• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Less known but still very good canceled TV Shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwk94

Undergrads and Clone High for me.

g3PDfQD.jpg

Came out in early 2000's, right around when I started college. Not sure if it still holds up, but I remember digging it. Was sad to see it only go for 1 season.

Hey, Guy!

Samurai Jack, Invader Zim, Stargate Universe. Man I really want Zim to come back, there was some awesome stuff lined up for the next season.

Superflat

Better off Ted. Campy corporate satire with dark comedy. So good.

Loved the writing, anything Portia de Rossi says in this show is instantly quote/gif-able.

lXhIS04.gif

tumblr_m613g6qXSP1qasja8o1_500.gif

Flashforward

Show sucked me while watching it on a whim on netflix. Got to the end of season 1 only to find out it had been cancelled. Then I read the book the show was based on. Would have been a great 4-5 season show but apparently the budget was sky high and ratings weren't stellar so ABC canned it after one season.

Nah, these shows are talked about all the time. Remember OP asked for LESSER KNOWN cancelled shows. MAYBE in a decade or so Young Justice will be forgotten and deserve to be mentioned. And at least Beyond got three seasons.

But speaking of comic book shows I've gotta mention:

Silver_Surfer_Serie_de_TV-636965720-large.jpg

Seriously forget Spectacular Spider-man, people whine about that show all the time, Silver Surfer is the REAL forgotten gem that was tragically cancelled.

Fantastic_Four_World%27s_Greatest_Heroes_2006_DVD_Cover.jpg

Again, not talked about a lot compared to other cancelled shows. Sadly, the last F4 Cartoon we'll get for a long long time.

And for something completely different:

20140831042649!Muppets-tonight-logo.jpg

I was really lukewarm about this show at first, but then it really starts to find it's groove in the latter half of its run, introducing a bunch of awesome characters that deserve more screen time.

Chatin

The Class. Didn't even get a DVD release. At least the cast got to go on to other great projects like Party Down, Modern Family, Better Off Ted, and The Walking Dead.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I came in here to post Boston Legal, and then i went to YouTube to look for clips. They ALWAYS take Boston Legal clips down. I even uploaded a couple to preach about how good the show is, and they still took it down.

And now THE ENTIRE SERIES IS UP ON YOUTUBE! WEEEEEEE

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I don't really know if it's not well known, but The Spectacular Spider-Man was the single best representation of Spider-Man ever put onto video.

Ikon

Traveler is just about the only series I can think of that fits here. I feel robbed, somehow, because of it.

Luck, I loved it and was sad that it got cancelled. I think he was xancelled because it had a high number of horse deaths. Dustin Hoffman was amazing in it.

notworksafe

6k6S3CJ.jpg

Luck was the best show HBO has had in a while and it got canned. :( The one season that got made was a slow burn but the last three episodes are gold.

beat

And Andy Barker, PI! That one, IMO, was even funnier than ARCTU. And it got even fewer episodes.

Pushing Daisies
Pushing Daisies, IMO, is still Bryan Fuller's masterwork, if only because I can't warm to Hannibal's creepy-scary vibe quite as much as PD's twee/sad vibe.

Party Down was hilarious.
Party Down is the other great show with the initials "PD". It's amazing how funny it is and more impressive (IMO) that the writing staff was so small that it was basically John Enbom plus a few others.

Speaking of Enbom, he headed up the adaptation of Free Agents. Free Agents (US) was OK, not sure I could fully recommend it, but the UK version was really pretty good.

Also will co-sign for Invader Zim, My Name is Earl (caveat that it kind of ran out of steam near the end, not unlike the other really good Greg Garcia show Raising Hope), Life, Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23, and esp Happy Endings.

Ben and Kate was all right.
To me, B&K was a very good show just a thin slice away from finding greatness. Not sure what that missing element was, but consider that it arrived fully formed, knew completely what it wanted to do, and executed it really well. It had a unique rhythm in its writing and editing that went a little slower than super-fast-paced comedies, but found weird and unusual jokes by doing so.

Also John Doe was fantastic
I don't want to be too negative, but I actively hated John Doe. I tuned in at first for the interesting premise, then stuck around only because it was shot in my hometown, but it was terribly written in almost every way. So dumb.

In 1999-2000, there was a comedy on ABC called "It's Like, You Know..." which was very funny but got cancelled midway through it's second season. That and "Get a Life" both deserved to be around longer.
Oh wow, yes, Get a Life was great! Super weird comedy, though. I think it would be weird even for now, and it was very weird for its time.

As for It's Like, You Know... -- I didn't watch it that much, but to this day when I see him on TV I have to actively search for his name (Evan Handler) because any time he guested on anything TWoP covered, the recappers called him "Shrug", after his character name on that show.

SheHateMe

Code:
[IMG]http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/dqnplus/imgs/1/c/1c647512.jpg[/IMG]
The show that single handedly made me quit watching TV for almost five years when it got canceled.

Surprised no one mentioned it... although the argument could be made that some people didn't find it good. I LOVED this show.

Big Nikus

I never heard about Terriers before reading this thread. It never aired in my country. It got cancelled, but is the ending really unsatisfactory ? I want to see more Donald Logue (he was the only thing I liked in the first episode of Gotham).

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
A couple that havent been mentioned (or i missed them) both of which are from the late 90s/early 2000s cable.

MORKaju.jpg

Invisible Man intro on youtube

The Invisible.Man. i first found out about this show when i came across a promotional "invisible" mail order catalog left under an ashtray in between two gas station slot machines. The catalog was aping Sears or Service Merchandise catalogs that were common at the time but this one had the models demoing invisible items like clothes, barbecue grills, or bicycles. Was really cool and have never seen it since. Anyway.. the show is great fun and it seems to be on Hulu for free so theres no excuse.

I47Hqqn.jpg

GvsE intro on youtube

G vs E (later retitled to Good vs Evil). Crazy, crazy show about a guy who comes back to life working for heaven to fight against evil. Very funny and very off the wall. Unfortunately your only hope to get this show is bootlegs afaik. i really want to get into details of certain things but it would only ruin the jokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom