• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lenovo’s Legion Go handheld gaming PC ($799) specs leaked, QHD+ screen, Oct release

Gamezone

Gold Member
What's the point of 1440p on a screen this size? It will reduce performances and if you need to drop the resolution to 1080p it won't look as good as it would on a native 1080p screen...

You can upscale 720p to 1080p on the Ally with RSR and it doesn't look bad. Not sure how 720p to 1440p will look, but I guess the best scenario will be 1080p to 1440p?

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

If your chief argument is "well turn down the resolution to get good performance" then they poorly designed the product.

This is what a well thought out handheld device looks like. A solid resolution for that screen size with an understanding of how that affects clarity, battery life, and performance. Scaling, configurable levels of ram based on your need and price point. As someone with multiple handhelds, I'm telling you flat out, 16GB of shared memory is not enough for a windows based handheld and modern gaming. Certainly not if you are looking to have one of these for a prolonged period. Sure if you are in the market to buy another one of these suckers every year or two, then yeah maybe you can get away with that for now. Good fuckin luck if you ever need to get into the bios for some reason and you don't have access to a keyboard or mouse, or god forbid you have to reinstall windows.
That GPD Win Mini really looks super comfy and portable too. I absolutely do feel like the small garage-budget manufacturers have a better understanding of handhelds than some of those corporate giants. The display on Win Mini also seems really nice and big for its modest size. However, the trade off is once again battery size. It has a battery size of mere 44Wh, which does limit the excellent 7840U a great deal. Maybe the 7640U model will be ideal if you want low TDP/high battery life combo for a reasonable price?

CobraAB

This handheld renaissance that we are experiencing recently is awesome

But I'm waiting for something trully portable. A handheld that can fit in your pocket able to run PS2/Gamecube/Wii on the go.

Ayaneo, Deck, Switch and etc. are too chunky to the point that I cant take them with me on the street
A Windows based PC handheld is certainly not or you then.. The smaller the screen, the even worse Windows would be.

CobraAB

That GPD Win Mini really looks super comfy and portable too. I absolutely do feel like the small garage-budget manufacturers have a better understanding of handhelds than some of those corporate giants. The display on Win Mini also seems really nice and big for its modest size. However, the trade off is once again battery size. It has a battery size of mere 44Wh, which does limit the excellent 7840U a great deal. Maybe the 7640U model will be ideal if you want low TDP/high battery life combo for a reasonable price?
Rather pricey though.

Comandr

I don't disagree that the battery isn't great. That said, the Legion Go only has a 49Wh battery. And it presumably has to charge the controllers from that as well. Fortunately these processors scale REALLY well, and you'd be amazed the performance you can get even at lower wattages. My Win 4 can play BG3 at 720/30 with a mix of low and high settings at 12 watts.

F9piz2T.jpg

While the 7840 and its cousin the Z1 aren't insanely faster there is a sizeable bump in performance per watt

Klosshufvud

I don't disagree that the battery isn't great. That said, the Legion Go only has a 49Wh battery. And it presumably has to charge the controllers from that as well. Fortunately these processors scale REALLY well, and you'd be amazed the performance you can get even at lower wattages. My Win 4 can play BG3 at 720/30 with a mix of low and high settings at 12 watts.

F9piz2T.jpg

While the 7840 and its cousin the Z1 aren't insanely faster there is a sizeable bump in performance per watt
You just now made me realize why the Lenovo battery is so small - it's those damn detachable controllers lol. I would personally skip those for that 65Wh battery, given how common and cheap BT controllers are anyways.

That's impressive what you can do at 12W. The 7840U does perform well at that TDP but man, the performance jump to 15-18W is just exponential. It's night and day. I run so many games at a 1200p resolution running just fine at 15-18W TDP. The chip is an absolute monster once it gets enough juice to rev up those clock speeds.

Comandr

You just now made me realize why the Lenovo battery is so small - it's those damn detachable controllers lol. I would personally skip those for that 65Wh battery, given how common and cheap BT controllers are anyways.

That's impressive what you can do at 12W. The 7840U does perform well at that TDP but man, the performance jump to 15-18W is just exponential. It's night and day. I run so many games at a 1200p resolution running just fine at 15-18W TDP. The chip is an absolute monster once it gets enough juice to rev up those clock speeds.
I agree that the increase in wattage yields exponentially better performance. This is especially true of BG3 in this example. If you can play at full 28w or plugged in you can easily do 1080p around 45 fps even on this last gen chip.

I’m personally not blown away by the performance jump between these generations. If you don’t already have a handheld, it’s a great time to jump in. The price/performance ratio of these devices is starting to get really good. Particularly since they act as whole ass computers as well. So I have an easier time justifying the purchase over a dedicated gaming device. I have definitely used my win 4 at work several times in a pinch when I needed an extra laptop for a job.

If you already have a steam deck or a recent handheld though, I’d give it another two years or so to see a real defining jump.

