not Nintendo or Sony. I think gaming is ready for a gameboy.

Larxia

What's the point of 1440p on a screen this size? It will reduce performances and if you need to drop the resolution to 1080p it won't look as good as it would on a native 1080p screen...

Gamezone

Gold Member
I hope this will be a better product than the ROG Ally. They never fixed the deadzones on the Ally (only in desktop mode), never solved the SD card reader issue, but they totally ruined the fan curves in order to compensate for that, but SD cards are still getting ruined, and the firmware support has been laughable.

Comandr

Putting a physical keyboard on this and sacrificing battery size or screen size would be the definition of a poorly thought out product.

Luckily, Lenovo seem to be smart enough to make the right choices.

You realize you don’t need to run games at the native resolution? Run demanding games at the Steamdeck’s native resolution and get significantly better performance
If your chief argument is "well turn down the resolution to get good performance" then they poorly designed the product.

This is what a well thought out handheld device looks like. A native landscape display. This avoids issues with certain older games, and even changing resolution on newer ones. Because the display on some handhelds, like the steamdeck, is a portrait display that's been rotated, messing with exclusive full screen and certain resolutions will just straight up break some games. I'm looking at you Yakuza Ishin.

A solid resolution for that screen size with an understanding of how that affects clarity, battery life, and performance.

Scaling, configurable levels of ram based on your need and price point. As someone with multiple handhelds, I'm telling you flat out, 16GB of shared memory is not enough for a windows based handheld and modern gaming. Certainly not if you are looking to have one of these for a prolonged period. Sure if you are in the market to buy another one of these suckers every year or two, then yeah maybe you can get away with that for now. Good fuckin luck if you ever need to get into the bios for some reason and you don't have access to a keyboard or mouse, or god forbid you have to reinstall windows.

Last edited:
Top Bottom