• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk Xbox 720: Xbox World shares everything it knows about the next console

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Never going to happen due to the cost. Expect both consoles to be offering something more like this for 3D and Augmented stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dnMsmajogA
Maybe, but the good large screens are now packed in smartphones that are dirt cheap. With manufacturing at such large scale I don't think price is that much of an issue anymore.

I'm aware of experiments like what you linked to but they're largely worthless for normal games, as the effect is not there when you're sitting still. Semi-transparent visor could do all kinds of ridiculous things, among others create a 3D image while you're looking at a standard screen. Speaking of Kinect, technology used in it was selling for $1000+ before MS packaged in a cheap, consumer friendly device.

Pretty sure hes not suggesting its going to match a PC set to ultra.

There are actually people suggesting/hoping it will(on gaf). Thinking Crysis 3 maxed, Witcher 2 maxed, Metro 2033 maxed 1080p+, will look like next xbox launch titles baffle me. Looking at a demo shown on a $1200 PC for an expo is not a good expectation for how it will look near-Day 1 on a $400 console(that's already being engineered and prepared for mass production fairly soon).

But yes, you will see SW1313 and Watch Dogs on the next xbox I'm sure. And they will look great. But when someone says "I expect _____ graphics at launch" and the only demo we've seen of _____ was on a top-end PC, it's a high expectation.

Sure, I'm not expecting them to match PCs inch for inch. But I'm definitely not expecting a significant difference like multiplat games right now.

There won't be an insanely large difference since the next xbox will be much more powerful. But PC games/engines will continue to be optimized to where the gap will increase again over time (snap in a gtx770 etc and there you go). By the end of the next xbox's lifespan, we'll most likely be where we are now regarding PC/consoles. But the PC will always have the edge in fidelity and specific graphical differences like AA and textures, which those games/demos shown on a gtx680(for example) have.

SSM25

So you expect launch games to match PCs that have $350 graphics cards(JUST the card), with the entire console having a launch price of $350? What? There will be SW1313 and Watch Dogs at launch potentially, but they will not have the textures, AA, 1080p, or IQ of their PC counterparts. As others have said, it's thermally and cost-wise impossible. You'll have some magic being done a few years into the consoles life, but they will obey thermal dynamics and other principles of physics and cost.

I think you are one of the people in the other threads talking this nonsense lol, I thought I recognized your avatar. Regardless, this article is a load of bunk. Of course the next xbox will be powerful, it's been nearly 10 years since the xbox 360. But seeing a game(especially one developed primarily on pc) run on a gtx680(or two) at E3 and going "that's going to look sick on the next xbox!" is accurate. Saying "that's going to look exactly the same/better on the next xbox!" is inaccurate.

And coupled to DDR RAM

jaypah

Poor MS. Everyone expect them to release more powerful, more RAM, cheaper and coming before Sony.

Quite lot of pressure to keep those expectation from people, otherwise lot of disappointment possibly.

This isn't the first time I've seen you say this and I don't see where it's even slightly a big deal. MS wants to sell at least 70 million Xbox 720s, you think they give a shit about what a few people on forums think? I seriously doubt they think about forum users "disappointment" when they're about to drop a billion dollars on launching a console. We don't pressure them into doing anything, otherwise the vocal minority would have their free online, Rare making platformers and no ads on the dashboard.

The only thing I can say for sure is that the next Xbox will be powerful, don't know about cheap, first, or most successful.
I just want to know if most games will be native 1080p, can you confirm? The resolution factor (720p to 1080p) was always the biggest graphical divide this gen between consoles and PC. If they end up being 720p...holy shit, I'd shed nerd tears.

squidyj

This is all I want for next gen. As soon as we get a toaster and coffee brewer in our consoles, I'm sold.

IN all actuality I would really like an integrated coffee maker. toaster can go fuck itself though

I wish all the devices in my house could make coffee... sometimes I wish my house was coffee but then I remember coffee is a liquid and would make a bad house.

I just want to know if most games will be native 1080p, can you confirm? The resolution factor (720p to 1080p) was always the biggest graphical divide this gen between consoles and PC. If they end up being 720p...holy shit, I'd shed nerd tears.

For next gen consoles I think 1080 vs 720 isn't a huge deal considering most people sit far away from their TVs (comfy couches!) Personally, I'd be happy to sacrifice 1080 resolution for a stable 60 fps and/or awesome eye candy.

Whatever OS that MS is developing for the 720 will likely be some kind of spinoff of Win8, so that porting between Win8, 720 and WinPhone 8 will be so attractive, developers will look at the competition and chuckle a little bit.

The problem with that is, at the moment, both Win8 and WinPhone8 are seriously stumbling in the marketplace. Unification is a great idea but all three platofrms need to be desirable for this plan to work.

MS is coming into its 3rd generation off of a HUGE success of a second gen.

Success, sure. Huge success? I wouldn't go that far. The numbers are not that bigger for 360 in order to clasify it as a huge success. I think it was more of a failure for Sony, since they were the ones that were coming off of a true huge success with the PS2.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
The problem with that is, at the moment, both Win8 and WinPhone8 are seriously stumbling in the marketplace. Unification is a great idea but all three platofrms need to be desirable for this plan to work.

But nonetheless, unification IS the way to go. MS just needs to continue pushing and showing of the benefits and possibilities, not only for consumers, but for developers and publishers.

Anyways, 720 (or X8ox) will have a variant of the Win8 Kernel.. so MS is already striving towards the unification model...

But nonetheless, unification IS the way to go. MS just needs to continue pushing and showing of the benefits and possibilities, not only for consumers, but for developers and publishers.

Anyways, 720 (or X8ox) will have a variant of the Win8 Kernel.. so MS is already striving towards the unification model...

That's fine, but ultimately I don't think gamers care.

MS risks alienating their userbase if they simply put a big push behind features and connected services and expect third parties to do the heavy lifting on the gaming side of things.

iceatcs

This isn't the first time I've seen you say this and I don't see where it's even slightly a big deal. MS wants to sell at least 70 million Xbox 720s, you think they give a shit about what a few people on forums think? I seriously doubt they think about forum users "disappointment" when they're about to drop a billion dollars on launching a console. We don't pressure them into doing anything, otherwise the vocal minority would have their free online, Rare making platformers and no ads on the dashboard.
That's okay. I'm happy you can wish whatever you want.
I just said poor MS because it has high or good expectation from gamers, investors and media. I didn't show/say anything care about what people think, but expect what people might felt. I'm showing my care for MS's pressure, not with the people's expectation.

ElfArmy177

For next gen consoles I think 1080 vs 720 isn't a huge deal considering most people sit far away from their TVs (comfy couches!) Personally, I'd be happy to sacrifice 1080 resolution for a stable 60 fps and/or awesome eye candy.

really? Cause battlefield 3 on my tv while sitting far away on the couch looks like dogshit. Jaggy blurry mess. No thanks. 1080p or I'm out.

edit: I still think its possible. I mean why the f not just give us current eye candy with higher resolution?

Here's my question though: Is Microsoft going for true unification, or are they going to limit it to the UI and leave it at that? In other words: Will I be able to play Halo 5 on my Windows 8 PC? Will I be able to play Rome II: Total War on my Xbox Next? Will I be able to play every XBLA game on my Windows Phone? Will these devices be completely interchangeable, with no artificial barriers set in place? If yes, great! If no, then unification is just a buzzword.

Eideka

Banned

At this point 1080p is a certainty. But, no that won't kill PC gaming if this is what you imply.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist

MS risks alienating their userbase if they simply put a big push behind features and connected services and expect third parties to do the heavy lifting on the gaming side of things.

Ok, my question is, what do gamers want?
MS push with this and going on forward, has to be that.. still keeping the core functions or the functionality and features that gamers are accostumed to and adding more features/services without taking away things..

With time, things should improve and MS should be able to see what features/functions can be removed due to lack of interest or that it just did not work..

However, MS should keep the things that gamers want.. (whatever that might be.. gamers can be a fickle bunch sometimes.. :)

Here's my question though: Is Microsoft going for true unification, or are they going to limit it to the UI and leave it at that? In other words: Will I be able to play Halo 5 on my Windows 8 PC? Will I be able to play Rome II: Total War on my Xbox Next? Will I be able to play every XBLA game on my Windows Phone? Will these devices be completely interchangeable, with no artificial barriers set in place? If yes, great! If no, then unification is just a buzzword.

Eventually, yes, this is something that will happen I think and that is the "true" meaning of unification I would say.

However, going there will take time but it has to start somewhere. For now, UI, services, and some cross-functionality will be able to happen for sure. Perhaps we will be able to see XBLA style games across all three plattforms.. but for the bigger games, then more things are needed (perhaps an onlive/galkai style of service?)..

But the point is that unification has to start somewhere, with something...

Beren

I just hope for no more jaggies ever and no more loading screens for next gen consoles :)

The new AR specs would work alongside Kinect or Omnitouch to turn your living room into a virtual reality environment in which game characters could appear, and even interact with objects in the real world.
And wtf is that about the game characters appearing on my room and touching my real life things what! they really expect someone to believe that? D:

jaosobno

But the point is that unification has to start somewhere, with something...

If you ask me, true unification can only be done via Cloud. As long as the game is made with specific hardware in mind (X720), he won't be able to play Halo 5 on his Win8 PC without Microsoft investing in a port. Such unification (consisting of constant porting of titles) would be very impractical. Of course, if Microsoft is willing to make every game effectively multiplatform title (X720/PC) from the start, it could be done in such a way, but in that case you lose the incentive to buy X720.

Personally, what I would like to see in X720 and its rumored new Live version is support for a greater number of countries. For those of us living in territories that are not officially Live supported, we are forced to create fake (usually UK) accounts if we want to access Live.

My first present gen console was X360, but after a year, being frustrated by constant need to use VPN solutions (since Microsoft does IP screening when verifying content restrictions) to download DLCs and certain demos (I think this only happened with 18+ content), I've switched to PS3 which has less strict content policy (verification is done by checking reported account address, plus my country is supported for both Store and PSN), not to mention my decision was helped by Microsoft's threats that they will ban anyone whose location and IP address don't match.

I hope that with X720/rumored New Live, Microsoft greatly expands upon number of supported countries. I just read an article which said that Windows Phone Store is available in 113 countries, let's hope that they will do the same with new Live.

Success, sure. Huge success? I wouldn't go that far. The numbers are not that bigger for 360 in order to clasify it as a huge success. I think it was more of a failure for Sony, since they were the ones that were coming off of a true huge success with the PS2.

They more than tripled their sales, and it's going to keep on selling for god knows how long. They actually made money on it, instead of losing billions of dollars. They managed to equalize the playing field when it comes to third parties and mind share. They managed to successfully capture all the main segments of the audience, losing the shooter-box label. They're doing great in the US and much better in Europe, although Sony is still ahead of them in that market. They managed to build Live into a hugely significant service that's making them loads of money. They're not seen as an underdog anymore, but a probable contender for the top spot next gen.

I don't know, that sounds pretty successful to me.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
If you ask me, true unification can only be done via Cloud. As long as the game is made with specific hardware in mind (X720), he won't be able to play Halo 5 on his Win8 PC without Microsoft investing in a port. Such unification (consisting of constant porting of titles) would be very impractical. Of course, if Microsoft is willing to make every game effectively multiplatform title (X720/PC) from the start, it could be done in such a way, but in that case you lose the incentive to buy X720.

Personally, what I would like to see in X720 and its rumored new Live version is support for a greater number of countries. For those of us living in territories that are not officially Live supported, we are forced to create fake (usually UK) accounts if we want to access Live.

My first present gen console was X360, but after a year, being frustrated by constant need to use VPN solutions (since Microsoft does IP screening when verifying content restrictions) to download DLCs and certain demos (I think this only happened with 18+ content), I've switched to PS3 which has less strict content policy (verification is done by checking reported account address, plus my country is supported for both Store and PSN), not to mention my decision was helped by Microsoft's threats that they will ban anyone whose location and IP address don't match.

I hope that with X720/rumored New Live, Microsoft greatly expands upon number of supported countries. I just read an article which said that Windows Phone Store is available in 113 countries, let's hope that they will do the same with new Live.

MS has invested lots in their cloud infrastructure (azure) so perhaps we can see some fruits of that with X8OX but I also agree/think that the cloud will have a major impact or major importance in this upcoming generation..

And I agree that XboxLIve service in every other region compared to the US, sucks! (or at least, is not as good). MS has to remedy this asap..

However, going there will take time but it has to start somewhere. For now, UI, services, and some cross-functionality will be able to happen for sure. Perhaps we will be able to see XBLA style games across all three plattforms.. but for the bigger games, then more things are needed (perhaps an onlive/galkai style of service?)...

I don't see any reason why bigger games can't be cross-platform between Xbox and PC right here, right now. The next Xbox is rumoured to be based on x86 and Windows 8 anyway, so it should be trivial to unify the two platforms. Why would we need to wait for that kind of functionality?

Sadly I think that in Microsoft's mind the only place to play "big" games locally (as in, not through streaming) is the Xbox, so I'm not that hopeful of true unification.

I don't know, that sounds pretty successful to me.

Absolutely, but not hugely so. In my mind the metric for a huge success is the PS2 domination.

I can't see how people are okay with 720p content scaled to their 1080p sets. It looks so bad compared to native even on a comfy couch.

DieH@rd

Banned
Lets recap the new rumors from "Chinese guy who works at AMD":

http://club.tgfcer.com/thread-6577631-1-1.html
-X720 will use HD8XXX
-GPU has a yield problem
-Console will only have one bigass APU
-"Console will use 285W of power", most likely thats a number for power supply/ac adapter [it will surely be capped at 60-70% to provide better thermals and reliability, so 170-180W is most likely we will ever see from it].
-Both X720 and PS4 will be powerful

http://club.tgfcer.com/thread-6586999-1-1.html
- repeted claim of 8850/8870 architecture in X720

http://club.tgfcer.com/viewthread.php?tid=6593085&page=2#pid15931245
- Durango APU will be 384bit

iceatcs

Yeah, I know.

Its funny, Internet is supposed to be international and global and we still have this fictive borders that really does not fit in the digital age..

It's shame really. Even Steam does region lock to account on some of their games.

I would love to see Global Xbox Live. Everyone get same contents from music/movie and XBLA, and moving the regional streamers (such as Netflix, iPlayer, etc) to app store.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
I don't see any reason why bigger games can't be cross-platform between Xbox and PC right here, right now. The next Xbox is rumoured to be based on x86 and Windows 8 anyway, so it should be trivial to unify the two platforms. Why would we need to wait for that kind of functionality?

Sadly I think that in Microsoft's mind the only place to play "big" games locally (as in, not through streaming) is the Xbox, so I'm not that hopeful of true unification.

The problem would be different platforms and thus, different hardware. It would be cool if there was some kind of software layer that handled scalability on each platform. SO basically, you code to that software layer and that software layer would optimize the game for each HW..

No, im not a software guy so I dont know if something like this already exists or why something like this could not work..

But to answer you questions, perhaps we can have this functionality now that eveyrthing from MS will be based on Win 8..

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
It's shame really. Even Steam does region lock to account on some of their games.

I would love to see Global Xbox Live. Everyone get same contents from music/movie and XBLA, and moving the regional streamers (such as Netflix, iPlayer, etc) to app store.

Yup, would be kool & the gang...

ZeMMiK

give the hardcore gamer his uber console with a lot of RAM so it can last a decade, and pls do not change the controller that much...
give the casual gamer his fanless entertainment setop box.

Do not make just 1 xbox with an fuckedup wii u controller, kinect shit and ride the casual train only...

I hope the best.

saunderez

Regional licensing of the actual content means this will NEVER happen. And it sucks coz the media companies in my country don't give a crap and are going out of their way to prevent stuff like this from happening.

StevieP

Banned
So you expect launch games to match PCs that have $350 graphics cards(JUST the card), with the entire console having a launch price of $350? What? There will be SW1313 and Watch Dogs at launch potentially, but they will not have the textures, AA, 1080p, or IQ of their PC counterparts. As others have said, it's thermally and cost-wise impossible. You'll have some magic being done a few years into the consoles life, but they will obey thermal dynamics and other principles of physics and cost.

I think you are one of the people in the other threads talking this nonsense lol, I thought I recognized your avatar. Regardless, this article is a load of bunk. Of course the next xbox will be powerful, it's been nearly 10 years since the xbox 360. But seeing a game(especially one developed primarily on pc) run on a gtx680(or two) at E3 and going "that's going to look sick on the next xbox!" is accurate. Saying "that's going to look exactly the same/better on the next xbox!" is inaccurate.

not sure why this is difficult to understand...

jaosobno

Not to mention you can program to the metal on the console (assuming that Sony/Microsoft allow it - Microsoft probably won't).

KageMaru

What would you consider heavy lifting? No matter what, there will always be far more third party releases that first party. MS doesn't develop these apps in-house, so unless you're talking about something else, I don't see how these features/services would effect the gaming side.

Unification can work on many levels. What you're looking for would hinder the 720's success, so I wouldn't expect it to happen.

Yep, Global Live is my dream too. Too bad that Microsoft probably won't do it.

It's not MS (or Sony & Nintendo) that limits what services appear where. It's the service companies and countries that are the problem. Just look at how long it took for Netflixto reach Europe as an example.

It's makes no sense to willingly limit your feature-set to specific countries when having it everywhere would benefit your product so much more.

jaosobno

It's not MS (or Sony & Nintendo) that limits what services appear where. It's the service companies and countries that are the problem. Just look at how long it took for Netflixto reach Europe as an example.

It's makes no sense to willingly limit your feature-set to specific countries when having it everywhere would benefit your product so much more.

Yep, you're right. Still, Microsoft could put more effort in Live availability and quality outside of USA.

jaypah

That's okay. I'm happy you can wish whatever you want.
I just said poor MS because it has high or good expectation from gamers, investors and media. I didn't show/say anything care about what people think, but expect what people might felt. I'm showing my care for MS's pressure, not with the people's expectation.

But doesn't the pressure come from peoples expectations? All I'm saying is multibillion dollar corporations don't make decisions based on rumors from the media/their customers. I can't imagine that these news stories and media expectations could create any pressure for MS at all. It's cool that you feel worried for MS, I just think it's unnecessary. Besides, I always thought you were more of a Sony guy :p

goodfella

Everything.

They dictate which kind of/how many/etc chips can go into a console and how hot/fast they can run.

The laws of physics are a constant, that has not stopped technological advancements from happening. Ten years ago we would not have been able to make an ipad mini, not because of the laws of physics, which are the same then as they are now, but because the state of technology was less advanced.

Sorry for the late reply.

jaypah

The laws of physics are a constant, that has not stopped technological advancements from happening. Ten years ago we would not have been able to make an ipad mini, not because of the laws of physics, which are the same then as they are now, but because the state of technology was less advanced.

But it seems like we've slowed down a bit at this point. Tech isn't going to shrink enough between now and when these consoles start being manufactured.

KageMaru

I know it won't happen, which is why I consider all this talk about unification a marketing trick.

You can spin any feature as a marketing trick, the purpose of the features is to make the product look appealing so you can sell said product. What you want is unrealistic, as long as they offer the level of connectivity that they reveal, I don't understand how it's a "trick".

Yes, the laws of physics are constant, but moore's law is not. Die sizes and shrinks make a huge difference with what we will see in these consoles and shrinks are getting harder and harder to do.

Odds are they'll have the 1080p so that means they'll have the textures and comparable IQ. What don't you understand about the best looking PC games being console ports? PCs could have a 999999GTX card pushing 50 teraflops but it wouldn't matter since AAA blockbuster games with insane graphics aren't created for a system like that, they're created for consoles and then ported to PC.

What people are saying is that the first-party exclusives and third-party multi-plats that don't make it to PC (there's A LOT of great third-party MPs not on PC this gen) are going to look as good as anything on the PC platform and probably better with what we've seen of games like Watch_Dogs and 1313, both of which look better than anything on the market at the moment. Since we'll most likely get 1080p res for games on consoles, the huge IQ gap you reference simply won't be there. The res was the biggest issue. With higher res we get much better textures, less blurry, and better IQ in general. All that PCs will have over consoles after that is higher frame rate, assuming your rig can run it at a smooth 60+, which I doubt more than a few percent of setups will be able to do for next-gen games when they release.

Exactly, which is why I don't think we should dismiss an AMD CPU against an IBM CPU.

Yes, there are rumors suggesting it's gonna be a customized solution. If MS really decided to go with AMD, they must have very good reasons.

True, but again that leads to the question about customization again. =)

Well, the rumor was about the CPU being a Power A2 derivate.

ACH1LL3US

Odds are they'll have the 1080p so that means they'll have the textures and comparable IQ. What don't you understand about the best looking PC games being console ports? PCs could have a 999999GTX card pushing 50 teraflops but it wouldn't matter since AAA blockbuster games with insane graphics aren't created for a system like that, they're created for consoles and then ported to PC.

What people are saying is that the first-party exclusives and third-party multi-plats that don't make it to PC (there's A LOT of great third-party MPs not on PC this gen) are going to look as good as anything on the PC platform and probably better with what we've seen of games like Watch_Dogs and 1313, both of which look better than anything on the market at the moment. Since we'll most likely get 1080p res for games on consoles, the huge IQ gap you reference simply won't be there. The res was the biggest issue. With higher res we get much better textures, less blurry, and better IQ in general. All that PCs will have over consoles after that is higher frame rate, assuming your rig can run it at a smooth 60+, which I doubt more than a few percent of setups will be able to do for next-gen games when they release.

We still don't know if the next gen consoles will be running games at native 1080p or some hacked version like what GT5 uses. I also think the trend of most games running at 30fps will continue next gen.

I just don't think the next gen consoles will be able to do what you, Shinobi and some others on here are dreaming about.

I think come the reveals of these consoles there will be ALOT of disappointment... but I hope I am wrong.

Majanew

Banned

Yep. Some seem to act like throwing two GTX680's in a PC will make that game being played create new assets, animations, AI by some form of magic. Majority of games will once again be designed on the capability of the consoles [Durango/Orbis now] and the PC version will just brute force better IQ, FPS than the console version. The push on Crysis 3, SW1313, Watch Dogs is due to Durango being right around the corner. Expect SW1313-level at launch. May even be a launch window game.

You can spin any feature as a marketing trick, the purpose of the features is to make the product look appealing so you can sell said product. What you want is unrealistic, as long as they offer the level of connectivity that they reveal, I don't understand how it's a "trick".

It's a trick because the word used to describe it is not accurate. You don't have a unified ecosystem if you need a specific device to access specific content. It's basically the same as calling a data plan "Unlimited" then setting limits based on fair use. It's not truly unlimited, it's not truly unified. Hence, marketing trick.

Vol5

1080p for everything next-gen is a pipe dream.

Why have 1080p when you can have 720p pushing twice as many pixels.

Top Bottom