• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's look over Koei Tecmo's Switch support (developed and published) so far

I wanted to make a thread looking over Koei Tecmo's Switch line-up that covers both games they've developed for other publishers, and as well as their own line-up of games.

This is a follow-up to my thread in 2014 where I looked at Nintendo relationship with KT which still goes on to this day.

I'll go in order of release date:

810KKBG2sbL.jpg

Dragon Quest Heroes I & II for Nintendo Switch
Developer: Omega Force (KT)
Publisher: Square Enix
Release Date: March 3rd, 2017

This is a surprising first game where it's not one, but TWO ports of PS3 games bundled together on day 1. While performance isn't all that good (it's better in the retail release than in the demo at least), it's still a surprising and somewhat impressive feat. Multiple retailers in NA list the game being localized by Nintendo (as usual with Nintendo system DQ games), so we'll likely see this before long in the west.

Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence
Developer: Koei Tecmo
Publisher: Koei Tecmo
Release Date: March 3rd, 2017

Another port and the only self-published KT game at launch. This was also released on all current Sony systems (in addition to PC). This is already out in the west on some systems, but so far no word on a western release for this on Switch. Not much to say honestly.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 with Power-Up Kit
Release Date: March 30th, 2017

Again, another port from similar platforms as Nobunaga and again there's not much to say here. It did get a western release on PS4 and PC, and in the west-only, on XBO also. This series has been surprisingly consistent on Nintendo systems, with 11 releasing on Wii and 12 on Wii U, so 13 continues the line on Switch which is pretty neat to see. ROTTK14 on the Switch's successor then?

Champion Jockey Special
Release Date: September 14th, 2017

This is particularly interesting, because this is the first entry on the Jockey series since the Champion Jockey game that came out on Wii, 360, and PS3 years ago (and in NA for the first time to boot). They even have the same box art, so it may literally be some kind of special remaster, though footage I've seen to compare might show a bit of differences maybe, not entirely sure.

This game will be releasing alongside...

Winning Post 8 2017
Release Date: September 14th, 2017

Another horse racing game. This is a port of the game release on Sony systems earlier this year. Both games have connectivity with one another. Your rider from Champion Jockey Special can appear in Winning Post 8 2017, and horses you raise in Winning Post 8 2017 can be brought over to Champion Jockey Special, pretty neat actually.

Fire Emblem Warriors
Developer: Omega Force and Team Ninja
Publisher: Koei Tecmo (JP), Nintendo (NA and EU)
Release Date: September 28th, 2017 (JP), Fall 2017 (NA and EU)

Now this is the one likely everyone reading is most excited for. The next Nintendo crossover from indeed the same team behind Hyrule Warriors on Wii U, this time with Fire Emblem. We've quite a bit so far from E3 and coverage in Famitsu and the like. Still no date for the west despite us having one in Japan.

Nights of Azure 2
Developer: Gust
Release Date: October 25th, 2017 (NA)

Honestly the biggest surprise for me. This is the first major game by Gust for a Nintendo system in like... ever? Their previous Nintendo system games were a downgraded chibi remake of Atelier Rorona Plus on 3DS, and the Atelier spin-offs on DS (only one of the DS games even got localized). This game will be coming out in Japan at the same time as the PS4 and Vita versions (again, the first from Gust on Nintendo hardware IIRC). Also, this will indeed be getting a localization, sadly the only KT game to do so at the moment.

But as it turns out, Gust have more in store for Switch than just this game!

Nobunaga's Ambition: Taishi
Release Date: November 30th, 2017

This is the newest Nobunaga's Ambition title and is coming out on Switch, PS4, and PC this winter. This is the first time KT have announced a game that includes Switch from the debut announcement. Not much to say I'm afraid, apologies.

Atelier Lydie & Soeur: Alchemists of the Mysterious Painting
Developer: Gust
Release Date: Winter 2017

My personally most anticipated entry. Finally we have a brand-new mainline Atelier game releasing at the same time on Switch as on Sony systems, and it look gorgeous! A localization was confirmed for the west, we just need to know if it's a retail release or not in the west also.

Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires
Developer: Omega Force
Release Date: Nov 9th, 2017 (JP)

A surprise entry alongside two others and all on the same day. This is also the first ever main DW game on a Nintendo home console (last period was Dynasty Warriors VS on 3DS... which was never localized...).

Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada

The 2nd in the trio. This is the first Nintendo home console entry since Samurai Warriors 3: Xtreme Legends (we only got the vanilla version courtesy of Nintendo in the west), but more recently we had Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3rd on 3DS worldwide.

Warriors Orochi 3

The last of the trio. This actually came out on Wii U as Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper (an exclusive "version" no less), this came after on other systems with more enhancements and content.

Attack on Titan 2
Release Date: 2018 (JP)

Last but not least. This was just announced at TGS. How much Omega Force goodness can you handle on one system? lol This is neat as Nintendo fans never got the first one. It's already confirmed for the west on PS4 and XBO, so I would think the Switch version isn't far behind.

So what's your take on Koei Tecmo's line-up on Switch so far? What are your hopes for their future support?

Risette

A Good Citizen
I hope their strategy games on Switch get a western release. Always wanted portable versions of Koei strategy games.

Reknoc

Just want to see with they do with Musou games on it. The Heroes ports are not... an especially great start but I imagine Fire Emblem will probably be really good. Really don't like their Vita attempts so I'm hoping for something much better than them so I can enjoy some portable Musou.

Nanashrew

Banned
I don't think Nintendo owns Fatal Frame, but are the only company that's willing to pay for new games in the series to be made.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Nights of Azure 2 is the only surprise so far. It's not for me but it's the first game from them that you can look at the performance of to see if Switch has any chance of attracting the Vita audience in Japan.

I wouldn't call a rushed PS3 port with performance issues a "somewhat impressive feat" at all, in docked mode it shouldn't have any issues at all. Also the reason it's on the platform is because Square Enix decided it, not Koei. That should be noted since they haven't announced a single Musou game for Switch that they're publishing themselves.

Kouriozan

Does Nintendo own Fatal Frame?
This is weird that the last 3 games (not spin-off) were released on Nintendo home console only, maybe it's just so niche that KT is OK with this and Nintendo has a special deal for this IP.
I would love to know more about that matter.

ohlawd

when Atelier shows up on the system whew

haven't played the last two entries yet cuz I don't own the hardware to play them on

While I haven't imported my copy yet, Nobunaga's Ambition (And the Switch's Region Free-ness) has made me really start concentrating on learning Japanese. I have my doubts NA Switch will release outside Japan, but I still want to play it!

DMONKUMA

How was the performance on Hyrule Warriors? Was it around 60fps and do you think the same will apply to Fire Emblem?

The performance of the DQH two pack demo was pretty horrendous and unacceptable for what is a port of the Vita/PS3 version. Is the retail release better?

Cuburt

That's a lot of musuo.

I makes me wonder if that's what the Switch audience wants. I'm sure after Hyrule Warriors success, KT thinks there is a market for it, but most of me thinks it's the Zelda name, just like Fire Emblem warriors could sell well as well.

I'm more interested to see what else they might bring.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
That's a lot of musuo.

I makes me wonder if that's what the Switch audience wants. I'm sure after Hyrule Warriors success, KT thinks there is a market for it, but most of me thinks it's the Zelda name, just like Fire Emblem could sell well as well.

A lot? There's only two releases I see there can even be considered Musou. One of them is a Nintendo IP and the other is a release that isn't officially Musou.

DQ is selling decently in Japan for what it is I think. It could be the IP and the fact that there's so little to play but the price is high so it depends on what S-E expected for it.

Eolz

KT will always support Nintendo less than Sony but more than Xbox.
The death of the Vita really helps this time however.

I don't know if they own the whole series but since they published the last three console games as exclusives, they could own those games specifically? Might be a Bayonetta 2 scenario.

Yep, that's basically it. A good deal between both companies.

If they released Dead or Alive 5 Last Round, I'd be beyond happy.

I was honestly surprised and disappointed to not see a port of this. They're still supporting it, could easily run on it, and
DOA Dimensions was on 3DS in the launch period.

And I doubt they'll do a port for DOA6 sadly...

Mediking

That's a lot of musuo.

I makes me wonder if that's what the Switch audience wants. I'm sure after Hyrule Warriors success, KT thinks there is a market for it, but most of me thinks it's the Zelda name, just like Fire Emblem warriors could sell well as well.

That's not even alot of Musuo. PS4 has WAY more Musuo and is popular in Japan. Heck, let the Switch get Musuo to keep gaming alive in Japan.

Hopefully Makoto Shibata's new game (whether it be a new IP or a new Fatal Frame/Project Zero) is coming out for it and is good. I think they could definitely perfect some of the concepts they tested in Fatal Frame IV and V with a new Fatal Frame game. I hope the budget is better than it was for V, which was obviously cut down from previous games.

Cerium

Hyrule Warriors with a heavy emphasis on Breath of the Wild.

I want all the Champions, plus Riju, and Kass.

TheMoon

No. They co-own the rights to the games released on their platforms. Zero 2: Wii Edition, Zero 4, Zero 5. They wholly own Spirit Camera since that's a new spin-off IP. That made-up news article on that horror site that started spreading this nonsense about Nintendo owning the IP can go to hell.

Wasn't Fatal Frame on the Wii U?

Well, yea.

That said. Zero Collection on Switch please. Finish up that Zero 4 localization you had almost finished, throw your fully localized Zero 2 together with Zero 5 and boom. Happiness.

I would love to have a deluxe edition of Hyrule Warriors, but I don't think that will happen. The 3DS version pretty much is the definitive edition (content wise)

A new Fatal Frame would be cool.

Kouriozan

That said. Zero Collection on Switch please. Finish up that Zero 4 localization you had almost finished, throw your fully localized Zero 2 together with Zero 5 and boom. Happiness.

Ah yeah, FF4 was never localized because of that game breaking bug preventing the apparition of some ghosts.
That said I agree, one day it needs to be localized.

Eolz

Speaking of Fatal Frame, it's nice to look back at this quote after the release of FFV (from an old thread):
Kikuchi: We made the first Zero game in 2001, and the year after next it will welcome in its 15th anniversary. It's something that could be called Shibata and my life work, but with some new impetus... be it the appearance of a new console, or some kind of anniversary, with some kind of timing like that I hope we can start planning. We're starting to exhaust the ideas that have already been used as far as horror games go, so I'd like to keep stocking up on ideas to create a new fear.
Without the fans of this series, we would never have been able to realise this game. I am grateful to those who have loved this series, despite my favouristism ruining the balance in various ways, and to those who have come along for my "final game" again.

I don't know when it will be, but I hope we can meet again with my next "final game".

Koei Tecmo Games
Makoto Shibata

Zedark

This may look promising, but don't get your hopes up. Disgaea 5 Complete's performance in Japan has killed any hope for third parties coming to Switch.

In case you need it: /s

TheMoon

Ah yeah, FF4 was never localized because of that game breaking bug preventing the apparition of some ghosts.
That said I agree, one day it needs to be localized.

They were working on it. It got as far as having one or two print ads appear in Europe. It was just out of reach.

sensui-tomo

just gonna put it out there, any musou that isnt made for the console will run like ass on the console. Anything made for it (like hyrule warriors) will run fine. Probably better to expect DW9(8 in japan) to be a ps4 purchase, followed by pc then nintendo (in terms of quality drop) Would like it if we got the ROTK game on the switch here, but i believe that game just came out in the west/ comes out in a week or two (rotk expansion).

Man, I just want a good Romance of the 3 Kingdoms game on the Switch. I heard 13 was trash. Not sure if the PUK made it better, but PUKs usually can't save a bad game.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
This may look promising, but don't get your hopes up. Disgaea 5 Complete's performance in Japan has killed any hope for third parties coming to Switch.

i know the joke but since they sold all the physical copies they gave and also keeps selling the few restocks wouldn they be hsppy with the sales?

Solo Act

I wonder if there's any chance of Dead or Alive 6 hitting the Switch? One the one hand, that franchise typically chases the most powerful hardware. On the other, the Switch would give them access to a growing crowd of portable gamers.

Luigiv

Not the franchise as a whole, that still belongs to Koei Tecmo, but they have a deal were all copyrights of individual games going forward will be shared between the two companies, with Nintendo having exclusive rights to publish new games in the series.

I wonder if there's any chance of Dead or Alive 6 hitting the Switch? One the one hand, that franchise typically chases the most powerful hardware. On the other, the Switch would give them access to a growing crowd of portable gamers.
I'm actually surprised DOA5 Last Round didn't get a quick port over.

I would love to have a deluxe edition of Hyrule Warriors, but I don't think that will happen. The 3DS version pretty much is the definitive edition (content wise)

I'd like that too, but the game needs more variety in stages and bosses. I enjoy the idea behind the game a lot but it got boring pretty quickly playing the same stages again and again just in a different order. It may be better to hope for a sequel.

Oregano

Wow, people care so little about I Am Setsuna that it's not even referenced in these jokes.

They managed to port DOA5 to Vita so it would probably be technologically possible.

Top Bottom