• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG VX9800 (Verizon) - any opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I ordered a RAZR the other day, but after seeing this thing at the store last night, I kinda want it.

B000BONWUU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B000BONWUU.01.PT02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I send a lot of txt msgs, so the keyboard on this thing would be a godsend. The rate plan I want is the same I would pay with Cingular and I'm told Verizon has the better network. The Razr is smaller, which I obviously like, but I found out that the Motorola menu system in that one is still just as slow as in the V600 that I currently have, and that drives me crazy. Anyone here have one of these?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Flip phone fan here, so I haven't paid much attention to it. I have a PSP also, so much of it's allure just doesn't register w/ me.

A friend of mine wants one bad.

For text messages and what not, I usually do those while at my PC via bluetooth. The ones I send out while on the go, are usually rather short, so the numeric keypad works fine for that.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
zesty said:
The rate plan I want is the same I would pay with Cingular and I'm told Verizon has the better network.

Once again I'd just like to point out that no one company has the better network across the entire US. But each company does have better coverage in certain spots than others... you just have to figure out who has the better coverage in your area.

goodcow

DarienA said:
Once again I'd just like to point out that no one company has the better network across the entire US. But each company does have better coverage in certain spots than others... you just have to figure out who has the better coverage in your area.

And in NYC, Verizon owns.

DarienA

DaCocoBrova said:

The cellphone coverage page I was just at showed that most of the providers have trouble somewhere in this city.... somehow that's not surprising to me... hell my GPS has trouble picking up it's sat whenever I turn it on in the car here when I'm about to head home.

DarienA

DaCocoBrova said:
^^

You ended up getting a TL?

Heck no... long story, short version would be... I decided to wait 2 more years before moving up a level in car class. So I just purchased another sedan... a car I've actually been pretty happy with even though it's look definitely is hate/love - Galant SE, qualitywise the damn thing has been solid... had it since August...

Verizon has the most complete network in the country, period. Cingular, since adding AT&T Wireless has gotten better, but with Verizon it really is about the network. I've travelled to a lot of different cities in the US, and have always had a good connection with Verizon.

Their downfall for a long time was that they had some rather mundane phones when compared to the other companies. Glad to see they are finally changing this some.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
zesty said:
I ordered a RAZR the other day, but after seeing this thing at the store last night, I kinda want it.

I send a lot of txt msgs, so the keyboard on this thing would be a godsend. The rate plan I want is the same I would pay with Cingular and I'm told Verizon has the better network. The Razr is smaller, which I obviously like, but I found out that the Motorola menu system in that one is still just as slow as in the V600 that I currently have, and that drives me crazy. Anyone here have one of these?

I was going ot get this phone, but got the 8100 instead ( I don't text too much). Most of the reviews I have read for the phone were extremely positive.
V-Cast is a great srvice, andf broadband speeds for the net are quite convenient. It takes a little work to get ringtones, and the like on your phone without Get It Now, but it can ve done.

DarienA

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Verizon has the most complete network in the country, period. Cingular, since adding AT&T Wireless has gotten better, but with Verizon it really is about the network. I've travelled to a lot of different cities in the US, and have always had a good connection with Verizon.

True about the network... but in terms of everday usage that's not always the case for every user, but that's really the case for any of the providers in terms of everday usage issues... there are alot of factors that contribute some of the fault starts right at the particular model phones antenna... Their metro/subway coverage in the cities they have it(I know they have it here in DC) though is a very nice extra.

aparisi2274

zesty said:

Hey do you know when the RAZR Is supposed to hit for Verizon? I sent an e-mail to them to let me know when its available, but I am curious to know when its supposed to be out in stores?

Can someone let me know.

snacknuts

we all knew her
aparisi2274 said:
Hey do you know when the RAZR Is supposed to hit for Verizon? I sent an e-mail to them to let me know when its available, but I am curious to know when its supposed to be out in stores?

Can someone let me know.

They've got them on their site right now for purchase. $200

gunstarhero

I got the 9800 on Sunday (12/4) and have been loving it.

I text often, which is the main reason I traded in my old LG for this, the second reason was I wanted a decent phone camera.

So far i'm happy with the keyboard - i text a lot faster and a lot more words with it - and it has nice size keys... I thought they may be too smalll at first glance, but they are actually great, with nice spacing in between the keys.

The camera is good, but I found you need a steady hand or you get crazy blur. I'm going thru my settings later today to see if I accidently turned on an option that makes it so sensitive - but it's not that bad, just a little more touchy then my last one.

There's a video mode that I havent played around with much yet - but from what I've seen, it's pretty cool.

LOVE the menu system on this phone - quick and intuitive. The inside screen is pretty big, and crystal clear/sharp. I have the fonts on the smallest setting and they read fine. Bluetooth sent all my contacts from my Mac address book with a couple of bumps (some peoples phone numbers stopped on the area code), but for the most part, all the info went thru (name, phone number, email, etc).

Love how the phone goes to speaker mode when you flip it open - comes in handy for me during work.

Have not used it for a MP3 player yet - and dont plan to. Also have not signed up for Vcast... 10.00 a month?! Bite me.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Otherwise, I can say I like this phone much better then my friends Razor.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Excellent, thanks for the insight. I played around with one last night at the Verizon store and was very impressed with it. My only hangup is the bulk factor vs. the Razr, but that's not that big of a deal. Function > form, right?

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
gunstarhero said:
Also have not signed up for Vcast... 10.00 a month?! Bite me.

I'm pretty sure you can get the first month free. Try it out for a month, save your favorite videos, and if you don't like it, cancel.

I went and looked at this phone the other day, trying to get it for christmas.
I noticed that it has a slot for Mini SD on the side.

Is that the same as a regular SD card or would I have to buy a smaller, more expensive SD card?

I wasn to use this phone as not only a camera, but a video camera too so I would like to use the SD card that I already have. And I guess it might make a decent mp3 player too, but I doubt I would use that feature.

xsarien

daedsiluap
DarienA said:

Thank you.

I was with Verizon for about 8 years, so I feel I can state with some level of authority that advertising and network claims aside, even Verizon isn't infallible. I've had plenty of call drops, reception issues, echos, and rude and/or stupid CS reps with them. What it comes down to when deciding on a cell phone is picking what works where you're going to need it to work. Nothing beyond that argument needs to be considered as far as coverage is concerned.

It's why I switched to Cingular. I want coverage in the underground train stations here in SF, and only Cingular has repeaters in those areas (for now.) Likewise, Cingular in NYC is (apparently) close enough to Verizon that people actually utter the company's name in the same breath as Verizon these days, so I'm good there too.

It's all a matter of what you want, and where you want it. If you go on advertising alone, then you're going to make a poor decision.

(And for the record: I've never seen an LG that hasn't been on the verge of falling apart. Just keep that in mind; VCast is a waste of money unless you're using the Broadband data services; don't sign a 2-year contract, the amount of money they knock off the phone just isn't worth the hassle.)

M3wThr33

Banned
truffleshuffle83 said:
the new windows based treo will be the king of all things mobile

I'm not a fan of PPCs. Palms just work. I don't need to remember what programs are running in the background.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I ordered the LG. My final deciding factor was that I had to do a two year contract to get the Razr for free, but I got the LG for $100 with a one year deal.

aparisi2274

I just ordered my RAZR...

I did an upgrade from my current phone... Got the new RAZR for $99 w/ 2yr contract.

:)

Cant wait.

sam_a950.jpg

I just got this baby a few weeks ago. Plays mp3s, uses a tiny transflash memory card, great speakers. I got the phone for only 50 bucks with a two year deal. It was one of those post thanksgiving sales. Happy with it so far, it's pretty awesome. It was making some weird noise at first when i was talking to people, but that seems to be getting way better.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Beezy said:
How is Verizon overall compared to T-mobile? (does not care about Sprint/Nextel and Cingular)

Depends on where you live. Every carrier has strong and weak service areas. You might be better off asking friends/family.

As far as pricing goes, though, T-Mobile is much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom