• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about Grand Strategy.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So I bought Crusader Kings 2 bundle on Steam because it was 75% off and because I gave in to my impulses. XD

If you need it, this is a good instructional LP guide for the vanilla game:

http://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/

How the Hell Do We Play Crusader Kings 2?

This is an instructional LP for Crusader Kings 2, Paradox's latest historical strategy game. My goal here is to introduce the game to those people who have been curious onlookers for CK2, but were turned off by the complexity.

You almost have to roleplay with yourself in a sense for these games to make sense. Once you get to the stage of "Okay, where am I expanding next, who am I attacking next" as a monotonous inevitability it becomes boring. I almost never finish games once they get to this point.

They are the most fun when you're creating stories for yourself, schemes and plans to subvert these massive empires that are breathing down your neck.

So does that mean that CK2 does not have good enough AI that if you squint a bit, you can imagine that the NPCs have personalities with their own agendas and machinations?

So does that mean that CK2 does not have good enough AI that if you squint a bit, you can imagine that the NPCs have personalities with their own agendas and machinations?

By virtue of their power, your power, and the power of those around each of you, they will be funneled into predictable (or semi-predictable) tactics that appears to gvie them 'personality.' You'll always have that one neighbour that keeps fabricating claims, or that one relative that keeps trying to kill heirs, or that one vassel that just can't stay satisified; it's infuriating and its awesome. This, coupled with the sheer scope of the global map (not to mention your character's mortality) means you'll never be able to control everything.

Basically, Crusader Kings 2 is only repetitive if the player allows it to be.

By virtue of their power, your power, and the power of those around each of you, they will be funneled into predictable (or semi-predictable) tactics that appears to gvie them 'personality.' You'll always have that one neighbour that keeps fabricating claims, or that one relative that keeps trying to kill heirs, or that one vassel that just can't stay satisified; it's unfuriating and its awesome. This, coupled with the sheer scope of the global map (not to mention your character's mortality) means you'll never be able to control everything.

That's acceptable, thanks. The previous quote of "you almost have to roleplay with yourself" made it sound like there was no sense of intelligent forces weaving their own way through the various empires.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
That's acceptable, thanks. The previous quote of "you almost have to roleplay with yourself" made it sound like there was no sense of intelligent forces weaving their own way through the various empires.

Roleplaying a personal narrative of what happens goes a long way. You may also want to check the LP link I posted above if you want further help getting started and into the game more.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You get out of CK2 what you put into it. What's not going to happen is a digital GRRM fellating you in your seat. But if you make the effort to create a narrative of your escapades, you'll quickly find that CK2 tells some of the best "stories" in the medium.

And this is true of any Grand Strategy game, really.

You get out of CK2 what you put into it. What's not going to happen is a digital GRRM fellating you in your seat. But if you make the effort to create a narrative of your escapades, you'll quickly find that CK2 tells some of the best "stories" in the medium.

Yup, basically.

If you play the same lineage long enough, you'll be making your own rivals, enemies, and allies without even trying.

It is almost magical how well CK2 aids in the creation of a player-driven story through its events, character traits, and political actions. I reckon that's a big reason why it took off the way it did - Paradox absolutely nailed it.

Well, sure. I've played a lot of Romance of the Three Kingdoms and you pretty much have to roleplay everything. I just assumed that CK2 was more sophisticated in making a rich and believable world around you, and it sounds that it is.

Pollux

Any good LPs on how to get claims in CK2 that will stay in your "realm" as your vassal, personal or held by someone else, when you press the claim?

Fitz

Any good LPs on how to get claims in CK2 that will stay in your "realm" as your vassal, personal or held by someone else, when you press the claim?

If you're pressing someone else's claim, they'll become your vassal if they're either already your vassal (invite to court, give landed title) or are a member of your dynasty, as long as you're not pushing for a title equal or higher rank than your own of course.

Pollux

If you're pressing someone else's claim, they'll become your vassal if they're either already your vassal (invite to court, give landed title) or are a member of your dynasty, as long as you're not pushing for a title equal or higher rank than your own of course.
Ohh. That makes parts of CK2 so much easier. Now I'm not going to have to wait on fabricating claims to expand my realm. Thanks!

Is it possible to enjoy these game in short bursts (like half an hour maybe)? I used to play Victoria 2 quite a bit but whenever I sat down it always took over an hour for a game to really get going.

Fitz

Absolutely, it'll vary with each game and depends on your position, but I find that with EU especially, it's perfectly feasible. You just need to avoid more complex situations, playing within the HRE for example requires a bit more thought and so might not be as simple to just sit down and go. But a straight-forward colonial game with a nation such as Portugal would be easy to jump in to and go.

Is it possible to enjoy these game in short bursts (like half an hour maybe)? I used to play Victoria 2 quite a bit but whenever I sat down it always took over an hour for a game to really get going.

I can't remember for EU4, but in Crusader Kings 2 you can save anywhere and there are multiple speed settings. So, as long as you can remember what you were doing it shouldn't be a problem.

These games should not be called grand strategy games. They should be called strategy games.

The games that have an incorrect label are those we traditionally call strategy games. A lot of them are not about strategy but rather about tactics. They should be called tactics games and should not be called strategy games.

I blame the education system for people not knowing the distinction between tactics and strategy.

Shengar

These games should not be called grand strategy games. They should be called strategy games.

The games that have an incorrect label are those we traditionally call strategy games. A lot of them are not about strategy but rather about tactics. They should be called tactics games and should not be called strategy games.

I blame the education system for people not knowing the distinction between tactics and strategy.

I think the name RTS is appropriate for traditional RTS game that have base building and resource collecting because those two are part of strategy (which is why DoW 2 is closer to squad tactics than RTS). Considering the scale of Grand Strategy compared to any of its contemporary in the same strategy genre, I think the name is fitting too.

How about Grand Tactics?

Grand Tactic could only made possible by Warhammer: Total War or Warhammaer 40k: Total War games.

Bacon

A couple of extra musical tracks and some unique sprites for Muslim countries, IIRC. It's not significant, has 0 gameplay impact if that's what you're wondering.

Yup that was what I was wondering. Thanks for the info.

As a newcomer should I buy any dlc or will the vanilla game suffice for now?

Yup that was what I was wondering. Thanks for the info.

As a newcomer should I buy any dlc or will the vanilla game suffice for now?

I'm so used to having all the DLC that I legitimately don't know what having the DLC packs versus just the latest patch changes, lol.

Art of War was amazing but I'm not sure how many of its changes are included in the base game for the latest patch.

Bacon

I'm so used to having all the DLC that I legitimately don't know what having the DLC packs versus just the latest patch changes, lol.

Art of War was amazing but I'm not sure how many of its changes are included in the base game for the latest patch.

That's understandable. It's only $15 more to get all the dlc so I may just go that route anyway.

Love EU4, even though I'm only average at it. Art of War expansion that released a few months back is practically EU5 for all the additions it makes.

If you're going to nab EU4, I'd say that Art of War and Wealth of Nations are definitely necessary.

Love EU4, even though I'm only average at it. Art of War expansion that released a few months back is practically EU5 for all the additions it makes.

If you're going to nab EU4, I'd say that Art of War and Wealth of Nations are definitely necessary.

Alright, you've convinced me.

GMG with one of their coupons is probably the cheapest place to get it right now, assuming the codes will work on it to begin with. Loyalty discount codes (-22%) definitely work, even on newer releases like these.

Pociask

Man, that steam sale... I've been looking to jump into EU, but still just have vanilla CK2 and could snap up some expansions. Time is my big limiting factor,so get both is not realistic. Hrm.....

Man, that steam sale... I've been looking to jump into EU, but still just have vanilla CK2 and could snap up some expansions. Time is my big limiting factor,so get both is not realistic. Hrm.....

Load up on the CK2 add-ons. It's amazing the differences they make to the experience. Ones I'd suggest in particular are:

Old Gods (play as Pagans / Norse, earlier time period start)
Sword of Islam (play as Muslims)
The new "Way of Life" add-on for more RP hilarity.

Most add-ons also add a ton of new events and the more of those you have the more diverse every game session becomes.

I find CK2 leaps and bounds more engrossing than EU4, though the latter is still a very good game.

