• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk PENS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
cmcn404800_master.jpg

Alx

Lamy Safari

19_white_FH_ger.jpg

Edit: LOL, good choice snaggletooth.

I used those Lamy pens during high school and even a bit later... they're great, but since I don't live in Germany (they're German, right ?) it was a pain to find cartridges for them. I had to devise tricky systems to transfer ink from a regular cartridge to an old Lamy one...

Now my go-to pen is the classic bic crystal pen.
I've also been offered a fancy (and expensive) pen, not a Mont Blanc but something similar, and while it's very nice and works great, I'm fine with basic ones.

I used those Lamy pens during high school and even a bit later... they're great, but since I don't live in Germany (they're German, right ?) it was a pain to find cartridges for them. I had to devise tricky systems to transfer ink from a regular cartridge to an old Lamy one...

There are converters that let you suck in ink from an inkpot. Much cheaper than those cartridges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=smUqQZF7VkY

Slermy

Currently using some rotring "core" pens, though I did use a Tomb Raider edition Waterman for a while (until someone stole it in college).

Funnily enough, I really like Paper Mate's Eraser Mate pens. Not really for the erasable aspect of them, but I find the consistency of the ink easy to work with when drawing.

Akira

OP gets it wrong already. I bought a box of the Pilot G-2 because I read so many good reviews about them but they are just plain terrible to write or draw with. Inconsistent, broken lines and faded blacks. They are good if you are looking for a pen that will automatically do dashed lines ala Adobe Illustrator. I switched to a refill from a random Chinese brand (M&G) and put it into the Pilot G-2 and just like that, the pen improved tremendously. Solid, dark black lines, no smears.

This might be either because the box I bought is a bad batch or the G-2 quality worsened recently. I bought one Pilot G-2 years ago and they were just decent, not as bad as it is now.

ToxicAdam

OP gets it wrong already. I bought a box of the Pilot G-2 because I read so many good reviews about them but they are just plain terrible to write or draw with. Inconsistent, broken lines and faded blacks. They are good if you are looking for a pen that will automatically do dashed lines ala Adobe Illustrator. I switched to a refill from a random Chinese brand (M&G) and put it into the Pilot G-2 and just like that, the pen improved tremendously. Solid, dark black lines, no smears.

This might be either because the box I bought is a bad batch or the G-2 quality worsened recently. I bought one Pilot G-2 years ago and they were just decent, not as bad as it is now.

I find it hard to believe you had a G2 that gave you faded blacks. It's the darkest, boldest pen I have ever used (among mass-produced, affordable pens).

akira28

Milky pens are my shit GAF!

VK5MO.jpg

I dated this office products junior exec, and she actually tracked down a set of these for me. They had been discontinued for years. I was pretty impressed, still love that.

Anyway, look at this milky. Aren't they awersome?

blanky

http://www.everydaypens.com/290-1123-large/parker-jotter-ballpoint-pen.jpg[IMG]

Parker Jotter Ballpoint Pen. My alltime fav.[/QUOTE]

I have that one but in an entire brushed alu finish. Really nice and doesnt break after two weeks like those bic ones, mostly my own fault though ;p

e5iS9.jpg

I've been using a set of these bad boys for a while. Kind of thicker with a gel-like feel without actually being gel, I guess. I'm no penologist, but they seem good.

Anyone use those pen's with the thicker round and clear body? I used to in high school and I ended up hating them after a couple broke in my pocket.

Big-E

Anyone remember those pens when a lot of us were kids that could open up and have games for you to play? I remember one where you could open it up and you could shoot 3 basketballs at a hoop.

I used to have one of those spy camera pens and used it to take upskirt pics/short vids, it died after a month.

Crappy pen, crappy camera but at least I have a couple of blurry panty shots. Amirite?!

from high school to about a couple years ago, i used these exclusively, incredibly comfortable in the hand, and the click is almost silent, so i can click it as much as i want when i'm bored and not bother anyone.

BICVCG11BK_L.jpg

lately i've been picking these up. i tried it out because this one waitress at a chilis had one, and i was like, hey this is pretty nice. so the next day i bought a pack.
225168276.jpg

one thing i will say though, my mom used to bring me medicine brand pens from the hospital, those have always been the best pens i've ever used, though i've lost all of th e ones i got from her since she'd bring me new ones often.

Chuckl3s

I guess this bad boy was created for the government.

