• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about Grand Strategy.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
worst gamez ever

and speaking of the mp thread and all, why don't YOU join in, TDM?

Herne

Currently at around year 1209 in CKII right now. I've captured the five pentarchies and mended the great schism (though I've just lost the Ecumenical Patriarchy's seat in Kaztal, Uzen to the damn Golden Horde), currently count all of Ireland, Burgundy, Italy and some of France as my own, and reformed the Roman Empire. I'm looking forward to continuing in EUIV, as I've never played as the Byzantines/Romans in that game before.

I'm just waiting now on the patch that'll fix the save converter for EUIV, since Art of War has totally screwed that up with all it's extra provinces and apparently Paradox have one guy working on it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I got a thread locked on the paradox forums once because after a Paradox employee said "we will not simulate genocide in our games" (referencing Hearts of Iron 3), I asked why there was an "attack natives" button in EU3 / 4.
lmao

Icefire1424

First of all sub'd. Really want to get more into these games, but time has been somewhat of an issue as of late (having a daughter will do that to a guy).

I tried out HOI3, and love the concept, but that is one seriously steep learning curve to try and grasp. Started out as Australia, as I was curious if I would be able to turn the course of the war in Europe from a country that had a pretty minor impact historically. After some build up, I entered the fray on the Western Front shortly after the fall of Poland, but before the invasion of France. Despite my French allies, I quickly found the Aussies in full retreat towards the Atlantic - in some cases with the Axis attacking faster than I could fall back. Eventually they pushed us back to the sea, and Europe was all but lost. Not exactly my best introduction to the series. It did teach me a LOT about the mechanics of the game, and how difficult waging war on a "moderate" economy can be.

Second attempt was as the Americans, and I focused on a buildup immediately. Grasped the concepts much better the second time around, and managed to build up a pretty significant force by the time Germany invaded Poland. I actually stopped playing right around the time I was planning an invasion of mainland Europe (prior to the fall of France), and couldn't really get back into it since I had all but forgotten most of the stuff I leaned, and what I was trying to do at the time. /Sigh.

Anyways, excited to hear that HOI4 is in development, and they're trying to simplify it a bit. It is a game I really want to get into, but couldn't justify the time commitment to feel comfortable playing the game.

I had a harder time getting my head around HOI3 than I did wrestling how to manipulate POPs in the original Victoria. This was with nearly 200 hours of HOI2 experience in hand.

Shengar

I miss the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games. The last one I played was on the PS2, and Koei seems to just not care about their grand strategy roots anymore.

The best thing about Koei's Romance of the Three Kingdoms is that they constantly changed from macro grand strategy game to micro grand strategy with role-playing element in it. I've seen any game as good as RotK X in that regard.

Aaron D.

The tutorial was of no help to me to be honest, better off looking at or reading a lets play and following along with them.

http://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/

For people who need help with CKII, Arumba has a great LP where you "learn the game together" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAvJJuv1hvM Even I learned some things form him on the CK2 front within this tutorial.

Thanks for the links, gang.

I've been itching to get back into CKII, but it's been so long that it feels like a lot of my knowldge & skill base has atrophied something fierce.

Soph

Wow, so I'm trying Dracula's revenge again, and I got totally lucky at the start. It's 1487 and Hungary is left with some 5 provinces, while I conquered the rest. I'm allied to Poland who'se not really getting stronger while I got Serbia and Croatia as vassals. Serbia conquered all of Bosnia as well. I also have Kiev in the two Ruthenian provinces in Hungary as a vassal, made it into a cute little march, so later expansion into Lithuania is easy since you can reclaim cores that way.

At one point I'll need to ally Muscovy instead of Poland to get my Romanian provinces from Moldavia.. then bang a bit against the Ottomans to get the achievement. This is going to be cake ^^, I'm psyched!

First of all sub'd. Really want to get more into these games, but time has been somewhat of an issue as of late (having a daughter will do that to a guy).

I tried out HOI3, and love the concept, but that is one seriously steep learning curve to try and grasp. Started out as Australia, as I was curious if I would be able to turn the course of the war in Europe from a country that had a pretty minor impact historically. After some build up, I entered the fray on the Western Front shortly after the fall of Poland, but before the invasion of France. Despite my French allies, I quickly found the Aussies in full retreat towards the Atlantic - in some cases with the Axis attacking faster than I could fall back. Eventually they pushed us back to the sea, and Europe was all but lost. Not exactly my best introduction to the series. It did teach me a LOT about the mechanics of the game, and how difficult waging war on a "moderate" economy can be.

Second attempt was as the Americans, and I focused on a buildup immediately. Grasped the concepts much better the second time around, and managed to build up a pretty significant force by the time Germany invaded Poland. I actually stopped playing right around the time I was planning an invasion of mainland Europe (prior to the fall of France), and couldn't really get back into it since I had all but forgotten most of the stuff I leaned, and what I was trying to do at the time. /Sigh.

Anyways, excited to hear that HOI4 is in development, and they're trying to simplify it a bit. It is a game I really want to get into, but couldn't justify the time commitment to feel comfortable playing the game.

Stopping the fall of France as one of the minors is pretty much impossible without major cheese.Even as UK it's challenging.USA is super easy, but your first invasion can fail miserably because of supplies. Babby's first giant mechanized force stalls hardcore because you dropped in 60 motorised / armoured divs and didn't research basing or supply throughput. Or tried a big landing in North Africa and overloaded the supply system, causing your fleet to get badly beat up by the RM due to lack of fuel/supplies.

Woorloog

Banned
Downloading EUIV demo to test i can really run it. (Besides, too expensive at the moment.)
My friend likes GS genre a lot, and i do like what i hear... Not sure it is a genre for me though.

What i'd most certainly like is a good science fiction or fantasy grand strategy game. (Yes, i know CK2 has Elder Scrolls and Game of Thrones mods, but both are unfinished.)
Dune would make a perfect setting for a grand strategy game, as would Battletech.
EDIT That is, Dune would make a perfect CK2 mod, with dynastic focus.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Wow, so I'm trying Dracula's revenge again, and I got totally lucky at the start. It's 1487 and Hungary is left with some 5 provinces, while I conquered the rest. I'm allied to Poland who'se not really getting stronger while I got Serbia and Croatia as vassals. Serbia conquered all of Bosnia as well. I also have Kiev in the two Ruthenian provinces in Hungary as a vassal, made it into a cute little march, so later expansion into Lithuania is easy since you can reclaim cores that way.

At one point I'll need to ally Muscovy instead of Poland to get my Romanian provinces from Moldavia.. then bang a bit against the Ottomans to get the achievement. This is going to be cake ^^, I'm psyched!

Is there a Paradox game where you can play as the Romanian principalities from the start?

Shengar

Downloading EUIV demo to test i can really run it. (Besides, too expensive at the moment.)
My friend likes GS genre a lot, and i do like what i hear... Not sure it is a genre for me though.

What i'd most certainly like is a good science fiction or fantasy grand strategy game. (Yes, i know CK2 has Elder Scrolls and Game of Thrones mods, but both are unfinished.)
Dune would make a perfect setting for a grand strategy game, as would Battletech.
EDIT That is, Dune would make a perfect CK2 mod, with dynastic focus.

A grand strategy game with fantasy or science-fiction will be rad as hell.

JoV

After playing these games for years (started with EU2), I am kinda getting a little bored of them tbh. Still love the scope, just not enjoying the military side of things so much, its a bit too abstracted and even HoI2 has begun to get stale in this respect.

Moved over to the AGEOD games instead and recently also trying to get into Gary Grigsby's War in the Pacific. They lack the temporal scale of the Paradox games (the pre-war build up in HoI2 is my favourite experience in gaming, particularly with the Darkest Hour addon which kicks off in 1933), but am finding them more satisfying overall.

Its just a pity that AGEOD's attempt at a true grand strategy title, Pride of Nations, is horribly flawed and the engine just can't handle what they were trying to achieve.

JoV

It admittedly does make my brain start dribbling out of my ears at times, but you have to admire the attention to detail.

It also makes you appreciate how much Paradox gets right in regards to in-game player feedback. No hunting through massive turn logs to try and find out exactly what happened the turn before.

Soph

Is there a Paradox game where you can play as the Romanian principalities from the start?

In Europa Universalis IV you can play with either Moldavia a vassal of Poland or Wallachia with Vlad Dracul as king. You can also play as Transylvania if you start as Hungary and release them as a vassal, while marking the "play as vassal" button.

Little update: Annexed Serbia, and rest of Hungarian lands in some bloody wars. I still need to fight the Ottomans somehow, my forcelimit is at 21 and growing. Gold mine in Kosovo is great! It's 1530 currently so enough time to reach the goal!

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Victoria 2 1861 start has Romania as a playable nation.

If you do 1821 start you've gotta somehow escape the Ottomans and become a great power as Moldavia or Wallachia.

In Europa Universalis IV you can play with either Moldavia a vassal of Poland or Wallachia with Vlad Dracul as king. You can also play as Transylvania if you start as Hungary and release them as a vassal, while marking the "play as vassal" button.

Ah, very cool. I'm mainly a Total War fan, but lately, I've found myself somewhat bored with the tactical battles and more interested in the strategic campaign side of things (as shallow as it might be compared to proper grand strategy titles). Perhaps a Paradox game would be just the ticket for me.

I got a thread locked on the paradox forums once because after a Paradox employee said "we will not simulate genocide in our games" (referencing Hearts of Iron 3), I asked why there was an "attack natives" button in EU3 / 4.

Ha, I was trying out HoI3 recently I found it kinda uncomfortably funny how the game sidestepped the whole holocaust thing. I read an amusing idea somewhere that the holocaust could be modeled by an objectively negative historical decision for Germany, then Paradox could measure how many people took the decision.

Anyways, I'm probably going to try and jump back into CK2 with Way of Life. I took an extended break from it into EU4 and eventually Vicky2 after the Rajas of India launch trainwreck. I'll probably pick up Charlemagne during the winter sale.

Ha, I was trying out HoI3 recently I found it kinda uncomfortably funny how the game sidestepped the whole holocaust thing. I read an amusing idea somewhere that the holocaust could be modeled by an objectively negative historical decision for Germany, then Paradox could measure how many people took the decision.

Anyways, I'm probably going to try and jump back into CK2 with Way of Life. I took an extended break from it into EU4 and eventually Vicky2 after the Rajas of India launch trainwreck. I'll probably pick up Charlemagne during the winter sale.

They kind of have to side step these things if they want to release their games in certain countries.

The Llama

They kind of have to side step these things if they want to release their games in certain countries.

Surely they could just release the game without those mechanics in the countries where it would be illegal. Though I suppose it could involve rebalancing a lot of stuff.

Will? You mean "would", as no one makes such :/
I'm not sure if some of the early-'90s Japanese fleet strategy computer games I've been researching would qualify, but those would be the closest examples I can offer. Game series like Schwarzschild and Imperial Force offer a mix of tactical wargaming and infrastructure management, but I don't know how developed their dynasty mechanics are; Regional Power's a series closer to Paradox games, removing fleet tactics for the most part, but I'm still in the dark on whether it's more of a 4X or not.

Xando

Victoria 2 gets so much easier when you are Greater Germany(austria included). How do i get the upperhouse more willing to social reforms though?

Victoria 2 gets so much easier when you are Greater Germany(austria included). How do i get the upperhouse more willing to social reforms though?

From memory, let consciousness get real high, then you can pass reforms to lower it. People will become more interested in certain issues over time as well.

CCS

Banned
Just bought Crusader Kings II, never played one of these before. Are there any LPers or similar who are good for beginners to watch? Also, who is best to start off playing as when you're new to the game?

Icefire1424

Stopping the fall of France as one of the minors is pretty much impossible without major cheese.Even as UK it's challenging.USA is super easy, but your first invasion can fail miserably because of supplies.

Oh yea, found that out the hard way. Like you said though, I did learn a lot about what NOT to do, so that's something.

Have some time off for the holidays coming up, I think I'll give it another go, maybe try as the UK this time around.

Xater

So the Way of Life expansion of CK2 interests me a lot. Wich other Expansion is worth picking up though? Seems like most of it is on sale right now. I already own Sword of islam and The Old Gods looks pretty good.

Icefire1424

I would kill for Warhammer 40k (or FB) game(s) of this scale and/or style.

I'm trying to decide who I would want to develop a Warhammer (FB for me) game more. Paradox, or the Total War team. Kindof leading towards the Total War team, only on the premise that seeing those battles play out would be so badass.

Pociask

Yup, CKII is like a drug

A drug I had to put down eventually. I put a ton of hours (quick edit: Steam says 97 hours) into it and still don't feel like I learned all the systems. The best teacher was just failing. Failing can be frustrating. It's like, oh, my dude died, no problem, my well groomed heir is ready to take the throne, but... no, why am I playing as him now!?! What happened to my beautiful demesne? What is this gavelkind succession baloney? What do you mean there are different succession laws for each layer? How can my heirs be such imbeciles? Oh God they're all revolting and they want me to give up all my titles!

Eventually I got a pretty firm grasp of most of the systems. Playing as my ancestral Poles, I crafted the mighty Wendish Empire from the kingdoms of Poland, Lithuania, Pomerania, Rus, Ruthenia, and Tartaria, and I was getting close to having Hungary and Wallachia. The Byzantine Empire and Holy Roman Empire briefly joined into one on my western and southern border, but then split into two fueding parties, so that wasn't a problem. But around that time I saw the Golden Horde swallow almost half of my empire it in two or three huge cheat-tastic bites - Tartaria, most of Ruthenia and Rus, Wallachia. Just huge chunks that they forced out of me by crushing me into surrender with their armies, hundreds of thousands strong. Then I found out I would have to recapture them one county at a time, and I could only do so once every ten years after an extremely bloody war each time. After finally grinding down the Horde, I had taken back about half of Rus and Ruthenia before I quit.

Woorloog

Banned
My grammar isn't very good lol
The thing with more fictitious world is that its easier to make up a story for the playthrough, at least for me.

Grammar wasn't an issue. That you wrote "will" just implied there would be something certainly. There is no certainty... IMO.

(Since EUIV/CKII etc seem to be moddable, making something scifi should be possible...)

The_Poet

Banned
I've always liked the idea of grand strategy and I enjoy people talking about interesting games they've had, but when I get around to actually playing one I pretty much just collapse from boredom.

Enco

I've always liked the idea of grand strategy and I enjoy people talking about interesting games they've had, but when I get around to actually playing one I pretty much just collapse from boredom.
Haha I know what you mean.

I can usually play around in a single game of CK2 for a few hours, but then I get bored and start from fresh. I rinse and repeat this process before taking a long break from the game.

The time I spend playing it is fun but any longer and I'll end up falling asleep. Stories help give me motivation to play again.

I'm trying to decide who I would want to develop a Warhammer (FB for me) game more. Paradox, or the Total War team. Kindof leading towards the Total War team, only on the premise that seeing those battles play out would be so badass.

I have a hardon for Titans, REAL titans. Let me stomp around with the big boys, Imperators & Warlords (I'll play with the smaller ones too but I really want the big ones). Proper Titan combat game would the shit.

KorrZ

You almost have to roleplay with yourself in a sense for these games to make sense. Once you get to the stage of "Okay, where am I expanding next, who am I attacking next" as a monotonous inevitability it becomes boring. I almost never finish games once they get to this point.

They are the most fun when you're creating stories for yourself, schemes and plans to subvert these massive empires that are breathing down your neck.

Pociask

You almost have to roleplay with yourself in a sense for these games to make sense. Once you get to the stage of "Okay, where am I expanding next, who am I attacking next" as a monotonous inevitability it becomes boring. I almost never finish games once they get to this point.

They are the most fun when you're creating stories for yourself, schemes and plans to subvert these massive empires that are breathing down your neck.

Absolutely. In CK2, expanding an unstoppable blob is boring - it's just work. But using intrigue, arranged marriages, and armies to raise your family from lords of a single county to commanding a kingdom - without being crushed by your more powerful neighbors or being stabbed in the back by your own family & nobles - is awesome. And you naturally start to identify in CK2 with your character. Makes the sudden unexpected deaths or brainings on the battlefield that much more meaningful.

Almighty

Well this thread reminds me that it is time for me to start up CK2 again. I guess I should check out that Way of Life expansion as well.

Top Bottom