• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightbox (Starhawk) lays off 24 people, moves to iOS development

And me and this guy used to butt heads a lot in the Starhawk beta thread, he really wanted this game to be great. So did I.

I know, right?

Call me crazy, but I have the impression Dylan Jobe is just very full of himself in terms of his game design. He did an interview about why War of the Monsters won't receive a sequel, and he's completely out of touch talking about how WotM sold well on PS2, but couldn't be popular now because. . . uh, stuff?

War of the Monsters could have been massive with more densely populated maps, online multiplayer, and just more of what made WotM GREAT! Especially with fighting games and casual fighters like Smash Bros. being so popular. UGH!

Then he ignores all the issues in Warhawk, goes off to create Starhawk and introduces even more garbage. That's not the way to make games that people want to keep playing dude. You take the recipe and refine it. Smooth it out, make it better than the previous game.

Such a shame. :(

I want to say his involvement with the good games out of Incognito was due to Jaffe and Campbell's involvement.

You see, it's partially a problem of the kind of game they do.

They do good games. Warhawk was amazing, but I didn't buy starhawk. Why? because it requires dedication. A dedication that can't be found for many games nowadays due to time constraints and the amounts of games released in a small timeframe.

The industry needs to shift back to a more singleplayer approach. There are now hundreds of multiplayer games all fighting for peoples time and pretty much all of them get ignored beyond the big titles. I think its easier for people to spend time and money on a 5 hour SP that ends.

jcm

Except without lots of marketing, games will be buried on the iOS store. Games on iOS don't automatically sell 3 billion and make £1,000,000 revenue per day.

Games on IOS don't require a huge investment, so they don't need 1M revenue per day. Thats why so many small teams are heading there. They can self fund them.

Carl

Games on IOS don't require a huge investment, so they don't need 1M revenue per day. Thats why so many small teams are heading there. They can self fund them.

They need to make the money back which a lot dont. In fact i would guess the majority don't

Derrick01

Banned
So they moved to ios huh? That's really the bottom of the barrel, ouch.

I know I said Starhawk was bad but it wasn't bad enough for them to deserve this fate. Well I hope they can find some ounce of success over there when most don't.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

LMAO @ "Alphabeta" I'm going to have to use that for some beta sometime in the future.

But he isn't entirely wrong: I thought there was a good game (but not really for me, kinda like Warhawk actually... *cough*) in the foundation of Starhawk, but it really REALLY needed to remove the item build limit (or fix it to where you aren't being harmed by your own team) to get off the ground. Really, when people are telling you this issue months before launch on many forums, that should've sent alarm bells ringing.

KalBalboa

Banned
What a shame. Lightbox had a lot of history involved with some of my favorite games over the years, talent from War of the Monsters, Twisted Metal, Downhill Domination, Warhawk...

At least the studio remains, but I'm not expecting those types of experiences on IPhones anytime soon.

I am with the guy who said they took too long to release the sequel. I didn't like warhawk at all I thought it was a poor mans battlefield. After bf moved to playstation 3 the warhawk fan base slowly faded away

LMAO @ "Alphabeta" I'm going to have to use that for some beta sometime in the future.

But he isn't entirely wrong: I thought there was a good game (but not really for me, kinda like Warhawk actually... *cough*) in the foundation of Starhawk, but it really REALLY needed to remove the item build limit (or fix it to where you aren't being harmed by your own team) to get off the ground. Really, when people are telling you this issue months before launch on many forums, that should've sent alarm bells ringing.

Completely agree. Every time they fixed something in the beta, they broke something else, and the game never reached a happy medium. They just kept breaking shit.

Then IIRC they released the additional Hawk weapons in the final month of the beta, after such a LONG ass time, and well - we all know how that worked out. Flak Cannon > Everything else.

Scramble to flak cannon, play arcade flight mode, enjoy being able to aim your reticule anywhere on the god damn screen with a deadly weapon for easy kills. UGH.

