• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's List All Console Second Screen Experiences

If you play Virtual Tennis on the dreamcast with a VMU plugged in. you get the characters on the VMU screen as stick figures so you can play without the TV on.
This one is a bit of an stretch. You could sort of play a match with the VMU as the game didn't allow basic stuff like menu navigation through the VMU to properly say you can play the game off TV.

And that's the thing with the VMU, it is so limited in every sense that it ends up been a neat feature more than something that enhances gameplay, even one of the best examples (picking up plays in NFL 2K) you had to be in perfect lighting conditions to see what's going on. The VMU is an equivalent more or less to the Pocketstation, a memory card with a screen more than say... a controller with an screen.

OP you can add Shenmue to the DreamCast list, the VMU displayed small cues when Ryo was learning a new move. Most of the other uses where not actual dual screen gaming but some sort of little program you could download to use it in memory card mode.

Also in regrads of Wii U, you would end up with a list significantly larger. At least most games from Nintendo's side (developed or published) use some type of second screen gaming.

Other amends to your list:

-Human Revolution: This one has plenty uses not mentioned. Hacking mini game, virtualization of panels/buttons and using it as the viewfinder with scoped weapons are ones i remember now.

-Arkham City: Interactive map, touch screen inventory, crime scene scanner, independent gadget view. The independent gadget view in is very impressive for the Wii U since it's actually rendering 2 different view points in a rather visually complex game (as far as Wii U goes).

-Arkham Origins: Crime scene analysis and interactive map to set custom wave points and fast travel.

-Darksiders 2: Interactive inventory.

-Mass Effect 3: Besides the interactive map and 8 shortcut keys, you have squad touch screen controls which ends up been more useful than one might think since this was shoehorned to the game, instead of been made up from the ground up.

-Wii Fit U: Surpried this one isn't mentioned yet since it has very intensive use of second screen gaming. It has multiple view points, VR type functionality and a mirror mode to see if you are making the exercises correctly.

-Wii Party U: This one gets quite insane with dual screen gaming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLFAmemK_2I

Sorry for not editing my first post earlier, i had other GC to list. XD

sangreal

These are all the smartglass companions for games on xbox one:
Battlefield 4™ BattleScreen
Dead Rising 3 SmartGlass Companion
JUST DANCE® 2014
Madden NFL 15 CoachGlass
Madden NFL 16 CoachGlass
Madden NFL 25 CoachGlass
MONOPOLY DEAL
MONOPOLY PLUS
Plants vs. Zombies™ Garden Warfare Boss Mode Companion
Ryse SmartGlass Companion
Warframe Nexus
Worms Battlegrounds
Zoo Tycoon SmartGlass Experience

I guess smartglass is dead/dying though as developers move away from that webapp model to native mobile apps

Just Dance 16 Demo also has a second screen app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ubisoft.dance.justdance2015companion

Mael

How am I the 1rst one to mention Rayman Legends on WiiU?
What does it do?
Multiplayer as well as touchscreen gameplay on some section.

You could also add New Super Luigi U as it's a DLC/Separate entry too.

gelf

I feel like some DC games used the VMU for ammo display but I can't remember specifics unfortunately.

ckohler

How am I the 1rst one to mention Rayman Legends on WiiU?
What does it do?
Multiplayer as well as touchscreen gameplay on some section.

I'm trying not to count those that mirror the TV screen. Granted the controls are different but it's still akin to RemotePlay. So, this one is suspect.

Mael

I'm trying not to count those that mirror the TV screen. Granted the controls are different but it's still akin to RemotePlay. So, this one is suspect.

It's nothing like remote play,
with Murphy you interact with the environment in ways that is impossible without it.
The important part is not the screen but the touch functionality.
It's far more important to the gameplay aspect than any map you get in your usual open world game.
on top of that it can barely serve as a remote screen if you're playing multiplayer because there's no way the second player will ever manage to see the pad when the 1rst player use it.
If you're not using Murphy in multiplayer this is what you usually see :
A box with murphy that is slowly being filled by bubbles, if you pop the bubbles they make a sound (usually during the stat screen though).

Is it worth checking out in Ground Zeroes and Wolfenstein: TNO? I really liked what Ubisoft did with Black Flag if those experiences are remotely similar. The map in particular was great.

LittleBigPlanet 2's Cross-Controller level pack (delisted and later returned as the Sci-Fi kit but only a time-saver pack for the objects in LBP3) allowed you to use the Vita as a second screen and controller that allowed for all sorts of unique, WiiU style gameplay where logic could communicate between the platforms, sackboy could hop between platforms using "wormholes" on the fly to be in a different area of a level contained on the Vita, it could be used to create huds, mini maps and all sorts of things.

Hard to find any video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZI29LIuStw

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Fibbage is the only game where the 2nd screen use has been well-implemented. Everything else just pales in comparison.

ckohler

It's nothing like remote play,
with Murphy you interact with the environment in ways that is impossible without it.
Good point. Added.

LittleBigPlanet 2's Cross-Controller level pack (delisted and later returned as the Sci-Fi kit but only a time-saver pack for the objects in LBP3) allowed you to use the Vita as a second screen and controller that allowed for all sorts of unique, WiiU style gameplay where logic could communicate between the platforms, sackboy could hop between platforms using "wormholes" on the fly to be in a different area of a level contained on the Vita, it could be used to create huds, mini maps and all sorts of things.

Hard to find any video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZI29LIuStw
Added.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I only tried it briefly with GTA V, mainly because that was the only way to get the dog to do anything useful (which made it all that more annoying that the Android app was delayed for several weeks). It sucked. Haven't done any 2nd screen stuff since then.

Pudge

I had no Earthly idea that Titanfall had a second screen app. Usually the game at least suggests using it once. Weird.

Top Bottom