• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG announces new 8K TVs and.... 48" OLED TV!! OH YEAH BABE

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
48 inch is madness on a desk. no fucking way,

32 inch is max at 4k for me (my poor neck)

or a 35 inch ultrawide ofc .

martino

i think when available i buy a lg oled
the BX models is said to be 5MS on lg site
OLED for deep black is best and no QLed is near from what i've seen.
BX will also have four hdmi 2.1 ports
only fear is the burn, a big fear.

Jigga117

the BX models are already known to have 2 HDMI 2.1 ports. Like this info is out there

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I would be very hesitant to on the BX. I had read, although I never saw it conclusively proven that the B9 had gimped HDMI 2.1 and only supported 4K/120 at SDR.

Getting a C9 at closeout prices seems like the best option right now. Sadly they havent dropped in price all that much and are still at $1500.

good lord I need this in my life

My current TV is pretty solid but man....I dunno...gettin that itch to use some of my future GPU money on this bad boy

iHaunter

Yep the 48 inch OLED is targeting the PC gaming market since people are buying c9's for the 120hz and gsync support.

Will be interesting to see how well it does and how they price it.

Why is 48" for gaming exactly? What statistics back this up? 55" seems to be the most common and most mass-produced size?

GHG

Last edited:

GHG

It very may be placebo effect, but when it comes to FPS's, I do better with smaller sets.

For FPS's and racing games your performance will be impacted by FOV and having the correct FOV set up for your display size (and the distance you sit from the screen) rather than the performance of the display itself.

Unless you calculate it on a per game basis and then set it up, it might be coincidental that the typical default FOV settings in games you play are more suited to smaller displays.

Last edited:

Jigga117

Why is 48" for gaming exactly? What statistics back this up? 55" seems to be the most common and most mass-produced size?
Every answer to this post is the right answer under different situations. Plus the tv offers more features in this area than any monitor offers. One feature is not going to topple over multiple benefits.

dolabla

It's available now in the US directly from LG. Only place I see that currently has it in stock and it's $100 more than what the press release said a few months ($1499) ago. Guess it's a spankin brand new tax.

KMcw74Y.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Price is pretty steep, should be at least $400 cheaper by the end of the year.

Rikkori

Considering the big logistical issues currently in place due to the plague you have to wonder. There's also still time for a 2nd wave to hit before Black Friday. I'm not so sure these TVs will see that much of a price drop as they normally do. Another thing I've noticed is they keep trying to push prices up every year.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Considering the big logistical issues currently in place due to the plague you have to wonder. There's also still time for a 2nd wave to hit before Black Friday. I'm not so sure these TVs will see that much of a price drop as they normally do. Another thing I've noticed is they keep trying to push prices up every year.
OLED has gone down in price every year dude.

The pandemic has drastically affected things for 2020. In a normal year, the C9 at this time would have been at closeout prices and inventory would be almost out. Memorial Day is usually when the TVs of that year get their first price cut.

un1que

Does anyone know if that freesync premium note on the Australia LG is accurate? The U.K. one still says just freesync. Had a google search and couldn’t find any confirmation.

Last edited:

dolabla

Does anyone know if that freesync premium note on the Australia LG is accurate? The U.K. one still says just freesync. Had a google search and couldn’t find any confirmation.

It doesn't say on the LG US site either. But the only other tv's currently on the market (Samsung QLED's and even some non Samsung QLED's) that do have Freesync, they all have the Premium version: https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-tvs

You would think a high end tv like an OLED would at least get the Premium treatment as well.

Jigga117

We will know when the update is finally released until then it is just speculation.

dolabla

OLED doesn't automatically mean it's high-end. :lollipop_grinning:

See the konka OLEDs with their 300 nits brightness. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

I forgot that brand was releasing OLED's. I had never heard of them before until earlier this year. At least the LG CX model is a high end :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
Has anyone bought the DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adaptor yet?

I’d buy one immediately (RTX 2080 TI - LG C9 55) but I can’t find a place to order from.

Jigga117

Has anyone bought the DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adaptor yet?

I’d buy one immediately (RTX 2080 TI - LG C9 55) but I can’t find a place to order from.
The 3080TI is coming out with 2.1 so that’s an option AMD cards as well

dolabla

FreeSync update is now out and it is FreeSync Premium un1que un1que

You have to download the update from the LG website as the update won't show up (right now at least) if you try to do it on the tv:

un1que

FreeSync update is now out and it is FreeSync Premium un1que un1que

You have to download the update from the LG website as the update won't show up (right now at least) if you try to do it on the tv:

Thanks for the update.

This was going to be the decider for me out of this and the c9. But now I have another dilemma.

So, I hate hdr because it’s sacrifices colour from a fully uncompressed rgb image at 4K. I was looking forward to the new tv’s because of hdmi 2.1 and the ability to have a full uncompressed true rgb image with hdr (surely it can’t get any better).
Problem for me now is all these freesync, g-sync and vrr. Don’t get me wrong I’ve never used any as my tv doesn’t support them but the main thing I was concerned about was ‘lfc’ which I know the cx now supports. But now I’ve learned (correct if I’m wrong) that premium doesn’t support hdr at 4K, for that you need premium pro.
So as I understand it, unless you have that, any of the vrr modes will sacrifice the image quality or hdr? So no vrr/g-sync/freesync at 4K rgb hdr?

Jigga117

Thanks for the update.

