• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's guess the Oculus Rift price and reaction to said price

bitbydeath

Gold Member
$699

tumblr_nken3nF6Tg1tszwcio1_500.gif

Mark Zuckerberg subsidizes entire project from money he found in couch cushions = $199 "sweet spot" for everyone.

Then we wake up to reality: $599

I'd be shocked if it's less than $600, which means it's essentially DOA as a mass-market device, will occupy niche status for the first iteration or two. Which is probably all they realistically expect until economies of scale kick in over the next few years. My hope is VR will catch on big time, but for that our only real hope in the near term is a cheaper solution like PSVR.

Man

$479.

It will turn quite a few people off with questions raised about "where's the big AAA killer app" and it being a fragmented launch with Touch launching in fall. But I expect it to be a Solid success overall with 2.5 million sold before end of year. I expect people to rave about the experience on launch day. The GearVR launch has been surprisingly decent software wise. The lack of real 3D input for 6+ months will hurt, especially when competition arrives in Q2.

RibMan

Expecting $499.99 for the Rift. $499.99 is expensive but not too expensive, so I would imagine the reactions would be a mix of indifference and expectance. Of course, if it's < $499.99 then the reactions will be positive. If it's > $499.99 then the reactions will mostly center around Oculus 'dropping the ball'.

The wild card in all of this is the price on the Vive. If the Vive is revealed to cost significantly less than the Rift, then people will want to know why the Rift costs much higher than the competition. If the Vive is revealed to cost significantly more than the Rift, then people will want to support the Rift twice as much.

Thrakier

Expecting $499.99 for the Rift. $499.99 is expensive but not too expensive, so I would imagine the reactions would be a mix of indifference and expectance. Of course, if it's < $499.99 then the reactions will be positive. If it's > $499.99 then the reactions will mostly center around Oculus 'dropping the ball'.

The wild card in all of this is the price on the Vive. If the Vive is revealed to cost significantly less than the Rift, then people will want to know why the Rift costs much higher than the competition. If the Vive is revealed to cost significantly more than the Rift, then people will want to support the Rift twice as much.

There is simply no chance Vive will be cheaper with all the addtional hardware and features. If anything, it will be significantly pricier.

spekkeh

Banned
I'm guessing €559.

Reactions will be split between "LOL, DOA, 559 euro Facebook machine glued to your face" and "bigger jump than 2D to 3D, you peasants don't understand, cures cancer" about 70/30.

I'mma bet in GBP: £400.

Reaction here will be mostly 'BOMBA'.

TBH I just want a finished headset to plug into Unity 5 - the games are a bonus.

RibMan

There is simply no chance Vive will be cheaper with all the addtional hardware and features. If anything, it will be significantly pricier.

I don't know. I think Valve's involvement in the Vive could extend to cost-reduction support. If Valve views SteamVR as the next chapter in Steam, then I would imagine they would do everything in their power to make the Vive a success. With that in mind, if Valve can help subsidize the cost(s), I think they'll do it.

Bsigg12

I don't know. I think Valve's involvement in the Vive could extend to cost-reduction support. If Valve views SteamVR as the next chapter in Steam, then I would imagine they would do everything in their power to make the Vive a success. With that in mind, if Valve can help subsidize the cost(s), I think they'll do it.

HTC has been very adamant that they want to make the most premium VR kit available and it'll be reflected in the price. HTC isn't a company that can really afford to sell something at cost like Oculus can.

Markoman

Yep, I'm also guessing 599,-€.

WAIT! Hold on. There's an interesting point about VR on PC.
Let's say VR takes off and is totally cool. Not every PC gamer will be able to afford VR.
So we will have two factions on PC under the master race banner: those with VR and those without. This is not acceptable!

--> We will have to change our vocabulary in the future!!!!!!
PC VR gamer: master race
Console gamer: peasant
PC: ?????

Amirite?

Yep, I'm also guessing 599,-€.

WAIT! Hold on. There's an interesting point about VR on PC.
Let's say VR takes off and is totally cool. Not every PC gamer will be able to afford VR.
So we will have two factions on PC under the master race banner: those with VR and those without. This is not acceptable!

--> We will have to change our vocabulary in the future!!!!!!
PC VR gamer: master race
Console gamer: peasant
PC: ?????

Amirite?

Because PSVR is not a thing right?

