• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Liam Neeson kills Spielberg's already dead in the water LINCOLN project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://screenrant.com/liam-neeson-quits-spielbergs-lincoln-niall-71389/

It has been a while since we have given an update on Steven Spielberg’s planned Abraham Lincoln biopic. In that time Robert Redford has already shot his own Lincoln film The Conspirator, while Spielberg’s film, titled Lincoln hasn’t made it from off the starting block.

It now seems that Spielberg’s Lincoln project truly dead, or very close to it. This news comes from the intended star of the film Liam Neeson as he dropped the project-killing news that he would not longer be a part of it while he was in London publicizing The A-Team.

Neeson was on This Morning, a daily magazine show with director Joe Carnahan discussing his 80’s television show
adaptation when he was asked about the Spielberg film. The Irish actor had this to say:

“I’m not actually playing Lincoln now. I was attached to it for a while, but it’s now - I’m past my sell-by date.”

Just quietly, whilst I don't think anybody these days thinks it would happen - I'm pretty sure one phonecall from the Berg saying they're moving forward with the project would be enough to get Neeson to re-consider.

NotWii

Banned
Hopefully that means Interstellar goes into production sooner than planned, unless Spielberg decides to make TinTin 2 or a remake of Jaws :|

JGS

Banned
Not sure why no Neeson would make it a deal breaker. I say get James Cromwell although he may be too old I guess

Solo

This and Interstellar were never going to happen anyways. Next up on the never-gonna-get-made pile: Scorsese and Leo's Teddy Roosevelt biopic :(

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Solo said:
This and Interstellar were never going to happen anyways. Next up on the never-gonna-get-made pile: Scorsese and Leo's Teddy Roosevelt biopic :(
Don't forget Forever War.

Zeliard

I'm annoyed about this because Liam Neeson as Abraham Lincoln is one of the greatest examples of perfect casting on paper that I can imagine.

DMczaf

Forkball said:
Meanwhile Spielberg made fucking Tintin. Seriously, who even knows who Tintin is? No one in America, probably.

I watched Tintin all the time on HBO when I was a kid. It was awesome! Loved the intro.

jtb

Banned
I'm annoyed that Spielberg is spending so much time on Tin-Tin when it feels like there's so many new avenues he could be exploring - a Lincoln biopic hopefully being one of those avenues. I mean, this is the man that brought us Munich the same year as War of the Worlds. More Munich, less War of the Worlds please.

Zeliard

Tintin will be awesome.

The only problem with it is that he decided to take that French children's series instead of Asterix & Obelix. ;)

DMczaf

the walrus said:
I'm annoyed that Spielberg is spending so much time on Tin-Tin when it feels like there's so many new avenues he could be exploring - a Lincoln biopic hopefully being one of those avenues. I mean, this is the man that brought us Munich the same year as War of the Worlds. More Munich, less War of the Worlds please.

...or he could make both, like he did when he did War of the Worlds and Munich in the same year.

I was able to get Blockbuster Spielberg and Drama Spielberg in the same year again, how can I complain.

mello

Well War Horse is the perfect substitute in the mean time despite how badly I was looking forward to Lincoln.

mello

Forkball said:
Meanwhile Spielberg made fucking Tintin. Seriously, who even knows who Tintin is? No one in America, probably.

It not all about America. ;)
I grew up on Tintin, absolutely adorable.

the walrus said:

And amazingly, Tin Tin and War Horse (which just started shooting) are also in simultaneous production, so I don't understand your complaint.

But yes, Munich is easily one of the best pics of the last decade.

At first glance I thought this thread was either going to be about Liam Neeson being dead, Spielberg being dead, or Neeson killing Spielberg via drowning

S1lent

I rarely get excited about movies, but a Spielberg-directed Lincoln film with Liam Neeson as Lincoln sounds amazing.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Nothing wrong with Spielberg doing TinTin. Sure it will be great.

What I am disappointed with is how the whole lot of them(Scorsese, Ridley, Spielberg, Jackson, and so forth). Have all these projects pending, but keep passing on them for something new.

Scullibundo said:
But yes, Munich is easily one of the best pics of the last decade.
Year it was nominated for Best picture, Sun Times(Or Tribune) were going through the list of why each one should win. Except for Munich, where it said "Token Spielberg nomination". :lol

JdFoX187

Banned
shintoki said:
Nothing wrong with Spielberg doing TinTin. Sure it will be great.

What I am disappointed with is how the whole lot of them(Scorsese, Ridley, Spielberg, Jackson, and so forth). Have all these projects pending, but keep passing on them for something new.
And not actually making anything. Ridley Scott is the only one to make a movie recently. Well, Peter Jackson put out The Lovely Bones, but that's been it.

If Spielberg's not going to do Interstellar, he'd better let SOMEBODY do it; I love big-budget, original science fiction. Produce it, Spielberg! You've got piles of money!

TEJ

Forkball said:

I'm an American who grew up reading the tintin comic.

Dead

well not really...yet
Comparing the Overseas gross of Tintin to the domestic is going to be hilarious :lol

mello

Scullibundo said:
And amazingly, Tin Tin and War Horse (which just started shooting) are also in simultaneous production, so I don't understand your complaint.

Spielberg actually finished filming Tintin towards the end of last year, and passed it on to Weta. War Horse starts shooting sometime in August. 2011 is going to have two Spielberg movies one in the third quarter of the year and the other in the last. :p

gdt

Dead said:
Comparing the Overseas gross of Tintin to the domestic is going to be hilarious :lol

Seriously.

I vaguely sorta kinda remember TinTin, and I didn't even know it was called TinTin!

mello said:
Spielberg actually finished filming Tintin towards the end of last year, and passed it on to Weta. War Horse starts shooting sometime in August. 2011 is going to have two Spielberg movies one in the third quarter of the year and the other in the last. :p

So, you're just repeating the point I'm making?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom