• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk PENS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stet

Banned
jEFKOK2is05d2.jpg

Ink of the gods.

DJ_Lae

My current most-used pen is very similar to that G2, just Zebra's version:

imU9XecTeeit2.jpg

Though I have a soft spot and a couple of older Zebras that I used a lot in university (along with the mechanical pencil version). Need to buy refills.

iS4iDCxNy7d4V.jpg

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
I used to stick with G2s, but I never really loved them. They're okay but nothing special.

Got one of these the other day...

slider-memo.jpg

And man, holy shit. It's amazing. Not the best looking pen around but has the most "effortless" feel I've ever encountered. Not that I've used a tons of pens or anything.

slider memo are excellent pens, practically my whole office uses them. i love the feel but i hate how thick they write. if you write small like i do, it can be a problem.

My current most-used pen is very similar to that G2, just Zebra's version:

imU9XecTeeit2.jpg

Though I have a soft spot and a couple of older Zebras that I used a lot in university (along with the mechanical pencil version). Need to buy refills.

iS4iDCxNy7d4V.jpg

I knew I remembered Zebra for a reason... those pens are great! I'm going to have to look for some of those, too... and yes, their mechanical pencils were awesome as well.

thomaser

Holy shit this is a thing? I think I might need to join that club. Not quite at that level yet but I do have a fixation for promotional pens and collect them but I don't go around companies asking for them... yet. I'd take a picture of my collection but it pales in comparison to that pic :/ But my pens have much more color and shape variation at least. I don't think I've ever actually bought a ballpoint pen, I only have the free promotional ones.

Yep, it's a thing. The biggest collection in the world supposedly belongs to a woman in Germany with over 300000 of them. They mostly collect cheap or free promotional pens, though, not the ones that are nice to write with. Here's another collector:

Finn-Johansen.jpg

I love how they have special display shelves for their pens. I wonder who makes them. Probably just one guy with a world monopoly on pen-shelving.

Arcteryx

Those are some sexy looking pens. I'm gonna have to look those up because they look so nice...

Just found the model #, Rotring 600 Rollerball; they are kind of rare nowadays, but you can find them on eBay/Japanese stationery stores for a lot less than at most stores($60ish vs almost $200 at Montgomery Pens).

Didn't realize they were getting that expensive. I bought the pen and pencil in a set for ~$70 five years ago...holy crap at prices now.

Pilgor

I love pens. I have a small collection of fountain pens, and these two are my favorite.

Montblanc Meisterstuck 149. It writes beautifully, filled with permanent Montblanc Midnight Blue ink, which is a black blue.

S. T. Dupont 007 limited edition fountain pen, based on their Olympio model. This is the smoothest and nicest writing pen I have ever used, filled with blue ink.

Dom Brunt

They mostly collect cheap or free promotional pens, though, not the ones that are nice to write with.

Nah, pretty many of my promotional pens are really good to write with. Then again I've never tried any expensive pens so... But I'm not a pen elitist, I care more about a pen's personality and I think the high-quality ones are just so uninteresting. Also wtf at some of their prices, I saw one in a bookstore in Berlin that cost several hundred euros, umm why... It's a pen, not jewelry.

S. T. Dupont 007 limited edition fountain pen, based on their Olympio model. This is the smoothest and nicest writing pen I have ever used, filled with blue ink.

I've never tried a fountain pen but because of this thred I kinda want to now.

Oh man. I'm a pen maniac! I have a big ol' bag of pens from when I was younger and I couldn't help myself from shopping for awesome pens :x I've slowed down a lot since then, but I still can't resist popping into Kinokuniya and ogling their selection from time to time.

My favorite everyday pen (at the moment) is the Pilot Easy Touch:

I prefer blue ink over black. Dunno why

My favorite fancy pen that I bought is the Cross Classic Century (for hand-writing letters) :

31WChsRTAlL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

It's the perfect weight & width, though the ink can be kinda smeary :\ I still love it, though.

jbcKHKMMjo0oD6.jpg

At the moment, but I've just gotten into trying out a bunch of new pens for the new semester. This one writes really smoothly and finely, so I'm liking it so far.

Prez

Is it possible there's lead in the blue plastic of BIC pens? I've been chewing on those my entire life, oh god.

Silkworm

I love pens. I have a small collection of fountain pens, and these two are my favorite.

Montblanc Meisterstuck 149. It writes beautifully, filled with permanent Montblanc Midnight Blue ink, which is a black blue.

Just curious, I saw that a new Montblanc was going for $810 at amazon.com. I couldn't find a price on the S.T. Dupont 007 but I'm guessing it might be north of $1000? Quite nice standouts from your collection and it's apparent you are a serious fountain pen collector :)

Grakl

iS4iDCxNy7d4V.jpg

One of my favorite cheaper pens as well - great weight for flipping/spinning, too.

mackattk

I am partial to the Pilot G2 line of pens, but have thought about expanding my tastes. Things like pens, pencils, scissors, general office supplies are so pleasant to splurge a little on.

I do have this pencil that I absolutely love.

Pentel Sharp Kerry .5mm

I might try a lamy safari fountain pen, since it seems to be pretty nice, and looks to be a good price entry point.

gazzellone

Neo Member
Pilot G-TEC-C4, is the best pen i can think of
31cFlVM8pcL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Excellent for both writing and drawing/sketching (awesome for architecture), and in my opinion better than the G2.

Sera O

Banned
Looks like there are lots of fellow safari users! They're awesome.

I just realized my collection is bigger than I thought. I have always had a thing for pens, especially fountain pens. In order of how often I use them:

Pilot Vanishing Point retractable, fine
31ocxG89EBL._AA300_.jpg

Pelikan Level 5, medium
-1506979707.jpg

Lamy Dialog ballpoint
21VrVQY7t3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Lamy Safari, fine
31D-jizcV5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Fisher Space pen
Classic%20Bullet%20Space%20Pen.jpg

Pilot M90, fine
top.jpg

I have some inherited parker, waterman and faber castell that aren't very nice to write with so they are stored away somewhere. Other than that, I use the pilot v5 disposables.

A while ago someone gave me a tip to just refill cartridges from the bottle with a inkjet refill syringe. Works like a charm and disposable cartridges are bigger than the officially reusable ones with the screw assembly, so I recommend trying it if you haven't.

fritolay

I never understood the fancy and expensive pen thing. Is it like owning a nice car, once you drive one you understand and want one. But a pen? Give me one that doesn't leak and I'll enjoy it for a day and the next I will have lost it anyway.

Pilgor

I never understood the fancy and expensive pen thing. Is it like owning a nice car, once you drive one you understand and want one. But a pen? Give me one that doesn't leak and I'll enjoy it for a day and the next I will have lost it anyway.

Similar to owning a nice watch.

Setre

GAF, I’ve never owned a good quality pen, recommend me one. Need it mostly for writing, maybe an occasional sketch. I also like a fine point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom