• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightbox (Starhawk) lays off 24 people, moves to iOS development

sajj316

Surely there has to be something else that offers these studios with smaller development budgets and a need for bigger profit margins ... annoyed by another team going iOS

PSM? PSN? XBLA?

Surely there has to be something else that offers these studios with smaller development budgets and a need for bigger profit margins ... annoyed by another team going iOS

PSM? PSN? XBLA?

They will all come crawling back in a few years once the mobile game market is so saturated with software that every game they release fades into obscurity in days.

Carl

Hope they manage to find success on iOS, unlike many other companies. To be honest, if the game isn't marketed there it will probably do even worse than Starhawk.

Carl

Atleast ESP made a good game and it sold well decently. 500k i think .

Starhawk was aweful and the fans who loved warhawk hated it

I know, i was one of the fans that loved Warhawk :p Spent over 1000 hours on it and never bought Starhawk

gaming_noob

Can we round the numbers on how many studios have been closed by MS and Sony this gen? Sorry I'm on my slowass iPhone 3g so I'm sorry if it's mwntoned.

Ok I think its safe to say this strategy by SCEA to fund the foundation of smaller independent teams was a bust.

Eat, Sleep, Play went through the same thing. Founded by ex staffers and was financially backed by Sony. They then release one game that is poorly marketed and not really up to snuff with other big budget multiplayer games and they get out of there contract and run off to mobile.

I wont be shocked if the same happens to Superbot.

ZoddGutts

Put hundreds of hours into Warhawk. Played the Starhawk demo and thought it sucked. People just wanted Warhawk in space, not some tower defence game with a dumb story on a muddy brown planet.

Another studio that made a game its fans did not want and suffered the consequences.

Yeah also the game took too long to come out (5 years!) because they spend too much time and resources for the single player, bad move. People just wanted a sequel to Warhawk with improvements and new game modes. Bam release the game less than two years after Warhawk at a 20-25 bucks, but nope they went to a whole another direction that people did not like at all.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
They couldn't have spent that much time on the SP. They basically dropped you into a MP map and threw enemy waves at you.

Pranay

Ok I think its safe to say this strategy by SCEA to fund the foundation of smaller independent teams was a bust.

Eat, Sleep, Play went through the same thing. Founded by ex staffers and was financially backed by Sony. They then release one game that is poorly marketed and get out of there contract and run off to mobile.

I wont be shocked if the same happens to Superbot.

I dont think it will happen to superbot and their game will better then both of them combined

Carl

Weren't Eat Sleep Play and Lightbox both formed from ex Incognito employees?

Kind of weird that they both ended up going the same way (contract dropped after one game, switched to iOS development).

Pranay

Weren't Eat Sleep Play and Lightbox both formed from ex Incognito employees?

Kind of weird that they both ended up going the same way (contract dropped after one game, switched to iOS development).

I think Sony did this with a few others [?] in the past as well

Agent X

It's sad to hear about the layoffs affecting LightBox Interactive.

It also sucks that we might not see anymore full-scale games from them for console platforms. However, I doubt the transition to mobile gaming was a sudden decision, but rather a move that they had planned for months. I do hope for the best for their team and their new focus; perhaps they can toss out something for PlayStation Mobile fans as well.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
iOS and Android really are the future.. It sucks seeing console gaming slowly fade.. More and more developers will go this way.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012...tbox-interactive-hit-with-layoffs-moving-away

LightBox Interactive, the Austin-based developer behind PlayStation 3 game Starhawk, has laid off 24 of its employees, studio founder and president Dylan Jobe tells Polygon. The layoffs are part of a "shift in product strategy" at LightBox, Jobe says, which includes a move away from traditional console development.

Jobe says he's not shutting down LightBox Interactive. Instead, the company will self-fund a small, focused indie-style team to bring the developer's next game to iOS, not the PlayStation 3.

It somehow seems right that this was announced by Wario64.

Best of luck to those laid-off. But...what could LB make for iOS, given the style of game they made on consoles?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
funkystudent said:
They then release one game that is poorly marketed and get out of there contract and run off to mobile.

I really wish people would stop with this "marketing can sell anything" stuff. Its just wrong on so many levels.

You shouldn't need a huge spend to sell a product. Whatever happened to word of mouth? Sales growing organically based on recommendation and buzz?

Does everything have to be created by throwing huge sums of money at a marketing budget and payola for corruptible publications?

Beyond that if you have a huge marketing spend, that's even more money to recoup from sales, and generally speaking only happens when there's massive confidence in the product to begin with.

The reality is that in 9/10 cases the fate of a product is decided based on focus groups and marketing test feedback long before it gets launched. If the sales prediction looks bleak you will most often see your marketing budget go down, not up, because its pointlessly risky to double-down on an outside bet.

And more than anything else, if you think marketing is an issue, the absolute last place you'll turn to iOS where you are at the mercy of whether Apple deigns to feature you on their storefronts, and happen to launch at a time when the big boys aren't hogging the spotlight via promotion or discount.

Yagharek

This gen is a graveyard for too many developers. Why is it so unaffordable and unprofitable for so many studios? Production costs? Management costs? What gives?

Carl

iOS and Android really are the future.. It sucks seeing console gaming slowly fade.. More and more developers will go this way.

