• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG announces new 8K TVs and.... 48" OLED TV!! OH YEAH BABE

GHG

We await your feedback.

Google is your friend.

Better yet, call your optician provided they aren't a 60 year old technophobe.

You're more likely to get eye strain from using your average mobile phone than you are using a large display with the correct brightness and dpi settings for your environment and viewing distance.

ep the 48 inch OLED is targeting the PC gaming
Google is your friend.

Better yet, call your optician provided they aren't a 60 year old technophobe.

You're more likely to get eye strain from using your average mobile phone than you are using a large display with the correct brightness and dpi settings for your environment and viewing distance.
I think a 48inch screen for a pc distance says it all.

• LOL
Reactions: GHG

Gargus

Banned
By the time 8k even begins to start to be the standard those TVs will be old as fuck.

8k now is a stupid marketing gimmick designed to cash in on the ignorant and stupid. It's as dumb as Microsoft saying new xbox can do 8k. No it can't, it won't ever run 8k native, at best it might support a couple features of 8k.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
By the time 8k even begins to start to be the standard those TVs will be old as fuck.

8k now is a stupid marketing gimmick designed to cash in on the ignorant and stupid. It's as dumb as Microsoft saying new xbox can do 8k. No it can't, it won't ever run 8k native, at best it might support a couple features of 8k.
well said
microled is even worse

Why would a 48 inch be cheaper tho?
Higher pixel density
And less mass produced... 🤔
For sure more than 1500$ for release... Not a very good deal... I paid my 55" C9 1300€ and now i can find it for 1100€... C9 are the same than CX.... (same screen) you only get Dolby vision IQ for extra bucks...

dotnotbot

For sure more than 1500$ for release... Not a very good deal... I paid my 55" C9 1300€ and now i can find it for 1100€... C9 are the same than CX.... (same screen) you only get Dolby vision IQ for extra bucks...

You need to compare those CX prices to C9 launch prices. They will go down a lot after a few months.

CX 55" is now priced comparable to C9 55" at launch, while 48" is significantly less (by ~500 EUR). That means it will be an amazing price/value TV for Black Friday 2020. Unfortunately, even if last and current year models are the same, launch prices are always stupidly inflated.

Last edited:

Mithos

4k is even stupid, I have not seen one single broadcast that have anything worth it for 4k yet here. SHIT even the 720p and 1080i/p broadcasts here is of crap quality bit-rate wise..

LOLCats

Banned
4k is even stupid, I have not seen one single broadcast that have anything worth it for 4k yet here. SHIT even the 720p and 1080i/p broadcasts here is of crap quality bit-rate wise..
Yep i feel like cable and OTA will never be 4k (not for at-least 20 years). Only 4k content most will see will be streamed.

Last edited:

dolabla

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
$1000 for a tv and that's on a sale? lol. all that for a console? jeeez. i'll be buying the cheapest 4k tv i can find.

8k is just bullshit. most stuff is still at 1080p. some services + games have 4k support. 8k is more for people creating their own content. we won't be seeing games or movies at 8K for a long time. people are still struggling to achieve 4k 60-144hz on PC so what chance do we have of 8k? 5k isn't even a thing yet like we have 1440p as a step gap between 1080-2160p.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
According to this (at least in Europe, but I'm guessing it will be the same for US) 48" launches in May: https://www.computerbase.de/2020-03/lg-8k-oled-nanocell-fernseher-2020-preise/

55" in April
65" in April
77" in May

Best Buy already has page up and price ($2799) for 65"

Hoping for some good end of life sales on the C9 so I can pick a couple up for other rooms or I’ll wait for Black Friday pricing on the CX.

Was just looking for approximate timing on the launches. Thanks for the info.

Flintty

I’m in an awkward spot where my max is 50”. I can’t go higher and don’t want to go lower, and I don’t think there are any 50” OLEDs?

Kagey K

Banned
I’m in an awkward spot where my max is 50”. I can’t go higher and don’t want to go lower, and I don’t think there are any 50” OLEDs?
Nope up until this year 55 was the smallest. Now it goes 48 to 55 with no in between.

dolabla

Display specs now has the 48" (47.6") page up and the dimensions:

adihjuK.png

dolabla

New models are about to drop. Official press release:

SEOUL, Mar. 11, 2020 — LG Electronics (LG) today announced the rollout of its stellar 2020 TV lineup, led by 14 new OLED models including the art-inspired GX Gallery series, real 8K ZX models and 4K Ultra HD TVs. The undisputed world leader in OLED TVs, LG is taking the viewing and gaming experience into exciting, new territories starting this month in South Korea and the United States, to be followed by markets in Europe and other regions.

LG is also rolling out all-new 4K OLED TVs for 2020 (models CX and BX in 77-, 65- and 55-inches), each delivering the outstanding picture quality that LG OLED is known for. Consumers will also have a new size to choose from when the 48-inch CX OLED TV becomes available later this year. What’s more, NanoCell TV, LG’s premium LCD TV lineup, welcomes seven Real 8K units (75- and 65-inches in Nano99, Nano97, Nano95 series, 55-inch Nano95) all carrying the CTA 8K UHD logo like their OLED counterparts.

Supposedly there have been manufacturing issues with the 48" causing the delay:

One notable omission to the OLED lineup is the much anticipated 48-inch CX model which is being described by the company as being available later in the year. This is no doubt due to the manufacturing issues being experienced by LG Display at its new fabrication plant in Guangzhou, China where the 48-inch panels will be produced. This delay will most likely affect Sony’s plans to launch its 48-inch A9 4K OLED TV, also announced at CES in January, too.

Tarin02543

32 inch oled when <3

https://www.j-oled.com/eng/press/2019-4-8/

The entire production process of JOLED’s OLED display production lines will consist of the pre-process at Nomi Site and the post-process at Chiba Site. This process will become operation in 2020, with JOLED set to produce medium-sized (10- to 32-inch) printed OLED displays for use in areas such as automotive displays and high-end monitors.

Top Bottom