• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's guess the Oculus Rift price and reaction to said price

border

They said that a VR headset plus a capable PC would cost no more than $1500.....what is the cheapest price on a PC fit for Oculus? An OEM PC.....not a "I bought a bunch of parts from 3 different online vendors and put them together" PC.

I think the $599-$699 estimates are a bit too high, since that would only leave you with a $800-$900 budget for the computer.

kadotsu

Banned
How many PC gamers do even have a VR ready PC. Looking at the Steam hardware survey around 10% seem to have the GPU required (based on VRAM). I know this is very much the ultra enthusiast phase for VR but we shouldn't discount the PC upgrade cost that comes with VR. If you are willing to drop $350 on a new GPU you will also be willing to get the device for $500.

Shenmue

Banned
They said that a VR headset plus a capable PC would cost no more than $1500.....what is the cheapest you can purchase a PC fit for Oculus? An OEM PC.....not a "I bought a bunch of parts from 3 different only vendors and put them together" PC.

I think the $599-$699 estimates are a bit too high, since that would only leave you with a $800-$900 budget for the computer.

It's possible I built my pc with a i7-4790k and 980 for just under 800.

I'd be surprised if it was more than $500. I'm half expecting a price of $400.

Reactions will be interesting once PSVR, Rift, and Vive Pre all have their prices stated. For tomorrow, however, I'm expecting a lot of "huh, that's not so bad" with a dabble of "still too much".

TheFatOne

Yes, just like HD T.V.'s were DOA for mass market when they started out. Vr is doomed....

Wait.

It's going to be a long while before the mass market adopts it. It's 499$ plus another 1000$ to build a machine capable of running it. It's all but certain this thing won't get the mass appeal for a while. Version one is doa to the mass market. Not doomed, but the first one out of the gate is going no where.

Steel

Banned
and yet they still failed

And yet they're completely different products with completely different pricing and marketing tactics that did make a lot of money in the short term.

It's going to be a long while before the mass market adopts it. It's 499$ plus another 1000$ to build a machine capable of running it. It's all but certain this thing won't get the mass appeal for a while. Version one is doa to the mass market. Not doomed, but the first one out of the gate is going no where.

I know that. Plasma T.V.'s weren't mass market out of the gate, either. Price goes down over time.

Jarmel

Banned
I do expect the reaction to be overwhelmingly negative if it's above $500 though as that's starting to approach top end monitor price.

If it's above $700 then it's DOA.

Skenzin

Banned
Expecting $499, can accept $599, will be happier at $399. Up above $599 I'm happy to sit it out until the Pascal and software situation become clearer and reevaluate hmds then.

Going first has a lot of rewards and risk. They've obviously locked in a price a while ago but are maintaining flexibility in case of any vive surprises. I really think $499 is a safe place.

Aurongel

$599

Meltdowns on GAF and everywhere else, gifs will be made. It will become the new FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE US DOLLARS.

Tyl3n0L85

Neo Member

I think we can safely assume the first few shipments will sold out rather quickly. The hype is definitely there and people been waiting years for proper VR. It'll be a wait and see game for me and see how VR is in a couple of years from now. However if they want it to succeed the demand has to be pretty damn high and steady for a while to eventually bring the price down and bring it to mass market.

border

It's possible I built my pc with a i7-4790k and 980 for just under 800.

I think/hope Luckey was talking about actual, off-the-shelf PCs though. He's doubled down on that statement as well recently.....he is going to get strung up if he tries to pull some nonsense saying "Well, if you build it yourself it might be less than $1500".

If they are smart, one of their announcements will be "Here is the Oculus, and here is an Oculus-Ready PC that costs $899".

Steel

Banned
I think/hope Luckey was talking about actual, off-the-shelf PCs though. He's doubled down on that statement as well recently.....he is going to get strung up if he tries to pull some nonsense saying "Well, if you build it yourself it might be less than $1500".

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/oculus-ready-pcs/

The site links to three prebuilt occulus PCs all priced at 1k(though visting the Alienware link shows that PC to cost 1.2k). With that, I'd be surprised if it's over $500,

The more I think about it, the higher the price gets in my mind. Right now I'm anticipating $599 to be the number tomorrow. PS3 memes will flow like it's the Summer of '06.

$649.99

Reaction
90Eb.jpg

low-G

I'm starting to think it'll be $400 again. The reaction completely depends on the price though.

$400 or lower: No one flips their shit too much. VR sells reasonably at first, and better later on.

$500: Many shits flipped. Serious reaction on Internet. Palmer Luckey has to tweet a lot. Reddit AMA goes sketchily. PSVR outsells Oculus by 20 times or more.

$600+: Total fucking meltdown everyone. Oculus a complete joke. DOA.

Dracil

Pc players already pay like $800 for a graphics card. Not sure why price all of a sudden matters to them.

A very tiny percentage of PC players pay $800 for a graphics card.

I don't think I've ever spent more than around $350 ever, and that's on a higher end. And I'm probably the only guy right now in my mid-sized tech company that has an Oculus-ready PC though a couple more are probably upgrading within a year.

Everything: $550

Reaction from people who have been following the carnival since the Fall 2012 Kickstarter/ Carmack Ducktape Prototype/before that on the niche vr forums: Fucking take my money, IDGAF

Reaction from looky - loos who dun kno 'nuthin are the uninformed : EW NO BOMBA 2016

Reaction from reasonable people: Expected / Understandable. Wish it was cheaper. Take my money.

Me: Why the fuck are you opening this shit at 10am when I'm at work away from a computer goddamn it?

WarpathDC

$424.99, later in 2016 $499 when/if bundled with the touch controllers

$74.99 for the touch if no games/apps bundled. More likely $99 with a game and a interactive app or two bundled.

$500 USD seems to be the popular opinion but with DK1 and 2 at 350 and Luckey saying today the controller adds basically no cost to them (MS likely pushing their brand further into the VR and PC market w/ a generous subsidy) I'm thinking we may be in for a pleasant surprise. He keeps saying they are using some subsidy, but he also keeps tweeting about early adopters paving the way for eventually cheaper HMDs

it will be 599 lol

$650, although I wouldn't be surprised to see it higher honestly.

The pre-orders will still sell out though, and probably almost immediately thanks to them not putting the price up days in advance.

Still, I expect this will start the inevitable backlash of the tech.

bluexy

I've been so confident in that $500 or less price point up until this morning. The $1500 for complete package quote, Palmer's unending comments regarding just how heavily subsidized the damn things will be.

And then they gave away free headsets to all Kickstarter backers.

As heavily as Oculus and Facebook will be subsidizing these headsets, giving away a product which Luckey has said should rightly cost $1000 to make a profit on is absurd. They're giving them to Kickstarter backers for a reason -- to ensure the biggest supporters of Oculus continue to be so going forward.

But it also implies that they're not confident all of those backers would otherwise have bought in on CV1. Which if the headset was $300-400, or even up to $500 doesn't make much sense. With those who Oculus considers their most core supporters taken care of, I'm persuaded they'll charge more than expected to the general consumer.

There's also that comment from Palmer insinuating that they aren't sure they'll sell out of their initial supply of headsets. Again, from what I've seen anything $500 or less is almost certain to sell like hot cakes.

No, I'm now in the $600 camp. I'd love to be surprised though.

WarpathDC

Australia/New Zealand: $9000 + $100 shipping. (excl. GST)

I laughed. Poor Kiwis and Aussies. I have good friends from there that love it there but don't want to go home when they see new releases at BB two weeks later here in the US at 39USD (or 31.99 with GCU)

Bsigg12

$499. If they're feeling saucy, $399.

They said that a VR headset plus a capable PC would cost no more than $1500.....what is the cheapest price on a PC fit for Oculus? An OEM PC.....not a "I bought a bunch of parts from 3 different online vendors and put them together" PC.

The lowest "Rift Ready" PC linked from the Oculus site starts at $949.

WarpathDC

Tried to take my itouch to work to see if I could login to guest wifi today. No Dice. Defo not using a "External Access only" comp. 2 weird 4 me.

I tried the OR site on my work PC today and no corporate firewall yay. Problem is my office is a 7 min walk from my meeting. RUN RUN RUN

$700

Mass freakout about them not understanding consumers, how stupid it is, and claims of mass market suicide by everyone who thought they were getting a $400 to play their games with.

The first page of the GAF thread will be filled with one liners like "WTF", "DOA", and "Holy Shit" aming other drive by posts it won't be until the second or third page actual discussion will start.

A few people will jump in and argue that the intent was to get the hardware in enthusiast hands first but people will drown them out saying that "in order for VR to survive it needs mass market appeal"

Dozens will cite the dev kit price as proof that they are right and it should be lower none of them understanding that in order for it to be a lower price that something will have to be compromised just like it was I'm the dev kits and their intent was to get the headset out and use the high end enthusiast money to create lower cost manufacturing and research more efficient parts.

Mark my post and refer back to it tomorrow.

I thing 550-650 but the rest of your post was like reading the future. VR threads on GAF are sad in general.

Top Bottom