Except without lots of marketing, games will be buried on the iOS store. Games on iOS don't automatically sell 3 billion and make £1,000,000 revenue per day.

I really wish people would stop with this "marketing can sell anything" stuff. Its just wrong on so many levels.

You shouldn't need a huge spend to sell a product. Whatever happened to word of mouth? Sales growing organically based on recommendation and buzz?

Does everything have to be created by throwing huge sums of money at a marketing budget and payola for corruptible publications?

Beyond that if you have a huge marketing spend, that's even more money to recoup from sales, and generally speaking only happens when there's massive confidence in the product to begin with.

The reality is that in 9/10 cases the fate of a product is decided based on focus groups and marketing test feedback long before it gets launched. If the sales prediction looks bleak you will most often see your marketing budget go down, not up, because its pointlessly risky to double-down on an outside bet.

And more than anything else, if you think marketing is an issue, the absolute last place you'll turn to iOS where you are at the mercy of whether Apple deigns to feature you on their storefronts, and happen to launch at a time when the big boys aren't hogging the spotlight via promotion or discount.

I can't say it enough this game had no chance after the beta.

I never understood why they made their games PS3 exclusive. The lost sales must be tremendous

it was one of those caught in the middle, not top line or heavily hyped games that really struggle these days. being on xbox too wouldn't have helped this type of game imo.

Other than I guess, probably a doubling of sales or so, which sounds good but probably still wouldn't have effected this overall outcome.

Pranay

When did you start hating on Starhawk? Seems sudden.

When i played it a month back and also played warhawk in my friends house. He was a huge warhawk fan.

Though I applaud they supported the game well with the DLC, Patches etc and that too free.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The writing was on the wall when they announced all the DLC was going to be free right before the game came out.

Yeah, because that caused Valve/et. al. that has gone that route harm before, right?

OH WAIT.

No the issue was that the multiplayer had a 32 TEAM build item limit, and because of that you were constantly fighting your public team to expand bases in objective modes. And because of that problem people complained to Lightbox about it during the BETA phase. But they didn't listen until after the game launched (and dropped like an A-bomb) two months or so later, which is past the point where most people are going to care if you fixed your game after a sub-par beta that turned many people (including me, actually) off.

Really, Lightbox should've listened to fundamental issues during the beta and why some Warhawk players were hating it because they had completely valid reasons for some of the issues.

theman5141

Neo Member
Yeah, this is rather portentous.

The number of developers either closing shop entirely or re-structuring around the notion of maximizing returns on bite-sized, shallow experiences is staggering this gen.

Yeah, because that caused Valve/et. al. that has gone that route harm before, right?

OH WAIT.

No the issue was that the multiplayer had a 32 TEAM build item limit, and because of that you were constantly fighting your public team to expand bases in objective modes. And because of that problem people complained to Lightbox about it during the BETA phase. But they didn't listen until after the game launched (and dropped like an A-bomb) two months or so later, which is past the point where most people are going to care if you fixed your game after a sub-par beta that turned many people (including me, actually) off.

Exactly, people like myself were in the Beta forums calling for prebuilt permanent structures and capturable bases that could be fortified and expanded by Build and Battle in November of last year. 7 months! 7 months before release. People saw this coming, they refused to adjust. Instead they put out a few surveys around what people wanted, wanna guess what those surveys consisted of? Primarily questions about Hawks and how they control. They focused on the wrong things and ultimately paid the price.

Sad I know, but I have to feel that if they had perm. structures and capturable bases this game would have had a lot better beta and thus better sales.

Rest in Peace.

Sadly I saw this coming as well.

Now Western developers now have the equivalent of Pachinko Hell that formerly sweet Japanese developers have been relegated to for years now with mobile game development.

Does anybody from the Sony forums recall the Dylan Jobe photoshop thread from a few months back? I saved this image from there:

4rnyZ.gif

Such a shame. Warhawk was one of the most unique experiences on any of the current consoles this generation, and Starhawk threw that all out the window to pursue demographics that could give a shit about what Warhawk offered. It made assumptions about console gamers playing a resource limited game like PC gamers, but then dumbed down other mechanics that wouldn't scare off PC gamers (flight mechanics).

Rest in Peace.

Sadly I saw this coming as well.

Now Western developers now have the equivalent of Pachinko Hell that formerly sweet Japanese developers have been relegated to for years now with mobile game development.

Does anybody from the Sony forums recall the Dylan Jobe photoshop thread from a few months back? I saved this image from there:

Such a shame. Warhawk was one of the most unique experiences on any of the current consoles this generation, and Starhawk threw that all out the window to pursue demographics that could give a shit about what Warhawk offered. It made assumptions about console gamers playing a resource limited game like PC gamers, but then dumbed down other mechanics that wouldn't scare off PC gamers (flight mechanics).

And me and this guy used to butt heads a lot in the Starhawk beta thread, he really wanted this game to be great. So did I.

You see, it's partially a problem of the kind of game they do.

They do good games. Warhawk was amazing, but I didn't buy starhawk. Why? because it requires dedication. A dedication that can't be found for many games nowadays due to time constraints and the amounts of games released in a small timeframe.

Top Bottom