This was going to be the decider for me out of this and the c9. But now I have another dilemma.

So, I hate hdr because it’s sacrifices colour from a fully uncompressed rgb image at 4K. I was looking forward to the new tv’s because of hdmi 2.1 and the ability to have a full uncompressed true rgb image with hdr (surely it can’t get any better).
Problem for me now is all these freesync, g-sync and vrr. Don’t get me wrong I’ve never used any as my tv doesn’t support them but the main thing I was concerned about was ‘lfc’ which I know the cx now supports. But now I’ve learned (correct if I’m wrong) that premium doesn’t support hdr at 4K, for that you need premium pro.
So as I understand it, unless you have that, any of the vrr modes will sacrifice the image quality or hdr? So no vrr/g-sync/freesync at 4K rgb hdr?

I don’t know where you read all this but HdR works with GSync and VRR on PC and Xbox One X. The picture doesn’t get sacrificed because it is in HDR mode or using any of the features that benefits the performance of the of the tv HDR or not.

un1que

I don’t know where you read all this but HdR works with GSync and VRR on PC and Xbox One X. The picture doesn’t get sacrificed because it is in HDR mode or using any of the features that benefits the performance of the of the tv HDR or not.

Quote from benq site...
Support for HDR
“FreeSync Premium Pro, the highest tier, has exclusive access to high dynamic range and wide color gamut support. To clarify, FreeSync and FreeSync Premium features may not work when HDR is turned on due to processing bandwidth issues. Or they may work at the cost of inconsistent HDR performance (your PC, console, or monitor may need to disable HDR to keep FreeSync features working). At any rate, the two lower tiers of FreeSync work independently of HDR, while FreeSync Premium Pro integrates HDR on the hardware level. That allows you to enjoy every FreeSync feature we’ve mentioned plus better HDR performance. That’s because the hardware-level negotiation between your monitor and PC/consoles gets a helping hand from the FreeSync Premium Pro process, alleviating some of the computational burden.“

Like I say I don’t have Experience with this so looking for answers. But I know 100% that with hdmi 2.0 you can’t have full rgb with hdr at 4k

Ulysses 31

Quote from benq site...
Support for HDR
“FreeSync Premium Pro, the highest tier, has exclusive access to high dynamic range and wide color gamut support. To clarify, FreeSync and FreeSync Premium features may not work when HDR is turned on due to processing bandwidth issues. Or they may work at the cost of inconsistent HDR performance (your PC, console, or monitor may need to disable HDR to keep FreeSync features working). At any rate, the two lower tiers of FreeSync work independently of HDR, while FreeSync Premium Pro integrates HDR on the hardware level. That allows you to enjoy every FreeSync feature we’ve mentioned plus better HDR performance. That’s because the hardware-level negotiation between your monitor and PC/consoles gets a helping hand from the FreeSync Premium Pro process, alleviating some of the computational burden.“

Like I say I don’t have Experience with this so looking for answers. But I know 100% that with hdmi 2.0 you can’t have full rgb with hdr at 4k
HDR is separate from Freesync. Some Freesync features need HDR to work, that's it.

You don't really need full RGB color to enjoy the content. Unless you watch very very detailed fotos, full RGB will show its benefits but with moving images you'd be hard pressed to notice any difference.

Last edited:

Jigga117

Quote from benq site...
Support for HDR

I have an RTX 2080TI. The Xbox One X foes VRR and Freesync. I have the C9 77& 55 so FreeSync doesn’t matter. This shouldn’t be an issue because HDMI offers VRR so have FreeSync isn’t a must have whenHDMI 2.1 does this already withVRR. If it is saying you have to have HDMI 2.1 for the device for FreeSync and HDR support then this is no different with the 2020 LG that can do 4k@120 on an HDMI 2.0 RTX card but no HDR. You need an HDMI 2.1 device to do 4k@120hz HDR so this is probably the same for FreeSync HDR.

un1que

HDR is separate from Freesync. Some Freesync features need HDR to work, that's it.

You don't really need full RGB color to enjoy the content. Unless you watch very very detailed fotos, full RGB will show its benefits but with moving images you'd be hard pressed to notice any difference.

I know some people say they can’t see a difference when it isn’t rgb but I see a huge difference. Guess it’s like people who can’t see a difference with certain frame rates.

un1que

I have an RTX 2080TI. The Xbox One X foes VRR and Freesync. I have the C9 77& 55 so FreeSync doesn’t matter. This shouldn’t be an issue because HDMI offers VRR so have FreeSync isn’t a must have whenHDMI 2.1 does this already withVRR. If it is saying you have to have HDMI 2.1 for the device for FreeSync and HDR support then this is no different with the 2020 LG that can do 4k@120 on an HDMI 2.0 RTX card but no HDR. You need an HDMI 2.1 device to do 4k@120hz HDR so this is probably the same for FreeSync HDR.

Yeah I get that. The main reason for the freesync premium was for the lfc.

dolabla

Thanks for the update.

AMD site just added the LG 2020 OLED and LED Nano Cell tv's to their page (2nd page near the bottom) and it says all of them support HDR. https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-tvs

It doesn't say "at only this resolution". It actually gives you the resolution "3840x2160" with HDR listed as "Yes".

I think someone on the AVS Forum said it works as well. So basically it is the FreeSync Premium Pro. They may market it differently for tv's than monitors, I dunno. I can see how it would be confusing.

Top Bottom