• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let’s be real Microsoft would be doing better in the console space

simpatico

I know very few PC gamers who would buy an Xbox to play Starfield. And making iD game console exclusive would certainly confirm our assumptions that we are indeed living in Revelations.

Bkdk

Their best reviewed release in recent years is AOE4 and flight simulator, how would they fare better releasing games on console only? they should go back to the roots and develop for PC first. It's also much cheaper for pc releases to have long term community as all they need to do is support mods, they don't even need to spend much on making dlcs this way. One more year of disappointing releases from avowed, hellblade, fable and I would say it's time for MS to scrap most of their gaming biz and just keep a small scale team to focus on develop AI tools for gaming devs and only keep a few smaller team to do AOE, AOM, flight sim and forza horizon. They can also focus on esports to try bring back RTS esports with AOE and AOM. Time for AOM2 please MS, that's probably all they need in 2025.

Last edited:

noise36

This is a concept that gaf has never been able to grasp.

Nintendo and Sony treat their customers like crap to make more sales. i.e. force you to buy their box and software to play their new games.

MS has the most customer friendly offering but it costs them sales. i.e. you dont have to buy their box or software to play their games.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
What matters most to me with how I game these days, is the more games I can stream on this:

GD_zTnWaMAAaGNZ

without being tied to a console. I like remote play, but I’ll take streaming an entire library over remote play.

I played the majority of my “console games” on my backbone these last few years. That includes Starfield, Baldur’s Gate 3, Fortnite, Cyberpunk 2077 and Spider-Man 2.

Last edited:

Diddy X

It looks like Microsoft is gonna have the best output the next years so they can wait to gain some momentum which they don't have much now, like pull an xbox 360 scenario again and try not to fuck up, they have the studios they just need to be patient.

70s big 3: Magnavox, Coleco, Atari
80s big 3: Atari, Sega, Nintendo
90s big 3: Sega, Sony, Nintendo
00s/10s big 3: Xbox, Sony, Nintendo
20s/30s/40s big 3: Sony, Nintendo, Steamdeck
50s/60s big 3: Nintendo, Steamdeck, Mobile

bitbydeath

I didn’t even know they did?
They let you purchase once and play across all platforms? When was that?

I don’t think some of know exactly what play anywhere is. If you are against you are quite frankly … dumb. 😵‍💫
Not sure where you’re getting that from, their other third party titles such as Minecraft doesn’t allow you to buy once and play on any system.

Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
What matters most to me with how I game these days, is the more games I can stream on this:

GD_zTnWaMAAaGNZ

without being tied to a console. I like remote play, but I’ll take streaming an entire library over remote play.

I played the majority of my “console games” on my backbone these last few years. That includes Starfield, Baldur’s Gate 3, Fortnite, Cyberpunk 2077 and Spider-Man 2.

door sneer GIF

GD_zTnWaMAAaGNZ

Somewhat related, but since I got my Portal, I have spent probably like 80% of my time on it vs the actual console. Remote play and streaming is the real deal.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Not sure where you’re getting that from, their other third party titles such as Minecraft doesn’t allow you to buy once and play on any system.
I am pretty that’s more because no one else will allow it. Only Xbox and pc for now,

If you think about it’s super ridiculous that we as consumers don’t demanded it. Why should we buy say street fighter 6 multiples times? It’s crazy.

bitbydeath

I am pretty that’s more because no one else will allow it. Only Xbox and pc for now,

If you think about it’s super ridiculous that we as consumers don’t demanded it. Why should we buy say street fighter 6 multiples times? It’s crazy.
Cause money!
Store owners want their cut.

Three

Nothing to do with allowing it. Everything to do with what incentive MS has to do it. There is no reason why buying a steam copy couldn't also unlock an xbox store copy, Valve would have no problem allowing that but in that scenario MS would rather you buy it again. Cross buy on select games has been a thing for a long time on platforms where the store owner is the same company. Sega, PS Vita, or windows/MS store. There has rarely been one where different store owners do it though, I can only think of PS3/steam with Portal and some PC+Android examples.

Last edited:

twilo99

This is a concept that gaf has never been able to grasp.

Nintendo and Sony treat their customers like crap to make more sales. i.e. force you to buy their box and software to play their new games.

MS has the most customer friendly offering but it costs them sales. i.e. you dont have to buy their box or software to play their games.

I don’t know about friendly but it’s certainly more accessible.

I completely agree with OP. I am one of those customers that has no incentive to buy Xbox because if there's something out of Microsoft I want, there's not even a period exclusivity to console - it's immediately on PC day 1. Sure, it's great for people who want to play games wherever or on whatever platform they want, but I think it's bad business for a company trying to move proprietary hardware.

SenkiDala

If they didn’t release their games on PC day and date. Also they shouldn’t release their exclusives on gamepass day and date or gamepass should have never been a thought either.
I've to say I agree. Their console lost all their "value", if they were absolute leaders in console industry... They could try some shit like this, but as an eternal challenger, they shouldn't have done that. Because they make a LOT of gamers don't want Xbox as long as they have a PC, and once on PC they wanna buy games on PC, or GOG, or even EGS, but never on Windows Store... So they fuck themselves in the console field and in the PC field at the same time, nice performance.

Schmendrick

Let's be real, Microsoft hadn't and still don't have a choice but to be everywhere on everything and to subsidize services like GP if they want the Xbox brand to stay relevant at all.

Last edited:

SNG32

Let's be real, Microsoft hadn't and still don't have a choice but to be everywhere on everything and to subsidize services like GP if they want the Xbox brand to stay relevant at all.
They were selling their leading franchises in the millions Halo and gears when they were exclusive to the console or pc wasn’t day and date. I can tell you one thing I bet Gears 5 and Halo Infinite were probably the lowest selling games out the franchise and that’s with PC and Gamepass full in effect.

Microsoft been saying they need the install base to improve for gamepass. PC has too many alternatives to access there games day and date. You have steam, gog, gamepass and hell you can pirate the games too since Denuvo isn’t on a lot of there games.

Last edited:

John Wick

Xbox was failing even before this happened. With useless Phil Spencer taking over from Don Mattrick and making it much worse. It's the first time I've seen a guy fail with more money, resources and backing over his predecessor.

Top Bottom