• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lesser known Anime from the 2000's: Because they still make great anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Branduil said:
I don't remember it being explained explicitly.
As far as actually getting the poison in, one plausible suggestion I heard was with a syringe. As for how he knew they would eat it, I don't know. I guess it's possible they ate the candy multiple times, and after the first time Johan poisoned it. That's just my speculation though.
Johan always acts upon people's personalities and patterns. He either manipulates them himself to achieve a desired goal or simply anticipates them and lets them do all the work for him. With the hospital director, it's not difficult to diagnose his personality type. He doesn't give a shit about the wounded kid other than the fact that he is good for business. And since the kid is practically hospital property in his mind, that makes the gifts his. And since the gifts are his, there's no reason to not eat the candy. His associates are both yes men trying to climb the bureaucratic ladder, so they'll play monkey see monkey do and follow the director's lead. But nobody else who is likely to be there would think along the same lines, which means nobody else but these three fellows are likely to be eating the candy. So the chances of the poison killing anybody but the intended targets is low.

That's just Johan, always being several steps ahead of the game.

Max

I am not Max
Branduil said:
I don't remember it being explained explicitly.
As far as actually getting the poison in, one plausible suggestion I heard was with a syringe. As for how he knew they would eat it, I don't know. I guess it's possible they ate the candy multiple times, and after the first time Johan poisoned it. That's just my speculation though.
But
he's shown ripping the bag, and then shown unwrapping the individual candy. I just can't believe how this small child would be able to poison dozens of candies in individual wrappers in an unopened bag. And I can't see it as a recurring thing for the chief to have eaten the childs other candy beforehand because of the reason they were eating it was because of the success of having Kenzo demoted.

It really should have been explained thoroughly in more scenes. It'd make sense if he'd eaten his candy on multiple occasions, I guess i'll have to believe that and move on.

MetatronM said:
Johan always acts upon people's personalities and patterns. He either manipulates them himself to achieve a desired goal or simply anticipates them and lets them do all the work for him. With the hospital director, it's not difficult to diagnose his personality type. He doesn't give a shit about the wounded kid other than the fact that he is good for business. And since the kid is practically hospital property in his mind, that makes the gifts his. And since the gifts are his, there's no reason to not eat the candy. His associates are both yes men trying to climb the bureaucratic ladder, so they'll play monkey see monkey do and follow the director's lead. But nobody else who is likely to be there would think along the same lines, which means nobody else but these three fellows are likely to be eating the candy. So the chances of the poison killing anybody but the intended targets is low.

That's just Johan, always being several steps ahead of the game.
Okay I get it now. Thanks guys.

Erigu

Max said:
Question about the first few episodes of Monster

How in the hell did Johann manage to poison the candy and by coincidence make the director, chief, and other guy eat them? It just seems too bizarre that even though it was pre-meditated something like this could work out.

Everything set around it is plausible and i'm really enjoying the series so far, but this is bothering me to no end. Is it somehow explained later on?
"Don't examine this too closely."
An advice that really shouldn't be forgotten when following one of Urasawa's "recent" series...

Branduil

Max said:
But
he's shown ripping the bag, and then shown unwrapping the individual candy. I just can't believe how this small child would be able to poison dozens of candies in individual wrappers in an unopened bag. And I can't see it as a recurring thing for the chief to have eaten the childs other candy beforehand because of the reason they were eating it was because of the success of having Kenzo demoted.

It really should have been explained thoroughly in more scenes. It'd make sense if he'd eaten his candy on multiple occasions, I guess i'll have to believe that and move on.
In theory, if he used a syringe he wouldn't have to open the bag. He doesn't need to insert the poison into each candy, just inside the bag. The men will touch it when they touch the candy wrappers and ingest it when they put the candy in their mouths.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I am shocked that there is no mention of Kaleido Star.

ks16-03.jpg

ks1801.jpg

ks17-01.png

ks2104.jpg

It was an excellent anime series that was made by Junichi Sato, the series director for Sailor Moon. This anime had a great cast of characters, amazing pacing, a great musical score, and insanely high production values.

Unlike many anime seasons out there, both season 1 and season 2 had amazing endings.

Excellent thread. I'll definitely be checking some of these out. Haibane Renmei in particular looks interesting. The artstyle and synopsis had me sold, and then I saw that Kou Otani is the composer.

So far the only one on the list I've seen is Nodame Cantabile, but I wasn't that big a fan.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Nice thread. I would like to add to Nodame Cantabile, that even though this is about anime, the live action Drama is very very much enjoyable and in some ways superior to the anime.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Replicant said:
Rozen Maiden / Rozen Maiden: Träumend / Rozen Maiden: Ouvertüre
A series about Battle Royale between 7 gothic dolls that have been imbued with a life in the form of a crystal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSpyIbKrAx8

2ntwdpw.jpg

Nope. I love it as well.

Or just watch Highlander :D

Hcoregamer00 said:
I am shocked that there is no mention of Kaleido Star.

ks16-03.jpg

ks1801.jpg

ks17-01.png

ks2104.jpg

It was an excellent anime series that was made by Junichi Sato, the series director for Sailor Moon. This anime had a great cast of characters, amazing pacing, a great musical score, and insanely high production values.

Unlike many anime seasons out there, both season 1 and season 2 had amazing endings.

Fantastic show

Did anyone ever watch all the way through Kemono No Souja Erin? I watched 25 episodes, about halfway through, and found it really heartwarming. It's written by the same person that did Moribito.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
octopusman said:
Did anyone ever watch all the way through Kemono No Souja Erin? I watched 25 episodes, about halfway through, and found it really heartwarming. It's written by the same person that did Moribito.
Jexhius must have forgot about that show. As i recall him singing praises.

durendal

leroy hacker said:
Another thing I think it's useful to mention: Some of these can be watched (by Americans at least) legally for free on Hulu.

Big Windup
Casshern Sins
Gankutsuou
Monster
Mushi-Shi (but not the entire series)
Oh! Edo Rocket
Shigurui
Spice and Wolf
Tatami Galaxy

It's a shame they don't have all of Mushi-Shi because that is one of the most refreshing anime I've seen this decade. If you want to see something different from the usual anime character or plot tropes, you should definitely check this series out.

Some of these are also on Funimation's Youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/FUNimation#p/shows

flawfuls

Lafiel said:
Jexhius must have forgot about that show. As i recall him singing praises.

It's a good show, but it's still hugely flawed and hard to recommend. It was really slow, long, low budget and aimed at a really young audience. Basically it's the modern equivalent of those world masterpiece theater anime they use to make. It clearly had excellent source material and the core story alone makes it worth watching, but it wasn't a very good adaptation. If it got the same treatment Moribito did it would have been amazing.

I ordered the DVD box of Gurren Lagann Complete Series on Amazon. It'll be here tomorrow. Did I pick a good one? I never got to watch it on Sci Fi so.

Oh just watched Mushi-shi's first episode, interesting. :O

Casshern Sins, want to see kick a man while he's down often? As he makes sense of it all? Or tries. It's a must watch folks, hands down.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
^I'm sold. Will buy soon.

MidnightScott said:
I ordered the DVD box of Gurren Lagann Complete Series on Amazon. It'll be here tomorrow. Did I pick a good one? I never got to watch it on Sci Fi so.
Wow, only $34.99?

I need to get on that, but I just blind bought Pumpkin Scissors and Red Gargen, both complete.

smurfx

get some go again
you should put inukami and bokurano on that list. anyways i recommend people watch spice and wolf, Natsume's Book of Friends, big windup, dennou coil, Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji, mushishi and shigurui.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Shig said:
I'd like to propose adding X'amd. Beautiful show.
Gonna finish watching it soon (stopped at ep 6 a few years ago). Looking forward to it.

And the intro was hot.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Shig said:
I'd like to propose adding X'amd. Beautiful show.

Only if you warn people that it does not go anywhere, or do anything, ever.

Sonicbug

watkinzez said:
Am I the only one with a ridiculous love for Niea_7? The main character really hit close to home, I think.

I love Niea_7! However, I think it would (and has before) piss some people off. Best served to those who like Aria or Haibane Renmei.

I love Dennou Coil so much, I wish it had an english blu-ray release.

7Th

Thinking about it, Casshern Sins and Kaiba are amazingly similar. Sure, they both have almost the exact same premise, but what they share goes deeper, much deeper. The two of them are great episodic shows with amazing art design and a very engaging surrealistic sci-fi atmosphere that completely fall apart when they try to clumsily develop their half-baked central storylines.

This is a great idea for a thread, and I agree with pretty much every show listed that I've seen (and I hope to watch more of them in the future), but the lack of both Nana and Paradise Kiss is criminal. These shows should be compulsory viewing for anyone who likes serious anime with characters who behave like real people. Not to mention mature plot lines and sexual situations that are written for adults, and not horny teenagers.

Cross Game should also be mentioned somewhere as well. Such a beautifully put together series (like pretty much everything Adachi touches).

yencid said:
Is Scryed considered lesser known?

I fucking love that anime.

It aired on Adult Swim, so I wouldn't really consider it 'lesser known'. I agree on it being awesome, though, so it should at least be on the second list.

Branduil

chaostrophy said:
I liked this series a lot, don't know if it's considered obscure:

kino_no_tabi_01.jpg

(Kino's Journey)
Jexhius listed it in the well-known list. Though you could probably make a compelling case for it being obscure, it never aired on TV and it's not in a popular genre.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Nonoriri said:
Only if you warn people that it does not go anywhere, or do anything, ever.
Didn't seem to hurt Evangelion's following.

I don't know, the big 'boss' was sorta crazy metaphysical gobbledygook for sure, but it was pretty clear that it was a major threat and it was defeated with a big awesome fight with rad animation. That's more than most series get. And 'nothing happens'? Really now?

This reductive "if the ending isn't wrapped up with a bow to my liking, the whole series has been a total waste" attitude is bunkum to me.

jman2050

I'll give my token shoutout to Toradora since it's definitely not obscure enough to go on this list but I still feel some people aren't quite aware of it enough to give it a chance, or that it actually is licensed.

B.K.

yencid said:
Oh yeah i made these today and i guess it fits the thread

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lctsh7OQJu1qbqhhuo1_250.gif[/IMG]
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lctsrx5SEO1qbqhhuo1_250.gif[/IMG]
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lcttv9YENm1qbqhhuo1_400.gif[/IMG]
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lcttbrBYtK1qbqhhuo1_400.gif[/IMG]
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lcttekqXLa1qbqhhuo1_400.gif[/IMG]
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lctu4vG8if1qbqhhuo1_500.gif[/IMG]

Satoshi Kon. ;_;

I'm sitting pretty good here. I've seen about half of these. Maybe a little over half, but good list. There's a lot on here I've been meaning to watch.

Stage On

Crest/Banner of the stars is an absolutely fantastic series.

I really wish we would get the Banner of the Stars 3 ova here. I know it's the shortest one yet at only two episodes but I'd it's something more fans need to see, the ending is so amazingly touching and heartwarming.

I also hope we see the rest of the books animated as that's basically the only way we'll ever be able to see the rest of the story since Tyokopop only translated the 3 Crest of the stars books before dropping the project. I own them but darn I hate how they abridged things :(

I'd like to pimp My Bride is a Mermaid(AKA Seto no Hanayome).
dGQg5.jpg

The story of Seto no Hanayome revolves around a young teenage boy named Nagasumi Michishio. One day during his summer vacation at Seto Bay, Nagasumi is saved from drowning by a mermaid, Sun Seto. Under mermaid law, however, either the mermaid whose identity was revealed, or the human who saw the mermaid, must be executed. In an attempt to save both Nagasumi and Sun's lives, Sun's family, which is the head of a mermaid mafia group, reluctantly decides that the two are to be married. Sun's father Gōzaburō is enraged about his daughter's sudden marriage. Between Gōzaburō's constant attempts on his life and the madcap antics of a slew of antagonists, Nagasumi has a hard time transitioning into his new married lifestyle.

The show is completely off the wall and absurd. I think this image sums it up best. All of the episodes are up on Hulu as well.
JjZ2bl.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I approve of the technicality employed to get the series starting with Crest of the Stars listed.

Finaika said:
Rahxephon91
I have bad taste.
(Today, 10:54 AM)
Maybe he deserves a tag change!

Hellsing321 said:
I'd like to pimp My Bride is a Mermaid(AKA Seto no Hanayome).
Pale imitator of an early 80s giant.

Hitokage said:
I approve of the technicality employed to get the series starting with Crest of the Stars listed.

Maybe he deserves a tag change!

Pale imitator of an early 80s giant.
If this was an 80s Anime thread I'd be talking about Urusei Yatsura as well. :lol

Its still a funny show even if it can't live up to its inspiration.

If we're talking about absurd stuff, I think Dokuro-chan deserves a spot on the list. From ANN:

In the future, a man named Sakura is destined to create the technology for eternal life, which (due to Sakura's lolicon tendencies) freezes all women's aging once they turn twelve. God refuses to allow this, so he sends his angels to the past to kill Sakura before he can do this. But one angel, Dokuro-chan, decides to try to change the future without killing him. Problem is, Dokuro is very temperamental, and is constantly killing Sakura (and lots of other people too) in incredibly bloody ways with her giant spiked club. Good thing she can bring people back to life - if only to grusomely kill them again the next time she loses her temper.

One of the funniest series I've ever seen only being topped by Sexy Commando.

Antiochus

To the OP and others:

As a regular, live action TV junkie, what anime TV series would you recommend that is most similar to shows like Battlestar Galactica, The Wire, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, etc.? I'm referring to shows that are mature, intense, with authority and gravitas. Shows dripping quality and the it factor that they may even be eligible to compete with the above mentioned titles. There are a gargantuan amount in the list the OP posted, and since I'm a utter newbie, I would appreciate some guidance.

flawfuls

Antiochus said:
To the OP and others:

As a regular, live action TV junkie, what anime TV series would you recommend that is most similar to shows like Battlestar Galactica, The Wire, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, etc.? I'm referring to shows that are mature, intense, with authority and gravitas. Shows dripping quality and the it factor that they may even be eligible to compete with the above mentioned titles. There are a gargantuan amount in the list the OP posted, and since I'm a utter newbie, I would appreciate some guidance.

I would definitely start with Monster.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Antiochus said:
To the OP and others:

Crest / Banner of the stars for something like Battlestar galactica. Also maybe towards the terra? but i have no idea about the quality of the series since i haven't watched it, but it's a another space opera anime series.

I'd definitely throw out a another Monster recommendation. And while mushi-shi may not be anything like those shows listed. It's the closet thing to perfection as far as anime goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom