• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let us calmly discuss the Monster Hunter 4chan rumor about PS4 and Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lelou

I feel like you're ignoring the logic I've presented in the last few posts about Capcom being unhappy with handheld market share in the west and wanting to be where the most action is, in this case consoles.

Then in your point of view, they decide to put their brand over on a high risk and high developing costs, just because they see a declining of their big revenue and small developing cost game??

Oersted

SFV bombed because it's a subpar product. This is something that not only Capcom has acknowledged but also the Tekken 7 director who made sure to avoid SFV's mistake in shipping a game with sweet fuck all in content.

And Tekken is multiplattform and not, as the bullshit rumor suggests, moneyhatted by Sony to avoid a certain plattform.

Btw, did that actually ever happen?

Kyoufu

And Tekken is multiplattform and not, as the bullshit rumor suggests, moneyhatted by Sony to avoid a certain plattform.

Btw, did that actually ever happen?

SFV is on two platforms, PS4 and PC. There are PS4 exclusives (just PS4, nothing else) that have sold way more than SFV has and this ranges from new IPs to established ones. Not releasing SFV on Xbox One isn't the main cause of poor sales in my opinion. There's just no content compared to every other fighting game on the market. If you can't attract casual players, then you're only going to sell to the hardcore crowd and that's exactly what happened with SFV.

Then in your point of view, they decide to put their brand over on a high risk and high developing costs, just because they see a declining of their big revenue and small developing cost game??

They've already got their domestic sales covered with the Switch games so yeah they'd take the risk to see if they can see growth internationally with a console version. It's a risk worth taking.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Timeline of events:

- Monster Hunter blows up on PSP with MHP2nd
- Blows up further with MHP2ndG, it's now selling in the millions
- Destroys everything in its path with MHP3rd selling 5 million. Capcom has ascended into Heaven
- Sony unveils the Vita, with Capcom on stage showing off how Monster Hunter plays better with a 2nd analogue stick
- SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKERS MH IS NOW ON 3DS, NO VITA VERSION IN DEVELOPMENT

Damn, that's fucked up but Capcom has a history of doing underhanded shit that vexes fans, ie RE4, DC3, etc being exclusive to other platforms and not coming to the platform and audience where they found success. In RE4 case it came much later, but Shinji Mikami trashed PS2 in the media around that time when they had the exclusivity contract with Nintendo for REmake, RE0 and RE4.

Oersted

SFV is on two platforms, PS4 and PC. There are PS4 exclusives (just PS4, nothing else) that have sold way more than SFV has and this ranges from new IPs to established ones. Not releasing SFV on Xbox One isn't the main cause of poor sales in my opinion. There's just no content compared to every other fighting game on the market. If you can't attract casual players, then you're only going to sell to the hardcore crowd and that's exactly what happened with SFV.

You didn't answer my question. And to repeat my point I repeated multiple times trough the crazy containing thread...:

I see no benefit in letting one of the big 3 hold your big IPs hostage. It limits your options drastically. I can see timed exclusive, making dead IPs possible... but agreeing to a contract which has the potential to severely damage one of your big IPs? Again?

I can see Capcom being dumb enough to send MH into the PS4 ghetto. And alienating their core base additionally with drastic changes of the games. But I don't see any proof.

Kyoufu

You didn't answer my question. And to repeat my point I repeated multiple times trough the crazy containing thread...:

I see no benefit in letting one of the big 3 hold your big IPs hostage. It limits your options drastically. I can see timed exclusive, making dead IPs possible... but agreeing to a contract which has the potential to severely damage one of your big IPs? Again?

I can see Capcom being dumb enough to send MH into the PS4 ghetto. And alienating their core base additionally with drastic changes of the games. But I don't see any proof.

Here's the thing though, they haven't made a deal that allows a certain platform holder, in this case Sony, to hold the IP as hostage.

MH is coming to Switch as well.

Oersted

Here's the thing though, they haven't made a deal that allows a certain platform holder, in this case Sony, to hold the IP as hostage.

MH is coming to Switch as well.

SF is also on Switch, just not the mainline entry. Bullshit rumor says Sony now specifically managed to hold MH5 just like SFV hostage

mh5_ps4-2.jpg

Lelou

They've already got their domestic sales covered with the Switch games so yeah they'd take the risk to see if they can see growth internationally with a console version. It's a risk worth taking.

Well, this.. is just wrong and make no sense.
If they want to cover their sales on a sure small risk console, they will choose THIS as the console for the main game.

And the high risk console for the spinoff/small budget game, not the opposite.

Probably i was expecting too much by a 4chan """""""leak""""""".

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
That is how negotiations work. And what is to prevent Nintendo from going to Bamco after this deal is announced (assuming it is real)?
First problem is time. I'm sure you know, games take time to develop. So the later Nintendo knows about the deal, the later they can react, that's why keeping it under wraps until closer to the game release makes sense.

Second, that's absolutely how this deals work. Sony had no idea of the MH/Nintendo deal, they were sure MH was going to be released on the VITA, and that announcement effectively killed the handheld. Sony was sure it was coming, they counted on it, VITA was designed as a MH handheld.

Did Sony know about the TR MS deal before it was announced? Or the Titanfall deal? Did Microsoft know about the SFV deal before the announcement? Did Nintendo know about Soul Calibur 3? The answer to all of those is a resounding NO.

Finally, in bizarro world, were we start from the base that the rumors are true, I would expect Nintendo to contact Capcom after the deal leaked, be more open about what the NX was and try to work another deal, like reviving the MHP brand and have the main team develop it.

But as you see, a substantial part of this deals is that the competition don't know about them, because if they do, they can react.

One thing is certain though, MH will be on Switch.

Lelou

First problem is time. I'm sure you know, games take time to develop. So the later Nintendo knows about the deal, the later they can react, that's why keeping it under wraps until closer to the game release makes sense.

Second, that's absolutely how this deals work. Sony had no idea of the MH/Nintendo deal, they were sure MH was going to be released on the VITA, and that announcement effectively killed the handheld. Sony was sure it was coming, they counted on it, VITA was designed as a MH handheld.

Did Sony know about the TR MS deal before it was announced? Or the Titanfall deal? Did Microsoft know about the SFV deal before the announcement? Did Nintendo know about Soul Calibur 3? The answer to all of those is a resounding NO.

Finally, in bizarro world, were we start from the base that the rumors are true, I would expect Nintendo to contact Capcom after the deal leaked, be more open about what the NX was and try to work another deal, like reviving the MHP brand and have the main team develop it.

But as you see, a substantial part of this deals is that the competition don't know about them, because if they do, they can react.

One thing is certain though, MH will be on Switch.

This make sense only if nintendo didn't care about monster hunter brand at all.
Ninty did a deal for X years for mh being on his consoles.
When the deal ends, nintendo HAS the opportunity to make a new deal.

They don't just sleep and see what's happen in the future

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming

PS4 ghetto? As it stands, PS4 is the better platform for MH5 rather than Switch because it's sold more consoles worldwide than the Switch. That would allow for greater market penetration and series growth on consoles and in more territories than Nintendo could offer. MH being identified as a mobile game is irrelevant because it'll still be on the 3ds and the Switch in an upgraded version of XX. Honestly I don't know why people are so opposed to the game hitting PS4. I think I'll take a wait and see approach before condemning a game we haven't played yet. Who knows how they'll implement qte's or if they will be there or even if the game exists.

I hope Capcom just creates something entirely new with Sony that has its own distinctive feel, mythos and atmosphere. I think Dragon's Dogma was a better investment but I guess it lacks the name of MH for Sony to try and court.

Kyoufu

SF is also on Switch, just not the mainline entry. Bullshit rumor says Sony now specifically managed to hold MH5 just like SFV hostage

mh5_ps4-2.jpg

Well, this.. is just wrong and make no sense.
If they want to cover their sales on a sure small risk console, they will choose THIS as the console for the main game.

And the high risk console for the spinoff/small budget game, not the opposite.

Probably i was expecting too much by a 4chan """""""leak""""""".

Okay, come on guys, if you've followed MH at all then you should know there's no difference between "main" and "spinoff" series. The best selling MH game is not MH1, MH2, MH3 or MH4. It's Monster Hunter Portable 3rd. According to this rumour, Switch is getting the Portable series.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter which version, Portable or the "main" series Switch gets, it'll sell millions domestically for Capcom.

Lelou

PS4 ghetto? As it stands, PS4 is the better platform for MH5 rather than Switch because it's sold more consoles worldwide than the Switch. That would allow for greater market penetration and series growth on consoles and in more territories than Nintendo could offer. MH being identified as a mobile game is irrelevant because it'll still be on the 3ds and the Switch in an upgraded version of XX. Honestly I don't know why people are so opposed to the game hitting PS4. I think I'll take a wait and see approach before condemning a game we haven't played yet. Who knows how they'll implement qte's or if they will be there or even if the game exists.

I hope Capcom just creates something entirely new with Sony that has its own distinctive feel, mythos and atmosphere. I think Dragon's Dogma was a better investment but I guess it lacks the name of MH for Sony to try and court.

Number of console in the market count 0 if the fan of the brand are bounded on another console/market.

And the deal with nintendo born when 3ds was still a weak console in the market, then this don't count as an example.

Lose the number safe buyers over a big userbase of people that probably never even see this game in their life, is a risky bet that capcom can't manage in my opinion.

Lelou

Okay, come on guys, if you've followed MH at all then you should know there's no difference between "main" and "spinoff" series. The best selling MH game is not MH1, MH2, MH3 or MH4. It's Monster Hunter Portable 3rd. According to this rumour, Switch is getting the Portable series.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter which version, Portable or the "main" series Switch gets, it'll sell millions domestically for Capcom.

We are not talking about all be happy togheter if play4 and switch get a mh.

We are talking about this leak that make 0 sense on a economic/moves standpoint over the last 10 years of this brand has developed.

Oersted

Yes, PS4 ghetto. Monster Hunter is traditionally not big on home consoles, PS4 does not offer what made Monster Hunter big, PS4 is not big in Japan and they would have to avoid Switch according to the nonsense rumor. That makes PS4 a ghetto for Monster Hunter.
They would be hindering their IP for the unlikely chance it takes off in the west.

You know Monster Hunter 4 is on 3DS, right? You do know 3DS is rather portable, right?

Oregano

I feel there is a key difference though. The Portable games on PSP looked and mostly played the same as the home console versions, for the most part they were just ports.

This rumour would point to two entirely divergent series, one of which would get a massively disproportionate investment.

Kyoufu

We are not talking about all be happy togheter if play4 and switch get a mh.

We are talking about this leak that make 0 sense on a economic/moves standpoint over the last 10 years of this brand has developed.

This rumour is about Capcom's desire to see growth in the western market on consoles which are the popular dedicated video game systems in the west.

Passose

Banned
Idk about you guys, but after MHXX got announced for switch, even if it's just a 3ds port and not counting the 4chan rumors, then series even has more chances of becoming a switch exclusive than being a multi plat series, but that's just my opinion lol

Oregano

Idk about you guys, but after MHXX got announced for switch, even if it's just a 3ds port and not counting the 4chan rumors, then series even has more chances of becoming a switch exclusive than being a multi plat series, but that's just my opinion lol

I don't think I'd agree with that but it's peculiar that MHXX isn't being released on PS4 if the next mainline game is supposed to be.

Resident Evil Revelations is getting a PS4 version so it's not like they're afraid to port PS4 games.

Lelou

PS4 dwarfs Switch in install base. Come on son.

If It was a matter of install base they was never put MH on psp, over choosing DS.

If It was a matter of install base they was never put it on 3ds (when they decide it, 3ds was the weakest console on the market)

I think people are really thinking about this rumour in the wrong way. Firstly, a lot of people seem to be ignoring the fact that the Switch is STILL getting a MH game and will get MH games in the future. The rumour states as much expressly.

This new MH, whether it's PS4 only or on XB1/PC as well will be an experiment, and will be made to supplement the current market saturation that the series is going through in Japan. There is no room for the franchise to grow over there and most likely it will start seeing declines at this rate. There is nothing more for Capcom to do other than experiment and seek growth elsewhere. That is where this new game comes in. You cannot create growth without taking risks. Some of you need to see the wood for the trees.

If this experiment fails, it fails and they will still have a steady base of millions in Japan to keep the franchise afloat. If it pays off then even better. We just don't know. But you're being extremely naive if you think all Capcom needs to do to both create growth in the west AND retain their grip on the Japanese market is to just keep releasing the games as they are but on the Switch. That logic is just as bad as the people wanting a fully westernised, Horizon-esque "Monster Hunter" exclusively for PS4.

Oersted

I think people are really thinking about this rumour in the wrong way. Firstly, a lot of people seem to be ignoring the fact that the Switch is STILL getting a MH game and will get MH games in the future. The rumour states as much expressly.

This new MH, whether it's PS4 only or on XB1/PC as well will be an experiment, and will be made to supplement the current market saturation that the series is going through in Japan. There is no room for the franchise to grow over there and most likely it will start seeing declines at this rate. There is nothing more for Capcom to do other than experiment and seek growth elsewhere. That is where this new game comes. You cannot create growth without taking risks. Some of you need to see the wood for the trees.

If this experiment fails, it fails and they will still have a steady base of millions in Japan to keep the franchise afloat. If it pays off then even better. We just don't know.

They experiment with their spinoffs. Rumor suggests they experiment with the next main entry. Thats a huge risk.

Kyoufu

I don't think I'd agree with that but it's peculiar that MHXX isn't being released on PS4 if the next mainline game is supposed to be.

Resident Evil Revelations is getting a PS4 version so it's not like they're afraid to port PS4 games.

If they port MHXX to PS4 tomorrow, it'd put just about everyone off because it looks like dog shit visually even on Switch.

It's also really clunky in terms of QoL features, so I don't think it'd be received well by potential new fans who have never played MH before.

Passose

Banned

This new MH, whether it's PS4 only or on XB1/PC as well will be an experiment, and will be made to supplement the current market saturation that the series is going through in Japan. There is no room for the franchise to grow over there and most likely it will start seeing declines at this rate. There is nothing more for Capcom to do other than experiment and seek growth elsewhere. That is where this new game comes. You cannot create growth without taking risks. Some of you need to see the wood for the trees.

If this experiment fails, it fails and they will still have a steady base of millions in Japan to keep the franchise afloat. If it pays off then even better. We just don't know.
then why slapping the name MH5 onto it if it's just an experimental game, that just takes too much risks, it's pretty unlikely for capcom to do something like that, even if they were offered a big chunk of money by a platform holder

That neither guarantees success for every single game nor makes guaranteeing by contract to avoid another plattform sensical. And it would alienate lots of fans.
Whether it is a success or a failure is a separate issue.

If the goal is to expand the audience, PS4 is the best place to possibly make that happen.

Edit - I also think that contract to keep away Switch is nonsense. The only reason it wouldn't come to Switch is if Switch can't handle the game. PS4 would presumably be the base for the game.

Lelou

I greatly accept this statment, more than the ones seen before.
But why change a game, risking the whole brand and changing all the CORE mechanincs, putting a 5 on the end of it, when you can make just a new game ?

I don't get it.
How like mh already buy mh on west.
How don't know about it, probably don't care about his name.

Even if they wanted to keep the name for a matter of "popularity", they could put it as a spinoff, making all the moves less risky..

atr0cious

This new MH, whether it's PS4 only or on XB1/PC as well will be an experiment, and will be made to supplement the current market saturation that the series is going through in Japan. There is no room for the franchise to grow over there and most likely it will start seeing declines at this rate. There is nothing more for Capcom to do other than experiment and seek growth elsewhere. That is where this new game comes in. You cannot create growth without taking risks. Some of you need to see the wood for the trees.

If this experiment fails, it fails and they will still have a steady base of millions in Japan to keep the franchise afloat. If it pays off then even better. We just don't know. But you're being extremely naive if you think all Capcom needs to do to both create growth in the west AND retain their grip on the Japanese market is to just keep releasing the games as they are but on the Switch. That logic is just as bad as the people wanting a fully westernised, Horizon-esque "Monster Hunter" exclusively for PS4.
You make it seem like this was Capcom's idea, when the rumor makes it seem like Sony came to Capcom. Are we to believe Capcom would cut themselves out of platforms, especially their most lucrative IP on its best platform? Capcom would definitely hit up Nintendo if this "experiment" was their idea, it's why MH Stories exists.

rhandino

Banned
then why slapping the name MH5 onto it if it's just an experimental game, that just takes too much risks, it's pretty unlikely for capcom to do something like that, even if they were offered a big chunk of money by a platform holder
I have a feeling they are not going to name it 5

I mean, it would make sense since MonHun has not been on a home console in YEARS and they could be treating this new, experimental entry like some kind of soft reboot for the series (hence the emphasis on old and recognizable monsters, lower weapon count, etc...)

Like, we all know it's going to be MonHun5 but in a way that the new audience don't feel alienated to get into a series that is already on his fifth installment.

Oregano

Okay but the still less risky move is to make MH5, streamline where it makes sense without diverging from the core of the series and release it multiplatform. That will always make sense to me.

If they port MHXX to PS4 tomorrow, it'd put just about everyone off because it looks like dog shit visually even on Switch.

It's also really clunky in terms of QoL features, so I don't think it'd be received well by potential new fans who have never played MH before.

Okay but as I said they clearly have no issue porting 3DS games to PS4. They also had no issue with releasing Portable 3rd on PS3.

It would be odd for the PS4 to be the first platform to receive a mainline game with no groundwork laid though, especially if it's PS4 exclusive.

Kyoufu

Okay but as I said they clearly have no issue porting 3DS games to PS4. They also had no issue with releasing Portable 3rd on PS3.

It would be odd for the PS4 to be the first platform to receive a mainline game with no groundwork laid though, especially if it's PS4 exclusive.

But the goal is to bring in new fans with a westernised game as their attempt.

Why port a 3DS game if MH5 is not going to play or look anything like it?

Also please don't mention MHP3rd on PS3. That shit was so lazy that it put a fan like me off the game. :D

sn00zer

Okay but the still less risky move is to make MH5, streamline where it makes sense without diverging from the core of the series and release it multiplatform. That will always make sense to me.
If MH5 was a 3DS port to Switch and PS4 it would a weird one to market since it would be too small and or not as graphically capable to compete with PS4 titles, but would be too big to market in the indie space. Which to me would theow it in the $30/40 where it will compete with recent games that dropped in price and new titles like Ratchet and Clank which are in a sort of AA space.

Oregano

But the goal is to bring in new fans with a westernised game as their attempt.

Why port a 3DS game if MH5 is not going to play or look anything like it?

Also please don't mention MHP3rd on PS3. That shit was so lazy that it put a fan like me off the game. :D

You ideally want to keep existing fans as well as gaining new fans. Releasing a game on the hardware is a signal for those fans to move over. Thats been SOP for Capcom and it's also been heavily practiced in Japan when trying to get Vita fans to invest in PS4.

If it's divergent enough for them to want to pretend the old games don't exist to that audience it's an issue.

Resident Evil 7 was a massive departure but they still saw fit to re-release 4,5 and 6.

They could definitely forgo it but it would be unusual to me.

Edit: Note I'm not just talking Japanese fans here either. There's a million or so people invested in the current games in the West.

I have a feeling they are not going to name it 5

I mean, it would make sense since MonHun has not been on a home console in YEARS and they could be treating this new, experimental entry like some kind of soft reboot for the series (hence the emphasis on old and recognizable monsters, lower weapon count, etc...)

Like, we all know it's going to be MonHun5 but in a way that the new audience don't feel alienated to get into a series that is already on his fifth installment.
Agreed, I don't think it will be called MH5 either. It will be akin to some of the stuff we have seen in this gen (Infamous Second Son, God of War, etc...). A reintroduction of sorts.

wildfire

Banned
PS4 ghetto? As it stands, PS4 is the better platform for MH5 rather than Switch because it's sold more consoles worldwide than the Switch. That would allow for greater market penetration and series growth on consoles and in more territories than Nintendo could offer. MH being identified as a mobile game is irrelevant because it'll still be on the 3ds and the Switch in an upgraded version of XX. Honestly I don't know why people are so opposed to the game hitting PS4.

Like 1 or 2 people are opposed to MH going to the PS4. What people oppose are changing the game mechanics and that's a legit reason to be concerned. The greater emphasis on QTE's considering the history of QTE gameplay is deserving of derision. Stop being a sophist about what QTE's traditionally means.

I also argue that QTE's can be good but I never argue in poor faith like you do that QTE's haven't done anything to deserve this initial negative criticisms.

Demoli

Timeline of events:

- Monster Hunter blows up on PSP with MHP2nd
- Blows up further with MHP2ndG, it's now selling in the millions
- Destroys everything in its path with MHP3rd selling 5 million. Capcom has ascended into Heaven
- Sony unveils the Vita, with Capcom on stage showing off how Monster Hunter plays better with a 2nd analogue stick
- SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKERS MH IS NOW ON 3DS, NO VITA VERSION IN DEVELOPMENT

This timeline is also missing Tri doing quite well in the west and the whole P3rdHD debacle.

Oersted

Are you going to provide an argument for why going to PS4 for western growth is not convincing? Or are you just going to say it doesn't make sense because you don't want it to happen?

I made the argument multiple times troughout this thread. You only would need to read . It would alienate a big chunk of their japanese base, which is still the mainmarket. Guaranteeing by contract to avoid Switch harms options if it doesn't take off on PS4. PS4 does not offer what MH made so popular.

I made the argument multiple times troughout this thread. You only would need to read . It would alienate a big chunk of their japanese base, which is still the mainmarket. Guaranteeing by contract to avoid Switch harms options if it doesn't take off on PS4. PS4 does not offer what MH made so popular.
I'm not reading through a 25 page thread lol. A quick summary like the one you just provided covers it though.

-It won't alienate the Japanese base because they are not giving up on the Japanese market. The goal is to expand west, not cut off what they already have.
-The contract is bull. I also think if Switch doesn't get this new MH, it will get a MH of its own down the road.
-I don't know what that last part means.

Kyoufu

This timeline is also missing Tri doing quite well in the west and the whole P3rdHD debacle.

That timeline is just Japan so I left out the rest.

If we're to include the western shenanigans then the whole Nintendo deal makes a lot more sense.

And in turn, MH5 on PS4 would make sense if their goal is the same: growth overseas.

KHlover

Banned
The install base argument doesn't really seem convincing to me. MH4U on the 3DS handily outsold MH Tri in the west (and in general), which had a much, much larger potential userbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom