• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lewis Hamilton to provide expert in-game advice in Gran Turismo Sport

Mobius 1

Best F1 driver ever.

51098cf448b0c23336c13435aabfdb0b.jpg

You spelled Ayrton Senna incorrectly, sir/madam.

Lewis is one of the best F1 drivers of all time, but I'd take Ricciardo or Kimi for the commentary over HAM any day.
I have to say that if I was to pick an F1 driver to teach me about driving, I'd probably want Ricciardo to do it because I suspect he'd be the best instructor (in terms of his personality and temperament).

Although I would have loved if they'd gotten Kimi to do it, just for the hilarity of having him deliver instructions in his monotone with completely emotionless delivery lol

IISANDERII

On the one hand, I'm happy to see a black/mixed race driver get a GT endorsement.

On the other hand, Hamilton is such a clown. Fast driver yes, but still a fool. So many avoidable accidents, watching him over the years reminds me of drivers on the 401.

Ugh and that whining over the radio, what a child.

i met him about ten years ago — i was tasked with explaining the rules of american football to him, for some reason. he was honestly lovely and had a lot of time for me even though he'd just lost the championship that week, which would have been a pretty good reason to be withdrawn and sullen as he's often stereotyped to be.

i'm a big fan of the guy and am happy to see him in GT.

kyser73

These expert tutorials in racing games are always crap.

"Slow down when you enter a corner"

No shit.

The fact that auto-braking is included in this game, and the howls of protest in Driveclub threads about the lack of similar driving aids tells me that it isn’t that obvious to all players.

The fact that auto-braking is included in this game, and the howls of protest in Driveclub threads about the lack of similar driving aids tells me that it isn't that obvious to all players.
I'm sure it isn't. You're always going to have a segment of players that are either trying out a sim from an arcade racing background, or players that just don't follow motorsport and don't understand the techniques needed to carry their speed through all the technical bits.

I remember trying my first circuit racer - might have been a demo for something like Forza 2 and I couldn't make it through the first turn without eating gravel. I didn't know what I was doing wrong, slowing down so much to take a chicane felt antithetical to the entire idea of a racing game so I just thought it was a shitty, boring game and went back to the arcade racers with boost modes and jumps and where you only ever dabbed the brakes to start an epic drift ;p

Its also why I have zero problem with optional assists and accessibility options in sims. The learning curve for these games can be rough if you're new to the concepts.

I've come full circle on Hamilton. He used to be such a child but I can honestly say that he's matured a LOT over the last few years. And this year he doesn't have a teammate that he hates and he's been pretty easy to watch. Lewis hate might've been warranted a few years ago but nowadays he's a pretty cool guy, and I don't think I've ever heard anything negative about him from anyone who's actually met him.

Ricciardo of course would've been the best coach. Not that I'm biased or anything.

Outside of Lew Danny Ric is just....awesome basically...driver, person, personality...hugely likeable...
Once he becomes a title contender and starts taking wins from fans' favourite team/driver, people will start to hate Danny Ricciardo as well.

But I agree :)

Euler007

If the game was P2W they could have featured Lance Stroll in the tutorial. "Ask your dad for his credit card and buy a thousand loot box. If you're still having issues, just have him buy the developer".

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Probably because they still have a partnership with Aryon Senna Institute?

Oh I see, that makes sense. Just seemed odd to have a “beat the guy who has the third place record” trophy, especially when the guy who has the record is involved in the game.

That's a weird trophy, considering Schumacher had held that record for over a decade (and Hamilton has now beaten).
It's not weird. "Record" doesn't only mean "the highest possible", it can also mean "tally". When people say a sports team has "a record of 3-0", they don't mean that no other team has ever won three games and lost none. That's just what we've recorded them doing.

The trophy is a reference to Senna's record, not a record that Senna still holds.

I've come full circle on Hamilton. He used to be such a child but I can honestly say that he's matured a LOT over the last few years. And this year he doesn't have a teammate that he hates and he's been pretty easy to watch. Lewis hate might've been warranted a few years ago but nowadays he's a pretty cool guy, and I don't think I've ever heard anything negative about him from anyone who's actually met him.

Ricciardo of course would've been the best coach. Not that I'm biased or anything.

No this year he doesn't have a teammate who is as good as him. If that happened then he'd throw his toys out the pram again like he always does.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
It's not weird. "Record" doesn't only mean "the highest possible", it can also mean "tally". When people say a sports team has "a record of 3-0", they don't mean that no other team has ever won three games and lost none. That's just what we've recorded them doing.

The trophy is a reference to Senna's record, not a record that Senna still holds.

Yes, I get what record means. But as I said above, it seems odd to have an explicit target of beating the guy who is third place in the standings. And even weirder that the guy who actually has the pole record is involved in the game.

emperor_ing

Neo Member
It's cool that they're using real drivers to input into the game, shows that motorsport in general is finally embracing the digital side of things.

Concerning the comments about Lewis' personality; it's not like most F1 drivers don't have something questionable about them. I wouldn't call myself a fan of Lewis, but if he wants to enjoy a bling-bling lifestyle outside of the sport then why not as long as it doesn't effect what he does on track (and looking at how he has out-driven Bottas this year it's clearly not).

Top Bottom