• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lenovo’s Legion Go handheld gaming PC ($799) specs leaked, QHD+ screen, Oct release

Ev1L AuRoN

This was my source and it seems it wasn't correct.

Plotting Super Mario GIF by Gaming GIFs

They say it runs better after patches though.
I need to check if the fps is now 60, It's sometime since I played last time.

RaptorGTA

Got mine yesterday. Unfortunately with work, kids, Halloween and sleep, haven't got to play too much. Cyberpunk runs and looks great. Bf2042 was running but not great.

The thing is massive, it not bad and the big screen is nice. I like it but I also don't know if I'd recommend a friend buying one just yet.

Sleepwalker

Cant seem to find many actual good videos about it.

Saw one guy running GOW 2018 at 800p with 45 fps avg or so on medium settings. 30 at 1080 which is decent I guess but need to see more.

DaGwaphics

Impressive specs but I’m not sure something heavier than the Steam Deck will be comfortable to use.

Screen resolution is great, you can run less demanding stuff at native resolution and the rest at 1280x800 which will scale nicely.

Good effort overall.

Agreed. The quad pixel scaling is probably why they chose the resolution they did.

Topher

Gold Member
Another confirmation that the screen is native portrait mode. Shows some of the issues with this....

Also, Go software doesn't automatically add installed games to its library. Only games you've already played. Not a huge deal, but having a single launcher that automatically incorporates all games is one of the things I like about my Rog Ally.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

So... Anyone got it? I'm mad tempted but the Ally is starting to go on sale and can be had for around $250-300 cad less.

Sleepwalker

Yeah, the screen was tempting but the software doesn’t seem to be there yet.
Not going to lie, the PS Portal is going up the interest ranks as we speak, I just want a good screen with software that won't break.

I have a deck and a switch if I wanna leave the house lol.

bigdad2007

As someone who plays 80% of his switch in handheld mode I can’t imagine not having a quick resume/suspend mode.

It would be a deal breaker and it looks like windows gaming has yet to figure this out.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
As someone who plays 80% of his switch in handheld mode I can’t imagine not having a quick resume/suspend mode.
And another reason why i prefer my Deck despite the superior power of these new systems. I just can't see myself using a handheld that doesn't have a suspend option. How people managed to use systems like Gameboy and Gameboy Advance where that functionality did not exist baffles me

Topher

Gold Member

It would be a deal breaker and it looks like windows gaming has yet to figure this out.

Definitely a feature Microsoft needs to get off their ass and add to Windows for gaming. But honestly, if I gotta choose between quick resume and more power......I'm going with more power every time.

Sleepwalker

And another reason why i prefer my Deck despite the superior power of these new systems. I just can't see myself using a handheld that doesn't have a suspend option. How people managed to use systems like Gameboy and Gameboy Advance where that functionality did not exist baffles me

You couldn't miss what didn't exist back then :p

Played around with one of these are microcenter. The screen is fantastic and a major step up from the steam deck. But from everything I've read SteamOS is still unbeatable. Love my steam deck, just wish it had about 10% more power.

Edit: also wish I didn't need windows to use gamepass on the deck.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Played around with one of these are microcenter. The screen is fantastic and a major step up from the steam deck. But from everything I've read SteamOS is still unbeatable. Love my steam deck, just wish it had about 10% more power.

Edit: also wish I didn't need windows to use gamepass on the deck.

Game Pass is a big reason I opted for Windows handheld. Definitely still prefer Steam OS though.

Klosshufvud

Game Pass is a big reason I opted for Windows handheld. Definitely still prefer Steam OS though.
Personally don't miss the Proton jank and shader compilation downloads. And last time I used SteamOS, S/R was bugged to hell and barely functional. I don't mind spending an extra half minute turning off a game and then having the device on standby. It's such a minimal nuisance to me, especially considering all that is gained instead.

Topher

Gold Member
Personally don't miss the Proton jank and shader compilation downloads. And last time I used SteamOS, S/R was bugged to hell and barely functional. I don't mind spending an extra half minute turning off a game and then having the device on standby. It's such a minimal nuisance to me, especially considering all that is gained instead.

yeah.....the quick resume stuff was never a factor for me.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I’m tempted to pick up either this or an Ally. I have a feeling Best Buy is gonna have a good black friday deal on Ally. I use my steam deck so much, would be nice to get a windows device as well. Another part of me just wants to wait for next year’s offerings.

Ozriel

M$FT
Definitely a feature Microsoft needs to get off their ass and add to Windows for gaming. But honestly, if I gotta choose between quick resume and more power......I'm going with more power every time.

I’m firmly in that boat myself.

Not to mention the compatibility thing. Still can’t play FIFA/FC24 on the deck, and when you manage to dualboot Windows, the performance is significantly worse than on the Z1 Extreme handhelds like the Ally.

Topher

Gold Member
I’m tempted to pick up either this or an Ally. I have a feeling Best Buy is gonna have a good black friday deal on Ally. I use my steam deck so much, would be nice to get a windows device as well. Another part of me just wants to wait for next year’s offerings.

It would be really cool if they made it so it was easy to swap out one m.2 for another. I could see myself having one SSD with SteamOS and another with Windows. Probably a limited use case for nerds like me though.

Sleepwalker

The Ally is already on sale and they have returns until january, you could probably bite now and use and abuse it then return it/price adjust whatever.

I think I'm doing that with the Ally while the GO irons out it's issues/goes on sale. I'm not sure that I'd spend an extra $150-$250 (cad) just for the bigger screen, but damn if it isn't a beautiful screen.

Topher

Gold Member
The Ally is already on sale and they have returns until january, you could probably bite now and use and abuse it then return it/price adjust whatever.

I think I'm doing that with the Ally while the GO irons out it's issues/goes on sale. I'm not sure that I'd spend an extra $150-$250 (cad) just for the bigger screen, but damn if it isn't a beautiful screen.

I go back and forth about the Legion Go. I'm waiting for an open box to show up locally and then I'm going to put it on my best buy card interest free and decide between now and January whether to keep it or not. I want to see if the UI is as bad as they say and if I notice the lack of VRR.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Tried Windows on your Deck? You can install on a SD Card too.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

That’s exactly where I’m at. I want that bigger screen.

I have $150 in Lenovo credit that I can use. I'm kind of interested but I already have a Deck. I just really don't want the headache of having multiple launchers on the Deck.

Last edited:

JCK75

If your chief argument is "well turn down the resolution to get good performance" then they poorly designed the product.

This is what a well thought out handheld device looks like. A native landscape display. This avoids issues with certain older games, and even changing resolution on newer ones. Because the display on some handhelds, like the steamdeck, is a portrait display that's been rotated, messing with exclusive full screen and certain resolutions will just straight up break some games. I'm looking at you Yakuza Ishin.

A solid resolution for that screen size with an understanding of how that affects clarity, battery life, and performance.

Scaling, configurable levels of ram based on your need and price point. As someone with multiple handhelds, I'm telling you flat out, 16GB of shared memory is not enough for a windows based handheld and modern gaming. Certainly not if you are looking to have one of these for a prolonged period. Sure if you are in the market to buy another one of these suckers every year or two, then yeah maybe you can get away with that for now. Good fuckin luck if you ever need to get into the bios for some reason and you don't have access to a keyboard or mouse, or god forbid you have to reinstall windows.

Having a higher resolution screen is perfectly fine, I mean there are going to be plenty of games that will run well at a higher resolution while still giving solid battery life, really only having to cut back higher end games..
having options and knowing how to use them is great.

Klosshufvud

Topher Topher already having issues with the only game i tried.. shows the game upside down :(

Edit: sonic racing transformed
Could be due to its portrait display. I think there is a workaround for that on github. Unfortunately I can't recall what it's called. You can probably google it and see if that solution works. Alternatively try to switch API to something else.

Klosshufvud

Nope.. don’t have that..

and the new steam deck was announced an hour after I paid cash to get one second hand. My life is a joke :(
I would not cry over it. The chip in the Lenovo is so much more performant. And I'd rather have a high resolution 8,8' display over 7,4' 800p OLED.

Top Bottom