UrbanRats

They said 1500€ for Oculus + PC to run it, right? "Oculus ready" PCs start at 999€, so it'll be 500€, or 499€ to be precise.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Was the original ballpark 300?

Given the addition of the camera, and the adding of the two games, (and the warnings) I'm guessing 399 to 499. I think even 100 over the original ballpark would be enough for them to fret a bit about the cost and to try and offset with value-adds, so I don't think that those more recent developments necessarily point to a super high pricepoint.

I'm kind of also hoping that maybe it was all elaborate expectation management so that they can 'surprise' with a lower than expected price (e.g. in the 399 range). But I know that's probably wishful thinking.

In terms of reaction, I think 399 would be well digested. 499 would probably attract a degree of skepticism wrt adoption and how shallow a curve there might be in the short to mid term. Don't wanna think about more than that.

VICI0US

$399-$450.

dev kits were $350, considering the consumer version comes with controllers/games and upgraded displays I can see it costing a bit more.

RibMan

HTC has been very adamant that they want to make the most premium VR kit available and it'll be reflected in the price. HTC isn't a company that can really afford to sell something at cost like Oculus can.

That's true. I'm going to assume HTC and Valve will do everything in their power to make a high-end kit and remain competitive. I don't think HTC would be foolish enough to assume that the cost of the headset won't be a big deciding factor for purchases and purchase intent for the Vive.

StuffRuff

£399/€399/$449

I think at those price points there might be some traction but its still a lot of money to find for what is an accessory. I guess some people wouldn't think twice about dropping that much on say a nice G Sync Monitor and they are both just visual playback devices.

MaxiLive

$499 which I'm guessing will be £479 is my guess.

I'm guessing a pair of touch controllers will be $150 (£130) when they hit.

Thoraxes

I'm thinking probably at least $500.

Which would put it into a "I'll probably buy it for a Christmas present to myself next winter" territory for me.

cheezcake

599$ and the mainstream will laugh while walking away

Mainstream acceptance of 1st gen VR is an absolutely unrealistic goal. Every company building a VR headset right now realise that, that's why they're not even attempting to go for it.

It's a brand new computing platform, don't get why anyone thinks it needs to sell gangbusters to be successful.

dumbo

I'll go with $500, and I think everyone knows the response (I'm not sure the $ value actually matters):
- some people will think it's terrible, lol, DOA.
- some people will think it's amazing, great, perfect.

Although, for the future of VR, the 'big deal' will be the PSVR launch. That's when Joe Public (who doesn't have a gaming PC, and doesn't want to spend umpteen hours configuring things) can experience VR.

DavidDesu

$500 just seems like a relative sweet spot, although not including Touch might meannit should really be less to cover factoring in the cost of those later on, and I presume almost everyone getting a Rift will want them eventually. Maybe $450.

I'm getting PSVR and whatever price Oculus does I expect PSVR to majorly undercut it. Just because I don't see the costs being that high for Sony, an experienced hardware company with all of their experience and resources at their disposal, and perhaps a more airtight way to make money from their closed system, licensing costs etc, vs Rift which will have an open PC system to deal with and they really need to make money on the hardware fundamentally.

There is the Facebook wildcard though. What if Zuckererg goes "screw it, let's get this ball rolling" and they sell Rift at a loss to get the buzz and momentum going.

Vanmunt

Banned
I am expecting 400 of the Queens English pounds, wallet is ready.. I have no shame in admitting I had a pang of excitement at finally being able to order VR today.

Vex_

Banned
It NEEDS to be $299 in order remain competitive, and gain a high adoption rate. The more homes they can get this thing in, the better. That is what will gain them a high amount of mind share.

Anything higher and I'm out anyways. I don't feel the tech is worth more than that tbh.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
they must know that $499 is a critical price. At or below that and some people will moan a little but be accepting. Above that threshold and there will be a significant increase in negative comments and general reaction.

I hope it'll be lower than that, but I'm sure they will do everything they can to avoid being above $499.

They can always screw Europe on the exchange rate to appease the American market and associated tech press :p

It NEEDS to be $299 in order remain competitive, and gain a high adoption rate. The more homes they can get this thing in, the better. That is what will gain them a high amount of mind share.

Anything higher and I'm out anyways. I don't feel the tech is worth more than that tbh.

You-are-already-out.gif

Top Bottom