• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG announces new 8K TVs and.... 48" OLED TV!! OH YEAH BABE

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah, I'm guessing they're just placeholders. The 48" is just a few dollars cheaper the the 55" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Or Amazon trying to price gouge early adopters since they are not rounded numbers like they were ran through an up-charge % calculator.

Waiting to see what Best Buy lists them as. I assumed the MSRP was $1500 since that is what that other side was selling them as.

dolabla

Or Amazon trying to price gouge early adopters since they are not rounded numbers like they were ran through an up-charge % calculator.

Waiting to see what Best Buy lists them as. I assumed the MSRP was $1500 since that is what that other side was selling them as.

Here we go. Best Buy listed the 55" and those prices are most definitely just placeholders.

Now I'm living alone (sniff) I was going to put a TV in the bedroom, the ex was absolutely against it. Naturally I planned to move my 3yr old C7 in to the bedroom, but it's 65". It's going to look really silly in there. So I'll wait for one of these 48" ones and put that in the bedroom instead.

Depends on the internal scaler and what algorithms they use.

To be honest most of the scalers are very good now so it's not far off what you'd get with a same size screen at native 720p.

But seriously, who still watches 480p content?
How else am I going to watch Celebrity Jeopardy or Frisky Dingo?!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

dolabla

Those are probably the Day 1 prices. That is on par with the previous C-series. It might actually be cheaper than previous Day 1 prices. The major brands usually have their first major price drop on Memorial Day and then early November.

I was talking about the Amazon prices. They were weirdly priced. 55" was just $28 more (which doesn't make sense, lol) than the 48" which is over $2100. Looks like they took down the price and add to cart button from the 55" so you can't even purchase/preorder it now.

Best Buy pricing looks to be a real pricing at $1999.99 and it's in line with that other tv place I posted in this thread

This one:

Last edited:

dolabla

This authorized US dealer is saying mid June for the 48".

dolabla

Yep, LG US released a press release with the prices of the new OLED's. 48" confirmed $1499.99 with release in June.

TNhQ3mX.png

Edit: Just noticed the 55" is $1799 🤔

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
That price for the 48 Inch is...ehhhhhhh....

The Black Friday 'sale' price is going to be what I thought the real price would have been...think I'll wait until 2021 for OLED

dotnotbot

The Black Friday 'sale' price is going to be what I thought the real price would have been...think I'll wait until 2021 for OLED

2021 won't change much. Prices might be even worse because of Olympics and other sports events that got canceled this year. Also many people will postpone buying luxury items like this until their financial situation is stable (which might take even a year from now).

So I think that lower demand this year = lower prices.

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

How will scaling be? Still having to watch some programs in 480p and it's hard to do with my Sony 4k as some tv channels haven't even progressed to HD let alone 4k same with British on demand stuff, most major American TV broadcaster 4k has been really poor regarding support can't imainge 8k being any better.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How will scaling be? Still having to watch some programs in 480p and it's hard to do with my Sony 4k as some tv channels haven't even progressed to HD let alone 4k same with British on demand stuff, most major American TV broadcaster 4k has been really poor regarding support can't imainge 8k being any better.

Sony has the better scalers of the two, but LG has made headway and it's almost discernible now. A resolution that low (especially in broadcast) will always not be so hot. DVD or streaming progressive scan seems to be a bit better with 480p content than broadcast.

dolabla

Damn, you guys think there will be any 42-45" OLED TV's?

I'm not sure, but if there are you've got to think we're getting closer with the 48" about to drop in June. It will be awesome to see them at that size. I so hope it happens. Maybe within a year or two.

Last edited:

Yeah, the prices on the 48" set are a joke.

It should be significantly cheaper than the 55" otherwise there's no point. May as well just spend a bit extra and get a bigger TV at those prices.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeah, the prices on the 48" set are a joke.

It should be significantly cheaper than the 55" otherwise there's no point. May as well just spend a bit extra and get a bigger TV at those prices.
IIRC, the way panels are cut during the manufacturing process, 55" is the most economical for some reason which is why it was harder for any manufacturer to make panels smaller than that until now, which would also impact the price difference.

I'm not sure if that's entirely accurate though.

Skyr

Something weird has come up regarding the CX today.

Apparently the CX does not support full HDMI 2.1 bandwidth.

So 40gbps on the CX compared to the full 48gbps on last years C9.
Now it will probably make no difference because the panel supports only 10bit anyway afaik.

But I guess you never know what that extra bandwidth could be useful for going into the future.
Just something to be aware of.

Last edited:
I plan on picking up the OLED55CXPUA model around October before the next Gen starts.

This is me, I'll be in the market for a new gaming TV around then too, whenever we find out the Series X release date for Australia. Aiming for something 65" VRR enabled to replace my current 46".

Starcheif

This is me, I'll be in the market for a new gaming TV around then too, whenever we find out the Series X release date for Australia. Aiming for something 65" VRR enabled to replace my current 46".
I almost purchased one last year but waiting for the upgraded HDMI.

dolabla

Now it will probably make no difference because the panel supports only 10bit anyway afaik.

But I guess you never know what that extra bandwidth could be useful for going into the future.

Yeah, I was just reading this. Sounds like it won't matter for gaming anyways, but they definitely should have been up front about it. On the link I posted above about the 48", it does say:

**Supports up to 40Gbps bandwidth, allowing up to 4K 120Hz 4:4:4 @ 10 bits per component.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man

Indeed this won’t make much of a difference. If you factor in HDMI 2.1 DSC (native HDMI compression), this TV should be able to hit up to 10k resolution. Which is pretty pointless.

A normal movie is compressed with chroma sub sambling 4:2:0 runs at 24hz at 4K at the most. That’s 8.9 Gb/s.
A 12 bit Dolby Vision 4:4:4 signal is 24Gb/s without DSC compression.
So maxing out the 40Gb/s with real world consumer hardware is very unlikely.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
I hope to see really small (26 inch 720p) OLED tv's in the future. PS2 or Xbox Classic games would look amazing.

Jigga117

Yeah, I was just reading this. Sounds like it won't matter for gaming anyways, but they definitely should have been up front about it. On the link I posted above about the 48", it does say:

? not sure what your concern about "up" to is when computers give you options to change the resolution among other devices that support up to 10 Bit or don't. There is no 12-bit tv panels on the market as far is 48Gbps goes and The 2080Ti right now can do 10-bit 422 on C9 and CX

dolabla

? not sure what your concern about "up" to is when computers give you options to change the resolution among other devices that support up to 10 Bit or don't. There is no 12-bit tv panels on the market as far is 48Gbps goes and The 2080Ti right now can do 10-bit 422 on C9 and CX

I think you meant to respond to the other guy below my post, lol. No concern here. I'm excited.

dolabla

I guess they're starting to arrive. The page for the 48" on the LG website under "where to buy" is saying that one of their authorized dealers now has the 48" "in stock".

It's this place.

It's $100 more than the msrp ($1499). Not sure why that is.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
still a ridiculous price to pay for hdmi 2.1

i refuse to buy an OLED. i don't care how good they are if i need to worry about burn in. i'll just get a good LCD.

if i were to get one it'd be the 55NANO91

Last edited:
Top Bottom