Pre-built structures that you could build onto would have been a nice way to alleviate the barren maps, which butted heads with the B&B item limits.

But hey, the dudebros could aim their weapons now. Yay?

TheSeks

Uh didn't they just announce a $20,000 MLG tournament for this game or something?

4 months back, 2 months after the game A-bombed.

Also that Necessary Roughness episode was hilarious for all the right reasons as a NR fan. You could tell Dylan (or Sony) spent money on it to try to get people (that probably were watching the show for Callie [So, soccer moms or females mainly] or the trainer/Matt [aka: Gay little ol' Me, and women]) to get the game with a video game addiction episode that only showed the game for maybe... 10 minutes and quite poorly at that.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I really wish people would stop with this "marketing can sell anything" stuff. Its just wrong on so many levels.

You shouldn't need a huge spend to sell a product. Whatever happened to word of mouth? Sales growing organically based on recommendation and buzz?

Does everything have to be created by throwing huge sums of money at a marketing budget and payola for corruptible publications?

Beyond that if you have a huge marketing spend, that's even more money to recoup from sales, and generally speaking only happens when there's massive confidence in the product to begin with.

The reality is that in 9/10 cases the fate of a product is decided based on focus groups and marketing test feedback long before it gets launched. If the sales prediction looks bleak you will most often see your marketing budget go down, not up, because its pointlessly risky to double-down on an outside bet.

And more than anything else, if you think marketing is an issue, the absolute last place you'll turn to iOS where you are at the mercy of whether Apple deigns to feature you on their storefronts, and happen to launch at a time when the big boys aren't hogging the spotlight via promotion or discount.

I have to agree.

There are games that get little to no marketing and are successful and spur sequels, and there are games that get tons of marketing, are unsuccessful, and are done. Using lack of marketing is just a poor excuse for a game that doesn't show well.

TheSeks

Seriously who thought Okaying advertising the game on this episode was worth it? (And that episode probably would've been just as bad even with a fictional game on it. I blame TV writers not doing a good job with "gamers" in general)

jcm

They need to make the money back which a lot dont. In fact i would guess the majority don't

Maybe so, but I'm not sure how much your guess is worth. And anyway, that's a very different statement than your original statement. There are plenty of people making a good living selling ios games.

JJD

Man they should have made Starhawk for the PS4, and implemented an alternative "classic" game mode similar to Warhawk, without the RTS stuff.

It would have a better chance of finding an audience on new hardware on the beginning of a new generation when people are more open to new IPs...

Loved Warhawk to death, bought Star on release day but never got into the game...

So sad to hear we'll probably never see a sequel (to Warhawk) now...

Agent X

I really wish people would stop with this "marketing can sell anything" stuff. Its just wrong on so many levels.

You're accurate in saying "marketing can sell anything" is an incorrect assumption. On the other side of the coin, a lack of marketing by the publisher makes for an staggeringly uphill battle just to get noticed.

Would Starhawk have sold better if there was more marketing muscle behind it? Almost certainly. It might not have been a true blockbuster, but could have helped carry them in a spring and summer that was almost completely devoid of other new first-party hits.

Perhaps at the completion of development, Sony's management felt (privately, not outwardly) that the quality of the game wasn't up to snuff, and figured they'd release it with little fanfare and let it die a quiet death. The problem is that they've done that with nearly every first-party game in the year 2012. Look at Twisted Metal, Sorcery, and practically the entire Vita lineup...totally inadequate marketing, whether or not the games were deserving of that fate. MLB 12: The Show and Uncharted: Golden Abyss have done decently, but almost everything else was (as the cool kids like to say) "sent to die".

What's going to happen later this year with LittleBigPlanet Karting, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Sports Champions 2, and Wonderbook? Will Sony really get behind these games with a serious marketing push (not just PS.Blog for the Internet savvy...I'm talking mainstream media), or will they also be "sent to die"? I don't think any developer (particularly those who are independent) wants to have a first-party publishing deal and then feel like the the first-party company isn't supportive of their efforts. They'll feel like the rug is being yanked out from under them. That will affect the first-party's ability to attract or strike deals with other developers in the future.

Dibbz

You're accurate in saying "marketing can sell anything" is an incorrect assumption. On the other side of the coin, a lack of marketing by the publisher makes for an staggeringly uphill battle just to get noticed.

Would Starhawk have sold better if there was more marketing muscle behind it? Almost certainly. It might not have been a true blockbuster, but could have helped carry them in a spring and summer that was almost completely devoid of other new first-party hits.

Perhaps at the completion of development, Sony's management felt (privately, not outwardly) that the quality of the game wasn't up to snuff, and figured they'd release it with little fanfare and let it die a quiet death. The problem is that they've done that with nearly every first-party game in the year 2012. Look at Twisted Metal, Sorcery, and practically the entire Vita lineup...totally inadequate marketing, whether or not the games were deserving of that fate. MLB 12: The Show and Uncharted: Golden Abyss have done decently, but almost everything else was (as the cool kids like to say) "sent to die".

What's going to happen later this year with LittleBigPlanet Karting, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Sports Champions 2, and Wonderbook? Will Sony really get behind these games with a serious marketing push (not just PS.Blog for the Internet savvy...I'm talking mainstream media), or will they also be "sent to die"? I don't think any developer (particularly those who are independent) wants to have a first-party publishing deal and then feel like the the first-party company isn't supportive of their efforts. They'll feel like the rug is being yanked out from under them. That will affect the first-party's ability to attract or strike deals with other developers in the future.

A few years ago I remember seeing ads on TV for Heavy Rain. What happened to that Sony? They've dropped the ball completely in marketing.

Pranay

Like most of Sony first party stuff.

Most Sony First Party games do sell well despite few bomba like starhawk and resistance 3. Huge mumbers ? no but good enough for a single platform ? Yeah

This year a lot of games have struggled even with proper marketing. Twisted Metal did 220 k First month on a single platform at full price where other games like have been getting numbers similar to it on more platforms with more marketing.

Those 2 are going to be marketed well i feel

Jack_AG

Banned

I kinda agree with him tho. Starhawk was a mildly OK game, at best. It had some GREAT fucking ideas that never really came together cohesively, IMO.

The MP styled SP... that is another huge gripe of mine. The universe created would have been much better served if it was fleshed out into more of an Action/RPG than just "we're plopping you on your average MP styled map and shoving waves of enemies at you."

It felt more like a random challenge mode than it did a proper SP experience.

From my playtime with it - the game would have been better off as a 20 dollar downloadable PSN game for BOTH the SP and MP at launch.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Those 2 are going to be marketed well i feel

Yes, Wonderbook is getting a serious push here in Europe at least.

What's going on with LBP Karting anyway? Is it me, or the game is basically dead (exposure-wise) since the San Diego layoffs?

Never played the game or Warhawk PS3 and best wishes to those who lost their jobs, but this is why I dread the future of gaming with everything escalating through the roof. Why didn't they even advertise this game though? Not saying that would of turned everything around, but most people didn't even know the game was released even after the beta.

Pranay

What's going on with LBP Karting anyway? Is it me, or the game is basically dead (exposure-wise) since the San Diego layoffs?

Wonderbook will do well in Europe.

Dont know what their plan with lpb karting, might completely bomb or might do well during the holidays especialy on black friday.

LPB 2 had sold well during black friday i heard

That pisses me off. What a fucking asshole that poster is. A bunch of people just lost their jobs.

You need to be familiar with the Starhawk/Warhawk forums. He/she has been a persistent thorn in the side of Lightbox forever.

I don't frequent the Sony forums much anymore. Just poked my head in to see restless natives.

Agent X

I believe you're right (from what I've observed), but in North America it's a whole different story. They basically buried it after the E3 showing.

BTW, Wonderbook could be marketed successfully in America, but they can't use the same tactics that they typically employ for games like God of War or Uncharted. If they look at what Microsoft did to promote Kinect and its games, then they might have a good idea of where to start.

Lately, SCEA has either been "full on" (God of War, Uncharted) or "full off" (virtually everything else). There's no tiers in between. Even games like LittleBigPlanet PS Vita have absolutely no mainstream advertising.

It seems that way, unfortunately. It's a shame, since LBP was one of the PS3's spotlight franchises for a while. However, if they couldn't be bothered to open the advertising wallet for LBP Vita (basically a mainline game), then I don't hold much hope for LBP Karting getting the push it needs.

Riposte

I believe this and Twisted Metal launched around the same time (maybe a month apart). They both really didn't get a lot of commercials if I remember correctly

Sony has plenty of IP to work with, but they simply can't make the extra effort to make them stick.

Grayman

Ok I think its safe to say this strategy by SCEA to fund the foundation of smaller independent teams was a bust.

Eat, Sleep, Play went through the same thing. Founded by ex staffers and was financially backed by Sony. They then release one game that is poorly marketed and not really up to snuff with other big budget multiplayer games and they get out of there contract and run off to mobile.

I wont be shocked if the same happens to Superbot.

In hindsight it seems like a bad plan to work for Sony without the benfits of being a part of Sony.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Never played starhawk, but warhawk was one of my favorite ps3 games.

Still remember picking up the Bluetooth headset combo box on launch day.

Grayman

I got Media Molecule, ThatGameCompany, Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, and Quantic Dream on the line, who's success story do you want to hear first?

Naughty Dog, Sucker and Media Molecule are owned by Sony. TGC and Quantic Dream are not made up of people who left Sony then made the exact game exclusively for Sony with less support.

They were successful way before joining Sony.

So, the point is they stuck with Sony and were rewarded handsomely and now have grown into two full teams making back to back games.

Naughty Dog, Sucker and Media Molecule are owned by Sony. TGC and Quantic Dream are not made up of people who left Sony then made the exact game exclusively for Sony with less support.

Coming into this gen they weren't, and that wasn't the point being made.

EDIT: I was wrong about Naughty Dog, they were acquired last gen, my bad.

jrDev

So, the point is they stuck with Sony and were rewarded handsomely and now have grown into two full teams making back to back games.

Coming into this gen they weren't, and that wasn't the point being made.

EDIT: I was wrong about Naughty Dog, they were acquired last gen, my bad.

Sony will cut ties when they need to. Who knows what will happen going into next gen.

Let's just admit some developers are winners and others are losers.

Nature of the beast.

Naughty Dog established their position by delivering more of the same for the better part of every console generation.

Lightbox bottomed out by throwing the baby out with the bathwater. They made a game Warhawk fans didn't want, and a game Call of Duty fans only took a passing interest in - if at all.

Not saying developers shouldn't take chances, but when you're risking as much as Lightbox did out of the gate; perhaps it's best to play it safe and improve upon a proven concept?

DMeisterJ

Banned

Nature of the beast.

Naughty Dog established their position by delivering more of the same for the better part of every console generation.

Lightbox bottomed out by throwing the baby out with the bathwater. They made a game Warhawk fans didn't want, and a game Call of Duty fans only took a passing interest in - if at all.

Not saying developers shouldn't take chances, but when you're risking as much as Lightbox did out of the gate; perhaps it's best to play it safe and improve upon a proven concept?

Yeah.

Warhawk 2 would have been great. A game that isn't Warhawk 2 wasn't that good of an idea. Developers should develop what they know until they're established.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Nature of the beast.

Yup, and it's really sad.

I think part of the problem is with SCE -it's their money after all- when they saw the horrible worthless SP mode and RTS elements and all that stuff they should told Dylan to drop all that useless things and make Warhawk 2.

This really remind me of Red Faction:Armageddon.

Top Bottom