Onironauta

And yet I'm told a PS4 Portable at 10x the volume of units benefiting from economies of scale (and lesser specs in some areas) is impossible at $399 or even $499 🤣

Just do more pushups for arm strength. 2 pounds will feel like paper in your hand in no time.the
These devices are using a different architecture compared to PS4.
First, they use slower DDR5 RAM compared to the GDDR5/6 used in PS4/5. Second, they use GPUs with a smaller amount of CUs.
For these reasons I believe they would not be able to emulate PS4 hardware the way PS5 does.
So, you can definitely make a handheld with PS4 level power for this price (if it can be sold at loss), but it won't run PS4 games that were developed for a different hardware configuration, unless all games get patched, which is not realistic.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I was thinking of getting a Steam Deck in the future, but at this point would you say its better to wait for a better/superior device or rather Steam Deck 2?
Steam Deck is only 1 year old at this point and Valve said a new model is years away.

You could wait for a possible smaller future revision, but otherwise you should buy in now if you have any interest. if you're not satisfied with the performance/SteamOS there's always the Rog Ally, AOKZOE A1 pro for your needs

PS for the steam deck just get the 64gb model and a 100 dollar 1tb 2230 ssd saves you moneys

Last edited:
Steam Deck is only 1 year old at this point and Valve said a new model is years away.

You could wait for a possible smaller future revision, but otherwise you should buy in now if you have any interest if you're not satisfied with the performance/SteamOS there's always the Rog Ally, AOKZOE A1 pro for your needs

PS for the steam deck just get the 64gb model and a 100 dollar 1tb 2230 ssd saves you moneys
Meh, I'll wait. I am mostly home anyways, but sometimes get lazy and rather lay in bed and chill, that was the only reason I'd get it really along with the occasional travel here and there.

StereoVsn

"The Legion Go will also come with 3 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, so triple-A titles won’t be an issue."

How does including GPU make AAA titles not "an issue"?
Magic and Unicorn Dust. I am also a bit disappointed they didn't go with vanilla chipset. Judging by Ally that means driver releases will not be quick.

Edit: Wait, lol, 49Wh battery with that size screen AND those controller. Good luck, Lenovo.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You can’t be serious. It’s certainly not overpriced at $799, considering the specs.

I'm not saying it's over priced for what it is. I'm saying it's stupid that a $800 PC handheld exists in the first place. It'll be like having a $600 console in 2006. Just plain dumb.

Ozriel

M$FT
I'm not saying it's over priced for what it is. I'm saying it's stupid that a $800 PC handheld exists in the first place. It'll be like having a $600 console in 2006. Just plain dumb.

Why? we have iPad Pro tablets priced at $800 and nobody flinches.

It’s always about perceived value, and this costs $150 more than the 512gb SteamDeck with visibly better specifications.

The only thing I’m displeased about is the battery size. Not sure what they were thinking pairing that big, high res display with that battery that’s not much bigger than the one in the ROG Ally that’s already struggling.

Best to wait for reviews with this one

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
ayn odin 2 is an option. arm powered handhelds like that and many of retroids products are much cheaper. theres also like... the steam deck. its 400 dollars, 320 if you are lucky to get a refurbished one
Android handheld? No thanks. I have a switch v2. The Lite version is being sold for $200. A device around $150-200 that can connect to Steam and comfortably play indie games would indeed be a great alternative. The price of the Steam Deck isn't bad, but unfortunately, it's not available everywhere in the world.

Ozriel

M$FT
Cheer up, the way Lenovo normally operates in two months this will be $499 canadian with 15% cash back on Rakuten......

They certainly aren’t crazy stingy with discounts!

This close to Black Friday, best to wait. $499 Canadian is a major stretch, but probably up to 20% off

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Android handheld? No thanks. I have a switch v2. The Lite version is being sold for $200. A device around $150-200 that can connect to Steam and comfortably play indie games would indeed be a great alternative. The price of the Steam Deck isn't bad, but unfortunately, it's not available everywhere in the world.
Aya Neo announced a $289 handheld based on AMD Mendocino last year. It’s not out yet and listed as “Coming Soon” on their website.

mckmas8808

Why? we have iPad Pro tablets priced at $800 and nobody flinches.

It’s always about perceived value, and this costs $150 more than the 512gb SteamDeck with visibly better specifications.

The only thing I’m displeased about is the battery size. Not sure what they were thinking pairing that big, high res display with that battery that’s not much bigger than the one in the ROG Ally that’s already struggling.

Best to wait for reviews with this one

The bolded is why I think this device is laughable. And then to sell it for $800 is insane. Just tossing in bigger tech for the sake of it, should never be the point. It's all about balance. This device could have been better balanced at $100 cheaper, but they want to win the checkboxes game so....