Welcome all pen collectors and all-purpose pen users. We are fortunate enough to offer the new Embassy Pen after recently acquiring a small batch from a government contract. The pen is robust and made to last a lifetime; whether it's on the training field or in the office. A black medium SPR4 pressurized Fisher Space Pen refill, good from -30F to +250F is included. The machined deep knurled grip is made for non-slip use. The built in 301 grade stainless steel clip provides a secure fit in your front shirt pocket or in your EDC bag.

I might get one soon. For now I just run with the Sharpie Pen. It works.

FyreWulff

So....any pen then?

My hands are so hot that other people will have me cover their hands with my hands in the winter to warm them back up. Outside. And I haven't been wearing gloves.

So the cheapo ones they give you in school and shit always explode if I have to use them for an extended period of time.

btkadams

i didn't really understand people who had a pen they loved to use until a few months ago. my parents got me one as a graduation gift and i've been using it a lot. i got dark brown ink for it and it's DOPE. it's a fountain pen, which i had never used before. it writes so well. the brand is s.t.dupont, but i have no idea what model or whatever.

qtA1h.png

it's too bad that i'm a product of growing up with computers and have such crappy penmanship. i can definitely already see my writing getting better though. i barely wrote with a pen at all in university, but i am doing it frequently at work.

I used to stick with G2s, but I never really loved them. They're okay but nothing special.

Got one of these the other day...

slider-memo.jpg

And man, holy shit. It's amazing. Not the best looking pen around but has the most "effortless" feel I've ever encountered. Not that I've used a tons of pens or anything.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
from high school to about a couple years ago, i used these exclusively, incredibly comfortable in the hand, and the click is almost silent, so i can click it as much as i want when i'm bored and not bother anyone.

BICVCG11BK_L.jpg
Just got handed one of these for the first time yesterday, while sitting in someone's office, drawing a picture. I reeeeally liked how it felt. Probably will be replacing the G2 as my go-to pen.

I didn't accept when the person whose it was offered to let me keep the pen, and now I miss it. Must buy some asap.

i saw this the other week. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/klinkokids/solid-titanium-pen-stylus just didn't have enough money for it. probably will get one since i love me some pens.

saw that when i was finding the link, looks really nice as well.

another pen i liked before losing it was a Retro 51 pen, think it was a Tornado Classic http://www.retro51.com/e_whatsnew.html

they look really nice and are lovely to write with if you like pens that run a bit.

fwi_vintage_largen3u16.jpg

HoodWinked

i remember a long time ago my cousin had this 3 in one pen and depending on the orrientation of the pen you would get a pen or a pencil or a highlighter. but the mechanism to determine what would come out was based on what letter was facing up. was really cool and novel when i saw it.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I have a fasination with Uni-Ball pens

Uni-ball Signo 207 Premier Roller Ball Pen, Silver Barrel, Medium Point, Black Ink
210I9jWgdvL.jpg

uni-ball Roller Grip Fine Point Roller Ball Pens, Blue Ink
21YechrnrdL.jpg

Since I like to draw, the Staedtler Mars Technico is my weapon of choice; comfortable, classy, and it's 2mm lead is perfect for quick sketches.

6ef03380ee55e4516876d695835f7902eb.jpg

Dom Brunt

This guy comes into our work once or twice a year to beg for promotional pens. He takes the round of all the open businesses in the area, and can wait for days just to "speak to the boss", since this is an important matter that cannot be resolved by mere underlings. He always wears a t-shirt with the slogan "Friends of the Promotional Pen", which is a club. Here's a photo from one of their other members:

home01.jpg

Holy shit this is a thing? I think I might need to join that club. Not quite at that level yet but I do have a fixation for promotional pens and collect them but I don't go around companies asking for them... yet. I'd take a picture of my collection but it pales in comparison to that pic :/ But my pens have much more color and shape variation at least. I don't think I've ever actually bought a ballpoint pen, I only have the free promotional ones.

In addition to ballpoint pens I really like this one, good for writing and drawing:

media.nl

And if I need something thicker:

400-zwart.jpg

XenoRaven

Pens pens pens!

What are your favorite pens, fellow Gaffers? Gel? Fine or Thick? Blue or black (fuck you, purple)?

My favorite are the Pilot G-2 in 1.0 size. If you can write on a nice stack of paper (which I think is crucial), then you will never feel like using another pen again.

gwTob.jpg
Oh man, the G-2 is my favorite pen. I never thought I would like a pen so much. I go for the 07. Perfect size. I tried the 10 once and it was too thick for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom