• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lenovo’s Legion Go handheld gaming PC ($799) specs leaked, QHD+ screen, Oct release

Topher

Gold Member
Notes I took watching the video as far as advantages over my Rog Ally other than the screen.

Hall based thumb sticks

2 USB4 ports

Faster memory

2280 m.2 SSD He's wrong there. The SSD is a 2242, not 2280

UI better organized than Armoury Crate (not hard to do)

Legion game store? Eh.....not sure I like the UI muddied up with another store that no one will use.

Overall, I'm impressed. I'm going to preorder it and compare it to my Rog Ally side by side. If I like Legion Go better, I'll put the Ally on ebay.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
The battery itself is fine but the 1600p screen will surely drain it quite a lot. ROG Ally goes for 1080p which is far easier to power (though that doesn't make that battery life any less abysmal)

Thankfully it looks like the builtin Lenovo software makes it easy to adjust the resolution down to conserve battery. I do the same thing on my Ally. In either case, if you are planning on gaming on battery for more than an hour it would probably be good to have a battery pack near by.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If your chief argument is "well turn down the resolution to get good performance" then they poorly designed the product.

This is what a well thought out handheld device looks like. A native landscape display. This avoids issues with certain older games, and even changing resolution on newer ones. Because the display on some handhelds, like the steamdeck, is a portrait display that's been rotated, messing with exclusive full screen and certain resolutions will just straight up break some games. I'm looking at you Yakuza Ishin.

A solid resolution for that screen size with an understanding of how that affects clarity, battery life, and performance.

Scaling, configurable levels of ram based on your need and price point. As someone with multiple handhelds, I'm telling you flat out, 16GB of shared memory is not enough for a windows based handheld and modern gaming. Certainly not if you are looking to have one of these for a prolonged period. Sure if you are in the market to buy another one of these suckers every year or two, then yeah maybe you can get away with that for now. Good fuckin luck if you ever need to get into the bios for some reason and you don't have access to a keyboard or mouse, or god forbid you have to reinstall windows.
I'd also like to address this...

1. I think that the keyboard takes up space that could instead be used for controls. It reflects in how tiny and cramped the controls on the device look. Do remember at the end of the day that these are gaming portable systems and not laptops (though this looks like a very good mini laptop) While i do get that you really apprecaite a physical keyboard on the device, these systems are for PC gamers. It already has a USB-C port for keyboards. If you don't have a keyboard laying around the house, there's a good, 70% chance you're not the target audience.

2. The most "solid" resolution for any handheld below 8'' in screen size is 800p/720p. It looks good on Steam Deck and Switch (for the few games that run at full res on the latter). If you can go low you should 100% do it. Especially considering the small battery on this thing.

3. Again on the controls, the joystick positioning looks wack. The Wii U style positioning emphasizing joysticks doesn't work well for anything besides shooters and those buttons look quite too small. There are no back buttons.

The configurable choices on the site are good but they aren't a new concept as Valve did this already with storage and screen on the deck as well as Asus with the ROG Ally's processor. 16 gigs of ram isn't the most, yes but these handhelds already struggle with games like Alan Wake 2 and Midfield, let's leave the futureproofing to the desktops.

Ayaneo in their endless quest to make the most handhelds on planet earth actually put out (Well, it got leaked and it hasn't released yet. I think it will be coming out in 2024.) similar designed handheld, the Ayaneo flip.
I like the design of it much more than GPD's efforts, though it's still not perfect.
Keyboard is optional and can be replaced with a second screen for say, Emulating DS, 3DS or Wii U games. Control scheme has far more room to breathe and is positioned better. System in general looks cleaner and more ergonomic. I wish the controls were in more of a V shape than straight up and down and i wish there was a lower spec model with an OLED 800p screen, but I think i perfer this more.

aya-flip-2-jpg.400052

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I'd also like to address this...

1. I think that the keyboard takes up space that could instead be used for controls. It reflects in how tiny and shitty the controls on the device look. Do remember at the end of the day that these are gaming portable systems and not laptops (though this looks like a very good mini laptop) While i do get that you really apprecaite a physical keyboard on the device, these systems are for PC gamers. It already has a USB-C port for keyboards. If you don't have a keyboard laying around the house, there's a good, 70% chance you're not the target audience.

2. The most "solid" resolution for any handheld below 8'' in screen size is 800p/720p. It looks good on Steam Deck and Switch (for the few games that run at full res on the latter). If you can go low you should 100% do it. Especially considering the small battery on this thing.

3. Again on the controls, the joystick positioning looks wack. The Wii U style positioning emphasizing joysticks doesn't work well for anything besides shooters and those buttons look quite too small. There are no back buttons.

The configurable choices on the site are good but they aren't a new concept as Valve did this already with storage and screen on the deck as well as Asus with the ROG Ally's processor. 16 gigs of ram isn't the most, yes but these handhelds already struggle with games like Alan Wake 2 and Midfield, let's leave the futureproofing to the desktops.

Ayaneo in their endless quest to make the most handhelds on planet earth actually put out (Well, it got leaked and it hasn't released yet. I think it will be coming out in 2024.) similar designed handheld, the Ayaneo flip.
I like the design of it much more than GPD's efforts, though it's still not perfect.
Keyboard is optional and can be replaced with a second screen for say, Emulating DS, 3DS or Wii U games. Control scheme has far more room to breathe and is positioned better. System in general looks cleaner and more ergonomic. I wish the controls were in more of a V shape than straight up and down and i wish there was a lower spec model with an OLED 800p screen, but I think i perfer this more.

aya-flip-2-jpg.400052

A faux 3ds with bigger and better screens, me want

Topher

Gold Member
Legion Go launches in two days and yet I've only seen that one review from ETA Prime that Davevil Davevil posted. What's up with that?

Folks are resorting to doing reviews using other reviews....

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Review embargo is 31st.. they want to ensure patches hit before the reviews do since the preview builds were missing stuff or broken

Ah....that makes sense. Hopefully the software ain't coming in too hot. I should be getting the Go on release day so I'll report back once I get it and all the updates are applied.

j0hnnix

If this goes well. Debating selling the steam deck 512, but I said that with the Ally and still have my Steam Deck. Will wait for others reviews.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
This handheld renaissance that we are experiencing recently is awesome

But I'm waiting for something trully portable. A handheld that can fit in your pocket able to run PS2/Gamecube/Wii on the go.

Ayaneo, Deck, Switch and etc. are too chunky to the point that I cant take them with me on the street
Any modern Top o Range smartphone will play all that no problems and with iPhone hell you can even play resi evil village ffs

Legion Go launches in two days and yet I've only seen that one review from ETA Prime that Davevil Davevil posted. What's up with that?

ETA Prime doesn't really do reviews. He talks about specs, features and mostly how emulation runs. His videos are much more about tinkering with tech then reviewing it. Not to mention the review embargo ends on the 31st.

Last edited:
Stronger hardware or not, unless they have that kind of official and community support that the SteamDeck has, be it the os or things such as custom controller profiles, I see no reason to switch, not with this pricetag especially.

That being said, more competition is always welcome and hey, Im more than open for Asus to prove me and others wrong.

Darko

Just sold my modded switch and steam deck 2tb to buy this .. my body is ready.

No reviews yet though.. I really want this thing to have gyro

Klosshufvud

Yeah I don't think EtaPrime was doing a review. More like a preview due to unfinished software. His actual reviews are pretty lacking IMO.
Happy with my Ally, best handheld ever.
The Lenovo Legion Go really is a sidegrade to the ROG Ally. Both have their own specific strengths, but one does not make the other redundant. The 7840U/Z1 handhelds really are awesome beastly machines. Can't go wrong with them. It really is a paradigm shift to gaming being able to game with so much processing power in handheld form.

Last edited:

Hugare

Any modern Top o Range smartphone will play all that no problems and with iPhone hell you can even play resi evil village ffs
Dont want to buy a phone to play games

And I also dont want to pay more than $200

Some handhelds are almost reaching the perfect spot of PS2/GC/Gamecube/Wii for $200

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Does the legion go have vrr? That's a deal breaker for me. I got to play it at a recent event and it's huge. But, I was playing fall guys and I could see and feel the frame drops that got me concerned about vrr.

The rog ally, having vrr is amazing.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Does the legion go have vrr? That's a deal breaker for me. I got to play it at a recent event and it's huge. But, I was playing fall guys and I could see and feel the frame drops that got me concerned about vrr.

The rog ally, having vrr is amazing.

Negatives vs Ally are....

1) No VRR
2) Sound/speakers not nearly as good
3) Software may not be where it needs to be

Pro vs Ally....

1) Bigger screen
2) Detachable controls
3) Second USB C port
4) Hall effect thumbsticks

Probably others I'm not thinking about.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

1) No VRR

Pro vs Ally....

1) Bigger screen
2) Detachable controls
3) Second USB C port

Yeah, it's a no go for me without vrr.

The controllers detaching and being able to use the right one as like a mouse was pretty cool to get hands on with. The screen does look great but the device is massive. The stuttering while playing fall guys made mw definitely feel like I'm more than happy with my Ally.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm actually thinking about getting one of these and upgrading from a steam deck. Not really insisting on certain features like variable refresh, I'll be at nice, I just won the best performer with at least around the same battery life as a steam deck. Deck. Doesn't need to be a bigger screen. This is not as the fidelity and the ability to play more games is there.

Klosshufvud

The controllers detaching and being able to use the right one as like a mouse was pretty cool to get hands on with. The screen does look great but the device is massive. The stuttering while playing fall guys made mw definitely feel like I'm more than happy with my Ally.
Yeah its size is definitely a negative for me too. There comes a point where a handheld stops feeling like a handheld and more like a tablet. VRR is obviously also a big win for Ally considering most modern games are in the 40-60 fps range. I absolutely feel like the battery should have been way bigger given its size. But maybe detachable controllers imposed restrictions on interiors. It's going to be interesting to see what niche GO finds that Ally/Deck haven't already. I will say though, going from 7' to 8' display makes a huge difference in immersion and detail.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Stronger hardware or not, unless they have that kind of official and community support that the SteamDeck has, be it the os or things such as custom controller profiles, I see no reason to switch, not with this pricetag especially.

That being said, more competition is always welcome and hey, Im more than open for Asus to prove me and others wrong.
It doesn’t need steam deck level of users it’s windows and it’s able to do anything wi does can already no need to do work around to play stuff!

Dorfdad

Gold Member

You have been playing with no VRR for probably many many years and now! The games will be just as good as before! Does it suck yeah, but I’m. It missing out on the best hand held gaming system over vrr.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

Significantly higher resolution than the Ally, so that stuttering over something like Fall Guys is most probably because it was being run at native res.
Peg it at 1080p and you shouldn’t see any stutters at all.

I will say though, going from 7' to 8' display makes a huge difference in immersion and detail.

8.8 inch display, actually.

1) No VRR

Pro vs Ally....

1) Bigger screen
2) Detachable controls
3) Second USB C port

Also faster RAM, but it remains to be seen what the impact of that will be in benchmarks.

Topher

Gold Member
NerdNest Review of Legion Go Edit: Eh....not really a review. Says he can't talk about performance until tomorrow. Just a first impressions I guess.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
NerdNest Review of Legion Go Edit: Eh....not really a review. Says he can't talk about performance until tomorrow. Just a first impressions I guess.

Lmao I was just going to share this and tag you.

Sounds promising. Just waiting for benchmarks. Tomorrow, I think

Topher

Gold Member
Lmao I was just going to share this and tag you.

Sounds promising. Just waiting for benchmarks. Tomorrow, I think

I'm curious if the faster memory gives it any noticeable boost over my Ally. Probably not much. Hopefully they go into more depth about the software as well. I like how Armoury Crate give me one place to launch games from all stores, but don't recall seeing that so far with the Go. Might have missed it.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You have been playing with no VRR for probably many many years and now! The games will be just as good as before! Does it suck yeah, but I’m. It missing out on the best hand held gaming system over vrr.

Nope. Every single display in my house has vrr and all my tvs have it since over 3 years ago. I'm not going backwards now. I've played on the device and it was decent but not enough over my ally to make me want it.

Maybe the next one that has vrr and a more capable soc. Right now. The ally is perfect for me.

CobraAB

Been considering one of these handhelds.

The really true drawback is Windows IMO.

Oh yeah, it gives you good compatibility but the UI just is crap on a device like this. I know there are launchers and that kind of stuff.

This market is getting big enough for MS to do something for this category if they wanted to do it. Maybe they will. Ventyually do a PC handheld themselves? But then again, maybe not.

Klosshufvud

Oh yeah, it gives you good compatibility but the UI just is crap on a device like this. I know there are launchers and that kind of stuff.

This market is getting big enough for MS to do something for this category if they wanted to do it. Maybe they will. Ventyually do a PC handheld themselves? But then again, maybe not.
Been using a W11 handheld for some time now and I prefer W11 over SteamOS. There is some jank sure but in return you get perfect compatibility and consistency with your home PC. No weird shader downloads or Proton compatibility checks. Everything just works. If I wanna do something really complex, I plug in a keyboard. But I have only done that once. I think W11 is fine for handhelds since most handhelds come with shortcut buttons and high resolution displays anyways.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Nope. Every single display in my house has vrr and all my tvs have it since over 3 years ago. I'm not going backwards now. I've played on the device and it was decent but not enough over my ally to make me want it.

Maybe the next one that has vrr and a more capable soc. Right now. The ally is perfect for me.
Ally screen is too small for me, and the sticks are way to lose.

Darko

So it’s not available until the 10th at Best Buy Canada :( and the 7th if I order at Lenovo … lucky USA customers

Onironauta

1) No VRR

Pro vs Ally....

1) Bigger screen
2) Detachable controls
3) Second USB C port

Both Go's USB ports are USB4 with thunderbolt support, which means you can connect an external non-proprietary GPU to it.

Though, it will be much more bottlenecked than Asus' overpriced prioprietary eGPU, which is based on Oculink.

Last edited:
What a promising device, if it had an OLED I‘d definitely buy it, but after the terrible screen from the steamdeck there‘s no way another LCD display arrives in my household.

Topher

Gold Member

A bit concerned about the display being portrait rather than landscape. Apparently that means the resolution is 1600x2560 rather than 2560x1600 so that could be an issue for some games.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

To be honest, on my Steamdeck I spread 90% of my time in-game, and the bulk of time spent in the UI is trying to fix compatibility issues or tweak performance. I’m not sure I really get some of the complaints about the Windows handhelds. Especially when they have their own gaming focused launchers and overlays. It’s not like you’re having to launch games by clicking on desktop icons.

I can understand complaints tied to Sleep, suspend resume etc

A bit concerned about the display being portrait rather than landscape. Apparently that means the resolution is 1600x2560 rather than 2560x1600 so that could be an issue for some games.

From what I read, that’s likely to only be an issue for very old games.

StereoVsn

Yeah, that’s going to mess with some of the older games.

If the device had a 32gb option, a larger battery and landscape VRR screen it would make a lot more sense.

IMO, there isn’t much point to getting Lenovo if you have an Ally or something similar.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
To be honest, on my Steamdeck I spread 90% of my time in-game, and the bulk of time spent in the UI is trying to fix compatibility issues or tweak performance. I’m not sure I really get some of the complaints about the Windows handhelds. Especially when they have their own gaming focused launchers and overlays. It’s not like you’re having to launch games by clicking on desktop icons.

I can understand complaints tied to Sleep, suspend resume etc

From what I read, that’s likely to only be an issue for very old games.

Yeah, that’s going to mess with some of the older games.

If the device had a 32gb option, a larger battery and landscape VRR screen it would make a lot more sense.

IMO, there isn’t much point to getting Lenovo if you have an Ally or something similar.

I wonder how old we are talking about? The oldest game I still play is Oblivion. Also, seems there is some inconsistencies on the display orientation. Lenovo rep has been answering questions on the Lenovo forums and insists that the final version of the Go will be in landscape mode. I'm wondering if the unit being reviewed was also pre-release.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

What is so difficult about using the touch screen to navigate on Windows? Crap is navigation with Dpad.

StereoVsn

I think a lot of that talk above is BS. All I can say is that Ally with VRR works quite well to prevent tearing. At the same time 120hz or 144hz are generally pointless considering the power of these devices.

And if some old or indie game can run at those sorts of frames you can just vsync lock it to 60 and that’s good enough for the screen.

So in short, IMO, above is damage control. I really recommend waiting to actual consumer and final reviews on this one.

Top Bottom