• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's guess the Oculus Rift price and reaction to said price

Vex_

Banned
$399 - PSVR
$549 - Rift
$649 - HTC Vive
$150 - Oculus touch + extra camera

No way. We are talking about console prices on a product that requires another product to work.

This is also why I fear 3d will fail. That entry price. They need to make sure it is nowhere near a half grand. The number looks WAY TOO big for what you are getting.

EVIL

No way. We are talking about console prices on a product that requires another product to work.

This is also why I fear 3d will fail. That entry price. They need to make sure it is nowhere near a half grand. The number looks WAY TOO big for what you are getting.

Sony pretty much said it will cost as much as a console. People will still buy it because Sony looks like the only ones actually focusing on interesting content, instead of having you buy an expensive paper weight

Haemi

I think somewhere between 400 and 500€.
But I won't pay more than 450€.
Why bundle it with a controller and two games? Isn't this stuff only making it more expensive.

deadfolk

Sony pretty much said it will cost as much as a console. People will still buy it because Sony looks like the only ones actually focusing on interesting content, instead of having you buy an expensive paper weight

I read somewhere on Gaf that the Sony quote was misunderstood.

What he said was that they were 'pricing it as a platform', which people took to mean that it was going to cost as much as a console. What he apparently meant was that it's being sold at a loss, in order to make money from the games...like a platform/console.

It will still probably cost as much as a console, imo.

My guess for the rift, btw, is $549/€549/£449.

Hoping for less, obv.

DavidDesu

They said a platform. As the person before said this means selling at cost or maybe even a loss knowing they'll make it up with X amount of software sales. I think people are underestimating Sony's strategy with PSVR. They know if they make this work and get a headstart they can secure their place at the heart of the VR going forward, consumer mindshare and so on. That could be lucrative. They priced PS4 under many's expectations. I think they will repeat that. I also look at the actual hardware they're bringing and it doesn't amount to an entire PS4 in terms of complexity and hardware cost. BOM easily half that of PS4 and probably even less than that.

cheezcake

You're getting a compact high resolution screen, complex optics, motion tracking and brand new highly niche hardware.

VR isn't just a gaming peripheral, it's a new computing platform. That said if it's not worth it to you that's pretty reasonable, I'd say anything up to $600 USD would be worth it to me for Rift specs, and $800 for Vive specs. Whether I and others can afford that is a different question.

Vex_

Banned
You're getting a compact high resolution screen, complex optics, motion tracking and brand new highly niche hardware.

VR isn't just a gaming peripheral, it's a new computing platform. That said if it's not worth it to you that's pretty reasonable, I'd say anything up to $600 USD would be worth it to me for Rift specs, and $800 for Vive specs. Whether I and others can afford that is a different question.

I mean... Like damn. When I see those numbers, my knees get weak. I start sweating, and I go pale.

Is there gonna be any software available at launch (other than the obvious tech demos/free apps?). I know most older games can be patched, but.... For all that money, there had better be some new experiences...

cheezcake

I mean... Like damn. When I see those numbers, my knees get weak. I start sweating, and I go pale.

Is there gonna be any software available at launch (other than the obvious tech demos/free apps?). I know most older games can be patched, but.... For all that money, there had better be some new experiences...

Rift and PSVR seem to both have solid launch lineups, the rift subreddit has a list of game releases at and near CV launch. 60 is the current count, these are full games only as well. Tech demos and prototypes not included. That said a lot of those games aren't really things most people are going to be interested in, if we're talking big games then there's still a decent list. EvE: Valkyrie, Luckeys Tale, Ethan Carter, Minecraft, The Climb and a bunch of racing games and flight simulators.

EVIL

I read somewhere on Gaf that the Sony quote was misunderstood.

What he said was that they were 'pricing it as a platform', which people took to mean that it was going to cost as much as a console. What he apparently meant was that it's being sold at a loss, in order to make money from the games...like a platform/console.

It will still probably cost as much as a console, imo.

My guess for the rift, btw, is $549/€549/£449.

Hoping for less, obv.

ahh right, still I think its going to cost 399, looking at the hardware specs of the HMD. less than the high end PC headsets, still advanced enough to not sell at 299

This is what I'm expecting too.

$399 - PSVR
$549 - Rift
$649 - HTC Vive

Vive will be significantly more expensive than PSVR/Oculus. From what I understand HTC/Valve aim to sell it as a "premium" product. Unlike PSVR/Oculus it will also probably not be subsidized since HTC is in deep shit and probably will want to make profit on the thing.

I'm just going to say $699.

Just because I doubt it will be a price that makes us happy.

Reaction?

GAF will be loaded with "Is VR dead?" Threads, all hope will shift to PSVR. That will be the same price. VR dream dies. Kinect comes back and destroys everything. Project Milo is the only game available.

Ovek

7Member7
The UK price I'm gonna say about £450 an then get destroyed for delivery pushing it up to around the £500 mark.

So I really don't think is going to be cheap.. at all.

pastrami

$249 - Boom! People are truly shocked. Oculus/Facebook are selling the HMD at a loss.

I don't think Facebook spent $2 billion buying Oculus to sell the hardware at loss. At best, I can see them sticking by their word and selling at cost.

$399 - PSVR
$549 - Rift
$649 - HTC Vive

How the Rift + Touch is going to be $700 (hmd + 1 camera, 2 hand devices, extra camera) and the Vive is going to be $650 (hmd + 2 lighthouse + 2 hand devices). As much, they will have the same price, and that's not considering Facebook can sell it at $0 initial profit and HTC can't.

ekim

I don't think Facebook spent $2 billion buying Oculus to sell the hardware at loss. At best, I can see them sticking by their word and selling at cost.

I was just trying to hit a price that wasn't mentioned before. My realistic guess is $479

ekim

I wonder though, how they were able to sell the DK2 at a way lower price? Is this due to the inferior display? I would have guessed, that mass producing also pushed the price down.

Fishlake

I'll go with $550.

I really don't know what the reaction will be. I'll go with sadness for some and relief for others who expected more.

LordCanti

I think it'll be $499 judging by those tweets from a week or two ago. They're selling it for cost according to them so I can only imagine that the reaction will be "Wow, that seems expensive" followed by "Wow that seems cheap" when the unsubsidized Vive is revealed to be $650+

I wonder though, how they were able to sell the DK2 at a way lower price? Is this due to the inferior display? I would have guessed, that mass producing also pushed the price down.

There was a lot of off the shelf stuff in DK2 IIRC. By comparison CV1 has two screens, custom fabric where it touches your face, custom lenses, audio capability, a fancier camera for tracking, etc.

Grinchy

Banned
Wow, these prices sound high to me. I guess I won't VR until the improved units come out a year or two later and these end up in the bargain bin.

woen

Likely between 400 and 500 $/€.

VR is dead to me on console but it might have a future on the PC with high-end material, and maybe with low-cost alternative on smartphones/tablets/etc.

I heard Occlus puts a great effort into creating a model that doesn't trap them into the "Kinect anti-model" : you don't have games and so you don't exist as a functional concept, therefore people don't buy you and developers/investors don't believe you are a market where money can be made or where people will like to play your games. They need to win over this. If they can find other applications (->markets) to their products (movies, tourist experiences, idk) then they'll be able to overcome this major issue. So while I'm not as pessimistic as everyone seems to be here, I still believe it will be hard not to turn this into a four (french word for massive flop).

$399 + tax or $499 + tax

Don't think they will go over $500 unless they offer like a game bundle or subscription plan of some kind

It'll sell out but will restock the next day , and the next day , and the next day

rockx4

$499 would be reasonable. I'd be willing to go up to $700 depending on the announced games. I paid $650 for my gsync, so anything around that would be fine if the games are there.

Top Bottom