• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's look over Koei Tecmo's Switch support (developed and published) so far

MrT-Tar

Project Zero/Fatal Frame Switch would be my dream, but I would also love an expanded Hyrule Warriors with BotW content

pronk420

I really hope RTK13 comes to Switch in Europe, I think it will since they already have a translation. Kid of surprised it didn't release at launch really.

Danneee

Really hope Nobunagas Ambition gets a western release, it would be perfect for portable sessions. And it's already translated so I don't know why it hasn't been announced. Maybe the PS4 game sold poorly?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It seems there was something more in the recent financial results statements

http://nintendoeverything.com/fire-emblem-warriors-wont-be-koei-tecmos-only-switch-exclusive-game/

Koei Tecmo has even more plans for Switch in the future. At a financial results briefing this week, chairman Keiko Erikawa noted that the company's multiplatform engine has Switch embedded, meaning it can generate PC, PlayStation, Xbox, and Switch titles automatically from a single source. Erikawa also spoke positively about Switch's ”anytime anywhere" concept and believes it will be successful, so they'll to continue support it.

Koei Tecmo is already working on Switch exclusive title(s) other than Fire Emblem Warriors. Also, they'll deliver Switch games one after another.

-shadow-

Does Nintendo own Fatal Frame?
From what I can find about this no. KT still owns the IP fully, but Nintendo has been co-developing (or atleast producing) everything after the third one and published them all. Spirit Camera which was conceived as a port of one of the original three (I think it was 2) but was changed to what it is by request of Iwata and they fully own that game and IP.

But man I hope they'll release a new Project Zero/Fatal Frame. I've played the entire series across five different platforms and even Spirit Camera and Maiden of Black Water with plenty of flaws were really enjoyable.

TheMoon

I read somewhere that Nintendo owns the rights to FF4, Maiden of Black Water and Spirit Camera (probably Wikipedia). Don't know if true, but likely I guess. I mean, they did publish (and fund?) those games.

See all the other replies in this thread.

Eolz

Oregano

That's a really promising statement.
I'll be honest, while I expected the Vita titles transition (like Nights of Azure 2 and probably Atelier in the future), I didn't expect them to put some more hardcore titles like Nobunaga on it, just like the next one has been announced.

Nobunaga and RotTK both got 3DS and Wii U releases so that's actually less surprising than Nights of Azure 2 IMO.

Eolz

Nobunaga and RotTK both got 3DS and Wii U releases so that's actually less surprising than Nights of Azure 2 IMO.

They got WiiU releases?
My bad then, didn't know that, only about RoTK 3DS and the Nobunaga/Pokemon spinoff (which doesn't really count).

Mpl90

It's quite different this time. Re-posting the list I made for one of the most recent Media Create threads

Most recent Nobunaga's Ambition appearences on Nintendo, ranked by LTDs - Name | Date | FW | LTD | brief description of the game

NDS Nobunaga's Ambition DS 2 {2008.7.31} - 9.398 | 53.771 | Remake of Nobunaga's Ambition: Lord of Darkness, 4th chapter in the series
3DS Nobunaga's Ambition {2013.9.19} - 8.024 | 24.373 | IIRC it's a remake, but I can't find exact infos
NDS Battle Nobunaga's Ambition: Kunitori Zunou {2008.6.26} - 7.100 | 23.538 | Spin-off
NDS Nobunaga's Ambition DS {2006.4.27} - ? | 17.143 | Remake of Nobunaga's Ambition: Reppuden, 8th chapter in the series
3DS Nobunaga's Ambition 2 {2015.8.6} - 4.443 | 6.461 | Remake of Nobunaga's Ambition DS | Remake-ception
WII Nobunaga's Ambition: Iron Triangle with Power-Up Kit {2006.3.6} - 650 | 2.747 | Power-Up Kit version of the most recent installment, released also on PS2*

* the PS2 version released on the same day, with the following sales - 9.465 | 31.379

Actually, the list didn't include Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence with Power Up Kit for Switch, mainly due to the lack of numbers (except for Dengeki). But anyway, my point still stands: while Nintendo platforms have indeed received several NA games in the past few years, they were PUK re-releases / late PUK re-releases / remakes of older games in the series. This time, though, it's the main next chapter in the series from the get go. As already said, we need to go way back to the Super Nintendo era (I'm not kidding) to see the last time this happened on a Nintendo, with Nobunaga's Ambition: Tenshoki.

meppi

Wow, didn't even know Nights of Azure 2 was coming to Switch.
I'm really hoping we'll see a Toukiden Kiwami + Toukiden 2 set as well in the near future. Just picked 2 up on Vita, but I'd really like it on Switch as well.

I'm wondering how Dynasty Warriors 9 will turn out, being a whole new engine and all, and how it will scale down for portable systems if at all.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It seems there was something more in the recent financial results statements

http://nintendoeverything.com/fire-emblem-warriors-wont-be-koei-tecmos-only-switch-exclusive-game/

I'll believe them if Dynasty Warriors 9 includes a Switch SKU. It have no doubt it'll be PS4 in Japan and on PC (and maybe XBO too) in the west.

Everything is Musou.

But nothing is Musou except what Nintendo asked for (Fire Emblem)? DQ is the only other game that's even close, it doesn't have the Musou brand but the battles and objectives are still mostly the shallow Musou style.

Wait, did the Switch get the vanilla version of Sphere of Influence? Or the Ascension version (GOTY version that has DLC + naval combat + other changes/rebalancing)?

Mpl90

I'll believe them if Dynasty Warriors 9 includes a Switch SKU. It have no doubt it'll be PS4 in Japan and on PC (and maybe XBO too) in the west.

For Dynasty Warriors 9, there could be different circumstancies, like a potential partnership with Sony (it was unveiled during a Sony-sponsored live event, IIRC) that could prevent the game from appearing on Switch / other consoles. Still, I think there's a solid ground to believe them: I would've supported your skepticism if Nights of Azure 2 were the only "unusual" KT game announced on Switch, but recently Nobunaga's Ambition: Taishi was unveiled for the platform as well, and a main NA chapter on a Nintendo platform is an event on its own as I've explained earlier. Even if DQ9 doesn't end up on Switch, these two announcements, when picked together, represent a good evidence in their statements' favour.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
For Dynasty Warriors 9, there could be different circumstancies, like a potential partnership with Sony (it was unveiled during a Sony-sponsored live event, IIRC) that could prevent the game from appearing on Switch / other consoles. Still, I think there's a solid ground to believe them: I would've supported your skepticism if Nights of Azure 2 were the only "unusual" KT game announced on Switch, but recently Nobunaga's Ambition: Taishi was unveiled for the platform as well, and a main NA chapter on a Nintendo platform is an event on its own as I've explained earlier. Even if DQ9 doesn't end up on Switch, these two announcements, when picked together, represent a good evidence in their statements' favour.

Do those strategy games even sell on consoles though? I don't really understand if they're ports or remakes, but I'm used to seeing small numbers for whatever random entry ends up on consoles. What does sales for a main NA look like?

And if DW9 is locked up when it'll end up on every other platform in the west then Nintendo still has a problem. It's still Koei's biggest series on consoles.

So I was thinking of making a look over thread about KT's Switch support... when it turned out I already did earlier this year LOL!

So I decided to just update and bump the thread. Check out the OP to see the newest entries! :)

Dragon Quest Heroes I & II for Nintendo Switch
Developer: Omega Force (KT)
Publisher: Square Enix
Release Date: March 3rd, 2017

Multiple retailers in NA list the game being localized by Nintendo (as usual with Nintendo system DQ games), so we'll likely see this before long in the west.

I know this is an old thread but this isn't something I remember seeing... Any word on localization lately?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
KT and nintendo have extremely great relationship, its almost at namco gen 6 tier in terms of a 3rd party that puts basically everything on nintendo's platform.

kunonabi

Its a good deal of stuff but nothing of real interest aside from Fire Emblem since everything else is more worthwhile on the PS4. Id be interested in the strategy stuff if they had touch controls but oh well.

Hopefully Fatal Frame and maybe some older franchises can get some ground up Switch revivals.

StereoVsn

So we are getting Fire Emblem, Nights of Azure 2 and eventually Atelier at least? How is Nights of Azure 2? Any import impressions? The first one seemed to be meh.

Fire Emblem I will wait for reviews but at least Dragon Quest Heroes 2 and Hyrule Legends were all pretty good. Question is how performance is going to be.

Waji

Its a good deal of stuff but nothing of real interest aside from Fire Emblem since everything else is more worthwhile on the PS4. Id be interested in the strategy stuff if they had touch controls but oh well.

Hopefully Fatal Frame and maybe some older franchises can get some ground up Switch revivals.
Why is it more worthwhile on PS4 :/ ?
Getting a home and portable version of a game in one seems pretty worthwhile to me.
I might get Atelier on Switch. Seems to be a pretty good fit.

Ridley327

So we are getting Fire Emblem, Nights of Azure 2 and eventually Atelier at least? How is Nights of Azure 2? Any import impressions? The first one seemed to be meh.

Fire Emblem I will wait for reviews but at least Dragon Quest Heroes 2 and Hyrule Legends were all pretty good. Question is how performance is going to be.

There are actually two performance modes being included with FEW: the default option is 1080p/30fps, but you also have the option to select 720p/60fps.

KtSlime

Getting a home and portable version of a game in one seems pretty worthwhile to me.

When I read it I just interpreted the word 'worthwhile' was code for better graphics, which he or she should have just said that instead.

StereoVsn

Some of the ports are not performing well. By many accounts DQ1&2 pack has performance issues, Xenoverse 2 performance sucks, NBA 2K18 has performance issues, and so on. I wouldnt bet on Atelier being particularly good either since they can't even get that one right on PC.

KT basically outputs to PS4 and everything else comes as an afterthought and ports have problems. Note that some of the strategy games originated on PC so that may not apply to them.

Some of the ports are not performing well. By many accounts DQ1&2 pack has performance issues, Xenoverse 2 performance sucks, NBA 2K18 has performance issues, and so on. I wouldnt bet on Atelier being particularly good either since they can't even get that one right on PC.

KT basically outputs to PS4 and everything else comes as an afterthought and ports have problems. Note that some of the strategy games originated on PC so that may not apply to them.
What does NBA 2K have to do with KT and what performance issues? 30fps? And Xenoverse 2 is fine. The hub has pretty bad performance, but the fights look and feel great.

Musou games are infinitely better on portable consoles due to the amount of grind/content.

I'm 100 percent in for this.

Yeah!
Why is it not a thing? They have a track record of porting versions of these Ninja Gaiden games to multiple hardware. Suddenly Stop? Switch is a perfect fit - the full fat experience on the go, no need to cut down and make a slideshow as was sometimes the NGS2 plus port on PS VITA (I admire they tried)!

Waji

I wonder why all my friends who have Xenoverse 2 disagree then. We're past the hyperbole here. Ridiculous.

Phoenixus

Bollocks. Overworld aside that has fast travel options anyway, the framerate in battles is solid and reliable, where it needs to be the most. The game as a whole is a very technically impressive port.

Aside the hub world, performances are really solid in battle with a rock solid 30fps even with a lot of characters on screen and with many beam, effects at the same time, it's really a good port.

Top Bottom