• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lenovo’s Legion Go handheld gaming PC ($799) specs leaked, QHD+ screen, Oct release

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
That works ok on a larger screen and not so much on a small handheld. It’s just not a good interface for the purpose.
For me Windows on Deck works ok with default sized icons. Much faster with less limitations than dpad or track pad navigation.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Generally love these devices, have the ally, went back to the deck after a while just for ease of use and ergonomics, this looks like a better bridge between deck and ally.

Biggest thing for me is that almost no bezel screen, looks awesome but not sure I'm going to get one.

Ozriel

M$FT
Also, Lenovo guy has a lot to say about the lack of VRR in the device, suggesting it isn't a big deal. Thoughts?

WTt81to.png

people who have received their units confirm it’s a native portrait display.

I think a lot of that talk above is BS. All I can say is that Ally with VRR works quite well to prevent tearing. At the same time 120hz or 144hz are generally pointless considering the power of these devices.

And if some old or indie game can run at those sorts of frames you can just vsync lock it to 60 and that’s good enough for the screen.

So in short, IMO, above is damage control. I really recommend waiting to actual consumer and final reviews on this one.

half the people here happily played on Steamdeck without VRR, so it’s a bit weird seeing the focus on VRR.

I’m not sure I’d characterize 120hz as ‘pointless’ since there’s a lot of folks who play older games or simpler games like Ori or Cuphead or Hades etc.

I suspect some of the comments here are down to Ally owners considering one, a move im not sure makes that much sense. For fresh purchasers, I’m not sure a VRR display does enough to outweigh some of the significant advantages for the Legion Go’s display and form factor.

Tiny fonts and tiny icons/buttons especially on taskbar make the whole thing a chore.

Touch targets at an 8.8 inch display size are bigger than those in SteamOS desktop mode, so I’m not sure why this is being cited as a Windows issue.

StereoVsn

half the people here happily played on Steamdeck without VRR, so it’s a bit weird seeing the focus on VRR.

I’m not sure I’d characterize 120hz as ‘pointless’ since there’s a lot of folks who play older games or simpler games like Ori or Cuphead or Hades etc.

I suspect some of the comments here are down to Ally owners considering one, a move im not sure makes that much sense. For fresh purchasers, I’m not sure a VRR display does enough to outweigh some of the significant advantages for the Legion Go’s display and form factor.

Touch targets at an 8.8 inch display size are bigger than those in SteamOS desktop mode, so I’m not sure why this is being cited as a Windows issue.

SteamOS Desktop is largely unusable, IMO, without KBM.

VRR is really nice with Ally. On Steam Deck side 40hz support was a big deal, hopefully Lenovo can support that.

Topher

Gold Member

Really? I saw that one guy's video, but haven't seen anyone else confirm. Strange that the Lenovo guy was adamant that is was landscape.

As an Ally owner, the larger display is what has me interested in the Go, but now that I've seen it side by side with Ally a bit more, I think I'll just stick with Ally.

Not a Windows issue. Both are difficult to navigate in desktop mode, but really when someone has the device in hand they should primarily be using the custom software overlays made for each device.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
SteamOS Desktop is largely unusable, IMO, without KBM.

VRR is really nice with Ally. On Steam Deck side 40hz support was a big deal, hopefully Lenovo can support that.
I use Desktop mode very well with touch screens + virtual kb button for every non Steam stuff.

Just use RTSS for 40fps on Lenovo.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Steam Deck can run natively at 40hz? Afaik, it's only a cap/custom refresh rate as the screen is not VRR or freesync.
They rolled it out during one of firmware updates. Don’t think it’s just a cap, but the screen specifically supports 40hz refresh. Could be wrong I guess, but that’s what I remember from before.

Sleepwalker

I'm interested in this actually, I like the size and I think older games will look incredible on that screen. I barely use my Deck nowadays because it's by far the worst screen in my house.

GHG

They rolled it out during one of firmware updates. Don’t think it’s just a cap, but the screen specifically supports 40hz refresh. Could be wrong I guess, but that’s what I remember from before.

No you're correct. The screens refresh rate is what changes to being 40hz, which is a big difference to a simple 40fps framerate limit on a 60hz screen.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
First 30 minute impressions:

Screen is a looker mostly due to the lack of bezel and how Lenovo framed it with the controllers.

Installed steam and popped in my SD card from a steam deck or ally, and jumped into BG3 really quick. 60fps without messing with anything (steam overlay).

Will need to spend some time playing it before any final judgements.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I think a lot of that talk above is BS. All I can say is that Ally with VRR works quite well to prevent tearing. At the same time 120hz or 144hz are generally pointless considering the power of these devices.

And if some old or indie game can run at those sorts of frames you can just vsync lock it to 60 and that’s good enough for the screen.

So in short, IMO, above is damage control. I really recommend waiting to actual consumer and final reviews on this one.
Alot of what he is saying is correct, but I almost only get screen tearing at high FPS (beyond gsync range) or games that are artificially locked to 30.

Without vsync you will get tearing if a frame is delivered in the middle of a scan. VRR usually doesn't work below 40.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Almost ordered it but the more I play with those handheld the more I found it’s not for me I have a steam deck and had an Ally…both lack power imo I’m going to wait for the next generation of those systems

Klosshufvud

It's bigger than big (Steam Deck) and I am disappointed they didn't a fit a bigger battery and better fans in there. Atleast Ally's smaller battery is balanced by it being smaller and lighter device. I'll be biased here and say my Aokzoe is just a better variant of it.

Onironauta

It's bigger than big (Steam Deck) and I am disappointed they didn't a fit a bigger battery and better fans in there. Atleast Ally's smaller battery is balanced by it being smaller and lighter device. I'll be biased here and say my Aokzoe is just a better variant of it.
All Z1E/7840U handhelds are pretty much equivalent, it would be waste to get more than one IMO, better wait for the next gen

GHG

Almost ordered it but the more I play with those handheld the more I found it’s not for me I have a steam deck and had an Ally…both lack power imo I’m going to wait for the next generation of those systems

For me the steam deck is basically a backlog and indie machine (and for emulators), that's where it really shines.

No way would I want it as my only/primary gaming machine though. It's more of a companion device.

StereoVsn

For me the steam deck is basically a backlog and indie machine (and for emulators), that's where it really shines.

No way would I want it as my only/primary gaming machine though. It's more of a companion device.
Handhelds are also great for emulation and can be used for game streaming.

But yes, they shouldn’t be considered as primary gaming devices for the most part.

Reactions: GHG

FingerBang

Cancelled my order. That big screen was tempting, but sacrificing VRR and superior sound along with the late reviews changed my mind. I'm going to try it out at my local microcenter first.
I seriously don't get how all these manufacturer keep going for high-res and high refresh rate without VRR on a machine that struggles to run at above 60fps on most recent games. There is literally no way to make good use of that resolution and refresh rate on this machine. The Ally is the only one that makes sense and it came out months ago. What the hell?

And, if you only care about older games, you can pay half the price and get a Steam Deck.

StereoVsn

I seriously don't get how all these manufacturer keep going for high-res and high refresh rate without VRR on a machine that struggles to run at above 60fps on most recent games. There is literally no way to make good use of that resolution and refresh rate on this machine. The Ally is the only one that makes sense and it came out months ago. What the hell?

And, if you only care about older games, you can pay half the price and get a Steam Deck.
Yeah, if Lenovo had 32GB (or even 24GB so can allocate 8GB to GPU), and good VRR screen, I would be tempted to dump Ally and perhaps Steam Deck.

As it is there isn’t much point.

Topher

Gold Member
Handhelds are also great for emulation and can be used for game streaming.

But yes, they shouldn’t be considered as primary gaming devices for the most part.

Yeah, a lot of games just don't make sense on handhelds. Here is what I have installed currently on my Ally.

LxjGc2L.png

My PC has the larger games like BG3, Cyberpunk 2077, etc.

StereoVsn

Yeah, a lot of games just don't make sense on handhelds. Here is what I have installed currently on my Ally.

LxjGc2L.png

My PC has the larger games like BG3, Cyberpunk 2077, etc.
Surprisingly Cyberpunk and Spiderman are fine on Ally/Deck. You won’t get that much runtime but performance isn’t too bad all things considered.

BG3 would also work but I hate squinting at the maps, lol. It’s the same with a lot of Paradox games. They will run but small screen plus large map with details just doesn’t work for me.

Topher

Gold Member
Surprisingly Cyberpunk and Spiderman are fine on Ally/Deck. You won’t get that much runtime but performance isn’t too bad all things considered.

BG3 would also work but I hate squinting at the maps, lol. It’s the same with a lot of Paradox games. They will run but small screen plus large map with details just doesn’t work for me.

I installed Cyberpunk initially to run its benchmark and I was really surprised how well it performed. I just suck playing first person shooters with controllers. Gotta have keyboard and mouse. Plus, that game looks so damn good on my big screen.

StereoVsn

I installed Cyberpunk initially to run its benchmark and I was really surprised how well it performed. I just suck playing first person shooters with controllers. Gotta have keyboard and mouse. Plus, that game looks so damn good on my big screen.
Steam Deck with Gyro and trackpads works quite well once you get used to it. Ally is more problematic but has slightly better performance.

I do normally use KBM on FPS games though as well.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Steam Deck with Gyro and trackpads works quite well once you get used to it.
The Steam Deck control scheme is superior to any PC (or console) controller I've used, even ignoring the trackpads, the capacitive thumbsticks (which people seemingly don't really talk much about despite their use for making gyro more tolerable) and the 4 back buttons make this thing a beauty to use. The biggest flaw are the shoulder buttons

StereoVsn

The Steam Deck control scheme is superior to any PC (or console) controller I've used, even ignoring the trackpads, the capacitive thumbsticks (which people seemingly don't really talk much about despite their use for making gyro more tolerable) and the 4 back buttons make this thing a beauty to use. The biggest flaw are the shoulder buttons
Yeah, an updated Steam Deck with 8000 series chipset, better screen and 32gb would be pretty great.

Ev1L AuRoN

Costs 50 dollars more than Switch and performs worse? Cult of the lamb runs at 60fps on switch. 2 hours of Hollow Knight drains all of it's battery? That will only reduce %30-40 of Switch's battery. And you can't "switch" to TV!
It seems Switch is the king of cheap handhelds and will be the king for a long time.

Super Mario Dancing GIF
I swear I thought Cult of the Lamb runs at 30fps with drops on Switch, I have this game on PC and the Switch, and it's nowhere near 60fps.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
No but I found that the latest game had trouble having a good framerate and resolution so I sold my Ally to a buddy of mine the steam deck is now my girlfriend Indy console.
ehh. I still feel like that's more part on the devs and UE5 than it is the issue of the Ally not being powerful enough. the Z1 Extreme in that thing is about as capable as a 5800x. Hopefully the next revision of the Ally/Deck improves upon the GPU power since I feel like that's the main thing lacking with these handhelds when it comes to power. And efficiency, of course.

Hope your girlfriend enjoys that deck though... (wait that sounded wrong)

Top Bottom