• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk next-gen game engines

i-Lo

One thing I hope doesn't creep into next console generation that on PC is still controllable is: Over-usage of HBAO

In MoH, it look downright horrendous.

eso76

Or Project Cars, a game so good-looking it's almost impossible to tell screenshots of it from the real thing:

in selected screenshots like the ones you posted yeah, and technically speaking it's doing amazing things, but despite being technically much much much more advanced it doesn't touch GT5 in terms of visual realism.

Portugeezer

Twilight Princess Engine

Looks like this?

- On Wii U

20gm5c.gif

KageMaru

Twilight Princess Engine

Looks like this?

- On Wii U

20gm5c.gif

There's nothing "next gen" about that tech demo. Everything in that demo we've already seen in current gen games.

This is coming from someone who considers the Wii-U a next gen system, but not on the technical side.

I am really waiting to see what frostbite can do next gen. I've always been curious to see how it can handle the 3rd person sandbox open world game. Just imagining a fully destructable gta like game (saints row?) makes me giddy, cause you know 'Some people just want to watch the world burn'.

KageMaru

Maybe, but personally for me it does look better than any game on the HD twins...besides maybe the Last of Us or something.

That would be entirely down to your preference of the art. On a technical level, there's nothing new in the demo.

Personally I think UC2, RDR, Halo 4, GoW3, Gears 3, etc. are more impressive. Of course we're comparing a tech demo in a single room to full games.

I am really waiting to see what frostbite can do next gen. I've always been curious to see how it can handle the 3rd person sandbox open world game. Just imagining a fully destructable gta like game (saints row?) makes me giddy, cause you know 'Some people just want to watch the world burn'.

oh man i wish, i've always wanted this.

Hulk ultimate destruction last gen just didn't do it :(

and Red Faction Guerilla doesn't have an urban environment.

I just want the next Souls game to use a mainstream engine like Unreal, Cry, or even Unity. Surely that would do SOMETHING to address the sloppy collision detection and general weirdness? Also, easier to have a serviceable PC version on day one!
I think that is more indicative of the talents of the dev team than the engine.

Maybe, but personally for me it does look better than any game on the HD twins...besides maybe the Last of Us or something.

I'm having a hard time thinking this looks better than Crysis 3. Yet these two games aren't comparable. One goes for photographic realism and the other goes for style. Two differing styles involved, so it's impossible to call any game engine better looking. What might this engine be able to do in the hands of a different artist is a valid question though.

Was it the artist intent to paint the best looking picture he could or did he just want to capture a style for a game? Or is it a combination of both?

Scrabble

I'm a harsh critic of the wii u, especially when it comes to the power of the system, but with that said that Zelda demo looks by far better than anything on ps3 or 360. Whether or not a wii u game will ever look that good remains to be seen.

lefantome

UE 3/4 seems the most promising based of what we have seen.

Can't wait to see the next gen edition of CryEngine 3, Frostbite and hopefully Source 2

Luminous is crap, we only saw a demo of 3d art + some cool stuff but it's really far away from an actual game.

Portugeezer

I'm a harsh critic of the wii u, especially when it comes to the power of the system, but with that said that Zelda demo looks by far better than anything on ps3 or 360. Whether or not a wii u game will ever look that good remains to be seen.

Agreed. I am also a sceptic of Wii U, however I am sure it's not much more powerful than the current 360/PS3, but it does have some potential which I think only a handful of games will show.

I don't know why, but Zelda tech demo reminds me of Witcher 2 on PC, which undoubtedly looks better than any console game. Might be the way the stone reflects light, kind of reminds me of the second act, but definitely a visually appealing game/demo. Fox Engine is on 360/PS3 which is why I also posted Wii U stuff :p

With Zelda Wii U I don't doubt that graphics/visual fidelity will be one of the top priorities.

UE 3/4 seems the most promising based of what we have seen.

Can't wait to see the next gen edition of CryEngine 3, Frostbite and hopefully Source 2

Luminous is crap, we only saw a demo of 3d art + some cool stuff but it's really far away from an actual game.
You know, if they can get rid of the "this looks like an UE game" then I agree it's promising. If it's more friendly to large/open world games it would help.

Ahasverus

UE engine is absolutely horrible, that shiny look, that desproportionate human proportions, that texture pop in, that bad framerate, that muddy look, that inability to make expansive worlds (it's a very narrow engine, zero flexibility).. I HATED it this gen (I think the only good looking games on UE3 are the batman games, gears and bulletstorm) and UE4 while good in those tech demos still has that UE look that I don't like. Samaritan donesn't look special at all.

But the other engines, omg I want them in my veins!

UE engine is absolutely horrible
Opinion, I'll grant you that
that shiny look
Not the engine, that's the shaders
that desproportionate human proportions
That has absolutely nothing to do with the engine, that's entirely up to the art design
that texture pop in
Was fixed after the first generation of UE3 games
that bad framerate
Maybe on consoles... [/pcmasterrace]
that muddy look
Again, art direction. Mirror's Edge is anything but muddy.
that inability to make expansive worlds (it's a very narrow engine, zero flexibility)..
What? People are making MMOs (DC Universe Online, TERA, Blade & Soul) using this engine. That's plenty 'expansive' by my book!

I HATED it this gen (I think the only good looking games on UE3 are the batman games, gears and bulletstorm) and UE4 while good in those tech demosstill have that UE look that I don't look. Samaritan donesn't look espcial at all.
Again, art direction. Samaritan probably has the same art director as the guy who worked on the Gears games, hence the exaggerated proportions and the like. That's not the fault of the engine, that's just the artists doing their thing. (Wow, how many times have I repeated this?)

For examples of games with distinctive looks that still use Unreal Engine 3:
Blade & Soul, TERA, Hawken, Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect 2 or 3, Star Wars 1313, XCOM: Enemy Unknown (I didn't even know this game used UE3...), Dust 514, Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, Alice: Madness Returns... they're pretty much all good examples of what you can accomplish with the engine with strong art direction.

But the other engines, omg I want them in my veins!
No disagreement here. ;)

Ahasverus

Hahah fair enough arguments up here!

To clarify, I KNOW Samaritan looks better than this gen, but no "next gen" better, I see it like a beefed up current gen game and as it's running on UE3 not 4 I think it is. I expect things like Crysis 3 at max for next gen out of the box, Im'm ready to be dissapointed though.

Was fixed after the first generation of UE3 games
ME3 disagrees hahah

That has absolutely nothing to do with the engine, that's entirely up to the art design
I dunno, I haven't seen a single realistic looking UE3 human model. Perhaps it's not a limitation, perhaps it is.

And I just read about how the shiny look comes from the default shaders and only lazy art directors use them, but damn, there are a lot of lazy art directors :p then UE4 should have better default shaders, please. Still, it looks cartoony for me, and it doesn't have the qualities of other good engines (Avalanche for example reneders ridicously large worlds with enough detail, CryEngine 3 is just a marvel etc...)

ACH1LL3US

I expect things like Crysis 3 at max for next gen out of the box, Im'm ready to be dissapointed

I am sorry my friend but be prepared to be VERY disappointed :

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rdGmH2AFvQo

Next gen will not look like Crysis 3 maxed out, this gen couldn't even come close to crysis 1 maxed out, what makes you think next gen will at 1080p?

I have to say the amount of ignorance to how much power is needed to run a game like that max is staggering.

Reiko

Banned

Next gen will not look like Crysis 3 maxed out, this gen couldn't even come close to crysis 1 maxed out, what makes you think next gen will at 1080p?

I have to say the amount of ignorance to how much power is needed to run a game like that max is staggering.

If you think Crysis 3 maxed out represents the best next gen will have to offer... Then I have a boat to sell you.

Ahasverus

Then what is next gen, then :(

You win this time!

First my slowpoke thread gets .. slowpoked, then I went full retard here. I think I'll rest up from gaf for the night hahahaha

And I just read about how the shiny look comes from the default shaders and only lazy art directors use them, but damn, there are a lot of lazy art directors :p then UE4 should have better default shaders, please. Still, it looks cartoony for me, and it doesn't have the qualities of other good engines (Avalanche for example reneders ridicously large worlds with enough detail, CryEngine 3 is just a marvel etc...)
Well, 'lazy' is a bit of a loaded term. In actuality, researching and implementing a proper BDRF model is a non-trivial task, one that many developers simply don't have the budget for, hence they just end up using what comes with the engine by default.

It's for this reason that Cryengine 3 games tend to look so good - the BDRF model and the associated shaders are already pretty damn good, so developers can start swinging for the fences right off the bat.

Ahasverus

Well, 'lazy' is a bit of a loaded term. In actuality, researching and implementing a proper BDRF model is a non-trivial task, one that many developers simply don't have the budget for, hence they just end up using what comes with the engine by default.

It's for this reason that Cryengine 3 games tend to look so good - the BDRF model and the associated shaders are already pretty damn good, so developers can start swinging for the fences right off the bat.

Great info, thank you! I think people sometimes sound too harsh.

Scrabble

You think your going to get that kind of graphic quality at 1080p with a ps4 or Xbox 720?

Funny because before this generation people were saying the same thing about Half Life 2, Doom 3, FEAR, etc. And now current gen games are so far ahead of those graphically it's not even comparable. Consoles can go a long way on dedicated hardware over the course of a generation.

On a related point, as someone who's been following the graphics race since I was a child (I'm 24 now, so this is basically my entire life), it's truly amazing how far we've come in such a short time.

I remember when I first saw bump mapping in action. It was a real Eureka! moment for me. The possibilities just made my head spin! Nowadays, I take things like normal mapping and specular reflections for granted, and instead what I find state-of-the-art are things like fancy new BDRF models, per-object motion blur (I STILL want every game to include this, or if not, for it to be a driver shader option ala ambient occlusion), dynamic global illumination, better anti-aliasing techniques and fancy physics-based particle effects. Golly, the complexity has gone up tremendously since the days when Half-Life 2 was just a blip on the horizon (and many people assumed it to be vaporware).

i-Lo

While I am not going as rude, I have kept my expectations in check. I expect the first generation PS4 or Xbox 3 games to look like the best looking games out for PS3 and 360 that are up-rez'd and anti-aliased with perhaps better real time shadows.

In time however, hopefully, games will look as good as BF3 at somewhere between high and max setting with optimization.

In the twilight years, we should see games that come somewhere close to Crysis 3 in effects but not in resolution.

Reiko

Banned
While I am not going as rude, I have kept my expectations in check. I expect the first generation PS4 or Xbox 3 games to look like the best looking games out for PS3 and 360 that are up-rez'd and anti-aliased with perhaps better real time shadows.

In time however, hopefully, games will look as good as BF3 at somewhere between high and max setting with optimization.

In the twilight years, we should see games that come somewhere close to Crysis 3 in effects but not in resolution.

BF4 is rumored to be running in 60fps on next gen consoles. Dream a little bigger darling.

Mik2121

Yeah... no please. If Dark Souls used UE3 the collisions would most likely be much worse, if every other UE3 game I've seen is any indication.

And DEAR GOD, NOT UNITY. D:

The hell? Ahahahaha.... what?

No, really... what?

You know that the collisions are up to the developer? You know that you can import your own collision meshes (most likely what they use in Dark Souls) and simply apply the same ones within Unreal Engine?

But really, if you have no clue about how an engine works, stop posting stuff like that because it's just ridiculous...

Top Bottom