Cerity

Man, I bought CK2 complete the other day, just loaded it up and I'm finding it more daunting than DF. I tried reading that LP but figured I'd probably get a better idea if I just started playing. That was a big fat nope, guess I got a fair bit of reading to do.

Yeah those are the big ones. Conquest of Paradise if you want to play natives of Americas or colonizing is too taxing on you. Res Puplica if you want to play the small mechant nations, Venice, Genoa etc. The Digital Extreme edition and Pre-order "pack" could be worth it if you plan to play a lot of Islamic nations (Digital EE) or Byzantium (Pre-order). Oh and the 'Murican Dream if you wan't mess around with the US.

The rest is only visuals or music, visuals were kind of a waste before because you didn't see the units unless you wanted to play zoomed in the whole time, now the battle results actually show those. The music is quite good generally, AoW pack maybe not so much, that I recommend those.

Also, I have a spare CK2 lying around in my Steam inventory.
Is there a easy/smart way to get rid off it here if I don't want to have a PM flood? Also I haven't gifted stuff in a while so I don't remember/know what it gives you if you send it by email.

The Llama

I'm very tempted to buy it, but I already own EU3 and haven't played it yet. Should I start out by trying EU3 to see if I like it before buying EU4, or is EU4 different enough that they're not very similar experiences?
I actually just watched some videos of EU3 the other day because I had forgotten what it was like. It's definitely similar enough that you could try to learn EU3 first, but EU4 is a far superior game so if you're serious about it I'd just get it.

Kabouter

I'm very tempted to buy it, but I already own EU3 and haven't played it yet. Should I start out by trying EU3 to see if I like it before buying EU4, or is EU4 different enough that they're not very similar experiences?
I'd just grab EU4 tbh

Trigonx

In EU4, I wish I would have known about the religious leagues in the AoW expansion. I was Emperor as Protestant Prussia with all 7 electors backing me. I just bought the expansions and turned em on, boot up my game and find out I am not eligible to be emperor and my ruler then dies in a few days after an unpause. Oldenburg became emperor and I am now destroying the catholic league. It's funny right now, 3 electors are backing France for now since it's Catholic but it joined me to crush the catholic league.

hunchback

I think after reading all of the positive reviews that I'm going to try CK2. I tried the first Heart's of Iron but couldn't get into it. But CK2 sounds more my style right now. Thanks for creating this thread.

I just noticed that Sengoku on Steam is £1.99 until 2nd Jan. I've seen it mentioned and figured i'd post a reminder.

I lucked out a few years ago when a massive Paradox bundle was on sale at something like 90% off! Almost their entire catalogue on Steam for about £30. Bought! I've since dabbled in a couple of them and regularly buy the DLC when on sale too.

I thoroughly recommend looking at some After Action Reports (AAR) on Paradox Plaza for inspiration and entertainment. I'll have to raid my old bookmarks to check for others.

hunchback

Does anyone else take forever deciding on your first wife in CK2? I sit there comparing each and every attribute. What is best for your first wife? Do you want one that marries for love? Which of her skills or traits are most important? I tried following the LP that someone posted, but it didn't play out like the LP and I was overwhelmed pretty quickly. The names of people and land are different also. I'm really enjoying myself even though I know I'm just scratching the surface of the game.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
- You want a lot of traits like "Kind" and "Patient" if you want her to be a good mother to your children.
- You want good congenital traits (shaped like a heart) if you're implementing a eugenics program.
- You want her Intrigue to be as low as possible because your wife can be very good at sabotaging you if she doesn't like you.
- You should aim for neutral personality stats that are compatible with yours. So, a Zealot and a Cynic is no bueno, or Gregarious and Shy.
- If you want her to be a baby factory, you should look for traits like Lust or the gold education traits that give bonuses to Fertility.
- Her Stewardship gets added to yours for the sake of calculating Demesne size, so you want a really high Stewardship, which works well with the gold educational traits

tl;dr

Genes > Childbearing > Childrearing > Political naivete

rickyson1

so i'm considering buying some EU4 music packs,thoughts on them?

there appear to be 4 of them at the moment(songs of war,republican music pack,songs of the new world,guns,drums and steel music pack)

Top Bottom