Klosshufvud

The PS3 was unironically the best valued console for its time and some of these handhelds have insane value considering how much laptops with similar chipsets costs. I'd rather spend $800 on a device that allows instant access to my already purchased library rather than spend $300 and then be forced to buy every game at $60-70 with paid online subscriptions and underwhelming specs. There really are no cheap gaming alternatives out there. Everything is expensive if you're looking to play at above casual level. The question is are you willing to take the cost up front or through overpaid games, subs and poor specs?

Edit: Actually I'll add Steam Deck is truly the only budget option out there now. Especially the refurbished kind. But Steam Deck is far from a premium handheld.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Aya Neo announced a $289 handheld based on AMD Mendocino last year. It’s not out yet and listed as “Coming Soon” on their website.
When I search on Google, its name appears as Aya Neo Air Plus. That price was announced last year, but this year I saw it for a minimum of $550. On their official website, I saw an amd version for $970.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
When I search on Google, its name appears as Aya Neo Air Plus. That price was announced last year, but this year I saw it for a minimum of $550. On their official website, I saw an amd version for $970.

They rebranded it.

No OLED no buy, also 1440p? Poor battery...

They shouldve made a 32gb ram version
Also 144hz? Poor battery... Screen is still nice but you are paying for features not so applicable in restrictions of a handheld IMO. 720p OLED will provide better contrast, better battery life, better performance and probably a better price but at lower resolution. But people will decide.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

The PS3 was unironically the best valued console for its time and some of these handhelds have insane value considering how much laptops with similar chipsets costs. I'd rather spend $800 on a device that allows instant access to my already purchased library rather than spend $300 and then be forced to buy every game at $60-70 with paid online subscriptions and underwhelming specs. There really are no cheap gaming alternatives out there. Everything is expensive if you're looking to play at above casual level. The question is are you willing to take the cost up front or through overpaid games, subs and poor specs?

Edit: Actually I'll add Steam Deck is truly the only budget option out there now. Especially the refurbished kind. But Steam Deck is far from a premium handheld.

Yes, value is good if you are looking at selling products in low volumes. You can't do that if you want to sell at massive scale.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You know what the mouse functionally is actually very very cool. But wow this is a very unwieldly beast at 8.8 inch screen.
the mouse functionality shocked me and to be fair it does seem like a really useful gimmick. the issue is if it'll always be a good thing for every surface you're on, and if it'll be worth if over the Steam Deck's touchpads and gyro. Yeah it might have more accuracy since it's literally a weirdly shaped mouse, but you also lose a bit of portability having to take some device out in order to properly play FPS and RTS.

The size to me does not matter as much, it's humungous and even bigger than the deck sure, but even with the deck and its size the case negated a lot of that issue, so if this has one in the box too we'll be fine.

Last edited:

amigastar

GPD Win set a trend here. Nintendo never made a Handheld PC.
Are you kiddin me? Steam Deck is an obvious copy of the Switch besides that it is a Handheld PC. Display in the middle, joysticks on the left and right. The design and layout are reminiscent to the Switch.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Are you kiddin me? Steam Deck is an obvious copy of the Switch besides that it is a Handheld PC. Display in the middle, joysticks on the left and right. The design and layout are reminiscent to the Switch.
Not sure if sarcasm or not.

If not, Switch not only is not the first to have screen in the middle of joysticks as GPD Win came before the Switch.

amigastar

Not sure if sarcasm or not.

If not, Switch not only is not the first to have screen in the middle of joysticks as GPD Win came before the Switch.
Yeah, but how many know of the GPS Win? Switch made it popular. Tablets were also already existing when Apple made the IPad but it's the one which people think of when it comes to tablets.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

the mouse functionality shocked me and to be fair it does seem like a really useful gimmick. the issue is if it'll always be a good thing for every surface you're on, and if it'll be worth if over the Steam Deck's touchpads and gyro. Yeah it might have more accuracy since it's literally a weirdly shaped mouse, but you also lose a bit of portability having to take some device out in order to properly play FPS and RTS.

The size to me does not matter as much, it's humungous and even bigger than the deck sure, but even with the deck and its size the case negated a lot of that issue, so if this has one in the box too we'll be fine.

One of the controllers does have a trackpad no?

Klosshufvud

Not impressed at all. It has a lot of gimmick features and if you don't care about competitive FPS or table mode, its entire appeal just falls apart. I still think the display is just a resource hog and battery size is way too little given its Steam Deck plus size. Very odd construction that tries to be everything at once. SD trackpads already solved the FPS issue so this detachable mouse mode is just weird. For a 7840U handheld, the asking price in USD seems fair though.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

It does but I'm Moreso asking if it's really worth using over that track pad and the (presumed) gyro the system will have
The GO trackpad seems to be just a generic laptop trackpad. This isn't really comparable to the Deck's excellent tactile feedback track pads. I'm guessing Deck trackpads also work so well due to the fact that Valve has controller influence at an OS level. I doubt the GO track pads can be used for gaming.

Top Bottom